PDA

View Full Version : Kiper Mock 2.0

Brandon494
02-17-2010, 04:23 PM
St. Louis Rams

Record: 1-15
Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska

Clearly, the Rams need to figure out who will take the snaps, and it'll be interesting to see whether they are overwhelmed by one of the QB options. But unless St. Louis trades down -- which is always difficult given the economics of the draft -- Suh is a safe pick. As I've said before, on film he's maybe the most dominating defensive tackle I've seen. He can help immediately. Oddly, for a player so highly thought of, Suh may be even more versatile than some think.

Detroit Lions

Record: 2-14
Gerald McCoy*, DT, Oklahoma

McCoy or Suh will be a welcome sight for the Lions with the second pick, and McCoy is an extraordinarily good consolation prize for any team unable to get Suh. He's simply not that far behind the former Cornhusker in the eyes of personnel people. McCoy is highly disruptive and an ideal player to use as an attacking defensive tackle in a 4-3 scheme.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Record: 3-13
Eric Berry*, S, Tennessee

People will continue to debate the merits of taking a safety so high, but Berry is an exception to any rule. He could be the next to join the class of true difference-makers at the safety position with the likes of Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed (the most frequent comparison) and Bob Sanders. Berry is outstanding in coverage and far more physical than his size would indicate.

Washington Redskins

Record: 4-12
Jimmy Clausen*, QB, Notre Dame

Clausen will gain momentum after the combine. Once he's fully recovered from his toe surgery, he'll show teams he can make the throws, but there's more to it. His intelligence, competitiveness and toughness will impress personnel people, and his stock will rise. Clausen has under-center experience and was as close to mistake-free as he could be given his surroundings this past season.

Kansas City Chiefs

Record: 4-12
Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers

Davis has the physical talent to be a Pro Bowl player early in his career, but he's still developing. Still, given a choice, the Chiefs can't pass on his upside, which is as high as any player's in the draft. A potential Walter Jones-like presence, if his development continues. The Chiefs also could move Branden Albert to the right side.

Seattle Seahawks

Record: 5-11
Sam Bradford*, QB, Oklahoma

The bottom line on Bradford: This quarterback has 10-point accuracy and could very well have gone ahead of Matthew Stafford as the No. 1 pick last year. He will have a chance to prove to many scouts he's still the elite prospect many believe him to be. It's fair to doubt him, but his talent is unquestionable.
Cleveland Browns

Joe Haden*, CB, Florida

Haden has the chance to be a top-five player at his position very quickly. He also fits an immediate need for Cleveland and is easily the top cornerback on the board, a player it can plug in from day one. A deft cover corner and great tackler, Haden is the total package.
Oakland Raiders

Jason Pierre-Paul*, DE, South Florida

Like Anthony Davis, Pierre-Paul has as much upside as any player in the draft. He's still raw by NFL standards but could contribute quickly just based on incredible athleticism. Once his pass-rushing skills are refined, he's a game-changer.
Buffalo Bills

Record: 6-10
Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State

The Bills should race to the podium as the Redskins did last year when Brian Orakpo landed in their laps. Significant need meets fantastic value here, with Okung being able to step in right away and help a weak offensive line.
Denver Broncos (from Chicago)

Record: 7-9
Dez Bryant*, WR, Oklahoma State

Obviously, a lot depends on whether Brandon Marshall is expected to be back come draft time, but if he isn't, this pick is a winner. You fill the void with the best deep threat in the draft. Bryant has great size and was unstoppable in the Big 12; he's a weapon in the passing game.
Jacksonville Jaguars

Record: 7-9
Derrick Morgan*, DE, Georgia Tech

In the first mock, I had Pierre-Paul in this spot, but his rising stock moves him up the board. Morgan certainly hasn't fallen as a prospect and should be snatched up quickly by the pass-rush-deficient Jags. He's as productive and versatile a player as there is in the draft.
Miami Dolphins

Record:7-9
Rolando McClain*, LB, Alabama

A great get for Miami, a team that needs an inside linebacker and could get the best one in the draft after the top 10. I mentioned before that the Dolphins also could go after Bryant if he were to fall to them here, because they also must address their need at wide receiver. Problem is after Bryant, there's a value gap. If McClain and Bryant are gone here, a trade down the board could be considered.
San Francisco 49ers

Record: 8-8
C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

In Spiller, the 49ers can add a player who complements Frank Gore in a way I don't think Glen Coffee can. Spiller is a home run threat and should spell Gore and diversify the offense. He also provides an upgrade in the return game.
Seattle Seahawks (from Denver)

Everson Griffen*, DE, USC

Seattle could use help on its O-line, but Griffen fills a significant need for pass-rush help here. The Seahawks will take a serious value hit if they select an offensive tackle here with Okung and Davis already off the board. Griffen also has a great size-speed combination, ideal on the edge of a 4-3.
New York Giants

Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas

Kindle is a need pick for the Giants, who must get stronger in their linebacking corps and could use a little more help with situational pass-rushing than some think. Kindle will need to overcome size issues -- another way of saying he simply could add some bulk to a long (6-4) frame -- but he's proven far sturdier against the run than many who also can rush the passer.
San Francisco 49ers (from Carolina)

Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma

Considering how good Williams is, even at a position that normally doesn't draw high-to-mid first-round picks, getting him here would be of solid value. Williams could step in immediately at right tackle, and the 49ers would upgrade up front.
Tennessee Titans

Carlos Dunlap*, DE, Florida

At a certain point, even questions surrounding a player's makeup can't overcome the talent, and getting a player like Dunlap at this stage is hard to question. With exceptional size and top-end athleticism for a defensive end, Dunlap should help disrupt opposing passers early in his career.
Pittsburgh Steelers

Record: 9-7
Mike Iupati, G, Idaho

Iupati was one of the breakout stars at the Senior Bowl. He fits what Pittsburgh likes as an athletic but powerful guard who should help return the Steelers' running game to the upper half of the league. Steve Hutchinson comparisons are legitimate. (Hutchinson went No. 17 overall in the 2001 draft.)
Atlanta Falcons

Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State

Wilson is another player who jumped at the Senior Bowl. He's fluid, excellent in coverage and an immediate help on special teams. Wilson had a quiet season, but great cornerbacks often do. He simply wasn't challenged enough. Stock is now back on the rise.
Houston Texans

Brian Price*, DT, UCLA

One of the guys who carries over with the same team from the first mock. Price is hidden away a bit in such a deep class of defensive linemen, but he's a disruptive force who uses great leverage. He should help a defense that's really close to being very good.
Cincinnati Bengals

Record: 10-6
Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech

Here's the big riser of the past couple of weeks. Thomas will be red-hot after the workouts get going. He's a big target (6-3, 225 pounds) and a downfield threat. He averaged more than 25 yards per catch and remained productive in a run-based offense based. Carson Palmer needs weapons, and Thomas can be one.
New England Patriots

Brandon Graham, OLB, Michigan

If production were all that mattered, Graham would be long gone by now. He led the FBS in tackles for loss and showed why at the Senior Bowl. Always in the backfield, he's an ideal outside linebacker for the Patriots' system, a terror against both the run and the pass.
Green Bay Packers

Record: 11-5
Bryan Bulaga*, OT, Iowa

The more you listen to Green Bay's people, the more you get the sense that keeping Aaron Rodgers upright is a major priority, and it should be, because seeing an MVP-level talent knocked out because of a lack of protection is a sad thought. Bulaga can help immediately, and he has room to grow.
Philadelphia Eagles

Taylor Mays, S, USC

The Eagles are looking for that heir to Brian Dawkins, a physical safety who can scare opposing receivers and contribute to the rush defense. Mays has everything you could ask for as a physical package. He had a bad season, and there are legit concerns, but Mays still reeks of top-level NFL athleticism. He just needs to put it together.
Baltimore Ravens

Arrelious Benn*, WR, Illinois

Every indication out of Baltimore is that this organization is committed to finding pieces that can help Joe Flacco. If Benn shows scouts he has the necessary speed, everything else is there. He is physical, can run after the catch and can even help in the return game.
Arizona Cardinals

Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

I kept Williams here as a solid remedy to fill the Cardinals' second-biggest need. Just a tremendously strong player, starting with exceptional drive from his lower body, Williams is a disruptive force against the run and is a great help to linebackers.
Dallas Cowboys

Bruce Campbell*, OT, Maryland

Cowboys fans with bad memories of getting thrashed up front in the playoffs should be thrilled to get a talent like Campbell right here. Campbell should see his stock rise at the combine, where his athleticism will be on display. If the Cowboys are serious about addressing their biggest need, this is the direction they need to go.
San Diego Chargers

Record: 13-3
Terrence Cody, DT, Alabama

As I explained earlier this week, I expect to see Cody's stock rise because he may be the purest example in this draft of a guy who, limitations aside, specifically fits a scheme. Cody is the prototype block-occupying clogger in a 3-4 scheme. You can question his weight or his versatility, but he can make other players better. Remember, Jamal Williams' injury is a factor here.
New York Jets

Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers

The Jets could use some receiving help for Mark Sanchez here as well, but McCourty is a guy whose stock could skyrocket if he runs the way many think he will. The Jets can get exposed when passers throw away from Darrelle Revis, and McCourty could be the answer on the other side.
Minnesota Vikings

Record: 12-4
Maurkice Pouncey, G/C, Florida

The Vikings could use help on the interior of their offensive line, and Pouncey has a first-round grade as a guard, which makes him an outstanding player. The Vikes did well when they looked to Gainesville in the first round last year.
Indianapolis Colts

Record: 14-2
Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State

One of the areas in which Indy could use help is along the interior of its defensive line, and Odrick can help the linebackers run free and be disruptive in his own right. Like Williams at No. 26, a great talent buried a little bit in a deep class of defensive linemen.
New Orleans Saints

Record: 14-2
Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri

Weatherspoon fits like a glove for the Saints as an outside linebacker in 4-3 system. He has ideal size for the position and is a tackling machine. Weatherspoon has the speed and experience to play inside or out, so adding versatility is also a good value proposition.

BF4MVP
02-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Absolutely love it. I probably wouldn't expect him to be there when we pick, but if he is, it should be a no-brainer.

Also, kudos to Mel for calling Aaron Rodgers an MVP-level talent. We all know that, but it's nice when someone in the national media says it, which doesn't happen often.

pbmax
02-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Yeah, but what is the recent record of Iowa offensive lineman? I can't get Gallery out of my head.

Hasn't the line of thinking switched from "Ferentz gets them NFL ready" to "Ferentz has already maxed them out"?

Maxie the Taxi
02-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Maurkice Pouncey going to the Vikings is a stake in Green Bay's heart. :(

Lurker64
02-17-2010, 10:22 PM
I think that the Gallery to Bulaga comparisons are way off the point. You have to look closer on them as players, not just the school they attended. If you look at them as players in college (I probably have an advantage at this, being an Iowa alumnus) Gallery was a guy who was a powerhouse and a brilliant technician, but he had short arms, lacked tackle feet, and simply wasn't a very good athlete. Watching Bulaga play, he's nowhere near the technician that Gallery was but he's a significantly better athlete and probably a more complete player (Gallery's pass pro was never particularly impressive, but watch Bulaga handle Derrick Morgan in the Orange Bowl). If I'm looking for a Big Ten tackle to compare Bulaga to, I'm looking more towards Jake Long than Robert Gallery. Like Long, Bulaga is a guy who doesn't project like some of the LT prospects who are destined to the hall of fame, but is a guy who could be a ten year starter on the right side and has the athleticism to play on the left. Gallery's feet were so bad, he couldn't even play right tackle (he's a pretty good guard though).

pbmax
02-17-2010, 10:31 PM
I think that the Gallery to Bulaga comparisons are way off the point. You have to look closer on them as players, not just the school they attended. If you look at them as players in college (I probably have an advantage at this, being an Iowa alumnus) Gallery was a guy who was a powerhouse and a brilliant technician, but he had short arms, lacked tackle feet, and simply wasn't a very good athlete. Watching Bulaga play, he's nowhere near the technician that Gallery was but he's a significantly better athlete and probably a more complete player (Gallery's pass pro was never particularly impressive, but watch Bulaga handle Derrick Morgan in the Orange Bowl). If I'm looking for a Big Ten tackle to compare Bulaga to, I'm looking more towards Jake Long than Robert Gallery. Like Long, Bulaga is a guy who doesn't project like some of the LT prospects who are destined to the hall of fame, but is a guy who could be a ten year starter on the right side and has the athleticism to play on the left. Gallery's feet were so bad, he couldn't even play right tackle (he's a pretty good guard though).
I gotcha. I wasn't trying to draw a direct comparison. Outside of the Badger games, I have not seen Bulaga. I was just referencing the NFL record of Iowa lineman recently. But like many trends (including Tedford QBs), the individual matters most.

Joemailman
02-17-2010, 11:16 PM
I was really impressed by Bulaga's footwork in the Orange Bowl. He just never seemed to be out of position. He also looks like he has the frame to add 10-15 pounds. Not sure what his run blocking will be like, but his pass pro ability looks top notch.

A lot of people don't think he'll be available when the Packers pick. His thyroid condition, which caused him to miss some games in 2009 could make somebody nervous. If it causes someone to rate Bruce Campbell ahead of Bulaga, Bulaga could fall to the Packers.

RashanGary
02-17-2010, 11:25 PM
Never know how these guys are going to shake out, but from the little I've seen of Bulaga and what I read, he's the guy I'm hoping for.

I'd also be happy with the LG, Iupati and what I read about Kyle Wilson, he sounds like a potential great player too. Outside of that, I don't know a whole hell of a lot about the prospects. It looks deep at Corner, Safety and OT. There is a great chance that best player available meets our needs this year.

RashanGary
02-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Just watched about 10 minutes of Jahvid Best. I think he's a safe bet to be a really good player. I don't think he'll ever be an elite runner, but he has a very well rounded game.

Watching his tape, I like how many times they threw the ball to him down the field. First, he caught it, but it also shows the coaches and QB trust him to catch the ball. It's not a fluke that he had so many deeper passes. They do that stuff on purpose because they believe he can do it.

I like his ability in the open field. He's very dynamic in space.

I think he's a lot like Reggie Bush. He's fast. He can catch. I think he'd be a good KR. He can run a little.

Ideally, he'd be a 3rd down back and kick returner. He'd be a very unique weapon on the field on 3rd down. You can do a lot with him.

I don't know, I don't really think I'd want him in the first round though. I never saw him break a tough tackle in his highlight reel. That's a scary thing for a guy who's main responsiblity is going to be running the ball. I like running backs that break tackles. As much as Chris Johnson is known as a speed guy, I was shocked when I watched him how well he breaks tackles. Best didn't look like that. Not that there are very many Chris Johnsons, but a RB that doesn't break tackles scares me.

I'm still hoping for an OL or secondary player. Jahvid Best looks good, but I'm not hoping to get him or anything like that.

Scott Campbell
02-18-2010, 09:07 AM

Maxie the Taxi
02-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Kiper's all hat and no cattle.

TT's gonna draft defense first. A pass rusher.

ThunderDan
02-18-2010, 10:22 AM

I think if one of the 3 top T are on the board TT goes LT. I just don't see the Iowa kid still available at our pick so I think we go with an OLB to pass rush opposite Mathews.

I wouldn't mind a top CB or S but I think TT will wait a little later in the draft for those positions.

pbmax
02-18-2010, 10:30 AM

I think you are right and it will be OLB unless someone falls into his lap at Tackle or at DB. Would need to have a high first round grade to get him off pass rush.

Maxie the Taxi
02-18-2010, 10:45 AM

I think if one of the 3 top T are on the board TT goes LT. I just don't see the Iowa kid still available at our pick so I think we go with an OLB to pass rush opposite Mathews.

I wouldn't mind a top CB or S but I think TT will wait a little later in the draft for those positions.

I basically agree. At #23 there are going to be left more great pass rushers than great LT's.

If we have to we can cobble together our OL with who we have now, lower draft choices and maybe even a free agent.

We need to win the NFC North in order to have a legitimate chance to get to the Super Bowl. In order for that to happen, we need to pressure and get to Favre (or whoever) with our front four or five guys. Right now we have Clay and Jenkins. Kampman ain't the answer.

With guys like Sergio Kindle, Jerry Hughes, Jason Pierre-Paul, Brandon Graham, Ricky Sapp, Carlos Dunlap, Everson Griffen and Derrick Morgan (in no particular order) in this draft, we can't afford NOT to pick the best available pass rusher left at #23.

Believe me, any OT in this draft ready to step in and be our starting LT will be long gone by #23. So no matter how you cut it, TT will find no immediate help at LT from this draft. Who thinks Bulaga can be our starting LT in 2010? I don't.

On the other hand, Clay proved the right guy can come in on defense and be a difference-maker from day one.

That said, TT might just draft a WR. :)

RashanGary
02-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Pass rush is very valuable, but I don't know if Ted is dead set on drafting that 1st.

If I had to order our needs, I'd go like this:

OT
CB
S
OLB

We could use great players all over, but the ones above are bigger immediate needs.

And good LT's are every bit as rare and important as good pass rushers. This year looks pretty strong at tackle. If I had to guess our pick, I'd guess OL.

ThunderDan
02-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Pass rush is very valuable, but I don't know if Ted is dead set on drafting that 1st.

OT
CB
S
OLB

We could use great players all over, but the ones above are bigger immediate needs.

And good LT's are every bit as rare and important as good pass rushers. This year looks pretty strong at tackle. If I had to guess our pick, I'd guess OL.

I think it is kind of funny that our D-Line was deep in 2007, a cluster-fuck in 2008 and now thought of as a strength in 2009. Should we draft D-Line to stop the drop off in 2010?

Smidgeon
02-18-2010, 11:46 AM

OT
CB
S
OLB

I think it is kind of funny that our D-Line was deep in 2007, a cluster-fuck in 2008 and now thought of as a strength in 2009. Should we draft D-Line to stop the drop off in 2010?

Nah, Justin Harrell's coming back healthy... <fingers crossed> ;)

But definitely disagree with drafting for need if the value isn't there. Regardless of how much GB needs an OT. DON'T REACH. That's what tanks teams (**cough**Detroit**cough**).

RashanGary
02-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Outside of QB, P, K and specialist, I don't see any position where a dominate player wouldn't be a long term help to this team.

Let's say we draft Jermaine Gresham. Sure, Finley looks like an up and coming star, but it's been said by others, imagine having two Finley's on the field, two guys that can block, stretch the field and catch. I'd imagine it would be tough to defend, I imagine it would open up redzone opportunities, I imagine it would open up trade opportunities.

I just want a star. Hopefully there are a couple on the same tier and we can get one we need more. I think it's likely to be a DB, OL or pass rusher just because that's where the talent seems to be and that's our biggest needs. Not to say reach, but if there's a tie breaker, take the guy you need more and I think that it has a good chance of falling that way.

Smidgeon
02-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Outside of QB, P, K and specialist, I don't see any position where a dominate player wouldn't be a long term help to this team.

Let's say we draft Jermaine Gresham. Sure, Finley looks like an up and coming star, but it's been said by others, imagine having two Finley's on the field, two guys that can block, stretch the field and catch. I'd imagine it would be tough to defend, I imagine it would open up redzone opportunities, I imagine it would open up trade opportunities.

I just want a star. Hopefully there are a couple on the same tier and we can get one we need more. I think it's likely to be a DB, OL or pass rusher just because that's where the talent seems to be and that's our biggest needs. Not to say reach, but if there's a tie breaker, take the guy you need more and I think that it has a good chance of falling that way.

My best guess is that all the value OTs will be gone by #23. I doubt anyone gets past Pittsburgh.

Smidgeon
02-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Is this thread about mocking Kiper twice? Because if it is:

1) His hair is too big
2) He needs to get a life

When 3.0 comes out, I guess I'll have to add a third mockery...

RashanGary
02-18-2010, 04:11 PM
I don't know, smidge, I thought there was no way the squatty 330 lb DT with crazy explosiveness and dominating senior bowl performance would be gone by pick 9, but we got him.

There's a chance a great OT will be drafted at or after our pick. I'd even be OK with a dominate guard. I can stand Colledge, but I can stand to replace him too.

And Clay Matthews. He's a dominate player drafted in a similar slot. Who's to say TT hasn't sniffed otu the Clay Matthews of OT's this year?

Never know. There seems to be a lot of OL and secondary talent this year. OT being our biggest need and breaking all tie breakers, I'm going to stick with my guess being OL.

Smidgeon
02-18-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't know, smidge, I thought there was no way the squatty 330 lb DT with crazy explosiveness and dominating senior bowl performance would be gone by pick 9, but we got him.

There's a chance a great OT will be drafted at or after our pick. I'd even be OK with a dominate guard. I can stand Colledge, but I can stand to replace him too.

And Clay Matthews. He's a dominate player drafted in a similar slot. Who's to say TT hasn't sniffed otu the Clay Matthews of OT's this year?

Never know. There seems to be a lot of OL and secondary talent this year. OT being our biggest need and breaking all tie breakers, I'm going to stick with my guess being OL.

An elite(ish) prospect dropping to #9 is different than one dropping to #23. If one's available, I'm absolutely all for it. I just don't think it will happen. As for Matthews, his limited experience (if I remember correctly) is what caused him to drop. Turns out he projected better than thought.

Joemailman
02-18-2010, 05:00 PM

I think you are right and it will be OLB unless someone falls into his lap at Tackle or at DB. Would need to have a high first round grade to get him off pass rush.

Doesn't seem to be TT's M.O. to reach just to fill a need. You think he'll trade up again if he has to? My guess is that with this being a deep draft, he won't want to do that.

Brandon494
02-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Still don't see TT drafting a LB with the first pick. It will either be a OT or secondary help.

BZnDallas
02-18-2010, 08:15 PM

An elite(ish) prospect dropping to #9 is different than one dropping to #23. If one's available, I'm absolutely all for it. I just don't think it will happen. As for Matthews, his limited experience (if I remember correctly) is what caused him to drop. Turns out he projected better than thought.

wasn't Michael Oher drafted 23 or something like that??

Smidgeon
02-18-2010, 08:44 PM

He was, but because of his learning disability, some people weren't convinced he could learn the position well enough. At least, that's what I heard. Some people had him ranked in the top 10, some at the bottom of round 1. He wasn't (pre-draft) a consensus top tackle like Smith, Jason whats-his-name, etc.

Brandon494
02-18-2010, 08:52 PM

He was, but because of his learning disability, some people weren't convinced he could learn the position well enough. At least, that's what I heard. Some people had him ranked in the top 10, some at the bottom of round 1. He wasn't (pre-draft) a consensus top tackle like Smith, Jason whats-his-name, etc.

Vikings also got Loadholt in the 2nd round so to say we can't find a tackle with the #23 pick is not true. Just because we can't get the top tackle prospect in the draft doesn't mean we can't draft a starter with the 23rd pick.

I can pretty much guarntee you that we will not draft a LB with our 1st round pick and you can quote me on that.

Smidgeon
02-18-2010, 09:35 PM

Vikings also got Loadholt in the 2nd round so to say we can't find a tackle with the #23 pick is not true. Just because we can't get the top tackle prospect in the draft doesn't mean we can't draft a starter with the 23rd pick.

I can pretty much guarntee you that we will not draft a LB with our 1st round pick and you can quote me on that.

Isn't Loadholt playing RT?

Brandon494
02-18-2010, 10:01 PM

Yea but he was also a 2nd round pick.

Also Lang showed last season that he can handle playing LT.

We had two rookies playing OLB last season who did a damn good job, why are we going to use another 1st round pick on a OLB when he more important areas of need. Sure we can improve over Brad Jones but you gotta realize dude was a rookie, he is going to improve and get better along with Clay Matthews.

Pretty much what Im saying is we have young talent at the LB position, now we need young talent at tackle and in the secondary.

Lurker64
02-18-2010, 11:00 PM

Loadholt is pretty much the platonic form of a RTO.

packrulz
02-19-2010, 05:05 AM
I wonder what TT thinks of Taylor Mays? South Cal had a bad year but I like him. Size/speed is perfect and he hits like a truck.

hurleyfan
02-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Yeah, but what is the recent record of Iowa offensive lineman? I can't get Gallery out of my head.

Hasn't the line of thinking switched from "Ferentz gets them NFL ready" to "Ferentz has already maxed them out"?

Could we add Ross Verba to this list? Came from Iowa right?

Smidgeon
02-19-2010, 08:15 AM
I wonder what TT thinks of Taylor Mays? South Cal had a bad year but I like him. Size/speed is perfect and he hits like a truck.

And tackles like Cromartie... Seriously though, the knock I'm hearing is that as athletic as he is, he doesn't have the instinct to back it up and would rather hit a guy hard than secure and tackle.

Smidgeon
02-19-2010, 08:17 AM

We had two rookies playing OLB last season who did a damn good job, why are we going to use another 1st round pick on a OLB when he more important areas of need. Sure we can improve over Brad Jones but you gotta realize dude was a rookie, he is going to improve and get better along with Clay Matthews.

Pretty much what Im saying is we have young talent at the LB position, now we need young talent at tackle and in the secondary.

So you'd prefer Jones over another Clay Matthews?

3irty1
02-19-2010, 09:12 AM
I think Brian may be gone but I'd be happy with a shot at Campbell. Last year Oher went at #23 so Campbell might too. Both are sort of boom or bust. Campbell is a big injury risk. The speculation is that he'd be a top 10 pick next year if he didn't declare early.

He's kind of a TT pick in that he's very lean and light on his feet. There just aren't many 310 pound people who are as lean as Campbell. The only thing he's missing that would make him a really great TT lineman is a really nasty mean streak.

Brandon494
02-19-2010, 09:45 AM

Thats not what I said.......

Both our starting tackles are 33 years of age and injury phone while our two starting OLB are coming off very impressive rookie seasons and are 23 years of age. Yes I would would another Clay Matthews over Brad Jones but just because Clay Matthews was picked in that range last year doesnt mean we'll fine a clone of Clay. Without AR we are NOT a playoff team and even though our pass proection looked a lot better in the 2nd half of the season Rodgers still got sacked more than any other QB in the league.

Smidgeon
02-19-2010, 10:36 AM

Thats not what I said.......

Both our starting tackles are 33 years of age and injury phone while our two starting OLB are coming off very impressive rookie seasons and are 23 years of age. Yes I would would another Clay Matthews over Brad Jones but just because Clay Matthews was picked in that range last year doesnt mean we'll fine a clone of Clay. Without AR we are NOT a playoff team and even though our pass proection looked a lot better in the 2nd half of the season Rodgers still got sacked more than any other QB in the league.

I absolutely agree with what you're saying in terms of needing an OT. But I would qualify what you're saying about Brad Jones by saying he played impressively for a seventh round draft pick. If he had been drafted in the first round and barely saw the field until the second half of the year due to the starter's injury, everyone would be calling his pick wasted because he was average (for a first rounder) on the field. But since he was a seventh round pick and far exceeded expectations, it was considered an impressive season.

The part I take issue with is focusing on need ahead of the draft. The best you can do is layer your board (If player x is available, take him, then take y if he isn't, then z if he isn't, etc...). If a valued LT drops to #23, amazing. If not, I would gladly take an OLB who can take pressure off Clay.

Brandon494
02-19-2010, 10:46 AM
This years draft is pretty rich in OT prospects so having one fall to the #23 spot is not out of the question.

rbaloha1
02-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Hope a left tackle is available at the Packer's slot. If not, Taylor Mays would be nice.

Brandon494
02-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Hope a left tackle is available at the Packer's slot. If not, Taylor Mays would be nice.

Hell no to Taylor Mays, he will be the next Roy Williams. Too much of a liability in coverage.

A guy I would not mind us selecting in the 2nd round would be Myron Rolle from FSU.

Maxie the Taxi
02-19-2010, 11:10 AM

Hell no to Taylor Mays, he will be the next Roy Williams. Too much of a liability in coverage.

A guy I would not mind us selecting in the 2nd round would be Myron Rolle from FSU.

Amen.

We need good cover guys with football instincts more than anything else in the secondary. This goes hand-in-hand with good pass rush guys. Together, good cover and good pass rush, is the only way we'll every be able to beat elite QB's like Favre, Brees, Manning, Rivers and keep beating the Staffords and Cutlers.

I like Javier Arenas too, because he's one of the best cover guys and has great football instincts.

b bulldog
02-19-2010, 11:10 AM
As noted, Mays lack of talent around him this past year exposed his weaknesses. He has nothing in regards to instincts and he gets exposed in coverage. He also lacks in tackling cause all he wants to do is make the ESPN highlight hit and as a resullt, whiffs a lot. My dream would be a top T falling to 23 as one should and Brandon Graham falling into the second round where TT once again TRADES up to draft a stud OLB.

Smidgeon
02-19-2010, 11:28 AM

+1

And like I said in a previous post, Mays tackles like Cromartie.

I personally don't know about Rolle. That's where I have to defer to the scouts and personel execs who study players for a living. My "expertise" fades after the first round.

RashanGary
02-19-2010, 11:36 AM
As noted, Mays lack of talent around him this past year exposed his weaknesses. He has nothing in regards to instincts and he gets exposed in coverage. He also lacks in tackling cause all he wants to do is make the ESPN highlight hit and as a resullt, whiffs a lot. My dream would be a top T falling to 23 as one should and Brandon Graham falling into the second round where TT once again TRADES up to draft a stud OLB.

If this happened, I see no reason to think we can't be SB competitors right now.

Smidgeon
02-19-2010, 11:52 AM

If this happened, I see no reason to think we can't be SB competitors right now.

Provided, of course, that the OLB he trades up to get pans out. Keep in mind there is no guarantee with draft picks. Otherwise Tom Brady wouldn't have lasted until round 6, Colston and Driver and Jones to round 7, etc.

LP
02-19-2010, 12:31 PM
Argue all you want, Ted will take the highest rated player on HIS board regardless of position. He's said before that "you can never have too many good football players". Trade up, down, or in circles, his approach doesn't change. Perceived value at the spot where you are picking.

Smidgeon
02-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Argue all you want, Ted will take the highest rated player on HIS board regardless of position. He's said before that "you can never have too many good football players". Trade up, down, or in circles, his approach doesn't change. Perceived value at the spot where you are picking.

I agree. I also prefer that he do this. Personally, I'll always wonder about Crabtree versus Raji, but I already think Crabtree would be too much of a headache. I think both will be special.

RashanGary
02-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Provided, of course, that the OLB he trades up to get pans out. Keep in mind there is no guarantee with draft picks. Otherwise Tom Brady wouldn't have lasted until round 6, Colston and Driver and Jones to round 7, etc.

Right, assuming we got a stud pass protector and a stud pass rusher that can also handle the other OLB responsibilities.

That's a lot to ask from one draft let alone two picks, but we're in the business of dreaming up ideal scenerios and this is one situation that I would consider ideal.

Smidgeon
02-19-2010, 12:59 PM

Right, assuming we got a stud pass protector and a stud pass rusher that can also handle the other OLB responsibilities.

That's a lot to ask from one draft let alone two picks, but we're in the business of dreaming up ideal scenerios and this is one situation that I would consider ideal.

Me too.

rbaloha1
02-19-2010, 01:08 PM

Mays had an excellent junior year -- probably a top 10 pick. Injuries limited his play during senior year.

Caper's scheme can mask potential coverage problems. Again I see Atwater not Roy Williams. Adds nastiness to the defense.

Brandon494
02-19-2010, 02:26 PM

Graham isnt going to fail to the 2nd round but there are 5 OT that are rated as 1st rounders and I think we will select Bruce Campbell.

Smidgeon
02-19-2010, 02:32 PM

Graham isnt going to fail to the 2nd round but there are 5 OT that are rated as 1st rounders and I think we will select Bruce Campbell.

I've seen many different rankings for the OTs (and I heard four in the top tier, not 5). How do you rank them, and who do you consider the fifth?

b bulldog
02-19-2010, 07:19 PM
I have seen some boards having him lasting until the bills 2nd round pick

Brandon494
02-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Graham is the top rated OLB, those draft boards are dead off.

Brandon494
02-20-2010, 10:06 AM

I've seen many different rankings for the OTs (and I heard four in the top tier, not 5). How do you rank them, and who do you consider the fifth?

IMO these 6 tackles are first round talent and I could see us taking Bulaga, Campbell or Brown with the 23rd pick.

1 Anthony Davis JR 6-6/325/- Rutgers
2 Russell Okung SR 6-5/300/- Oklahoma State
3 Trent Williams SR 6-5/290/- Oklahoma
4 Bryan Bulaga JR 6-6/290/- Iowa
5 Bruce Campbell JR 6-7/310/- Maryland
6 Charles Brown SR 6-6/295/- USC

b bulldog
02-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Anyone who thinks they can call the draft is full of BS. The OLB from TCU and UT in some eyes are better prospects than Graham.

Brandon494
02-20-2010, 03:11 PM
Anyone who thinks they can call the draft is full of BS. The OLB from TCU and UT in some eyes are better prospects than Graham.

Maybe so but Graham still isnt falling out of the 1st round.

TennesseePackerBacker
02-20-2010, 06:51 PM
I'd be thrilled to see Campbell or Bulaga fall to the Pack at #23. It's becoming increasingly obvious that Spiller wont be around for our pick and Jahvid Best might as well be made of glass. It doesn't look like we'll get our game-changer this year...atleast not one that carries the ball.

Fritz
02-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Kiper is notoriously lousy at mocking the draft. His mocks are a mockery.

But it's all for fun anyway, right? Do you guys think any GM - outside ol' Matt Millen - would set his draft board based on Mel Kiper's opinion?

Maxie the Taxi
02-21-2010, 08:27 PM

But it's all for fun anyway, right? Do you guys think any GM - outside ol' Matt Millen - would set his draft board based on Mel Kiper's opinion?

Amen.

Kiper is very over-rated. If he was such a hotshot, insider, analyst of talent, why didn't he have Brandon Graham going earlier in his first Mock Draft? Instead the kid vaults up his board on the basis of a single performance in the Senior Bowl.

In fact, a better question is: If Kiper is so familiar with college talent, why does he need to make more than one Mock Draft? He should get it right the first time.

Lurker64
02-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Kiper deserves credit, and attention for basically singlehandedly inventing the "draftnik" industry. Before him, there wasn't really anybody doing this sort of analysis of the draft So every time you read someone who's better informed more informative/entertaining than Kiper, that person has Kiper to thank for the fact that their job exists.

Maxie the Taxi
02-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Kiper deserves credit, and attention for basically singlehandedly inventing the "draftnik" industry. Before him, there wasn't really anybody doing this sort of analysis of the draft So every time you read someone who's better informed more informative/entertaining than Kiper, that person has Kiper to thank for the fact that their job exists.

Amen to this to. In my last post I didn't mean to disparage the guy's enthusiasm and flare for publicity.

Joemailman
02-23-2010, 11:27 AM

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/mockdraftscoring.shtml

Check the link above for a grading system on the various 1st round mock drafts. They give grades based yearly, and on a 3-year average. Kiper isn't the best, but he isn't bad. Bob McGinn was 2nd last year.

By the way Fritz, you may not have been the first to use the phrase Mocking The Draft. http://www.mockingthedraft.com/pages/mock-draft

Or is this your site? :D

Maxie the Taxi
02-23-2010, 12:34 PM

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/mockdraftscoring.shtml

Check the link above for a grading system on the various 1st round mock drafts. They give grades based yearly, and on a 3-year average. Kiper isn't the best, but he isn't bad. Bob McGinn was 2nd last year.

By the way Fritz, you may not have been the first to use the phrase Mocking The Draft. http://www.mockingthedraft.com/pages/mock-draft

Or is this your site? :D

That's an interesting site. One I hadn't seen.

pbmax
02-23-2010, 01:24 PM
I think Joel Buschbaum was on the case before Mel, but in either case, both were working the same side of the street at the same time.

cheesner
02-23-2010, 02:16 PM
I think Joel Buschbaum was on the case before Mel, but in either case, both were working the same side of the street at the same time.There was him and several others. Mel is the only one, thought, to get on ESPN and popularize it.

Brandon494
02-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Mayock likes Campbell, Graham for Packers at No. 23
In a wide-ranging conference call with reporters today, I asked NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock for possibilities at two positions of need for the Packers with the No. 23 overall pick.

Obviously, this is just one attuned insider's subjective opinion, but Mayock generally is respected for his evaluations and information, so here are his answers:

Offensive tackle

* The first player is Bruce Campbell, the 6-foot-6, 312-pound offensive tackle from Maryland.

Mayock expects four offensive tackles to come off the board in the draft's first nine picks. After that, there are three tackles -- Campbell, Southern California's Charles Brown and Massachusetts' Vladimir Ducasse -- Mayock thinks are first- or second-round picks before there's "a drop-off."

"I think the logical guy for Green Bay that would probably be there is the Campbell kid from Maryland," Mayock said. "He's a junior that I thought should have stayed in school. I thought he really would have helped himself and been a potential high-level pick.

"The thing about him is he's a very good pass protector, and obviously, with the age in that (Packers) offensive line and a tremendous young quarterback, you've got to protect him. So, (Campbell)'s a guy that makes an awful lot of sense right there.

"He's not a great ... run blocker. He's not a drive blocker. He's not an aggressive kid. He's much better kick-sliding and protecting the quarterback, and actually, that's what Green Bay needs."

Mayock said he has Ducasse rated as a second-round pick and thinks he can play at right tackle. However, he said teams have him anywhere from the first to fourth rounds, depending on whether they think he's close to playing.

Outside linebacker

* The second player is Brandon Graham, a 6-foot-1, 263-pound outside linebacker from Michigan.

Though Graham is shorter than most players at the position and has very short arms (30 1/2 inches), Mayock likens him to Pittsburgh's LaMarr Woodley and said Graham has one of the best motors in the draft.

"He'll fit some teams and not others," Mayock said. "Brandon Graham could be at 23, and he's got a great motor, an ability to rush the quarterback, and he's very stout against the run.

"Teams are going to ding him a little bit again for his size and his arm length. But he passes all the smell test on tape. He played really well against (likely first-round pick) Bryan Bulaga from Iowa. He had a tremendous Senior Bowl week. So, for me, just as a player, he passes the smell test, and he might be sitting there at 23 for Green Bay."

Mayock estimated there are 15 to 18 college defensive ends who will play outside linebacker in the NFL and are worth taking in the first three rounds.

Quick hits

Some other notable opinions Mayock offered:

* This is probably the deepest draft he's seen at cornerback, safety and defensive tackle. Teams can get a quality player at those spots into the third and fourth rounds.

* On the other hand, it's a bad year for quarterbacks and interior offensive linemen. There is tremendous depth at other skill spots.

* The top five players on Mayock's board are:

1. Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
2. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
3. Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
4. Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
5. Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa

* Mayock said McCoy and Suh both are best suited to play the three-technique in a 4-3 defense. He rates McCoy ahead of Suh because McCoy is more disruptive in the pass game, but he regards both as Pro Bowl-potential defensive tackles.

* Mayock's top five cornerbacks are: Florida's Joe Haden, Boise State's Kyle Wilson, Rutgers' Devin McCourtey, Florida State's Patick Robinson and Southern Florida's Jerome Murphy. He has Oklahoma State's Perrish Cox rated as a second-round pick.

* Texas' Earl Thomas, not Tennessee's Eric Berry, is the top safety on Mayock's board, although Mayock acknowledged Berry probably will be selected first.

* One other safety note: on Florida State's Myron Rolle, the rap is tightness in the hips, athletic ability and speed speed. If Rolle runs a 4.5-range 40 at the combine and shows well in defensive-back drills, Mayock said, he could improve his stock to the third round.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com
http://twitter.com/tompelissero

3irty1
02-24-2010, 07:46 AM
I have a feeling the Bruce Campbell won't land anywhere close to 23. He could be Al Davis's pick or something. Physically the guy looks like a bigger version of Vernon Davis. An absolute specimen.

Bossman641
02-24-2010, 12:50 PM
Is anyone else surprised Mayock has Thomas rated higher than Berry? From what I've been reading it sounds like Berry is as close to a sure thing as this draft has.

Smidgeon
02-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Is anyone else surprised Mayock has Thomas rated higher than Berry? From what I've been reading it sounds like Berry is as close to a sure thing as this draft has.

Well, Mayock also has Suh rated behind McWhatHisName. I think what this is telling me is that there is no sure thing in any draft. Some players are as advertised, some aren't. The minute I get caught up in the idea of "sure fire", I'm wrong. Mayock could definitely be right. He could also definitely be wrong. It's part of the pre-draft hype that is all entertainment.

RashanGary
02-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Players I like that could be picked in our area:

Bryan Buluga
Mike Iupati
Ryan Matthews
Kyle Wilson

swede
02-24-2010, 03:40 PM

Bryan Buluga
Mike Iupati
Ryan Matthews
Kyle Wilson

I hadn't really heard about Kyle Wilson, so I did some poking around.

If you read some of the info further down on this link he got some nice compliments, and I doubt he'd make it past Detroit's 2nd pick.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=68129&draftyear=2010&genpos=CB

3irty1
02-24-2010, 03:50 PM

Bryan Buluga
Mike Iupati
Ryan Matthews
Kyle Wilson

I like Buluga and since our OL coaching seems to suck balls and nobody ever gets better, I like that he's pretty tech sound. I think I'd rather have Campbell based on pure upside but Buluga would be nice too.

Iupati will probably be gone. But he'd be pretty awesome in G&G. Should start for just about any team day 1 and still could be better. He might have the longest arms of all OL in the draft too.

Ryan Mathews is a pretty complete prospect but as a fan I don't get too excited about the idea of a first round RB. Even if they do work out against the odds, they have a short shelf life. I'd rather use a later round pick on a guy who'd compliment Grant better.

Kyle Wilson will play in the NFL but I doubt it will be for TT. He just doesn't fit the TT mold.