PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl MVP: Dr. James Andrews

pbmax
02-08-2010, 11:35 AM
From Peter King's MMQB today:

c. Kudos, too, to Chris Mortensen, for his terrific job with Dr. James Andrews on Drew Brees' revolutionary shoulder surgery in 2006. Mort, with Andrews, saw the MRI of Brees' ruined shoulder, and Andrews said the damage from the injury suffered in the last game of the 2005 season with San Diego was so severe that there was a 360-degree tear of the labrum -- basically, that it was torn from the bone -- and that the bone broke through the skin from underneath the shoulder. Gruesome, and very valuable to know how great the surgery was ... and how incredible it was that Brees even played football in 2006

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/02/08/mmqb.superbowl/4.html#ixzz0exyPVmhA
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

pbmax
02-08-2010, 11:39 AM
It will become a truism that will never die unless both Miami and San Diego win a Super Bowl in short order, but the idea that these two teams made a mistake by not choosing Brees is simply the advantage of hindsight. Brees, his Doctor and the team medical staffs had no idea if this new procedure would work or hold for any length of time.

Kudos to the good Doctor that it did work.

I do think I remember a reasonable balance of observers thought the Rivers would win out anyway before the injury, but that question is impossible to evaluate.

Harlan Huckleby
02-08-2010, 11:47 AM
I'd give a runner-up prize to the people that got Freeney able to play so well with partially torn ankle ligaments.

get louder at lambeau
02-08-2010, 11:57 AM
With River ending the season with a passer rating over 100, I don't think too many Chargers fans should be bashing their heads into the wall. He's still young and very, very good.

mission
02-08-2010, 12:30 PM
I'd give a runner-up prize to the people that got Freeney able to play so well with partially torn ankle ligaments.

was there ever any doubt? I would have bet more money on freeney playing in the sb than I would have any actual bets like picking the team or the score...

Scott Campbell
02-08-2010, 12:32 PM
I didn't realize that Brees injury was that bad.

mission
02-08-2010, 12:37 PM
I didn't realize that Brees injury was that bad.

me neither... certainly puts the "how could you pass on the small man?" venom into perspective.

red
02-08-2010, 03:18 PM
andrews is no doubt a god among men

he's always been the man to go too if you have a serious injury and need it fixed fast and right

Fritz
02-10-2010, 07:07 AM
I don't know. I think he does fine with most players, but in clutch situations he seems to panic a little and his surgeries go way off kilter. He's a choker, that guy. Can't handle the big surgery, gets all jittery.

His regular-person stats are impressive, but when it comes down to crunch time, he just can't seem to get it done.

Scott Campbell
02-10-2010, 07:21 AM
I don't know. I think he does fine with most players, but in clutch situations he seems to panic a little and his surgeries go way off kilter. He's a choker, that guy. Can't handle the big surgery, gets all jittery.

His regular-person stats are impressive, but when it comes down to crunch time, he just can't seem to get it done.

Geez - did he botch your vasectomy or sumthin?

MJZiggy
02-10-2010, 09:46 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :knll:

Fritz
02-10-2010, 12:29 PM

No, I'm not important enough for that - he aced it.

Zool
02-10-2010, 03:37 PM

No, I'm not impotent enough for that - he aced it.

Fixed

MadScientist
02-10-2010, 03:57 PM
andrews is no doubt a god among men

Just remember the difference between god and a surgeon - god knows he's not a surgeon.

swede
02-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Two world class zingers in a row. Go Rats! :lol:

Fritz
02-10-2010, 04:31 PM

No, I'm not impotent enough for that - he aced it.

Fixed

Just like me!