PDA

View Full Version : A Pretty Good Rant About What Football Is Supposed To Be

Smidgeon
02-09-2010, 12:03 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/02/lavar_arrington_responds_to_cl.html

mission
02-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Wow, you actually have to listen to the MP3!!

Guy goes off on a message with a lot of fire, I'm ready to go out and play some ball!! I didn't think LaaVar was that smart of a guy.

Now there are a couple ego moments, sure, but I'm glad I took the time to listen to it... he really got going midway! :D

Smidgeon
02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Wow, you actually have to listen to the MP3!!

Guy goes off on a message with a lot of fire, I'm ready to go out and play some ball!! I didn't think LaaVar was that smart of a guy.

Now there are a couple ego moments, sure, but I'm glad I took the time to listen to it... he really got going midway! :D

Yeah, I didn't have that impression of Arrington either. He seems to know his stuff.

MJZiggy
02-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Wonder if he happened to be a preacher's son. Lot of fire & brimstone, there. But good advice on leadership and what it's all about.

Fritz
02-10-2010, 07:04 AM
Maybe he can coach special teams...

vince
02-11-2010, 05:47 AM
Thanks for posting that Smidge. Definitely a powerfully delivered and valuable message not just for athletes of tomoorrow, but for all of us. You have to listen to appreciate it, but here was my favorite part of it all.

We are losing a battle here. Our battle is not about who gets the most publicity. Our battle is not about who makes the most touchdowns or makes the most money. Our battle is being someone that the next generation can sit back and look at you and be proud about what you are, what you represent, what you say, what you do.

That's worth more than all of those things. That's worth more than all of those things. Not even close. Not even measurable. Understand, I am upset right now, because we continue to depict ourselves in a way that is not right. And for what? For some attention? What's your motivation?"
LaVar Arrington is a man of strong principles, and he gives a pretty compelling case for why he left the Redskins, leaving millions on the table in the name of what he deemed a higher purpose. You gotta respect that.

Scott Campbell
02-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks for posting that Smidge. Definitely a powerfully delivered and valuable message not just for athletes of tomoorrow, but for all of us. You have to listen to appreciate it, but here was my favorite part of it all.

We are losing a battle here. Our battle is not about who gets the most publicity. Our battle is not about who makes the most touchdowns or makes the most money. Our battle is being someone that the next generation can sit back and look at you and be proud about what you are, what you represent, what you say, what you do.

That's worth more than all of those things. That's worth more than all of those things. Not even close. Not even measurable. Understand, I am upset right now, because we continue to depict ourselves in a way that is not right. And for what? For some attention? What's your motivation?"
LaVar Arrington is a man of strong principles, and he gives a pretty compelling case for why he left the Redskins, leaving millions on the table in the name of what he deemed a higher purpose. You gotta respect that.

He also understands that his legacy is the only thing left long after the moneys all gone, and he's long gone. It's a shame more players don't grasp that.

Smidgeon
02-11-2010, 08:14 PM

He also understands that his legacy is the only thing left long after the moneys all gone, and he's long gone. It's a shame more players don't grasp that.

I never thought I'd say this, but if only we were lucky enough that every player thought like Lavar Arrington...

MichiganPackerFan
02-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Good article. If DC had more Arringtons and fewer overpaid Dan Snyder folk, they might be competitive. And after listening to John Riggins a couple of times each week on the radio, it's perfectly acceptable to disagree with him. But I do get LaVar's point on that.