PDA

View Full Version : LT - Brian Westbrook Released

packerbacker1234
02-23-2010, 01:28 PM
I haven;t seen much talk about this: LT and Westbrook were released.

Any thoughts? Possible one or two year solid #2 for us?

Joemailman
02-23-2010, 01:34 PM
I doubt LT is looking to be a #2 guy in Green Bay.

That said, we have a Random Football Stuff Thread for news like this which is probably better than having a new thread every time a player is released. There will probably be a lot of 'em.

RashanGary
02-23-2010, 01:50 PM
These are two former big-time players. I can see a new thread.

Brandon494
02-23-2010, 02:19 PM
I would take either one of these guys if they didn't mind being the 3rd down back but I doubt either has interest in joining the Packers. Maybe Westbrook more so over LT.

Tony Oday
02-23-2010, 03:08 PM
LT said he wants a Super Bowl...who does that leave that needs a RB...Pack and NE? I think he would be GREAT here as a 1 2 punch with Grant.

red
02-23-2010, 03:09 PM
both of these guys might be done, look at what happened to shaun alexander

these two might not even get any offers. westbrook has concussion issues, among other numerous injuries. and LT averaged just 3.3 yards a game last year, a huge red flag that the tank is probably empty

Joemailman
02-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Westbrook may well be done. Even before the concussion problems this year, he had been experiencing injury problems for a couple of years before that.

LT may be slightly different. He averaged only 3.3 YPC this year, but that was also the team average so they may have some OL issues there. LT has been a very good pass receiver in the past, so he would have some value as a 3rd down back. The question is whether he would be willing to accept a backup role so he could play for a Super Bowl contender.

Maxie the Taxi
02-23-2010, 04:55 PM
This releasing of LT and Westbrook only goes to show ya how brutal life is like in the NFL.

sheepshead
02-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Sports radio here in Chicago were speculating he would end up at 1265. Grass, Good QB, and a chance to win a Lombardi.

Maxie the Taxi
02-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Sports radio here in Chicago were speculating he would end up at 1265. Grass, Good QB, and a chance to win a Lombardi.

1265? Is that code for the Bears?

Maxie the Taxi
02-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Oh, wait. I betcha it's 1265 Lombardi Ave. Shit. No way. We've got Ryan Grant.

sheepshead
02-23-2010, 05:32 PM
It was just guys talking but they said they read 3 teams. Pack, Denver and Philly have the most interest and he thought LT would end up with the Pack. Just sayin'.

Joemailman
02-23-2010, 06:19 PM
This releasing of LT and Westbrook only goes to show ya how brutal life is like in the NFL.

No kidding. As recently as 2007, Westbrook was probably the best overall RB in the league with over 2100 yards from scrimmage. Now he's maybe hoping to latch on somewhere as a 3rd down back.

Brandon494
02-23-2010, 06:31 PM
both of these guys might be done, look at what happened to shaun alexander

these two might not even get any offers. westbrook has concussion issues, among other numerous injuries. and LT averaged just 3.3 yards a game last year, a huge red flag that the tank is probably empty

They will get offers, they are totally different running backs then Shaun Alexander. Alexander had horrible hands and could not be a 3rd down back, Westbrook and LT have the best hands of any RB in the league. Neither are starting material anymore but will land on somewhere.

RashanGary
02-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Chester Taylor wasn't as good in his prime, but is aging well. He's as good as either of these two as a pass catcher and blocker and is also a solid runner. It's a good year if you want a veteran backup RB.

I know the odds are probably slim that we go RB, but there is a superstar out there that could fall to us at 24. Ryan Matthews from Fresno State. He's fast, a strong runner, breaks tackles, good size, very good pass catcher, very good pass protector, very hard worker. I know the draft is a crapshoot, but I feel very confident that Matthews will be a probowler.

It's one of those things, you want an OL, pass rusher or secondary player but when you end up with a dud at a position of need, you end up looking back and saying, "man, we could have one of the best RB's in the NFL had we just drafted this guy instead of that guy".

Not saying we should take him over a star at another position, but I think he's a great player. You'd have to consider him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsiEY7ilKcU

Maybe not quite as fast as AP, but darn close and more complete. This guy is going to be good.

Brandon494
02-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Chester Taylor wasn't as good in his prime, but is aging well. He's as good as either of these two as a pass catcher and blocker and is also a solid runner. It's a good year if you want a veteran backup RB.

I know the odds are probably slim that we go RB, but there is a superstar out there that could fall to us at 24. Ryan Matthews from Fresno State. He's fast, a strong runner, breaks tackles, good size, very good pass catcher, very good pass protector, very hard worker. I know the draft is a crapshoot, but I feel very confident that Matthews will be a probowler.

It's one of those things, you want an OL, pass rusher or secondary player but when you end up with a dud at a position of need, you end up looking back and saying, "man, we could have one of the best RB's in the NFL had we just drafted this guy instead of that guy".

Not saying we should take him over a star at another position, but I think he's a great player. You'd have to consider him.

I like Ryan Matthews a lot but don't know about using our 1st round pick on a RB unless its C.J. Also you said he was a very good pass catcher but he only had 19 career catches and was often taken out of the game on passing downs. Also read he didn't do too much blocking college and does not hold a block well. Other than that this guy will prob have a rookie season similiar to Forte's rookie season for the Bears.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/1/31/1284818/ryan-matthews-nfl-draft-scouting- Here is where I found the info on him if you want to check out his scouting report.

ND72
02-23-2010, 09:55 PM
John Clayton made mention of don't be surprised if LT ends up in Green Bay. He also mentioned don't be surprised if Rolle from the Cards ends up in Green Bay either. Both of them think very highly of Aaron Rodgers, and he mentioned that Rolle said he never wants to have to play against Rodgers ever again.

John Clayton seems to be pretty close on some of these thoughts.

pbmax
02-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Grass might help Westbrook's legs and his head, but it will not make either faster. And breakaway speed is the thing Grant is missing.

Westbrook could catch the ball far better (probably LT too) than Grant, but I am not sure that would be enough.

Bossman641
02-23-2010, 11:59 PM
I'd look into Westbrook as a 3rd down back. No thanks to LT though. He's done.

packerbacker1234
02-24-2010, 12:24 AM

LT is done? He still showed some flashes last year. Defenses still were putting 8 and 9 in the box at times to stop him. Sproles didn't do much better, which again can point to OL issues. Last year was his first without 1,000 yards, and thats only because he did the smart thing and rested his injuries, isntead of playing through them like he always has. If anything, LT has the most left.

Westbrook has never played a complete 16 game season, as he gets hurt every year. Last year he played 8 games, and didn't even get over 300 yards. He has had two 1,000 yard rushing seasons, and both came in the 4 year stretch he had... that ended 3 seasons ago... where he was really putting up big passing numbers.

As of late, LT has been just as effective as Westbrook in the passing game averaging around 8 yards per catch. He also ran home 12 TD's last year, to westbrooks 1. Last year was only LT's 2nd season in his career he did not start a full season. The other? 2004. Westbrook is done, if you ask me. He is hurt every year, is never reliable, and miss half of last season, his worst injury yet. LT, meanwhile, played it safe last season to preserve his body with his injury, and was still, generally, effective. His carries were serverly cut, which lead, most likely, to his fall in production. He has always been an elusive power back, that got better the more you ran him. This season, he only ran the ball 50% of the time the chargers did run it, and still put up almost 800 yards and 12 td's. he also had the longest run of the year on the team, a 36 yarder.

LT has more left, and is way less prone to injury and thus more reliable, than westbrook. Meanwhile, westbrook is coming off his 8th straight season of being injured, with this season being his most serious injury ever.

Not sure how anyone wants Westbrook over LT. The only reason can be speed, but I treat him like Will Blackmon. Great at what he does, 100% unreliable to be around. LT still has something left as #2 and a third down back. Westbrook will be lucky if he has 2 or 3 games left before he goes down again. That is, if he can even really recover from his injury.

I go like this: If Grant has to miss a game who do I trust more - LT or Westbrook at this point in their careers? Have to go with LT. Chances are Westbrook is already on IR.

packrulz
02-24-2010, 05:38 AM
I think LT is worth a look, the NFL is being cautious now with concussions, so Westbrook is prone to them. TT might consider it since he'll only cost cash and no draft picks, the Packers got cash.

Bossman641
02-24-2010, 06:55 AM

LT is done? He still showed some flashes last year. Defenses still were putting 8 and 9 in the box at times to stop him. Sproles didn't do much better, which again can point to OL issues. Last year was his first without 1,000 yards, and thats only because he did the smart thing and rested his injuries, isntead of playing through them like he always has. If anything, LT has the most left.

Westbrook has never played a complete 16 game season, as he gets hurt every year. Last year he played 8 games, and didn't even get over 300 yards. He has had two 1,000 yard rushing seasons, and both came in the 4 year stretch he had... that ended 3 seasons ago... where he was really putting up big passing numbers.

As of late, LT has been just as effective as Westbrook in the passing game averaging around 8 yards per catch. He also ran home 12 TD's last year, to westbrooks 1. Last year was only LT's 2nd season in his career he did not start a full season. The other? 2004. Westbrook is done, if you ask me. He is hurt every year, is never reliable, and miss half of last season, his worst injury yet. LT, meanwhile, played it safe last season to preserve his body with his injury, and was still, generally, effective. His carries were serverly cut, which lead, most likely, to his fall in production. He has always been an elusive power back, that got better the more you ran him. This season, he only ran the ball 50% of the time the chargers did run it, and still put up almost 800 yards and 12 td's. he also had the longest run of the year on the team, a 36 yarder.

LT has more left, and is way less prone to injury and thus more reliable, than westbrook. Meanwhile, westbrook is coming off his 8th straight season of being injured, with this season being his most serious injury ever.

Not sure how anyone wants Westbrook over LT. The only reason can be speed, but I treat him like Will Blackmon. Great at what he does, 100% unreliable to be around. LT still has something left as #2 and a third down back. Westbrook will be lucky if he has 2 or 3 games left before he goes down again. That is, if he can even really recover from his injury.

I go like this: If Grant has to miss a game who do I trust more - LT or Westbrook at this point in their careers? Have to go with LT. Chances are Westbrook is already on IR.

LT has also averaged 3.6 and 3.3 ypc over the past 2 seasons. He also still thinks that he is a #1 back and should be paid as such. I have a hard time imagining he would be happy comin to GB to be a backup.

Westbrook's injuries certainly scare me, and I don't know how he would feel about accepting a backup role, but his skillset better fits what this offense is missing.

3irty1
02-24-2010, 07:21 AM
Either one would be a great signing and just what this team needs. I think I'd prefer Westbrook slightly as his injuries are usually the result of touching the ball on every single snap over the course of a 16 game season. Splitting the load with Grant will keep him fresh. LT should at least be able to be this seasons Ahman Green but LT is much less removed from being an elite back.

pbmax
02-24-2010, 08:06 AM

Given San Diego's passing attack, there is no way LT or Sproles faced 8 or nine in a box except in short yardage. Rivers and his receivers were what made that offense go, and people were scared to death of Vincent Jackson and Gates, not LT.

ND72
02-24-2010, 08:55 AM
The one thing about LT is the fact he has never liked Norv Turner since he got there. LT's numbers have gone down almost every year since Turner's start in SD. I think a new start somewhere could be exactly what LT needs. I don't think he's done at all. One good point I remember hearing on NFL Live during the season was that SD's O-Line is built to pass protect, exactly what Turner wants, and are not a good run blocking OL. Something to consider as well.

pbmax
02-24-2010, 11:42 AM
The one thing about LT is the fact he has never liked Norv Turner since he got there. LT's numbers have gone down almost every year since Turner's start in SD. I think a new start somewhere could be exactly what LT needs. I don't think he's done at all. One good point I remember hearing on NFL Live during the season was that SD's O-Line is built to pass protect, exactly what Turner wants, and are not a good run blocking OL. Something to consider as well.
An odd thing to be sure, as Turner has always liked running the ball despite his rep as Mr. Passing Coordinator.

mission
02-24-2010, 11:46 AM

This is my take on it also, ND.

Guys leave a team and want nothing more than to show their old team they can do it. They work harder in the offseason, they're more excited to be around new guys, etc, etc... Now that's not to say this is always going to happen and guys never get old. Just seems like it could be the case here (with all the sproles stuff also)

Obviously it begs one to question a guy's integrity at that point, but I like the whole FSS (fresh start syndrome), as evidenced by my support for non-"Packer People" :P