PDA

View Full Version : Christl: JSOnline Weblog Camp Report - July 30

pbmax
07-30-2006, 10:33 PM
SUNDAY, July 30, 2006, 10:20 p.m.

Camp Report, July 30
THUMBS UP

It’s nothing more than a feel good story of training camp. But 24-year old Brian Wrobel, who grew up in De Soto, Wis., rooting for the Packers and idolizing Brett Favre, handled himself well in his first real opportunity of camp. With Favre taking the morning off Sunday, Wrobel got to run eight plays at quarterback during the team session. “I thought he did a heck of a job,” said coach Mike McCarthy. “He was excellent in the huddle. The plays came out of his mouth.”

Not only did Wrobel look composed and run the offense without a glitch, unlike many fourth-string quarterbacks in their limited opportunities, but he completed all three of his passes, albeit all short stuff. On his final play, an all-go call, Wrobel looked deep, hesitated rather than force a throw and then couldn’t find his check-down receiver and had to take off running. In the first two practices, Wrobel didn’t throw a pass in team drills.

After starting for three years in high school at De Soto, a town of 366 near the Mississippi River, Wrobel played college ball at Winona State. He went to camp with the Seattle Seahawks last year and played in NFL Europe this past off-season.

THUMBS DOWN
Reality always sets in once training camp starts. And the reality so far is that the Packers’ wide receivers aren’t making plays down the field.

Here and there, they make a play that jumps out. Donald Driver ran a go pattern across the field Sunday morning and caught a pass from Aaron Rodgers when safety Nick Collins was late to pick him up on a switch with cornerback Charles Woodson. Later, Rodgers hit rookie Greg Jennings on a deep corner. Jennings also has caught some passes over the middle from Favre. And there was the Favre to Driver 75-yard TD against Woodson in seven-on-seven Friday night.

But only 17 of the 47 completed passes in team sessions over the first four practices have been caught by the wide receivers and most of those were in the short to medium range. Robert Ferguson has been shut out, although he missed practice Friday and caught a deep ball on the sideline Saturday where he was barely out of bounds. Rod Gardner returned to practice Sunday and didn’t catch a pass. Marc Boerigter has one catch in all of the team sessions.

Here’s something that speaks volumes. Calvin Russell, a free agent from Tuskegee who probably doesn’t have any chance of making the team, has made as many plays as any wide receiver other than Driver and Jennings.

INJURY REPORT
Ryan Pickett did some individual work, but no team work on his first day back following his car accident.

Leo Bookman (ankle) and Patrick Dendy (ankle) remained sideline.

Along with Favre (ankle), tackle Chad Clifton (knee) and running back Najeh Davenport (ankle) also observed the morning practice. They all returned at night, but Clifton dropped out and had an ice pack strapped to his right knee.

ODDS & ENDS
McCarthy didn’t see much technique in a highly spirited one-on-one pass blocking drill in the night session between the running backs and linebackers. But A.J. Hawk overpowered William Henderson and exploded through Vonta Leach in one of their two match-ups. Fellow rookie linebacker Abdul Hodge annihilated rookie Arliss Beach.

Running the No. 1 offense, Rodgers was 6 of 6 in team drills in the morning practice. It probably was his best practice so far. … Rookie Ingle Martin, who has struggled to this point, might have thrown his best pass of camp in the morning, a completion down the seam to tight end Donald Lee. But Martin was 1 of 5 in team drills and 1 of 4 in 7-on-7 at night.

Woodson ran with Driver and broke up a Favre pass deep down the middle in the night practice. It was Woodson’s most impressive play so far.

The first fight of camp pitted linebacker Ben Taylor against rookie running back A.J. Cooper.

William Whitticker worked with the first unit at left tackle in the morning, but moved back to right tackle at night. … When the offensive line has been at full strength, Chris White, Wayne Lucier and Pete Traynor have alternated between center and left guard.

The morning practice was held in the Hutson Center following a heavy thunderstorm. … Six sprinklers along the west sideline started spraying water during the night practice and showered the players on that side of the field.

ON THIS DAY
July 31, 1982 – Ezra Johnson lined up at right end with the Packers’ No. 1 defensive unit on the first day of two-a-day practices. Casey Merrill, the season-long starter at the position last year, worked with the second line. “I guess I had a bad off-season,” Merrill fumed. “It’s silly. But why not make him take the job away from me? Why patronize a guy because he was a No. 1 draft choice?” In 1978, Johnson’s first year as a starter, he registered 20 ½ sacks, but he was bothered by injuries the next three years.

MONDAY SCHEDULE
There will be one practice at 2 p.m. Players are scheduled to wear pads.

pbmax
07-30-2006, 10:42 PM
I remember the Browns had a receiver for several years in the 80s that they thought had all the physical tools (former sprinter had speed, size, strength) and only one fault, his hands. He couldn't catch the ball away from his body and hands weren't good enough to retain the deflection off his body. I can't remember his name, but they kept hoping and hoping and eventually he just faded away.

I am close to convinced this is one of those skills that it is difficult to acquire or significantly improve. Not impossible, just unlikely.

For the sake of the WR corp, I hope I am wrong. But I am nearly convinced Ferguson wil not make the transition.

I hope Cory Rodgers does.

outflow
07-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Six sprinklers along the west sideline started spraying water during the night practice and showered the players on that side of the field.

Hey Cliffy who cares?

RashanGary
07-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Hey,

He's seeing the same thing I am. I thought it was Driver and Jennings and then a bunch of scubs. Cliff agrees.

I didn't notice it was Hendo that got beat by Hawk, but I wouldn't doubt it. Hendo isn't a dominate player. He's average at best and on the fast decline.

God that was a cool drill. I've never been so pumped over practice. Spirited doesn't discribe it. I was clenching my fist and getting all pumped up. I'm usually pretty drab. It takes hard core competition to get my blood flowing.

pbmax
07-30-2006, 10:48 PM
Willie Adams. That's the guy. A less talented, far less effective Willie Gault.

Schottenheimer or Rutigliano once said, in answer to a question about whether they had made any progress in teaching him to catch the ball with his hands away from his body said "We've given up and told him we don't care how he catches it, against his body or in his facemask. Just catch the thing."

Thank you http://www.pro-football-reference.com.

woodbuck27
07-30-2006, 11:59 PM
I remember the Browns had a receiver for several years in the 80s that they thought had all the physical tools (former sprinter had speed, size, strength) and only one fault, his hands. He couldn't catch the ball away from his body and hands weren't good enough to retain the deflection off his body. I can't remember his name, but they kept hoping and hoping and eventually he just faded away.

I am close to convinced this is one of those skills that it is difficult to acquire or significantly improve. Not impossible, just unlikely.

For the sake of the WR corp, I hope I am wrong. But I am nearly convinced Ferguson wil not make the transition.

I hope Cory Rodgers does.

Yes. Good hands or the ability to catch a football cannot be taught, and beyond corrective vision, if needed, isn't an acquired ability. It's all down to natural talent. Anyone who's played offence or WR growing up, knows that.

A WR has to be quick of foot and have good feet, intelligent enough to run routes, be tenacious or fight for /protect the ball, and have - the good soft hands. Without those hands and the catch - then run mentality, he'll have balls smack off his palms and chest way too much. Paydirt pass's will be muffed.

Alot of it is in the head and knowing you can get under a ball and first catch it - then run for paydirt. It's called savvy.

The way I see OUR team now. If Russell is the #3 WR behind DD and Greg Jennings (and it remains that way throughout TC ) he has to be in and either Boerigter, Gardner and Ferguson cut.

TC has to be a competition. No - well, he'll come on's.

Robert Ferguson has not got there since the shellacking he took late in 2004. Rod Gardner is about as prominate at WR as I am, LOL. He's been nowhere .

Then there is Cory Rodgers who I hoped would be OUR punt returner, till I was informed that was coveted - by Charles "of EGO" - mmmmmm

Things are already heating up in " the mmmmm Dept." It's just the first week of TC. . :mrgreen:

You gotta LOVE it.

RashanGary
07-31-2006, 12:21 AM
Yep, I'm a little nervous too. You can't build rome in a day. Hopefully those holes continue to be filled, I think Ruvell Martin is a good red zone target.

HH was saying this a long time ago. I think he was on to something.

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 12:48 AM
Yep, I'm a little nervous too. You can't build rome in a day. Hopefully those holes continue to be filled, I think Ruvell Martin is a good red zone target.

HH was saying this a long time ago. I think he was on to something.

Nice work tonight Nick. I would love to attend and report a practise. Your so fortunate.

DAM ! If someone like Donald Driver falls in OUR TC that would be so hard to take. I can't believe we are so thin at some positions:

OL/WR/RB and possibly at CB .

We have big ?'s on ST's.

We appear to be really decent at DL and LB and safety.

Good at QB and TE.

SD GB fan
07-31-2006, 12:58 AM
our defense can survive injuries but our offense is pretty brittle.

QB-rodgers is not rdy quite yet
RB-we dun even have a secure #1 let alone #2, 3
WR-no need to repeat concerns
OL-depth falling apart due to injuries before season starts.

DE-only weak position depth wise. not much after KGB and AK

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 01:05 AM
our defense can survive injuries but our offense is pretty brittle.

QB-rodgers is not rdy quite yet
RB-we dun even have a secure #1 let alone #2, 3
WR-no need to repeat concerns
OL-depth falling apart due to injuries before season starts.

DE-only weak position depth wise. not much after KGB and AK

I feel this deep inside today.

We have a long ways to go. We have quality of player issues. We have depth issues all over. OUR football team is so very definitely re-building.

Absolutely, no .500 season this year.

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 09:22 AM
On WR Rod Gardner:

GARDNER IS BACK IN ACTION

After missing the first two days of training camp with a lingering hamstring injury, receiver Rod Gardner was relieved to be back at practice Sunday morning.

"Sitting out is nothing I'm used to. It was hard the first two days," Gardner said.

"The coaches were with me, they wanted to make sure I was ready to go rather than going out there and hurting myself and then being out for six weeks or something like that. So today was a good day."

Gardner said he believes that with a strong performance in training camp he'll have a decent chance to winning a starting job. Donald Driver may be firmly implanted as the No. 1 receiver, but after Driver, Robert Ferguson, Gardner and rookie Greg Jennings are all battling it out for the No. 2 job.