PDA

View Full Version : Joey Porter Released

Joemailman
02-12-2010, 05:02 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/02/12/glazer-dolphins-grant-lbs-wish-release-porter/

Might carry some baggage, but was still a fairly productive player last year. Had 9 sacks despite missing 4 games. Do you want him?

red
02-12-2010, 05:11 PM
pft is already saying we're one of the top 3 destinations for him

capers is the one that brought him in to miami

i don't see it though, i'd be shocked if TT brought in a free agent that old

he would be a nice one year fix for the position if we can't get anything better in the draft. but the guy is old and he's a clown

MTPackerfan
02-12-2010, 08:57 PM
isn't he a locker room cancer, that is not Packer People.

Smidgeon
02-12-2010, 09:20 PM
isn't he a locker room cancer, that is not Packer People.

Maybe Capers knows how to keep him in line. Porter played for him once. On the other hand, maybe Capers knows how much of a locker room cancer he is...

BF4MVP
02-12-2010, 09:21 PM
I'd be for it. He's a good player at a position of need who probably wouldn't break the bank.

RashanGary
02-12-2010, 09:45 PM
I would take him in a heart beat. He plays the same position as Clay, but Clay is young and moldable. I could see Clay switching sides for a year or two.

If we kept Pickett, added Porter and added some solid, young secondary depth, I see no reason (outside injury) that this defense couldn't be elite.

Then a little OL help, a punter and some improvement from within and we're legit SB contenders, maybe favorites.

RashanGary
02-12-2010, 09:48 PM
If Brad Jones is a legit player, it gives us a year or two to really develop him. If he's not the guy, it gives us a year or two to find the guy.

We're already a legitimate 3-4 team, but this move would make us an elite 3-4 team. We still need more zone instinctive secondary players (zone corners are often found later in the draft), but the front 7 would be great. This looks like a Ted type move to me. I know we didn't land Moss or Gonzo, but we were one of the few teams interested in each. Porter is another great player like Moss and Gonzo. Before long, we're going to end up with one of these elite veterans that we've sought out. We got Woodson and been in the hunt with the other two. This could be another get for us. It's right up the ally of what Ted has been doing, actually. Capers gives Porter a comfortable setting too, a chance to fit right into a defense later in his career.

Joemailman
02-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Dolphins had to put Porter back on their roster because cutting him would have put them over the salary cap.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8165dba9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

BF4MVP
02-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Haha, that's pretty funny, actually.

Tony Oday
02-13-2010, 01:00 AM
Porter in '10 = Rison in '06?

Brandon494
02-13-2010, 07:04 AM
I'm not sure if he would come to GB but its no doubt he would imrpove our defense. Would much rather TT sign him over Kampman.

3irty1
02-13-2010, 11:57 PM
I think he'll become a patriot. He's their type if pick up and I'm guessing that's why he asked for a release in the first place.

KYPack
02-15-2010, 09:53 AM
OK, isn't this the uncapped year?

That'll start sometime in march, right?

So Miami could sign, like 15 Joey porters if they wanted to, right?

They just wait until the March start to do the deed, no?

This is fucked up.

pbmax
02-15-2010, 11:06 AM
OK, isn't this the uncapped year?

That'll start sometime in march, right?

So Miami could sign, like 15 Joey porters if they wanted to, right?

They just wait until the March start to do the deed, no?

This is fucked up.
You are right, March 3rd is the new league year and the start of FA, I think.

So the Dolphins need to adhere to cap rules until then. But this essentially gives everyone a pass (even moreso than usual) to tamper and negotiate with his agent.

Harlan Huckleby
02-15-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm thinking that "Joey Porter" is a crappy defensive back who played briefly for the Packers. Some neurons must be misfiring.

Scott Campbell
02-15-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm thinking that "Joey Porter" is a crappy defensive back who played briefly for the Packers. Some neurons must be misfiring.

Are you thinking of Joey Thomas?

Harlan Huckleby
02-15-2010, 03:54 PM
uhh, ya. Porter, Thomas.

ND72
02-15-2010, 06:30 PM

Packer do in fact have a DB named Joe Porter. He was our final cut last year...don't know if he remained on the practice squad or not this year. I personally hated Joe Porter, DB. We had the Packer Basketball team over here in Adams-Friendship, I reffed, and Joe Porter called one of my calls a "Hick-ass redneck call".....there-fore, I wanted him to die.

Fritz
02-15-2010, 07:18 PM

Packer do in fact have a DB named Joe Porter. He was our final cut last year...don't know if he remained on the practice squad or not this year. I personally hated Joe Porter, DB. We had the Packer Basketball team over here in Adams-Friendship, I reffed, and Joe Porter called one of my calls a "Hick-ass redneck call".....there-fore, I wanted him to die.

When you're an elite defensive back like he was, ND, you can get away with that kind of dismissive attitude.

Harlan Huckleby
02-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Packer do in fact have a DB named Joe Porter. .

I think that is entirely different guy. "Joey Porter" was a safety a few years back, a relatively high draft pick.

Bretsky
02-15-2010, 08:38 PM

I think that is entirely different guy. "Joey Porter" was a safety a few years back, a relatively high draft pick.

http://www.packers.com/history/record_book/draft/2004/

pbmax
02-15-2010, 09:19 PM

Well now I am intrigued. What qualifies as a hick-ass redneck call? Traveling, palming or anything against Joe Porter?

Did he go to Duke? :lol:

get louder at lambeau
02-15-2010, 10:58 PM

Well now I am intrigued. What qualifies as a hick-ass redneck call? Traveling, palming or anything against Joe Porter?

And more to the point- Are you, in fact, a hick-ass redneck?

channtheman
02-15-2010, 11:30 PM

If the person who made the call was a "hick ass redneck" then I'd have to assume that every call they make could fall under that classification.

pbmax
02-16-2010, 07:13 AM

http://www.packers.com/history/record_book/draft/2004/
That isn't fit to be read by anyone under 21. :)

At least until the fifth round.

ND72
02-16-2010, 08:21 AM

I am no where close to being a hickass redneck. And the call I made was that James Jones was out of bounds, which he was, and then I was told "You don't make that call against us".....then Joe made his dick headed line to me, which then Ruvell Martin got pissed at him instead of me, which helped.

pbmax
02-16-2010, 08:30 AM

I am no where close to being a hickass redneck. And the call I made was that James Jones was out of bounds, which he was, and then I was told "You don't make that call against us".....then Joe made his dick headed line to me, which then Ruvell Martin got pissed at him instead of me, which helped.
Who told you that you "don't make that call against us"? Was it Jones?

Unfortunate. Everyone always needs to learn the same lessons, over and over again.

ND72
02-16-2010, 10:23 AM

Unfortunate. Everyone always needs to learn the same lessons, over and over again.

No, it was Colin Cole.

James Jones was pretty cool even though Porter & Cole were being dicks, he just laughed, then tried to pants me. Ruvell was angry at first, but Jones told him it's cool, then Ruvell apologized to me, and yelled at Porter as well.

Harlan Huckleby
02-16-2010, 10:43 AM
I think Joey Thomas was too "stiff hipped" (meaning lousy) to play corner and they tried him at safety. But since I couldn't remember his name, I guess I am an unreliable witness.

Smidgeon
02-16-2010, 10:51 AM
I think Joey Thomas was too "stiff hipped" (meaning lousy) to play corner and they tried him at safety. But since I couldn't remember his name, I guess I am an unreliable witness.

Yeah, you wouldn't last 10 seconds in a court of law...

Fritz
02-16-2010, 12:44 PM

No, it was Colin Cole.

James Jones was pretty cool even though Porter & Cole were being dicks, he just laughed, then tried to pants me. Ruvell was angry at first, but Jones told him it's cool, then Ruvell apologized to me, and yelled at Porter as well.

Since I've always liked James Jones, I'm glad he wasn't the penis in this situation.

Now that I'm thinking about this more carefully, the people who criticized you - Perter, Cole, and Martin, at first - are no longer with the Packers.

I think this is a lesson for all future Packers-touring-as-basketball-players.

You mess with ND, Thompson cuts your sorry ass or lets you get signed away by the Seattles of the NFL.