PDA

View Full Version : Myron Rolle

Brandon494
01-28-2010, 05:51 PM
I forgot all about this guy, didn't enter the draft last season to study at Oxford University.

Just caught his interview on PTI and seems to be the kind of "packer people" TT looks for in players.

What I really like about is guy is his pass coverage skills which we are lacking at the safety position. He is also very smart and has great size at 6-2 220 poinds.

I know it sounds crazy after being out of football for a year but I would not mind at all if we took this kid with our 1st round pick even if its a reach.

mission
01-28-2010, 07:10 PM
1st round? 1 INT?

Pass what you're smoking...

Brandon494
01-28-2010, 07:14 PM
1st round? 1 INT?

Pass what you're smoking...

Having good pass coverage skill doesnt always have to do with INTs, just ask Al Harris.

A 1st round pick would be high for him like I stated but this guy was a 1st round talent last season and is the smartest kid coming out of the draft. He was also the #1 player in his recruiting class before committing to FSU.

Joemailman
01-28-2010, 07:29 PM
He might be a good player, but there would be no reason to take him early. He'll be around in the middle of the draft unless he surprises at the combine with his speed.

Brandon494
01-28-2010, 07:39 PM
I know they arent going to take him in the 1st round....what I was saying is that I like this guy so much I wouldnt be mad if they did. I know he was rated a late 1st to 2nd rounder if he would have came out last year so I'm guessing 2nd or 3rd round pick this year.

Lurker64
01-28-2010, 07:48 PM
He doesn't have the production or the measurables to be worthy of an elite pick (1st or 2nd). On the other hand, there has likely never been a more intelligent player in the NFL draft in the history of the sport, and he has the football instincts to boot. He has an excellent work ethic and has leadership ability. So he's the sort of guy you can plug into your secondary as he will have comprehended his responsibilities in the defense by the end of minicamp. By the preseason, he will probably have figured out what everybody else is supposed to do on every given play.

So while not an elite athlete, you can put him there with confidence that he's not going to blow coverages and he'll probably be responsible for fewer blown coverages by everybody else in the secondary.

If he's there in the third, take him.

The Leaper
01-28-2010, 09:30 PM
The last time I checked, it didn't take an Ivy League IQ to play DB in the NFL. Deion Sanders probably isn't going to be spotted at Oxford anytime in his life. You don't have time to "critically think" when playing CB. It is far more about raw athleticism and natural instinct for playing the position.

Football smarts are way different from book smarts. Football smarts come from playing tons of reps. This kid has been off the field for a year. I'm not going to project him as an NFL star. He may be worth a flier in the 5th-7th round...but that's about it.

Joemailman
01-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Packers had Tyrone Culver a few years ago who was considered to be a very heady player. He was released after getting beat deep down the middle by TE's in the preseason. You can know where you're supposed to be, but you still have to be able to get there. Not saying Rolle won't be a good player, but brains can only take you so far. That why you see more players from Miami than you do from Brown.

swede
01-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Marques Anderson was another defensive back with impressive credentials in the field of classic English literature and somewhat poorer test scores in Don't Get Beat Deep 101.

Brandon494
01-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Well not only is this guy one of the smartest players to enter the NFL but he was also rated the #1 athlete in the 2006 recruiting class so its not like he doesn't have the talent to play in the NFL like Manuel or Culver.

Scouts will no doubt be interested to see how Myron Rolle plays at the 2010 Senior Bowl. Thus far, Myron Rolle has looked impressive. He showed up to the Senior Bowl in great shape, having worked out three hours a day while studying in England. One writer suggests that instead of focusing on Tim Tebow, football fans should take a look to Myron Rolle for inspiration.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/334380-senior-bowl-myron-rolle-hasnt-lost-his-step

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/01/28/myron-rolle/index.html

Brandon494
01-28-2010, 10:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQsO6LB09cI

Todd Mcshay projects him as a late 2nd to early 4th round pick.

He also said he has looked great in the senior bowl practices.

The Leaper
01-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Again...practices are not live action. DBs in these practices know exactly what route the WR is running half the time. Looking good in Senior Bowl practice is hardly a certain sign of becoming a shutdown NFL CB. His numbers weren't eye-popping in college...athletically, he looks the part, but does he truly have the ball skills necessary in a starting caliber NFL DB?

He still has quite a bit of work to do with his schooling. I question his dedication to football. Few players can be a success in the NFL if playing football is not their #1 priority...and I think you can safely say his top priority is not football. Honestly, that is to his credit...football is just a game, and clearly this kid has a mind that can offer far more to the world than INT returns for a TD.

Brandon494
01-28-2010, 11:45 PM
Again...practices are not live action. DBs in these practices know exactly what route the WR is running half the time. Looking good in Senior Bowl practice is hardly a certain sign of becoming a shutdown NFL CB. His numbers weren't eye-popping in college...athletically, he looks the part, but does he truly have the ball skills necessary in a starting caliber NFL DB?

He still has quite a bit of work to do with his schooling. I question his dedication to football. Few players can be a success in the NFL if playing football is not their #1 priority...and I think you can safely say his top priority is not football. Honestly, that is to his credit...football is just a game, and clearly this kid has a mind that can offer far more to the world than INT returns for a TD.

Shutdown NFL CB? First of all he will play safety in the NFL, not CB. Secondly he has stated football is now his #1 priority. Just because he takes one year off doesnt mean he has lost his passion for the game. There is life after football after all.