PDA

View Full Version : PACK and THEIR OWN--WHO WILL THEY TRY TO KEEP ????

Bretsky
01-27-2010, 10:47 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/82856802.html

Bretsky
01-27-2010, 10:51 PM
a couple comments on the article

The way Tausch adds to the chemistry of this team, and the way they played after they arrived would make it very disappointing if GB makes little effort to bring him back. I'm sure he'll get an OK contract somewhere and hopefully it's here

Pickett....they're going to keep him

Colledge...tender him with a 2nd

Bigby...no surprise that they are debating on what to do with that guy

Clifton....good to hear they will make an effort

Sometimes you gotta wonder where the JS guys get their information but I've always believed they get insider info somewhere

It should be interesting to see six months from now how accurate this is

RashanGary
01-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Most of these guys are restricted.

With Kampmans age, injury and his not-so-great fit, I'm not too worried if we lose him.

Tausch and Clifton are guys that it would be nice to keep around one more year. I don't picture either of them getting even moderately big offers with their age and recent injury history. We should be able to keep one or both if we choose to.

Pickett seems like he has a good chance of coming back.

After that, they're all restricted. We're not going to lose much, if anything this year.

The most important part of this off season is going to be the draft (hopefully we can find a start OL and some other valuable parts). The next most important part is going to be keeping Pickett, then Tasuch and Clifton, but just one of them would probably be enough if we got a good one in the draft and Lang continued to develop.

Bretsky
01-27-2010, 10:58 PM

With Kampmans age, injury and his not-so-great fit, I'm not too worried if we lose him.

Tausch and Clifton are guys that it would be nice to keep around one more year. I don't picture either of them getting even moderately big offers with their age and recent injury history. We should be able to keep one or both if we choose to.

After that, they're all restricted. We're not going to lose much, if anything this year.

The most important part of this off season is going to be the draft (hopefully we can find a start OL and some other valuable parts). The next most important part is going to be keeping Pickett, then Tasuch and Clifton, but just one of them would probably be enough if we got a good one in the draft and Lang continued to develop.

After last year Colledge seems to be less and less important. Spitz had the better year, Sitton is stellar, and Wells may have been a better Center than Colledge a Guard. They might be playing poker with him though; if they tender him with a 2nd and a team signs him I think they take the 2nd and run.

With no agreement we may just wait it all out with most of these guys and sign them to one year deals around training camp

SkinBasket
01-27-2010, 11:06 PM

NO SURPRISE?!?!

According to several well informed packerrats, Bigby alone was responsible for our defense this year! ALL OF IT! ALL OUR DEFENSE BELONGS TO ATARI! How could we not tender him!? Oh lordy lordy lordy! Sweet Baby Jesus help us all if we don't!

Joemailman
01-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Well, I guess we can drop Bigby right now if people would rather see Jarrett Bush starting there. Hopefully, an upgrade will come from the draft, but right now Bigby is as good as we've got at SS.

Bretsky
01-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Well, I guess we can drop Bigby right now if people would rather see Jarrett Bush starting there. Hopefully, an upgrade will come from the draft, but right now Bigby is as good as we've got at SS.

Can we have Frank Walker Back; who'd have ever thought he'd look good on paper in our secondary :lol:

pbmax
01-27-2010, 11:31 PM
I think Greg Bedard must have a closed head injury, or something similar. Or the editors are doing him no favors. Maybe he actually writes in Portuguese and this is the closest translation (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/82856802.html) they can get in a few hours time.

[Rodgers] "Our key is going to be (that) we've got to bring back a lot of those same guys we had last year ... As long as we can keep that core group of guys together. I believe in (coach) Mike McCarthy and the direction that he is taking this team."

[Bedard:]Rodgers may not get his wish.

According to multiple sources assembled at the Senior Bowl, the Packers' off-season plan doesn't include retaining all of their free agents.
Please tell me what the disparity is.

General manager Ted Thompson said this week that T.J. Lang, a fourth-round pick in 2009, can play left tackle and will be given a chance to do so.

"We'll see," Thompson said. "He's got some growing to do."
Perhaps English is not Bedard's native tongue. Or perhaps, Greg needs a vacation.

The Packers' top priority is re-signing nose tackle Ryan Pickett, who is one of five Packers set to become unrestricted free agents....

Beyond Pickett, the Packers haven't entered into contract talks with any of their other free agents.

In the unrestricted category are left tackle Chad Clifton, right tackle Mark Tauscher, linebacker Aaron Kampman and running back Ahman Green....

But once Pickett's deal is done, the Packers will move to retain Clifton ...

Of the Packers' other unrestricted free agents, offering Kampman a contract is the only move they are set to do.

When asked if the team will definitely offer Kampman a contract, Thompson said: "I'm sure we will."
OK, so despite not having started contract talks with the UFAs, Bedard has gathered information that the Packers intend to make an effort to keep three of the five, and the possibility exists that Green will win out a spot in TC and that Tauscher could get a low veteran contract offer.

So how is Rodgers not getting his wish?

Gunakor
01-28-2010, 02:25 AM

Can we have Frank Walker Back; who'd have ever thought he'd look good on paper in our secondary :lol:

He never looked good actually playing in our secondary, however. No thank you. At least Bigby will occasionally make that drive ending INT in the end zone to prevent sure points. From time to time Bigby has looked the part, which is much more than anybody can say for Walker.

Gunakor
01-28-2010, 02:29 AM

NO SURPRISE?!?!

According to several well informed packerrats, Bigby alone was responsible for our defense this year! ALL OF IT! ALL OUR DEFENSE BELONGS TO ATARI! How could we not tender him!? Oh lordy lordy lordy! Sweet Baby Jesus help us all if we don't!

You can't argue the timeline. The defense kicked into the next gear with Bigby's return from injury. Maybe another SS could have done the same thing, in fact I'm sure there are others that could have done as well as Bigby, but there aren't any on OUR team.

When we get someone better, then we'll talk about getting rid of Bigby.

SkinBasket
01-28-2010, 07:49 AM

NO SURPRISE?!?!

You can't argue the timeline. The defense kicked into the next gear with Bigby's return from injury. Maybe another SS could have done the same thing, in fact I'm sure there are others that could have done as well as Bigby, but there aren't any on OUR team.

I know! Without Bigby, this defense obviously would have been in the bottom two instead of the top two! He brought the magical peanut butter that kept this defensive jelly sandwich together and then he really solidified the middle of the field against Arizona in the playoffs with his excellent safety play! Hallelujah!

Despite that, the issue is whether we keep him moving forward. No one's arguing that we do have a better player right now. I'm assuming the Packers would attempt to find another safety if they don't try to keep Bigby.

Then again, I don't know why they don't just let Kampman go, cut Al Harris, trade Matthews and Woodson, fire Capers, and use that money to sign Bigby to a massive contract, considering that some of you guys believe he was exponentially more important to our defense than all those guys combined.

mraynrand
01-28-2010, 08:36 AM
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/LordBigby.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
01-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Not sure I get the Atari of the Sea story. Why is he pulling Brandon Chiller out of the water? Must be something from the bible.

Chewy was right last spring: shoulda traded Kampman while the trading was good.

BlueBrewer
01-28-2010, 09:25 AM

Im worried about Kampman wearing purple....

get louder at lambeau
01-28-2010, 10:06 AM
I'm assuming the Packers would attempt to find another safety if they don't try to keep Bigby.

Really going out on a limb there, huh Skin? Either they will keep their existing starter or try to get a new one? :lol:

I have a strong feeling that Mr. Bedard doesn't know much of anything more than the average fan does, and makes educated guesses from there. Why would the Packers NOT want Bigby back, when they have almost zero depth behind him? Even if they draft a safety, why would they want him to be backed up by only guys like Bush and Giacomini? I think the smart money says Bigby will be back.

Smidgeon
01-28-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm assuming the Packers would attempt to find another safety if they don't try to keep Bigby.

Really going out on a limb there, huh Skin? Either they will keep there existing starter or try to get a new one? :lol:

I have a strong feeling that Mr. Bedard doesn't know much of anything more than the average fan does, and makes educated guesses from there. Why would the Packers NOT want Bigby back, when they have almost zero depth behind him? Even if they draft a safety, why would they want him to be backed up by only guys like Bush and Giacomini? I think the smart money says Bigby will be back.

The way the backup safeties were playing, it probably isn't much of a stretch to see Giacomini as safety depth...

hoosier
01-28-2010, 10:22 AM

Not going to happen. No way, no how.

Smidgeon
01-28-2010, 10:26 AM

Even if it did, I don't think I'd lose much sleep over it. I still think he'd be good and would be made better by Allen being on the other end, but he isn't as good as Allen. They both have unstoppable motors and could feed off each other, but I'd still worry about K Williams and Allen first.

get louder at lambeau
01-28-2010, 10:31 AM

Don't the Vikes have restrictions on who they can sign? I think they can only sign a big FA if they lose a big FA, right?

gbgary
01-28-2010, 10:49 AM
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/LordBigby.jpg

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/lol.gif

mission
01-28-2010, 11:22 AM

Really going out on a limb there, huh Skin? Either they will keep there existing starter or try to get a new one? :lol:

The way the backup safeties were playing, it probably isn't much of a stretch to see Giacomini as safety depth...

He's a little big to be playing in the secondary I think.

Lurker64
01-28-2010, 11:23 AM

A statement that applies to both Taylor Mays and Breno Giacomini ;)

get louder at lambeau
01-28-2010, 11:30 AM

Oh yeah- Giordano. Goddamn, my brain has been misfiring on names even worse than usual lately. I'll just have to go back to calling everyone Whats-his-fuck.

SkinBasket
01-28-2010, 11:47 AM

Really going out on a limb there, huh Skin? Either they will keep their existing starter or try to get a new one? :lol:

Uhhhh...

That was kind of the point I was making in response to whoever it was who said Atari is the best SS we have and that we would have to wait until we got someone better before talking about replacing Bigby. I was pointing out that... ah fuck it. I haven't got the energy.

Maybe we don't want Bigby back because he sucks monkey cock, and worse, gets injured while doing it. Maybe. It's just one reason, but there are many to choose from. Hopefully we don't tender him and he goes to Minnesota. That would be the best contribution to the Packers he could probably make next year.

I've also checked my considerable sources and Giacomini has no intention of playing safety of any sort.

vince
01-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Bigby is replaceable by someone better no doubt. Your assumption as fact that the coaching staff doesn't want Bigby back based on this article is tenuous at best.

get louder at lambeau
01-28-2010, 12:00 PM

Uhhhh...

That was kind of the point I was making in response to whoever it was who said Atari is the best SS we have and that we would have to wait until we got someone better before talking about replacing Bigby. I was pointing out that... ah fuck it. I haven't got the energy.

Maybe we don't want Bigby back because he sucks monkey cock, and worse, gets injured while doing it. Maybe. It's just one reason, but there are many to choose from. Hopefully we don't tender him and he goes to Minnesota. That would be the best contribution to the Packers he could probably make next year.

I've also checked my considerable sources and Giacomini has no intention of playing safety of any sort.

So you think we're better off starting from scratch at SS. I think it makes more sense to tender our current starter who is an RFA, and draft some competition for him. I like to try to think rationally that way. I know it's not for everyone. :wink:

And thanks for being the fourth person to correct my brain fart on the name of our 5th string Italian safety. It's always funniest the fourth time. :lol:

Lurker64
01-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Bigby is replaceable by someone better no doubt. Your assumption as fact that the coaching staff doesn't want Bigby back based on this article is tenuous at best.

I don't see why they wouldn't want Bigby back. Bigby is better than the guy who backs up Bigby, hence the person we're looking to replace on the roster is not Bigby but everybody behind him on the depth chart.

Bigby is an adequate backup safety in the league.

mngolf19
01-28-2010, 12:50 PM

Don't the Vikes have restrictions on who they can sign? I think they can only sign a big FA if they lose a big FA, right?

Yeah they do but at some point in time they should be free. Just don't know that exactly. But I think they will make a play for AK.

MichiganPackerFan
01-28-2010, 12:54 PM
A coffee chain back in Michigan. I bet he could get a job there if he learned how to spell his damn name right.

http://twinoaksplaza.com/images/BIGGBYLogoVERT.jpg

pbmax
01-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Thompson has not let the lack of an obvious backup get in his way before when moving forward without someone. But in Bigby's case, especially if he is an RFA, I can't see him getting expensive enough to cost more than his value.

But they need something back there beside the two putative starters and the current collection of backups.

Smidgeon
01-28-2010, 01:00 PM

Uhhhh...

I didn't exactly see a lot of intention playing RT this last year either, so maybe it isn't that far fetched. :mrgreen:

red
01-28-2010, 01:09 PM
i guess i'm in the minority in thinking tauscher is a better keep then clifton.

chad is being held together by rubber bands and duct tape these days

if it was my choice and i only got to keep one of them, it would be tauscher

and i just don't understand resigning kampman, unless they're going to fatten him up to play back on the line. or to tag him and try and get something for him, even if its a 4th rounder at this point. i think they're best bet though might be to let him walk and try and pick up a 3rd round compensation pick for losing him in next years draft

KYPack
01-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Thompson has not let the lack of an obvious backup get in his way before when moving forward without someone. But in Bigby's case, especially if he is an RFA, I can't see him getting expensive enough to cost more than his value.

But they need something back there beside the two putative starters and the current collection of backups.

That has been a disturbing tendency of his. And he has stayed pretty true to it. Get rid of the starter when we have no back-up sure seems like a flawed policy to me. Losing your starting RT? No problem, we'll just move our back-up guard over there.

Your punter giving you second thoughts? Cut him and put a waiver FA in there.
He's done the same thing with the guards, FB, and back-up QB. In some cases, it worked. I thought the Barbre to starting RT was really lunacy. He hasn't proven to be a capable NFL starter, let along a starting RT. The Tausch situation really saved our asses there.

I still think we should bring in a proven back-up QB, some OLineman. And oh yeah, a whole herd of punters. That and cut one of those FB's.

get louder at lambeau
01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
And oh yeah, a whole herd of punters.

I don't think punters are beefy enough to have their grouping called a herd. Maybe a flock of punters? A gaggle?

Lurker64
01-28-2010, 02:18 PM

Yeah they do but at some point in time they should be free. Just don't know that exactly. But I think they will make a play for AK.

Actually, as I understand it, the following rule applies to the Vikings (and Saints, Colts, and Jets) in free agency this year:

The final four teams shall not be permitted to negotiate and sign any unrestricted free agent to a player contract except for players who acquired their status by being cut or were on the final four team when their contract expired.

So, since Kampman will become a free agent this year by having his contract expire with the Packers, the Vikings will be entirely barred from negotiating with him without a CBA extension before the league year starts in March.

If the Packers, for some reason, elected to cut Kampman before he became a free agent, the Vikings would be able to sign him.

SkinBasket
01-28-2010, 02:37 PM

Uhhhh...

So you think we're better off starting from scratch at SS. I think it makes more sense to tender our current starter who is an RFA, and draft some competition for him. I like to try to think rationally that way. I know it's not for everyone. :wink:

And thanks for being the fourth person to correct my brain fart on the name of our 5th string Italian safety. It's always funniest the fourth time. :lol:

I don't know if we're better off starting entirely from scratch, but I certainly think it's a possibility that we would be. Clinging on to garbage in the hope that it suddenly turns into gold isn't always the most rational approach either. I would think tendering him would be more of a sure thing if he could contribute on special teams.

As far as Giacomini goes, I apologize. Next time I'll try to time my response to work around your mental limitations and spare your precious little feelings. That was mean of me not to read everyone's resposnes before composing my own.

Smidgeon
01-28-2010, 02:48 PM
And oh yeah, a whole herd of punters.

I don't think punters are beefy enough to have their grouping called a herd. Maybe a flock of punters? A gaggle?

A "whiff" of punters?

get louder at lambeau
01-28-2010, 02:59 PM
As far as Giacomini goes, I apologize. Next time I'll try to time my response to work around your mental limitations and spare your precious little feelings. That was mean of me not to read everyone's resposnes before composing my own.

Don't worry, my feelings aren't injured too badly. I'm sure they'll grow back. I've been accused of worse than switching the similar last names of two 3rd string Italian football players before, believe it or not. Thank you for your concern, though. :cry:

Back to the correct term for a group of punters- a "puff"?

SkinBasket
01-28-2010, 03:02 PM

I assumed no such thing. Hope would be the more accurate descriptor. Articles like this give me hope. I have no idea what the organization plans to do with the RFAs.

vince
01-28-2010, 03:20 PM
That was kind of the point I was making in response to whoever it was who said Atari is the best SS we have and that we would have to wait until we got someone better before talking about replacing Bigby.

Maybe we don't want Bigby back because he sucks monkey cock...
Appears to me that you're referring to "we" as the Packers and that you state "we" don't want Bigby as if it's fact.

Bedard has proven that his sources tend to have unreliable information when it comes to projecting Ted Thompson's thoughts and future moves.

And I'm betting Bigby is strictly an herbivore when it comes to sucking things by the way.

KYPack
01-28-2010, 03:24 PM
I'll rip Sidgeon here.

I believe regarding Packer booters, it would be called a whole "stench" of punters.

Smidgeon
01-28-2010, 03:30 PM

Don't worry, my feelings aren't injured too badly. I'm sure they'll grow back. I've been accused of worse than switching the similar last names of two 3rd string Italian football players before, believe it or not. Thank you for your concern, though. :cry:

On my lunch break the perfect name for a group of punters occured to me: a "shank" of punters.

LP
01-28-2010, 03:37 PM

After all the knee problems and such, Chad might be ready to hang em up on his own. I seem to remember reading an article somewhere in the past couple years (JSO, GBG, here?) that had him saying he hoped to be able to play out his current contract. That would give him 10 years in the league and was all he ever expected or wanted to do.

pbmax
01-28-2010, 04:09 PM

After all the knee problems and such, Chad might be ready to hang em up on his own. I seem to remember reading an article somewhere in the past couple years (JSO, GBG, here?) that had him saying he hoped to be able to play out his current contract. That would give him 10 years in the league and was all he ever expected or wanted to do.
Not yet. Prior to the 2009 season, perhaps after seeing his 401k take a dip and not recover completely, said he was looking forward to continue to play after the four surgeries had him feeling better in the preseason than he had in a long time.

Bretsky
01-28-2010, 04:33 PM

He never looked good actually playing in our secondary, however. No thank you. At least Bigby will occasionally make that drive ending INT in the end zone to prevent sure points. From time to time Bigby has looked the part, which is much more than anybody can say for Walker.

I think Frank Walker was playing more CB for the Ravens, wasn't he ? I'd take him over Bush, Bell, and the rest of the B Team we had after our starters

Joemailman
01-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Maybe I've got it wrong, but I'm really underwhelmed by the available talent at 3-4 OLB in this draft. Because of that, I think TT makes a strong push to keep Kampman here. I don't think Kampman struggled as much as a lot of people think, and should be better if he can fully recover from the injury.

Fritz
01-28-2010, 04:45 PM

I think Frank Walker was playing more CB for the Ravens, wasn't he ? I'd take him over Bush, Bell, and the rest of the B Team we had after our starters

Bretsky, you're losing your mind. Frank Walkere?

Criminy, man, the draft's coming up. A rookie fifth rounder might look better than Frank Walker. Buck up!

Gunakor
01-28-2010, 05:33 PM

NO SURPRISE?!?!

I know! Without Bigby, this defense obviously would have been in the bottom two instead of the top two! He brought the magical peanut butter that kept this defensive jelly sandwich together and then he really solidified the middle of the field against Arizona in the playoffs with his excellent safety play! Hallelujah!

Despite that, the issue is whether we keep him moving forward. No one's arguing that we do have a better player right now. I'm assuming the Packers would attempt to find another safety if they don't try to keep Bigby.

Then again, I don't know why they don't just let Kampman go, cut Al Harris, trade Matthews and Woodson, fire Capers, and use that money to sign Bigby to a massive contract, considering that some of you guys believe he was exponentially more important to our defense than all those guys combined.

Oh I agree, you'd always look for an upgrade. But you seemed surprised that they'd tender Bigby in the first place. Why not just tender Bigby WHILE looking for someone better? Last thing you'd want is to lose Bigby because you wouldn't make an offer in the first place, only to find that you can't find anyone better.

Bottom line is we don't have anybody that can do what Bigby does on our roster right now, so you do what you can to keep Bigby until you find someone who can do what he does better than he does it. Even if you assume the Packers are looking for an upgrade, you shouldn't assume they'll definitely find one.

Nobody ever implied Bigby should get a massive contract. Why the extremes - either Bigby is cut and gone or he's getting this huge contract. How about Bigby gets a nice little tender that's still worth peanuts compared to other SS in the NFL, and if we find someone else we let them compete for the job? Then if and when Bigby loses we have a serviceable backup safety, something we didn't really have this year. It's crazy, I know, but it just might work! Think we should give it a try?

KYPack
01-28-2010, 06:48 PM

Slot and nickel corner.

He's pretty good at it.

Thankless job.

Best slot corner I've ever seen was Al Harris.

Terrell Buckley was the second best. I know, everybody in GB hemorrhages when ya say that, but it's true.

KYPack
01-28-2010, 06:49 PM

On my lunch break the perfect name for a group of punters occured to me: a "shank" of punters.

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner.

A fucking "shank" it is.

That's what we need, a shank of punters and one of 'em that's worth a shit.

get louder at lambeau
01-28-2010, 07:52 PM

Terrell Buckley was the second best. I know, everybody in GB hemorrhages when ya say that, but it's true.

Here's an interesting stat that shows how far off public opinion of a player can be-

NFL Defensive Player Of The Year Charles Woodson currently has 45 INTs in his 12 year career. Terrell Buckley had 47 in the first 12 years of his. One is a Packer hero, the other is considered a joke and wasted draft pick. I only hope Jarrett Bush ends up the next Terrell Buckley, and not the next Joey Thomas.

Joemailman
01-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Well, it might have something to do with the fact that only 10 of Buckley's INT's came as a Packer, whereas 26 of Woodson's INT's have come as a Packer. Or it might have to do with Buckley's tendency to be hopefully out of position due to lack of discipline whereas Woodson is almost always where he should be. Or it might have something to do with the fact that Buckley liked to let his mouth do the talking, whereas Chuck let's his play do the talking. Bucklet got better after he Packers traded him, but as a Packer he was a huge disappointment.

SkinBasket
01-28-2010, 09:53 PM

NO SURPRISE?!?!

Oh I agree, you'd always look for an upgrade. But you seemed surprised that they'd tender Bigby in the first place. Why not just tender Bigby WHILE looking for someone better? Last thing you'd want is to lose Bigby because you wouldn't make an offer in the first place, only to find that you can't find anyone better.

Bottom line is we don't have anybody that can do what Bigby does on our roster right now, so you do what you can to keep Bigby until you find someone who can do what he does better than he does it. Even if you assume the Packers are looking for an upgrade, you shouldn't assume they'll definitely find one.

Nobody ever implied Bigby should get a massive contract. Why the extremes - either Bigby is cut and gone or he's getting this huge contract. How about Bigby gets a nice little tender that's still worth peanuts compared to other SS in the NFL, and if we find someone else we let them compete for the job? Then if and when Bigby loses we have a serviceable backup safety, something we didn't really have this year. It's crazy, I know, but it just might work! Think we should give it a try?

The massive Bigby contract was a joke based on the assertions of several posters here that Bigby is the sole reason this defense turned the corner.

I'm not surprised they would tender him. In fact, I thought he was under contract for another 2 years. I think he's the weakest link in this defense, so I hope they don't tender him. My assumption being that they would have someone else in mind or in place that would be an upgrade. I understand my version of upgrade is a few notches lower than others' version of an upgrade, but I think when you look at this defense as a whole, SS has got to be one of the first places you look to make drastic (hopefully in a positive direction) changes, as I happen to think it's obvious that it's the weakest position on the defense.

Honestly I think Bush is close to Bigby as far as value and talent go. And that's not a good thing for Atari.

KYPack
01-28-2010, 10:54 PM

Here's an interesting stat that shows how far off public opinion of a player can be-

NFL Defensive Player Of The Year Charles Woodson currently has 45 INTs in his 12 year career. Terrell Buckley had 47 in the first 12 years of his. One is a Packer hero, the other is considered a joke and wasted draft pick. I only hope Jarrett Bush ends up the next Terrell Buckley, and not the next Joey Thomas.

Sometimes guys are saddled with their draft position. Two guys that leap to mind are Buckley and Desmond Howard. Buckley was not a corner that could play effectively as a starter. But man, he was a brilliant slot corner. Desmond Howard was like the 6th guy picked. So the Skins played him as the starting Z reciever. He flopped at that job. He couldn't do it. He was a brilliant return guy and a slot guy in a 4 receiver set. Wolf got him and he bloomed when given the job he could handle

That's why I'm a big proponent of bring in Vets. Bring 'em in and see if their former team didn't play them in the right spot. Find out there is another job they can handle.

Gunakor
01-29-2010, 12:53 AM
I'm not surprised they would tender him. In fact, I thought he was under contract for another 2 years. I think he's the weakest link in this defense, so I hope they don't tender him. My assumption being that they would have someone else in mind or in place that would be an upgrade. I understand my version of upgrade is a few notches lower than others' version of an upgrade, but I think when you look at this defense as a whole, SS has got to be one of the first places you look to make drastic (hopefully in a positive direction) changes, as I happen to think it's obvious that it's the weakest position on the defense.

Honestly I think Bush is close to Bigby as far as value and talent go. And that's not a good thing for Atari.

You realize that they'd have to find TWO new guys that were both better than Bigby before they could be comfortable letting Bigby go, don't you? Even if Bigby was the worst starting SS in the NFL in 2009, he had the worst backup safeties in the NFL behind him on the depth chart. Bigby would be more than serviceable as a backup safety, especially after having a few seasons starting experience under his belt. I have no problem with him being on our roster in 2010.

SkinBasket
01-29-2010, 08:07 AM

You realize that they'd have to find TWO new guys that were both better than Bigby before they could be comfortable letting Bigby go, don't you? Even if Bigby was the worst starting SS in the NFL in 2009, he had the worst backup safeties in the NFL behind him on the depth chart. Bigby would be more than serviceable as a backup safety, especially after having a few seasons starting experience under his belt. I have no problem with him being on our roster in 2010.

That's not necessarily true. If they find someone via draft or FA that they feel is the definitive starter at SS, they could feel that Atari isn't worth the additional money he would command over a rookie (especially one who can play ST) and turn over the back-up safety position entirely - not that there's much there to turn over.

Not saying it's going to happen. Just saying that the article isn't necessarily false in it's assertion that Bigby may not be tendered. I happen to fall in the camp that hopes that happens.

Pugger
01-29-2010, 08:17 AM
I'll rip Sidgeon here.

I believe regarding Packer booters, it would be called a whole "stench" of punters.

:lol:

Pugger
01-29-2010, 08:18 AM

This one is even better!! :rs:

SkinBasket
01-29-2010, 10:55 AM
That was kind of the point I was making in response to whoever it was who said Atari is the best SS we have and that we would have to wait until we got someone better before talking about replacing Bigby.

Maybe we don't want Bigby back because he sucks monkey cock...
Appears to me that you're referring to "we" as the Packers and that you state "we" don't want Bigby as if it's fact.

Bedard has proven that his sources tend to have unreliable information when it comes to projecting Ted Thompson's thoughts and future moves.

And I'm betting Bigby is strictly an herbivore when it comes to sucking things by the way.

Fine, here's the rewrite:

That was kind of the point I was making in response to whoever it was who said Atari is the best SS the Packers have and that we, the fans would have to wait until the Packers got someone better before talking about replacing Bigby.

Maybe we, the fans and/or the Packers don't want Bigby back because he sucks monkey cock...

Sorry for my ubiquitously ambiguous use of the first-person plural personal pronoun.

I don't think monkey semen violates the Rastafarian diet. Unless it's a dead monkey, which obviously would raise some other concerns.

get louder at lambeau
01-29-2010, 01:22 PM
I don't think monkey semen violates the Rastafarian diet. Unless it's a dead monkey, which obviously would raise some other concerns.

Not sure about that one. There are no monkeys in Jamaica, mon.

SkinBasket
01-29-2010, 01:36 PM

And thus one of life's great mysteries goes unanswered...

get louder at lambeau
01-29-2010, 09:15 PM

And thus one of life's great mysteries goes unanswered...

http://www.cynicalsmirk.com/images/blow_pop.jpg