View Full Version : Official Super Bowl Big Game Super Sunday Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

pbmax
02-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Those who liked Sean Payton can gloat a little bit

He's looked like a genius much of the season

he proved he has a jumbo set of balls too

something i wouldn't mind m3 having sometimes
Who do you think started the onside kick trend this post season?

Heck in that game we should have tried those after every score
He made the call. I am not worried about his heart or courage. Its his assistants that concern me.

RashanGary
02-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Good game. I was playing Mario with my son, but I always like to see the tearful celebrations at the end. They work so hard, it's nice to see hard work pay off.

Packers are knocking on the door. Some improvement from within here, a player or two there, and I think we have a shot. Defense has to get a little better at defending the pass. Instinctive DBs and LBs, maybe an OL or two and I see no reason Rodgers can't be up there celebrating next year.

Scott Campbell
02-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Good game. I was playing Mario with my son, but I always like to see the tearful celebrations at the end. They work so hard, it's nice to see hard work pay off.

Packers are knocking on the door. Some improvement from within here, a player or two there, and I think we have a shot. Defense has to get a little better at defending the pass. Instinctive DBs and LBs, maybe an OL or two and I see no reason Rodgers can't be up there celebrating next year.

Were not that far off.

Packman_26
02-07-2010, 10:01 PM

And starting tomorrow, we're all undefeated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwT6L5v9vDc

Harlan Huckleby
02-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Awesome super bowl because the correct team won.

MadtownPacker
02-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Awesome super bowl because the correct team won.Shut the fuck up, that ending sucked! If someone just stops the pick 6 and the Saints run out the clock I win $300. Instead I owe two lunches to crackas like you who dont deserve shit. Peyton Manning can kiss my ass!

Harlan Huckleby
02-07-2010, 10:43 PM
pretty amazing that that Porter guy ran back winning interceptions against both Peyton and, the other guy, to seal the last two games for Saints.

BTW, did anybody else notice that Peyton Manning took a BLATANT block in the back on that play? Should have been called back. Probably wouldn't have made a difference in the final outcome, but the Saints got lucky.

ps. Does anybody doubt that Archie Manning isn't secretly happy? He's got plenty more sons playing football, but only one team that he cares about.

channtheman
02-07-2010, 11:12 PM
This game is further proof that Brees was robbed of the MVP award. The true MVP shined today while the poser looked the part especially in crunch time.

Bossman641
02-07-2010, 11:19 PM
Here is fodder for the conspiracy about to start. I think Manning got blocked in the back on the Porter TD return.

He might have technically got blocked in the back but it was very weak. Good non-call IMO.

Guiness
02-08-2010, 12:48 AM
Those who liked Sean Payton can gloat a little bit

He's looked like a genius much of the season

he proved he has a jumbo set of balls too

something i wouldn't mind m3 having sometimes
Who do you think started the onside kick trend this post season?

Heck in that game we should have tried those after every score

Agreed, but mostly for another reason. They were scoring every f'ing time anyways, so it would've gotten the ball back into our hands sooner.

btw as far as the block in the back...since when is a cheap block on a QB called after a pick? I don't think I've ever seen someone called for clocking the qb after (who was trying to tackle) after a pick

packers11
02-08-2010, 12:51 AM
btw as far as the block in the back...since when is a cheap block on a QB called after a pick? I don't think I've ever seen someone called for clocking the qb after (who was trying to tackle) after a pick

your telling me that something like this wouldn't get a flag? :wink:

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/the-huddle/2010/01/rodgersx-large.jpg

sheepshead
02-08-2010, 06:27 AM
Everyone see that nice tackle Sharper made in the first quarter? Now you know why his contract is never renewed.

Scott Campbell
02-08-2010, 07:55 AM
Everyone see that nice tackle Sharper made in the first quarter? Now you know why his contract is never renewed.

Massive whiff. But he's getting a ring, and his legend grew this year.

Harlan Huckleby
02-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Here is fodder for the conspiracy about to start. I think Manning got blocked in the back on the Porter TD return.

He might have technically got blocked in the back but it was very weak. Good non-call IMO.

I don't understand your take here, BigBossMan. Manning was in position to make the tackle. I don't think he was hit hard, but it clearly was from behind and was critical to Porter springing clear. I searched on "Manning block in back", didn't find any discussion about the controversial non-call, just this odd take by a sports writer:

"Once Porter had the ball in his hands, all it took was Saints defensive end Will Smith clearing Manning out, which he did with a crushing block that flattened the quarterback at the 50-yard line. From there, Porter had an open path to the end zone "

Harlan Huckleby
02-08-2010, 08:38 AM
This game is further proof that Brees was robbed of the MVP award. The true MVP shined today while the poser looked the part especially in crunch time.

Oh come on. Peyton Manning a "poser" !? I think Brees is in Mannings' class, but a couple plays don't define a season. Manning has looked superhuman at QB most of this past season.

ThunderDan
02-08-2010, 08:38 AM

I don't understand your take here, BigBossMan. Manning was in position to make the tackle. I don't think he was hit hard, but it clearly was from behind and was critical to Porter springing clear. I searched on "Manning block in back", didn't find any discussion about the controversial non-call, just this odd take by a sports writer:

"Once Porter had the ball in his hands, all it took was Saints defensive end Will Smith clearing Manning out, which he did with a crushing block that flattened the quarterback at the 50-yard line. From there, Porter had an open path to the end zone "

I just watched the replay and it was pretty close to if the Saints player had his hand on Peyton's shoulder pad or on his back. Peyton would have had to turn back to make the tackle anyway.

I think I would have agreed with the call either way.

red
02-08-2010, 10:07 AM
oh please, it was a qb, not to mention one that is very adverse to physical contact of any kind

they is absolutely no way manning was going to make a tackle on that int

RashanGary
02-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Cullen Jenkins got a penalty a few years ago for absolutely killing Delhomme (or someone like that) after an INT from Bigby I think.

the QB was jogging when Jenkins just demolished him. It's in the handful of hardest hits I've ever seen live. It was a 15 yard penalty and like the Saints penalty for hitting Favre after the handoff, I think it was worth every yard.

Harlan Huckleby
02-08-2010, 11:36 AM
they is absolutely no way manning was going to make a tackle on that int

that's hard to say. but a block in the back is a block in the back.

it wouldn't have made any difference in the final result if they had called it. there are a lot of missed calls in every game.

Bossman641
02-08-2010, 01:18 PM

I watched the replay multiple times. The Saint defender shoved near his shoulder area. It wasn't a flagarant block in the back by any means. If they had called it, I could have seen the rationale for it. I also see the rationale for not calling it though. How often does that call get made?

hoosier
02-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Andrew Brandt says that "the truth is that most games are lost rather than won" (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Not-everyone-is-happy-for-the-Saints.html). In the Colts case I think blaming Baskett for failing to recover the onside kick is not very convincing: anyone can be victimized by a bad hop. If we want to look for culprits they would be the Colts defense, which couldn't get off the field in the second half, and Reggie Wayne, who inexplicably stopped in the middle of his cut on the pick-six and then dropped a catchable ball on 4th and goal two minutes later. A bad game by Wayne on a night when the Colts defensive shortcomings meant that the offense would have had to play a perfect game.

Smidgeon
02-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Andrew Brandt says that "the truth is that most games are lost rather than won" (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Not-everyone-is-happy-for-the-Saints.html). In the Colts case I think blaming Baskett for failing to recover the onside kick is not very convincing: anyone can be victimized by a bad hop. If we want to look for culprits they would be the Colts defense, which couldn't get off the field in the second half, and Reggie Wayne, who inexplicably stopped in the middle of his cut on the pick-six and then dropped a catchable ball on 4th and goal two minutes later. A bad game by Wayne on a night when the Colts defensive shortcomings meant that the offense would have had to play a perfect game.

But at least Wayne got his 100 catches during the regular season. That has to count for something...

sheepshead
02-09-2010, 07:22 AM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/heymike0308/19036_299923372255_530727255_409957.jpg

gex
02-09-2010, 08:32 AM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/heymike0308/19036_299923372255_530727255_409957.jpg

LMAO :lol:
PRICELESS!

red
02-09-2010, 08:55 AM
did anyone else find it ironic that the saints were able to fool the colts with an onside kick to start the second half, just minutes after The Who got done singing "won't get fooled again"?

sheepshead
02-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Think Sean Payton should buy MM dinner for giving him the nads to try it?

channtheman
02-09-2010, 09:02 AM

Oh come on. Peyton Manning a "poser" !? I think Brees is in Mannings' class, but a couple plays don't define a season. Manning has looked superhuman at QB most of this past season.

He certainly is good but he did not deserve the MVP this year or last year. Rivers or Brees last year and Brees or Favre this year deserved it much much more. Manning is a media darling and great in the regular season but he never can seem to get it done in the playoffs (yeah he won a Super Bowl, but it wasn't his play that won the game). That is why he is a poser. He looks good in the regular season but certainly not the playoffs. This was just further proof that Brees deserved the MVP of the regular season.

red
02-09-2010, 09:05 AM

He certainly is good but he did not deserve the MVP this year or last year. Rivers or Brees last year and Brees or Favre this year deserved it much much more. Manning is a media darling and great in the regular season but he never can seem to get it done in the playoffs (yeah he won a Super Bowl, but it wasn't his play that won the game). That is why he is a poser. He looks good in the regular season but certainly not the playoffs. This was just further proof that Brees deserved the MVP of the regular season.

oh take your favre man love to the traitor of the millennium thread, or whatever its called

:wink:

Harlan Huckleby
02-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Manning is a media darling and great in the regular season but he never can seem to get it done in the playoffs (yeah he won a Super Bowl, but it wasn't his play that won the game). That is why he is a poser.

I find it odd that you recognize that the MVP award is for the regular season, and then explain that Manning is great in the regular season and lousy in post season.

Is he really lousy in the post season? He was 2-1 this year, and came within a hair of winning the super bowl. You think because Porter made a great jump on the ball and intercepts a pass that Manning is a "poser" this playoff season?

Manning's playoff record is slightly above 500, like the other old QB in the league. His dad was 0-0 in the playoffs, was he a poser too?

Smidgeon
02-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Manning is a media darling and great in the regular season but he never can seem to get it done in the playoffs (yeah he won a Super Bowl, but it wasn't his play that won the game). That is why he is a poser.

I find it odd that you recognize that the MVP award is for the regular season, and then explain that Manning is great in the regular season and lousy in post season.

Is he really lousy in the post season? He was 2-1 this year, and came within a hair of winning the super bowl. You think because Porter made a great jump on the ball and intercepts a pass that Manning is a "poser" this playoff season?

Manning's playoff record is slightly above 500, like the other old QB in the league. His dad was 0-0 in the playoffs, was he a poser too?

I'll take the guy who's 9-1 in the playoffs with two Super Bowl MVPs. Of course, he's too old to play now... Sad.

Harlan Huckleby
02-09-2010, 10:27 AM
I wonder what Trent Dilfer's playoff record is. Probably awesome.

Joemailman
02-09-2010, 10:36 AM
5-1. Canton awaits...

Freak Out
02-09-2010, 11:03 AM

Payton should thank TT for not offering him the Packers job. :lol:

channtheman
02-09-2010, 12:04 PM

Just in comparison to Brees. I don't think Manning sucks... unless you want to compare him to Brees. Then I say Brees is better and much more deserving.

Smidgeon
02-09-2010, 12:04 PM

Why?

Harlan Huckleby
02-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Just in comparison to Brees. I don't think Manning sucks... unless you want to compare him to Brees. Then I say Brees is better and much more deserving.

I might have voted for Brees over Manning.

I think Brees, Manning and Favre were co-MVPs.

Joemailman
02-09-2010, 12:22 PM
I felt it was Manning this year. Lost his #2 WR early, had no running game to keep defenses honest, and until the Super Bowl, didn't lose a game in which he was allowed to finish. Wasn't his best year statistically, but in other ways it probably was his best year.

Bossman641
02-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I felt it was Manning this year. Lost his #2 WR early, had no running game to keep defenses honest, and until the Super Bowl, didn't lose a game in which he was allowed to finish. Wasn't his best year statistically, but in other ways it probably was his best year.

I agree. Tough to go against a guy who led his team to a 15-0 start while breaking in 2 unknown WR's and not having much of a running game to fall back on.

Smidgeon
02-09-2010, 12:42 PM

I agree. Tough to go against a guy who led his team to a 15-0 start while breaking in 2 unknown WR's and not having much of a running game to fall back on.

Umm... They finished the season 14-2.

Joemailman
02-09-2010, 12:51 PM

Note the bold.

Smidgeon
02-09-2010, 12:53 PM

Note the bold.

Note the bold.

Patler
02-09-2010, 12:53 PM

Manning's playoff performances have been quite spotty. He has made the playoffs 10 times. In six of the 10 years he has gone 0-1, when the Colts regular season records were: 13-3; 10-6; 10-6; 14-2; 13-3 and 12-4. In '04 after a 12-4 season they were 1-1 in the playoffs. In seven seasons, after winning 84 games, the Colts were 1-7 in the playoffs. After wining the Super Bowl, the Colts had back to back "one and done" playoffs after winning 13 and 12 games.

The Colts have entered playoffs 10 times, frequently as one of the more favored teams. They have been a big disappointment more often that not, and, more often than not, Manning has not played up to expectations.

Harlan Huckleby
02-09-2010, 01:50 PM
I don't agree that Manning has played poorly in the playoffs, that is just a matter of opinion.

Won-loss records can suggest that the QB choked, but not prove it.

I don't think anybody would be making the argument today that Manning is a playoff failure if he won the game Sunday. Kind of a cheap shot. That game turned on a few plays - the onsides kick, a particularly costly drop by an Indy reciever, and of course the pick.

Freak Out
02-09-2010, 01:57 PM

Why?

Because he just won the SB. :)

pbmax
02-09-2010, 02:07 PM

Manning's playoff performances have been quite spotty. He has made the playoffs 10 times. In six of the 10 years he has gone 0-1, when the Colts regular season records were: 13-3; 10-6; 10-6; 14-2; 13-3 and 12-4. In '04 after a 12-4 season they were 1-1 in the playoffs. In seven seasons, after winning 84 games, the Colts were 1-7 in the playoffs. After wining the Super Bowl, the Colts had back to back "one and done" playoffs after winning 13 and 12 games.

The Colts have entered playoffs 10 times, frequently as one of the more favored teams. They have been a big disappointment more often that not, and, more often than not, Manning has not played up to expectations.
Like any other playoff only discussion, the wins and losses are distorted compared to regular season numbers by the one and done format of single elimination. There are several very good QBs and coaches who are surprisingly near 500, including Manning at 9-9 overall.

Manning has done more at this point of his career than Elway had at a similar point. The only reason Elway's resume is not questionable is because of what Shanahan/Gibbs/Davis were able to do with the running game while cheating the salary cap. And Manning can equal that (not the cheating) with one additional win.

For comparison sake, consider Favre's post-season struggles in the second half (or Post Super Bowl if you prefer) of his career. His W-L was poor. But no one thought another deep playoff run was out of his grasp early this decade. It took a combination of work avoidance and age to render him seriously questionable. Manning is younger and is still putting in the work.

RashanGary
02-09-2010, 02:18 PM
I see what pb and huck are saying here. . .

I'm beginning to believe wins (post season and regular season) have a lot more to do with "team other than QB" than they do with "QB". The margin? I don't know something like 90% everyone else, 10% QB but that is up for debate.

Regardless, anytime the discussion for best ever comes up and people start listing stats and wins, I've never heard a logic sound enough for me to buy into any arguement for any player.

1st, I don't know what is expected of each QB, who's fault breakdowns are and how good of a team each QB played on in relation to the other QB's being compared. The knowledge we don't have when making this comparison is shockingly limited. Stats and wins are a function of many things so even those are incredibly weak, almost useless.

And what is greatest? The greatest for one team might not be as good in another because of what is asked. Is greatest the style you like most? No? It's the style that wins? Yeah, well what about defense, ST's and the other 10 players on offense, you think they had a part in that. What about coaching? What about the luck factor?

Playoff winner, playoff loser, SB winner, SB loser, why it all happens, way too gray for me. When someone, anyone, comes up with a system that looks even remotely reliable to me, I'll be excited to discuss it.

Right now, the shots at Farce, the shots at Rodgers and the shots at Manning, none were any different than the shots at Brees until he won this one. All these QB's IMO are good enough to win a SB. Most of the three have been on teams capable of doing it. 3 of the 4 have SB rings. One doesn't. At the end, the player between Manning, Rodgers and Favre who ends up with the most rings will be completely unpredictable. Nothing that has happened in the past has anything to do with the teams each player will play on in the future and IMO that is the resounding greatest variable in why QB's win SB's. The player among them that is the greatest? I think it's Manning/Brees, but that is just my opinion of watching them and it's incredibly limited.

Now, greatest golfer, greatest tennis player. That is a conversation that is a little less grey.

Smidgeon
02-09-2010, 02:36 PM

Why?

Because he just won the SB. :)

Very valid point.

But I guess my question was based on the assumption that Payton wouldn't have had the same success in GB. That hire was for the 2006 year. The last three years would have looked different in GB with Payton (I'm not saying better or worse--just different). That means it's really hard to determine whether or not Payton's gratefulness is based on what happened in this time stream. Until quantum physics finds the alternative realities, we can't know what would have happened. Maybe he wins in GB in 2007 and 2009. Maybe he has under .500 all four years instead of just two. Maybe. That's why I was questioning the question.

Smidgeon
02-09-2010, 02:44 PM
Eh. Nevermind. That's thinking far too much about the issue.

Patler
02-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Like any other playoff only discussion, the wins and losses are distorted compared to regular season numbers by the one and done format of single elimination. There are several very good QBs and coaches who are surprisingly near 500, including Manning at 9-9 overall.

Manning has done more at this point of his career than Elway had at a similar point. The only reason Elway's resume is not questionable is because of what Shanahan/Gibbs/Davis were able to do with the running game while cheating the salary cap. And Manning can equal that (not the cheating) with one additional win.

For comparison sake, consider Favre's post-season struggles in the second half (or Post Super Bowl if you prefer) of his career. His W-L was poor. But no one thought another deep playoff run was out of his grasp early this decade. It took a combination of work avoidance and age to render him seriously questionable. Manning is younger and is still putting in the work.

My point isn't the win loss record as much as complete failure in 6 of 10 appearances, and only a single win in the 7th. In spite of being one of the better teams, with decent in season records, the Colts have been playoff disappointments year after year. The Colts have lost a lot of playoff games they were expected to win, and Manning has not been the same QB in the playoffs that he has been in the regular season.

When I think of clutch playoff performers, Manning will not jump to my mind quickly.

Not so sure there is a lot of difference between Manning and Elway after 12 seasons. Manning is certainly up in passing stats, but Elway brought the dimension of running, with nearly 3,000 yards at that stage of his career. Manning has been to two Super Bowls, with one win. Elway had been to three at that stage of his career, without a win.

I look at Manning and Favre as QBs who should have made more of their playoff chances than they did, not because they lost Super Bowls, but because of the many playoff years that ended much too early.

Joemailman
02-09-2010, 04:17 PM

Note the bold.

Note the bold.

Well, he was ahead in game 15 when he got pulled. :D

Freak Out
02-09-2010, 04:46 PM

:lol:

What in the bleep do we know anyway?

Smidgeon
02-09-2010, 04:52 PM

:lol:

What in the bleep do we know anyway?

Sometimes I forget this is just football. I'll leave my fascination with alternative theories for a different day.

pbmax
02-09-2010, 05:30 PM
I look at Manning and Favre as QBs who should have made more of their playoff chances than they did, not because they lost Super Bowls, but because of the many playoff years that ended much too early.
Perhaps, but with teams that are flawed, I do not think it is too terribly odd that the Colts (or another very good team) meet their nemeses and lose in a one and done scenario. The Patriots, Steelers and Patriots have all had, at one point or another, a defense that was capable of flummoxing the Colts. And that kind of defense does not appear regularly on the schedule. Those three teams alone have knocked the Colts out of the playoffs at least 5 times.

And there are individual scenarios involved. The 2002 Packer loss to the Falcons had as much to do with injury as it did bad QB play. It is possible that both Manning and Favre are guilty of thinking the team can only rely on them to win a game on their own, instead of trusting the team to persevere.

Harlan Huckleby
02-09-2010, 06:02 PM
I would say the most impressive career playoff stats for a QB are super bowls won, and total games played.

sheepshead
02-17-2010, 07:03 AM
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e102/heymike0308/19949_1282549578937_1086015568_3087.jpg