PDA

View Full Version : Players I'd Be Happy With at #23

Smidgeon
02-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Okay, I'm no draftnik. I just hear or read what other people say or write and develop opinions based on whether or not the arguments are things I can get behind. That being said, my list probably has both reaches and players that will be long gone. It is your job to tell me which ones are which. Without further ado, the players I've seen around #23 on mock drafts that I could get excited about as a fan (in alphabetical order of position then first name):

OLB Brandon Graham
OG Mike Iupati
OT Brian Bulaga
OT Bruce Campbell
RB CJ Spiller
RB Jahvid Best (although I've also seen him mocked to the Packers in Round 2)

Honorable Mention
OT Charles Brown

On three: 1...2...3...Debate!

Joemailman
02-11-2010, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't be thrilled with the RB's because I don't think MM would utilize them enough to justify a 1st round pick. He seems to prefer a workhorse RB who gets the lion's share of the carries. The rest I'd be fine with and would add Sergio Kindle

Brandon494
02-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Okay, I'm no draftnik. I just hear or read what other people say or write and develop opinions based on whether or not the arguments are things I can get behind. That being said, my list probably has both reaches and players that will be long gone. It is your job to tell me which ones are which. Without further ado, the players I've seen around #23 on mock drafts that I could get excited about as a fan (in alphabetical order of position then first name):

OLB Brandon Graham
OG Mike Iupati
OT Brian Bulaga
OT Bruce Campbell
RB CJ Spiller

Honorable Mention
OT Charles Brown

1. CJ Spiller - speed back to complement Ryan Grant and also would improve your special teams in the return game. Some scouts think he might be the next Chris Johnson

2. Brian Bulaga- future stud at LT to protect our franchise QB, would love to select him but don't see him falling to the 23rd pick.

3. Bruce Campbell- Has the talent to be as good as Bulaga IF he can improve his technique.

4. Jahvid Best- top 10 talent but plenty of injury concerns.

5. Mike Iupati- Don't know too much about this guy, can he play any tackle? I think we are fine with our interior line, don't see us using our 1st round pick on a guard.

Maxie the Taxi
02-11-2010, 07:31 PM
I wouldn't be thrilled with the RB's because I don't think MM would utilize them enough to justify a 1st round pick. He seems to prefer a workhorse RB who gets the lion's share of the carries. The rest I'd be fine with and would add Sergio Kindle

Amen.

channtheman
02-11-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm no expert either but I would be happy with CJ Spiller, a good LT, or a good OLB to complement Matthews.

Tony Oday
02-11-2010, 08:21 PM
No LB or RB

We need DB and O line with first three then lets see some D line...can never have too many good men in the trenches.

Brandon494
02-11-2010, 08:23 PM

Amen.

To his defense look at the RBs he has had to work with in GB.

Smidgeon
02-11-2010, 10:03 PM

Amen.

To his defense look at the RBs he has had to work with in GB.

Agreed. I think MM is more innovative than people either notice or want to give him credit. I think if MM had Spiller, he'd use him and use him well.

Maxie the Taxi
02-12-2010, 06:19 AM
Smidgeon: "I think MM is more innovative than people either notice or want to give him credit. I think if MM had Spiller, he'd use him and use him well."

I won't dispute that. He'd use him mostly as a pass receiver and as a RB that can turn the edge. My only thought is that we didn't lose in the playoffs and lose against elite QB's because we lacked a higher powered offense. We lost because we couldn't pressure the QB without bringing the house. Thus, IMO, we need a guy like Sergio Kindle (or another pass rushing DE phenom) more than Spiller. Some would also argue we need replacements for Clifton and Tauscher, who are often insjured and not as effective as in years past, more than we need Spiller.

That said, I don't think Spiller will be available, but if TT picks him, fine. However, he better also have some solutions lined up to fix the pass rush and O-line problems of this year.

Fred's Slacks
02-12-2010, 06:24 AM

OLB Brandon Graham
OG Mike Iupati
OT Brian Bulaga
OT Bruce Campbell
RB CJ Spiller

Honorable Mention
OT Charles Brown

I could get on board with anyone on that list except maybe Best. I think its a little early at 23. Still, I wouldn't be upset and if we traded down to get him, that would be great. Iupati and Campbell scare me a bit because both would need to be coached up quite a bit and our OL coaches don't inspire a lot of confidence (at least not in me). That said, I think both have the talent to be LTs so it would be great to add that type of talent to our roster. Love Spiller, Love Bulaga, Love Graham (although I want to see how he does in space). One person I'd add is Sergio Kindle. Don't know much about him but his athletism would be intriguing opposite Clay.

Fritz
02-12-2010, 06:37 AM
All I know is that when Clifton's lining up at left tackle next fall, I would like a promising rookie left tackle sitting on the bench, watching and learning, and advanced enough to be able to step in the season after.

Maxie the Taxi
02-12-2010, 07:05 AM
All I know is that when Clifton's lining up at left tackle next fall, I would like a promising rookie left tackle sitting on the bench, watching and learning, and advanced enough to be able to step in the season after.

More promising than Barbre, Giacomini and Colledge? :) :) :)

red
02-12-2010, 08:33 AM
i'm not even about to make a list

if i do we'll just end up with justin harrell part 2

Smidgeon
02-12-2010, 08:52 AM
i'm not even about to make a list

if i do we'll just end up with justin harrell part 2

My list will definitely be changing as the draft approaches. There's still free-agency and the combine to go through.

denverYooper
02-12-2010, 09:12 AM

+1.

I'd feel pretty good about a Campbell pick if they re-signed Cliffy and let him work at LT only behind Chad. I would also be ok with Ducasse as a 2nd/3rd round pickup in a similar situation behind rither Cliffy or Tausch.

get louder at lambeau
02-12-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm with Fritz and denverYooper- I'd love to see them get a good tackle.

Are there any CBs out there that are potential #23 picks? That would be my second choice, going only by positional need as I see it.

red
02-12-2010, 09:47 AM

Are there any CBs out there that are potential #23 picks? That would be my second choice, going only by positional need as I see it.

patrick robinson from FSU is the #2 cb on the board and it looks like he might be there at #23

mission
02-12-2010, 10:21 AM

patrick robinson from FSU is the #2 cb on the board and it looks like he might be there at #23

players you'd be happy with.. stay on topic :P