PDA

View Full Version : Packers adjust to new format in TC

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 10:28 AM
Packers adjust to new format - Many like fresh practice plan

By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: July 30, 2006

Green Bay - Three days into Camp McCarthy, none of the Green Bay Packers players was complaining about the workload.

At least not that which takes place on the field.

Coach Mike McCarthy's strategy of allowing players long hours of recovery after each practice has made it seem as though camp is a stroll in the park. Things could be different a couple of weeks from now, but the 2-1-2 schedule (two practices one day, one practice the next) isn't exactly forcing players to scream uncle.

"I like the schedule," defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila said. "It's really body-friendly, player-friendly. You get time to recuperate. You get longer rests rather than going at it right away. It's different. I didn't know what to expect."

Most players come to training camp expecting to get worked to exhaustion. "Two-a-days" have been a staple of regular-season preparation in the National Football League for as long as anyone can remember, and the Packers have followed along consistently over the years.

On Sunday, the Packers completed their first two-practice day with an aggressive 2½-hour workout under the lights at Clarke Hinkle Field. Earlier in the day, they had a 75-minute workout without pads in the Don Hutson Center that was a review of their first two days of work.

McCarthy's aim is to have one long, fully-padded practice per day supplemented by a shorter, less physical workout every other day. In between practices, the players spend much of their time at the Packers' facility breaking down tape of the workout they just completed and correcting mistakes.

"Training camp provides so many great match-ups," McCarthy said. "From a technique standpoint, great teaching tape is established in training camp. There's so much to learn from a training camp in my experience, and in the back-to-back, two-a-day schedule you didn't get through all the film.

"So this structure is to make sure that we can get to see all the film, and the players see themselves playing."

Under previous coach Mike Sherman, the players practiced in pads just once a day and practiced twice every other day. However, there was an afternoon special teams practice every other day, so those who were assigned to those units practiced twice every day.

The major difference between the two schedules is that under Sherman, the two non-special teams practices held on the same day were separated by only four hours. In McCarthy's system, practices are eight hours apart and every "two-a-day" is followed by a single mid-afternoon practice the next day.

Players get free time between practices, but they also spend long hours in meetings. After the 9 a.m. practice Sunday, the players ate brunch and had two hours off to do whatever they pleased. At 1 p.m., meetings began, followed by dinner and then the evening practice. Curfew hits roughly an hour after the players come back from practice, and it's on to meetings the next morning.

"I like the double days," quarterback Aaron Rodgers said. "We're actually doing stuff all day. The first two days (with single practices) were pretty long. A lot of meetings and a lot of . . . meetings. I like the two-practice schedule."

In theory, the soft camp schedule should pay dividends later in the season when players' legs typically start to tire, and their bodies break down. But for years there have been teams pounding away at training camp and doing fine down the stretch.

One risk with McCarthy's system is that the Packers could run into a couple of more hardened teams come the start of the season and find themselves less prepared to compete physically.

"I don't know," wide receiver Donald Driver said when asked if the camp schedule might not prepare them well enough for the start of the season. "It would be hard to say. It will tell when the season starts. That's when it all tells what you did in training camp, whether you did enough or did too much."

If McCarthy is right, the rigorous off-season conditioning program most of the players took part in will take care of the physical preparation for the season. The weight-lifting program changed and workouts were ramped up during the voluntary camps in an attempt to make sure players were physically conditioned before they got to training camp.

"We did most of the grinding during the OTAs (organized team activities) and the minicamps," Gbaja-Biamila said. "Everything we're going through, we went through in OTAs. The whole objective is to keep us fresh. It makes sense. It seems logical."

From the July 31, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

pittstang5
07-31-2006, 11:20 AM
One of the many fears that I have this year is the Packers continuation of a slow start to the beginning of the season. I'm tired of it and I don't want to see it anymore. The Pack's first game is going to be brutal, whether they're prepared or not. The Bears always bring their "A" game and the Pack has to be ready.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2006, 11:29 AM
Its seems like EVERY damn training camp we read stories about how the practices have been restructured in some wise way.

Sorry for being grumpy, it just seems like so much BS.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2006, 12:02 PM
This actually makes a lot of sense to me. I imagine other teams will follow if this is successful.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2006, 12:04 PM
shut up, harvey

NewsBruin
07-31-2006, 12:06 PM
Thealternate interpretation is that the Bears will be strained and sprained when they take on the Pack and more likely to go down while making a cut or taking on a block.

I'm skeptical about a lot of things, but I'll give this the benefit of the doubt for the first four regular season games.

pbmax
07-31-2006, 12:10 PM
Its easy to cite emotion as the contributing factor to Bear trouble, but the plain fact is they have collected more talent on defense and somehow barely squeak by on offense. Favre alone used to be a big enough advantage, not anymore.

And I think the Falcons are using this schedule if I read Peter King's Monday morning QB correctly. Seems they had a night practice. Could be 2-1-2-1 or could be just avoiding midday Georgia sun.

Has anybody read where M3 came across this? Was it New Orleans and Haslett?

ahaha
07-31-2006, 12:34 PM
Is it neccesary to make training camp a brutal endurace test to toughen up the team? It's hard to say.
NFL films did an interesting story, a couple of years ago, on the coach from St. Johns University... a perrenial powerhouse in NAIA college football.
Every year they were a contender for the championship.
His practices were quite unique....NO HITTING. No whistles either. His practices were all about execution of plays and reading the opponent. Making his team the smartest.

MJZiggy
07-31-2006, 01:09 PM
Its easy to cite emotion as the contributing factor to Bear trouble, but the plain fact is they have collected more talent on defense and somehow barely squeak by on offense. Favre alone used to be a big enough advantage, not anymore.

And I think the Falcons are using this schedule if I read Peter King's Monday morning QB correctly. Seems they had a night practice. Could be 2-1-2-1 or could be just avoiding midday Georgia sun.

Has anybody read where M3 came across this? Was it New Orleans and Haslett?

I had thought he got the idea in NO, but he mentioned (offhandedly) yesterday that they did this in Kansas.

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Its seems like EVERY damn training camp we read stories about how the practices have been restructured in some wise way.

Grumpy! It's the darn heat HH. :mrgreen:

the_idle_threat
08-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Yeah, no kidding re: the heat.

It must be up into the 70's up there in Canada, Woody, eh? :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 12:16 AM
Yeah, no kidding re: the heat.

It must be up into the 70's up there in Canada, Woody, eh? :mrgreen:

Jeee we had it nearly up there last week ! Ehh !

68 F - Really HOT !! :oops:

Joemailman
08-01-2006, 06:18 AM

SOV couldn't have said it better. :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
08-01-2006, 07:27 AM
Phenomenal avatar, Joe.

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 08:00 AM
On Monday July 31/06 the sweltering heat took its toll on the players. The ended practice about 20 minutes early. The players practiced for roughly 2 hours, 10 minutes.

In the opening half-hour of practice, the temperature was 98 degrees with a heat index of 111. Nearly 90 minutes later, the heat index had fallen just three degrees to 108. "We just cut back some of the individual (drills) and I felt the pace kind of dropping off a little bit," McCarthy said. "We really only cut six plays out (of the team drills)."

Comment woodbuck27:

MM is a taskmaster but he has to ensure that all players warm up for 20-30 minutes or we'll see injuries arise because of the opressive heat. I'm sure the conditioning coach's are doing just that. This is a major concern in TC's all over the NFL and players have been dropping like October house fly's in various camps.

Defensive tackle Kenderick Allen and offensive guard Junius Coston both struggled with the heat and had to call it quits early, other than that the players handled the heat well.

"Frankly I think this is an excellent opportunity for us to practice in the heat," McCarthy said.

"In the first four weeks of your season, you may catch a day like this. I thought it was good for our football team. Obviously we had to be smart about it, and I think we accomplished that."

Comment woodbuck27:

No choice Mike.That's what you get with a TC practise scheduled just after mid-day in the dead of summer. Morning and Evening practise's are prudent.

GBRulz
08-01-2006, 08:02 AM
during the first four weeks of the season, you may also catch snowflakes on your tongue.