PDA

View Full Version : The Ice Bowl Cometh

Scott Campbell
02-10-2010, 11:56 AM
http://www.hulu.com/watch/123940/greatest-games-1967-the-ice-bowl

channtheman
02-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Awesome! When I get a little bit more time I'm going to watch the whole thing.

Scott Campbell
02-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Hint:

You'll love the ending.

TravisWilliams23
02-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the link Scott.

1965 was when I officially became a Packers fan.
After watching them win 3 years in a row, I was spoiled by their
success. Who'd have thought I'd have to wait 29 years to see
another title?

I remember being really upset when Lombardi left in 1968.
The team lost some really close games that year:
By 6 points to the Lions + a tie, 2 points to the Rams, 3 points to
the Bears, 4 points to the Vikes, and 7 points to the 49ers.
I gotta believe Vince would have gotten at least 3 more wins out of that team.

Anyhow, watching that video with Ray Scott announcing the game takes
me back to a time when all was well in the world.

Maxie the Taxi
02-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Well said, Travis. And thanks Scott. I just watched the replay and it brought back so many good and bad memories.

Watching Starr take all those sacks again was brutal. I remember how frustrating it was then. It was still bad now.

And Willie Wood fumbling a punt. Willie Wood never fumbles a punt! That hurt.

A couple other observations...

If Chuck Mercein had been named the games most valuable player, I don't think too many fans would have complained. Most remember him for the key pass reception and run at the end. But at the beginning of the game he recovered Anderson's fumble which was crucial.

Boyd Dowler! An unsung hero and essential element of the team. He looked almost gawky, but he was sneaky fast and one hell of a player.

The Packers' line and it's unsung hero Bob Skoronski. I don't think he ever made it to the Hall of Fame. He should have.

The Packers' Defense!!!! For any of us watching the games back then, what we watched was the defense. The excitement offensively was few and far between -- and those Starr sacks killed you to watch. Made you horse screaming at the TV.

But the defense. I think it was the best Packer defense of all time. In the replay, listen for the hits by Nitschke and Wood. Adderley and Jeter were both shut down corners. Dave Robinson was probably my favorite linebacker. The guy was big and tall with long arms. He was always in the right spot and made big plays his entire career. He isn't in the Hall of Fame and it's a damn shame.

What really made the defense click though was the D-line. If Nitschke was the heart of the defense, Willie Davis, Henry Jordan, Ron Kostelnik and Lionel Aldridge were its soul. They never stopped coming. They were relentless. They played virtually every minute of the game. They were every bit as good as the Dallas D-line that was studded with hall of famers.

The Dallas guys can say what they want. They lost in Dallas and in Green Bay. The field and conditions were the same for both teams.

They simply got beat by a better team.

gbgary
02-12-2010, 09:55 PM
i was 13. i remember watching it on tv...and jumping up and down at the end. lol

edit: listen to the great ray scott...you can tell this is voice-over narration but his actual "live" game call wasn't that much different. lol

Patler
02-13-2010, 05:38 AM
Probably the most emotional game for me ever as a Packer fan. Before the final drive I had mixed emotions of hopelessness and confidence. There seemed to be no chance, but my heart said "This is the Packers. They ALWAYS come through!" (Because they mostly always had.) Part of me said they could take the last drive and win, the rational and analytical part said I was crazy, it wouldn't happen that day on that field in those conditions. It was a team showing signs of decline, perhaps their time was up and it would end on the field in Green Bay.

I had an intense emotional battle with myself through out that game, which only intensified during the last drive.

Packers4Ever
02-16-2010, 04:49 PM

Scott, thanks for posting The Ice Bowl for all of us to watch and enjoy. I was NOT a football or Packer fan at that time, but it's a whole new ballgame today!

Did I see a different URL/website given for the remainder of the available
games to watch - or - can I find the whole thing posted on that same site you show above? I wanna see the whole thing :lol:
Thanks for your help, :P

Scott Campbell
02-16-2010, 05:32 PM

Scott, thanks for posting The Ice Bowl for all of us to watch and enjoy. I was NOT a football or Packer fan at that time, but it's a whole new ballgame today!

Did I see a different URL/website given for the remainder of the available
games to watch - or - can I find the whole thing posted on that same site you show above? I wanna see the whole thing :lol:
Thanks for your help, :P

If it exists, Steve Sabol would be the guy to have it.

pbmax
02-16-2010, 05:46 PM
I don't think there are complete copies of either the first or second Super Bowl. Only the common TV highlights and the NFL Films footage.

Packers4Ever
02-16-2010, 07:59 PM
I don't think there are complete copies of either the first or second Super Bowl. Only the common TV highlights and the NFL Films footage.

I think it's the common TV highlights and footage I'm looking for.
An entire pageful of games/portions from various games over the years, will look for that again. Someone here posted it a week or so ago.
Thanks, pbmax