PDA

View Full Version : Agent: Packers won't ask Hawk to take pay cut

CaptainD
02-09-2010, 07:46 PM
From PFT.COM :

The questions started soon after the Packers signed linebacker Brandon Chillar to a long-term contract. Could A.J. Hawk, no longer a three-down player, be on the way out?

The answer for 2010 will be no according to Hawk's agent.

"They're not going to ask [for a pay cut]," Mike McCartney told the Green Bay Press-Gazette Monday. "They think A.J. is a very important part of their football team. I have full confidence that A.J. is going to have a big year next year, and I think they have the same kind of confidence."

Hawk is due $4.6 million next season, and he often sits on passing downs for Chillar. The team also have a promising backup in Desmond Bishop.

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel believes Hawk could lose his starting job, but NFL teams rarely give up players that can help them win. Hawk is still a solid player for them, if overpaid.

So while the Packers expected Hawk to provide more than quality depth, it looks like he'll remain in Green Bay for at least one more season.

Brandon494
02-09-2010, 07:52 PM
or get traded to SD.

Maxie the Taxi
02-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Maybe Hawk is better suited as an OLB?

Draft a guy like Brandon Spikes to play ILB. Let Brad Jones and Hawk fight it out? (Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.)

Brandon494
02-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Hawk struggles with coverage and is not a good pass rusher, moving him to OLB is not the answer.

Joemailman
02-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Hawk may not be what was expected when he was drafted, but he is an important part of this defense, especially against the run. The Packers have a chance to go to the Super Bowl next year, and Hawk should and will be a part of that. The guy who may not be here is Poppinga, especially if Kampman is signed.

Maxie the Taxi
02-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Hawk struggles with coverage and is not a good pass rusher, moving him to OLB is not the answer.

Yeah...it takes a special athlete to play LB and be good in pass coverage. It almost makes you wonder why not simply play an overgrown safety at LB, like Rouse or Taylor Mays.

What's Hawk's problem rushing the passer? It seems to me it just doesn't do it too often. Maybe taking a better angle would help. Didn't he play OLB in college?

Fritz
02-10-2010, 06:36 AM

Yeah...it takes a special athlete to play LB and be good in pass coverage. It almost makes you wonder why not simply play an overgrown safety at LB, like Rouse or Taylor Mays.

What's Hawk's problem rushing the passer? It seems to me it just doesn't do it too often. Maybe taking a better angle would help. Didn't he play OLB in college?

I have thought about this as well. IF covering tight ends and running backs in short zones is so important in the 3-4 for inside guys, why not use a big safety in this spot and have him put on a few pounds? Is the weight difference between a Hawk and a Rouse or Mays that different? Wouldn't they be able to handle the offensive line, is that it? I'm not sure about why you wouldn't want a faster, quicker guy inside.

Kiwon
02-10-2010, 08:43 AM
If I were Hawk I would not accept a pay cut. He signed the contract they offered fair and square.

Ask him and he'll want to play every snap. Now whether he should be out there as a starter is a separate question for the coaches.

sharpe1027
02-10-2010, 10:07 AM
If they had to cut someone else because of his salary, then this might be a relevant question. As it stands, you can make an good argument that he may be overpaid, but cutting his pay or getting rid of him doesn't make the team any better.

b bulldog
02-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Will be his last year in GB, just a player who has never lived up to what many thought he could develop into.

Brandon494
02-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Will be his last year in GB, just a player who has never lived up to what many thought he could develop into.

Still stand by what I said back in 2006, we should have drafted V Davis over Hawk.

....now waiting for the "He didn't want to play in GB" comments.

Joemailman
02-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Given that Finley may turn out to be as good as Davis, I don't really regret not taking Davis. The guy I was interested in back in 2006 who in hindsight I wish TT had taken was Haloti Ngata.

Patler
02-13-2010, 12:16 PM

Still stand by what I said back in 2006, we should have drafted V Davis over Hawk.

How about an "I think I am happier with Jermichael Finley" comment instead? :lol:
I think Finley can be just as good. Heck, projected over 16 games Finley already was just as good in 2009. Plus, he is 3 years younger.

Maxie the Taxi
02-13-2010, 12:21 PM

How about an "I think I am happier with Jermichael Finley" comment instead? :lol:
I think Finley can be just as good. Heck, projected over 16 games Finley already was just as good in 2009. Plus, he is 3 years younger.

Amen.

I remember the big draft debate here at the time was: Do we pick Hawk or Mario Williams? Well, as the draft drew closer Mario rose to the top of the board and solved that problem.

Same thing will happen this year with guys like Spiller.

So far TT's done better than I could have in the draft.

Patler
02-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Given that Finley may turn out to be as good as Davis, I don't really regret not taking Davis. The guy I was interested in back in 2006 who in hindsight I wish TT had taken was Haloti Ngata.

Ngata is a guy I thought they might be interested in as well. I thought all the Hawk talk might have been a smokescreen for their real intentions, but I was not disappointed in the pick of Hawk. I am disappointed in his performance, however.

Brandon494
02-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Yea Finley is nice but having V Davis and Finley is awhole lot nicer. :D

Patler
02-13-2010, 01:43 PM

Nah, you could never have both on the same team and satisfy them. I want one super pass catching TE, a complement TE and two upper level WRs with competent backups. I actually sort of like the Packers group, except for Lee's decline. A solid blocking TE with average pass catching ability is what they need, not another like Finley or Davis.

Brandon494
02-13-2010, 05:48 PM

Nah, you could never have both on the same team and satisfy them. I want one super pass catching TE, a complement TE and two upper level WRs with competent backups. I actually sort of like the Packers group, except for Lee's decline. A solid blocking TE with average pass catching ability is what they need, not another like Finley or Davis.

Why not? You can have two stud WRs or two stud RBs on a team so why not TEs? Dallas has two very talented TEs in Witten and Bennett.

I mean do you realize how difficult that is for a defense to defend a team with Davis and Finley in a two TE formation?

Patler
02-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Why not? You can have two stud WRs or two stud RBs on a team so why not TEs? Dallas has two very talented TEs in Witten and Bennett.

I mean do you realize how difficult that is for a defense to defend a team with Davis and Finley in a two TE formation?

How many two tight end plays do you want to run each game?
I want one stud TE in the prime of his career and a solid second, maybe a former stud who's career is winding down so he is satisfied with fewer snaps/game.

BZnDallas
02-15-2010, 08:49 AM
Marty B was quite a disappointment down here in Big D this past year... i'm happy we got Finley and Dallas got Bennett... i dont know much about Finley and the media but Marty B is def a great interview on the radio... he has a weekly show during the season down here and it is radio gold every week... which i think is one reason people seem to over rate his play on the field... GB got the better TE in that draft between the 2... but thats just one mans opinion...

Brandon494
02-15-2010, 10:26 AM

How many two tight end plays do you want to run each game?
I want one stud TE in the prime of his career and a solid second, maybe a former stud who's career is winding down so he is satisfied with fewer snaps/game.

Yea but both Finley and Davis are talented enough to also line up at WR. No team has really had two stud TEs so its hard to say how well it would work out but I think he would cause huge mismatches to the defense. LB cant cover either of those guys and if they bring in DBs to cover them you could just run out of the 2 TE formation. Also playaction would be very effective out of this formation.

Brandon494
02-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Marty B was quite a disappointment down here in Big D this past year... i'm happy we got Finley and Dallas got Bennett... i dont know much about Finley and the media but Marty B is def a great interview on the radio... he has a weekly show during the season down here and it is radio gold every week... which i think is one reason people seem to over rate his play on the field... GB got the better TE in that draft between the 2... but thats just one mans opinion...

Oh no doubt Finley is the better of the two but Bennett is still very young and has a lot of talent, just needs to get his head straight and focus more on football like Finley did this season.

Brandon494
02-15-2010, 10:28 AM

Oh no doubt Finley is the better of the two but Bennett is still young and has a lot of talent, just needs to get his head straight and focus more on football like Finley did this season.

Deputy Nutz
02-16-2010, 08:50 AM
First I don't think Hawk struggles in coverage any more or less than Barnett or Chillar. Chillar seems to always get a pass because everyone calls him athletic, so they automatically think he is a coverage linebacker. Chillar was one of the main break downs in coverage over the middle in the Arizona game, he suffers in zone because he lacks feel for the game. Barnett is a bit better. It seems when Hawk gives up completions he is at least in the area of the offensive player, that he is usually in man coverage with, or playing an under zone. Half the time you can't blame Chillar because he is no where to be found.

I don't think Hawk has lived up to expectations as the 5th pick. He is no where near the player he was in college. He like all linebackers seems to have trouble taking on blockers, or avoiding the blockers and taking on the right gap. He fails to run through blockers. I, unlike some of you have a hard time finding fault with him in coverage. His blitzing is subpar, and I think Chillar and Barnett are both better blitzers. Although when they run a linebacker twist it seems Barnett gets home a lot more often when he runs it with Hawk and not Chillar.

The defense overall did a nice job of laying a heavy smoke screen. Sure they improved from last year, especially when statistics are concerned, but when they had to go up against good offenses they got blown out of the water, Minnesota twice, Pittsburgh, Arizona in the playoffs, and even the second halves of the Bears' games they struggled. The need an impact player on the other side of Mathews, they need a strong safety in the worst possible way, and they need two solid corners to play nickel and dime defense.

pbmax
02-16-2010, 09:32 AM
First I don't think Hawk struggles in coverage any more or less than Barnett or Chillar. Chillar seems to always get a pass because everyone calls him athletic, so they automatically think he is a coverage linebacker. Chillar was one of the main break downs in coverage over the middle in the Arizona game, he suffers in zone because he lacks feel for the game. Barnett is a bit better. It seems when Hawk gives up completions he is at least in the area of the offensive player, that he is usually in man coverage with, or playing an under zone. Half the time you can't blame Chillar because he is no where to be found.

I don't think Hawk has lived up to expectations as the 5th pick. He is no where near the player he was in college. He like all linebackers seems to have trouble taking on blockers, or avoiding the blockers and taking on the right gap. He fails to run through blockers. I, unlike some of you have a hard time finding fault with him in coverage. His blitzing is subpar, and I think Chillar and Barnett are both better blitzers. Although when they run a linebacker twist it seems Barnett gets home a lot more often when he runs it with Hawk and not Chillar.

The defense overall did a nice job of laying a heavy smoke screen. Sure they improved from last year, especially when statistics are concerned, but when they had to go up against good offenses they got blown out of the water, Minnesota twice, Pittsburgh, Arizona in the playoffs, and even the second halves of the Bears' games they struggled. The need an impact player on the other side of Mathews, they need a strong safety in the worst possible way, and they need two solid corners to play nickel and dime defense.
Welcome back.

I would rank those needs in this order:

1) Pass rush
2) CB depth
3) Safety

The long crossing routes Arizona ran underneath after clearing out coverage and the essentially 30 yard out route that Pittsburgh ran to win the game are impossible to complete with a better pass rush.

rbaloha1
02-19-2010, 01:01 PM

Agreed. Recall Chewy and keith jackson.

rbaloha1
02-19-2010, 01:03 PM

Spot-on. Hawk's liabilities are exposed in the pro game.