PDA

View Full Version : What's More Important?

Smidgeon
02-03-2010, 03:19 PM
So let's take a hypothetical situation. Let's say the Packers are in the last game of their season, are out of the playoffs even if they win, and Aaron Rodgers is 300 yards from breaking some record or reaching some stat threshold that few have reached. Do you want the team to play for the stats or play for the (meaningless) win?

Chris Johnson admitted that the team played for his stats in their final game (per PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/03/johnson-fisher-valued-2000-yard-mark-more-than-win/)). The Packers pulled Rodgers in the season finale when he was only a long pass away from breaking the franchise record for passing yards in a season. Is one right? Is one wrong? Do the football gods care either way? Does football karma strike down the Titans for this move?

Which would you prefer? The stat padding or the victory?

hoosier
02-03-2010, 03:41 PM
For the most part as a fan I have very little real investment in seeing players reach individual milestone. It may be interesting to watch Chris Johnson try to break the 2000 yard mark but it does not really affect how I feel--about my team, about football and about life in general. Watching the Packers win or lose, on the other hand, definitely does affect my mood and my actions--maybe a bit less so if the game is meaningless but it is still real.

As a point of comparison, I would never be tempted to use NSFK language in front of the TV if Johnson or Rodgers just missed reaching some individual goal. But when the Packers blow a game they should have won, even in a 6-10 season, I still have to bite my tongue in front of my kids.

MichiganPackerFan
02-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Wins make my week better (or is it losses that make my week suck?). But being a numbers guy, I like seeing milestones achieved too.

MJZiggy
02-03-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm failing to see how having a player reach a performance milestone costs us a game...might affect HOW we win, but not if...

Pugger
02-04-2010, 10:03 AM
I think winning is more important for a team than helping an individual player get a milestone. Winning, even in this scenario where it wouldn't matter as far as the playoffs are concerned, can become a habit. Teams that lose a lot have this defeatist attitude where learning how to win can go along way towards success in the future. And once the team starts winning regularly those milestones will be achieved down the line anyway.

hoosier
02-04-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm failing to see how having a player reach a performance milestone costs us a game...might affect HOW we win, but not if...

I don't think the question assumed that a players persuing individual records would cost his team a game. The question as I understood it was about what motivates you to watch football, especially when there is nothing tangible riding on the outcome of the game. Is it still a "team game" when your team has nothing left to play for or does it become more about individual accomplishments?

MJZiggy
02-04-2010, 08:32 PM

I don't think the question assumed that a players persuing individual records would cost his team a game. The question as I understood it was about what motivates you to watch football, especially when there is nothing tangible riding on the outcome of the game. Is it still a "team game" when your team has nothing left to play for or does it become more about individual accomplishments?

Then we win. Pride, people!

pbmax
02-05-2010, 12:52 AM
You play to win the game! :shock:

Seriously, I would rest anyone who looks injured but play everything else straight like a T square. If guys are close to a record, feed them, but not to a ridiculous extreme. Use the game plan and be smart. Once you get a good lead, everyone comes out, the record chasers can be last.

The goal is to win and stay healthy in that order. Records come in third.