PDA

View Full Version : Official 2010 Pro Bowl Thread

Joemailman
01-31-2010, 08:13 AM
Tonight at 7:30 ET.

I might actually watch this year with Rodgers starting.

I wonder where Matthews will play given that the teams have to play a 4-3. Hopefully he will get some time at DE since I believe the rules prohibit blitzing.

sheepshead
01-31-2010, 08:28 AM
Should be worth a look this year. The new date and place anyway.

CaliforniaCheez
01-31-2010, 09:30 AM
1) The new format shortens the "season". It is a long time until August. We already had the Senior Bowl this weekend. The Pro Bowl means no football until the CFL starts in June.

2) It is a stats driven event. When Bubba Franks went he was not deserving but he had a lot of TD receptions. Driver and Jennings are not going because they share receptions whereas the receiver from the Texans goes because he is the only good receiver they have and has good individual stats. Matthews is going primarily for his sacks number. More and more it is key fantasy football numbers that players noticed.

3) Some players go only for their "popularity". Michael Vick went when he was the 23rd passer in the league.

4) I am a bit disappointed in the young Packers players not getting the recognition. Perhaps there was too much clicking for cans instead of clicking for Pro Bowl players by Packer fans (unlike the purple slimers to the west).

I am not as negative as I sound. I'm just saying the process is imperfect. It is an attempt to recognize the better players in the league particularly for nonplayoff team players. It is meant for a good time for all.

It used to be a way for Hawaii to feel connected to the NFL. I think they will learn a few lessons from this new format and find that some things should not be changed.

Well Aaron Rodgers will be done early and have time to "talk" with the sideline reporters. It is good that Matthews gets recognition too.

I hate saying farewell to football for a long time when the season is over.

Brando19
01-31-2010, 09:46 AM
What network is the Pro Bowl on? Hopefully Fox or CBS and not on NFLN.

Iron Mike
01-31-2010, 09:48 AM
I am a bit disappointed in the young Packers players not getting the recognition. Perhaps there was too much clicking for cans instead of clicking for Pro Bowl players by Packer fans (unlike the purple slimers to the west).

That worked out well.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/minnesota-vikings-bryant-mckinnie-pro-bowl-013010

Brando19
01-31-2010, 09:49 AM
1) The new format shortens the "season". It is a long time until August. We already had the Senior Bowl this weekend. The Pro Bowl means no football until the CFL starts in June.

2) It is a stats driven event. When Bubba Franks went he was not deserving but he had a lot of TD receptions. Driver and Jennings are not going because they share receptions whereas the receiver from the Texans goes because he is the only good receiver they have and has good individual stats. Matthews is going primarily for his sacks number. More and more it is key fantasy football numbers that players noticed.

3) Some players go only for their "popularity". Michael Vick went when he was the 23rd passer in the league. 4) I am a bit disappointed in the young Packers players not getting the recognition. Perhaps there was too much clicking for cans instead of clicking for Pro Bowl players by Packer fans (unlike the purple slimers to the west).

I am not as negative as I sound. I'm just saying the process is imperfect. It is an attempt to recognize the better players in the league particularly for nonplayoff team players. It is meant for a good time for all.

It used to be a way for Hawaii to feel connected to the NFL. I think they will learn a few lessons from this new format and find that some things should not be changed.

Well Aaron Rodgers will be done early and have time to "talk" with the sideline reporters. It is good that Matthews gets recognition too.

I hate saying farewell to football for a long time when the season is over.

Agreed about the popularity contest, but on Vick's behalf...he was probably one of the leading rushers in the league.

BallHawk
01-31-2010, 09:55 AM
If the NFC wins does that mean Joe starts the opening gamethread next season? :lol:

Brando19
01-31-2010, 10:11 AM
What network is the Pro Bowl on? Hopefully Fox or CBS and not on NFLN.

Nevermind..I just heard it's on ESPN.

Harlan Huckleby
01-31-2010, 12:00 PM
I suppose Favre isn't playing. I don't suppose any of the players who had to play last weekend will want to show up.

Joemailman
01-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Once again, Favre has shown he doesn't want to Arod's teammate. :satan:

GrnBay007
01-31-2010, 12:19 PM

Doesn't want to show up the young boy. :P :P :P

Brando19
01-31-2010, 12:25 PM

Doesn't want to show up the young boy. :P :P :P

Yyyyyyyyeah. Rodgers would outduel the old man any day of the week.

KYPack
01-31-2010, 07:27 PM
Just clicked it on.

ARod lead a long drive to make it 17 - 14 NFC.

I still don't really give a shit, but it's sorta football.

Scott Campbell
01-31-2010, 07:41 PM
Pretty nice first half from our budding superstar.

The Leaper
01-31-2010, 08:05 PM
Driver and Jennings are not going because they share receptions whereas the receiver from the Texans goes because he is the only good receiver they have and has good individual stats.

Sorry Cheez...

Johnson is a better receiver than either Driver or Jennings. The guy IMO is one of the 5 best WRs in the NFL today. Was Sterling Sharpe not worthy of accolade because he was the only decent WR on the Packers during his career?

MJZiggy
01-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Dammit, I missed Aaron!

Maxie the Taxi
01-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Hey, did anyone else see the NFC player messing with Clay's hair? Mathews didn't seem to like it too much. Maybe it was a little rookie hazing kind of thing.

mission
01-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Pretty nice first half from our budding superstar.

Potentially an MVP performance if the NFC pulls it out.

channtheman
01-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Dammit, I missed Aaron!

Only watched to see Rodgers. 3 drives, 1 field goal, 2 TD passes for him. Something like 11/14 for 160 yards I think. He looked light years better than McNabb who just looked awful.

BF4MVP
01-31-2010, 08:15 PM
Dammit, I missed Aaron!

Only watched to see Rodgers. 3 drives, 1 field goal, 2 TD passes for him. Something like 11/14 for 160 yards I think. He looked light years better than McNabb who just looked awful.
No kidding. I think if the AFC wins we can probably look back on the time McNabb was in there and how the NFC wasn't able to capitalize on Vince Young's ineptitude because McNabb was just as bad, if not worse. Not that it matters anyways, but I'd like to see the NFC win so that Rodgers would have a shot at the MVP.

pbmax
01-31-2010, 08:16 PM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2010/09000d5d8161b2e2_gallery_600.jpg

mission
01-31-2010, 08:19 PM
Zoolander-like picture there lol

D Jackson looking like the MVP now... that guy is electric!

BF4MVP
01-31-2010, 08:37 PM
I stopped watching for awhile. Did they talk to Aaron on the sideline?

channtheman
01-31-2010, 08:57 PM

Nope.

BF4MVP
01-31-2010, 09:05 PM

Nope.
That's good, that would suck to miss it. They freaking talked to Schaub, though, why not Rodgers?

channtheman
01-31-2010, 09:16 PM

Nope.
That's good, that would suck to miss it. They freaking talked to Schaub, though, why not Rodgers?

Well they just talked to Romo so either they talked to Rodgers and I missed it (I'm paying attention/not paying attention on my laptop) or they aren't going to talk to Rodgers or they are waiting until the game is almost over.

BF4MVP
01-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Zoolander-like picture there lol
Yep I think that's Aaron's "Blue Steel"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SgRlM0sDWJI/R4Zrki-3osI/AAAAAAAAAW8/WOaLxbOOLws/s400/zoolander.jpg

KYPack
02-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Hey, did anyone else see the NFC player messing with Clay's hair? Mathews didn't seem to like it too much. Maybe it was a little rookie hazing kind of thing.

Yeah. They mess with "rookie" Pro bowlers. Especially a rookie Pro Bowler who is also a rookie player. They haze you a little and then welcome you aboard. Cris Collinsworth tells a hilarious story about his first pro bowl. Ted Hendricks got all over CC in the shower. "Kick em" threatened to beat the shit out of Cris. Hendricks soon laughed about it, but Cris was scared. Hendricks really is nuts and a Raider, so it was hairy until Hendricks cracked a grin about the whole thing.

The boys all stood up for Clay in the game. A WR hit CMIII with a stout crackback (a no no in the PB.) The next play, Ware went all out and sacked the AFC QB. It was like, "If ya wanna start hittin' we can do it too."

So blondie is one of the boys now.

pbmax
02-01-2010, 09:46 AM

Yeah. They mess with "rookie" Pro bowlers. Especially a rookie Pro Bowler who is also a rookie player. They haze you a little and then welcome you aboard. Cris Collinsworth tells a hilarious story about his first pro bowl. Ted Hendricks got all over CC in the shower. "Kick em" threatened to beat the shit out of Cris. Hendricks soon laughed about it, but Cris was scared. Hendricks really is nuts and a Raider, so it was hairy until Hendricks cracked a grin about the whole thing.

The boys all stood up for Clay in the game. A WR hit CMIII with a stout crackback (a no no in the PB.) The next play, Ware went all out and sacked the AFC QB. It was like, "If ya wanna start hittin' we can do it too."

So blondie is one of the boys now.
That's a great pickup on CMIII and Ware, KY.

There is a story in McGinn's Super Bowl book that when faced with playing Hendricks (Stork is what I always heard him called), the NFC team decided simply to scheme the other direction for the most part. I think it was passing they were concerned with and Hendricks wingspan. The players he interviewed actually sounded awed by him, not because he was the best player they had seen, but because they thought there wasn't anything he couldn't stop if he wanted to. I think it was the Eagles game and helped explain the game Hendricks opposite number, Rod Martin, had.

Kiwon
02-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Dammit, I missed Aaron!

I did too. I started watching midway through the 2nd quarter and missed A-Rod completely.

What a boring game, though. If that's the best they can do I say let the game go the way of the dinosaur. What's the point of having defensive players if they don't play defense? Clay Matthews doesn't even try to tackle a running back going right by him into the end zone?

Most interesting thing I saw was Clay getting clocked on a crackback block. 100% owned. His family and teammates won't let him soon forget that one.

Pugger
02-01-2010, 09:52 AM
CM3's game is rushing the passer and I don't know if the Pro-Bowl rules allow LBs to blitz? :?: Clay wasn't the only defender to play passively in most of the game. Rodgers actually looked very good. Romo was average at best - which was surprising seeing he was running his scheme - and McNabb looked horrid! :P

KYPack
02-01-2010, 10:24 AM
CM3's game is rushing the passer and I don't know if the Pro-Bowl rules allow LBs to blitz? :?: Clay wasn't the only defender to play passively in most of the game. Rodgers actually looked very good. Romo was average at best - which was surprising seeing he was running his scheme - and McNabb looked horrid! :P

Yeah, CMIII played OK. The Pro Bowl rules strip that game from a lot of the stuff I like to watch.

Woodley and James Harrison were quite pissed that they weren't allowed to pass rush. I saw Harrison take some quick steps toward the QB and then pull up, as if to say, "cudda gotcha".

Our guy, ARod is also clearly one of the boys and a respected player. The guys were listening to him and respecting his leadership. I watched about a third of the game and seemed to see the stuff I wanted to see whenever I tuned in.

pbmax
02-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Maurice Jones Drew is on the radio and he said since the game was close and $45,000 (versus $20,000) was on the line, the hitting actually got serious late. And that was when Vincent Jackson popped CMIII.

swede
02-01-2010, 12:21 PM
What a boring game, though. If that's the best they can do I say let the game go the way of the dinosaur. What's the point of having defensive players if they don't play defense? Clay Matthews doesn't even try to tackle a running back going right by him into the end zone?

In their All-Star game the NBA plays no defense and the stars take turns splashing threes, making five step drives to the basket, and throwing down thunderous dunks. As an exhibition it works. As a game it doesn't.*

The NFL began their All-Star efforts with the champions playing the college all-stars. That idea was bad enough to fail eventually. The current format has never been much good as either an exhibition or a game. The NFL should have the courage to let a bad idea go away. The All-Star game is not Bear Stearns; it's not too big to fail. I'd rather see the players' wives playing beach volleyball for Jello-shots in Honolulu between the division championships and the Super Bowl. You've got to decide if it's going to be a good exhibition or a good game. You can't fake football.

*(edit: Sorry. That IS an NBA game, isn't it.)

mraynrand
02-01-2010, 01:07 PM
The pro bowl selection process didn't surround Aaron Rodgers with the talent he needed to win.

Freak Out
02-01-2010, 01:44 PM
What.....no pad level comments?

KYPack
02-01-2010, 04:16 PM
You've also got to have the guys from both Super Bowl teams play in the game.

The classic, vintage Pro Bowls are the ones right after the merger. '70 - 74 had some slammin' goin' on. That also lead to Pro Bowl QB's starting to "opt out" of the Pro Bowl. I've been hearing and reading about nobody wanting to play in that game forever.

In '75, the MVP of the Pro Bowl was James Harris, a so-so QB for the LA Rams. The other QB for the NFC was Mike Boryla, a ham 'n egger QB for the Eagles. No top QB wanted to get his teeth rattled in a post-season exhibition game.

There has to be a way to structure this thing, but nobody has figured it out yet.

Kiwon
02-01-2010, 06:24 PM

In their All-Star game the NBA plays no defense and the stars take turns splashing threes, making five step drives to the basket, and throwing down thunderous dunks. As an exhibition it works. As a game it doesn't.*

You are so cruel.....you mean all those Harlem Globetrotter games versus the New Jersey Generals I went to weren't a serious basketball game? :cry:

What next swede, are you going to tell me that there is no Santa Claus either? If not, who ate the milk and cookies we left out every year, huh?

esoxx
02-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Ted Hendricks got all over CC in the shower.

Take it to the GC KY.

Freak Out
02-01-2010, 07:12 PM
You've also got to have the guys from both Super Bowl teams play in the game.

The classic, vintage Pro Bowls are the ones right after the merger. '70 - 74 had some slammin' goin' on. That also lead to Pro Bowl QB's starting to "opt out" of the Pro Bowl. I've been hearing and reading about nobody wanting to play in that game forever.

In '75, the MVP of the Pro Bowl was James Harris, a so-so QB for the LA Rams. The other QB for the NFC was Mike Boryla, a ham 'n egger QB for the Eagles. No top QB wanted to get his teeth rattled in a post-season exhibition game.

There has to be a way to structure this thing, but nobody has figured it out yet.

:lol: Do you remember the 75 game? Awesome stuff...."ham 'n egger"...lol.