PDA

View Full Version : Packers tag Pickett

Brando19
02-23-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm a HUGE fan of Ryan Pickett...looks like he'll be around at least another year if they can't work out a long term deal within a few days.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/23/packers-expected-to-tag-pickett/

Lurker64
02-23-2010, 08:07 PM
We'd better hope there's no CBA extension at the last minute, since if there was we'd need that tag for Collins.

RashanGary
02-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Good move. Pickett seems like one of those big space eaters that could last well into his mid to late 30's. Then there's the uncertainty of Jolly. Have to keep him around. I'd like to keep both Jolly and Pickett long term, but we'll see how long Jolly is suspended and if he can get his shit cleaned up.

Brandon494
02-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Must keep Picket, he was a huge part of the improvement on defense.

KYPack
02-23-2010, 09:53 PM
A whole herd of NT's are expected to get the tag thoughtout the league in the next few days. Teams want to hang on to their space eaters.

pbmax
02-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Good point about Collins, but I bet there would be a window to redo him is the other tag option falls through. That doesn't mean he is going to sign though. The longer this goes on, the more it seems there is little agreement on what to pay him.

Given the numbers thrown around in the Sign Nick Collins thread, I almost can't see Thompson signing off on that deal.

bobblehead
02-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Good point about Collins, but I bet there would be a window to redo him is the other tag option falls through. That doesn't mean he is going to sign though. The longer this goes on, the more it seems there is little agreement on what to pay him.

Given the numbers thrown around in the Sign Nick Collins thread, I almost can't see Thompson signing off on that deal.

NO deal is going to get done. The Jerry Jones of the league are trying to buy an advantage and they won't give in easy.

Brandon494
02-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Packers tag Ryan Pickett
It's official -- the Packers have placed the franchise tag on nose tackle Ryan Pickett.

“Ryan has been a good teammate and productive player for us on the field and also a good representative of the Packers in the community,” General Manager Ted Thompson said in a statement moments ago. “We look forward to having him be a part of our future.”

A former first-round draft pick of St. Louis who joined the Packers in 2006, Pickett is entering his 10th NFL season. He could have become an unrestricted free agent on March 5.

Though the Packers didn't announce it, they surely applied the non-exclusive franchise tag, which means Pickett still could agree to an offer sheet with another team. However, any new team would have to give up two first-round draft picks as compensation, and no one's going to pay that price for a 30-year-old player who's never made a Pro Bowl.

The Packers have been talking with Pickett's agent about a new, multi-year contract since last season. If Pickett signs the franchise tender and a new deal isn't worked out before the season, he would make $7.003 million in 2010.

Pickett played in 13 games last season, missing three down the stretch because of injury, and finished with 47 tackles (25 solo) for the NFL's No. 1-ranked run defense.

Pickett joins a list of defensive linemen who have been franchised in recent days -- Vince Wilfork (New England), Aubrayo Franklin (San Francisco) and Richard Seymour (Oakland). Like Pickett, Wilfork and Franklin are nose tackles in 3-4 defenses, and Pittsburgh widely is expected to franchise its nose tackle, Casey Hampton, as well.

The deadline for applying franchise and transition tags is Thursday.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com
http://twitter.com/tompelissero

pbmax
02-24-2010, 04:57 PM
You can edit the title, he got tagged today.

http://www.packers.com/news/releases/2010/02/24/2/

EDIT: Wow, I was 29 minutes late. Sorry for the double effort.

gbgary
02-24-2010, 07:10 PM
We'd better hope there's no CBA extension at the last minute, since if there was we'd need that tag for Collins.

maybe they've done this with pickett because they're close to a collins deal. no?

CaptainKickass
02-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Does anyone else have the "deja-vu" feeling that Pickett being franchised may be a precursor to him being traded?

If memory serves me correctly, the last time the Pack franchised a DT was Corey Williams. He was promptly traded to the Browns.

Smidgeon
02-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Does anyone else have the "deja-vu" feeling that Pickett being franchised may be a precursor to him being traded?

If memory serves me correctly, the last time the Pack franchised a DT was Corey Williams. He was promptly traded to the Browns.

I doubt strongly Pickett will be traded. Proven NTs are difficult to find. Plus, while Raji will man the position down the road, this frees him up to move around the line and wreak pass-rushing havoc from multiple positions. I think it's just a business decision that allows GB to keep Pickett's service while a long term deal is worked out.

get louder at lambeau
02-25-2010, 02:52 PM

I doubt strongly Pickett will be traded. Proven NTs are difficult to find. Plus, while Raji will man the position down the road, this frees him up to move around the line and wreak pass-rushing havoc from multiple positions. I think it's just a business decision that allows GB to keep Pickett's service while a long term deal is worked out.

I doubt it too, but with NTs being so scarce right now, maybe someone will make Ted an offer he can't refuse. What would it take to convince you to trade him?

Smidgeon
02-25-2010, 02:59 PM

I doubt it too, but with NTs being so scarce right now, maybe someone will make Ted an offer he can't refuse. What would it take to convince you to trade him?

Hmm. Good question. If I were GM, considering both the scarcity of good NTs and the fact that GB has a viable backup NT on the roster with Raji, I'd trade him for a 1st in the top 20 picks this year or top 15 next year (due to the projected disparity of draft depth).

Too low a price or too high?

get louder at lambeau
02-25-2010, 03:26 PM

Hmm. Good question. If I were GM, considering both the scarcity of good NTs and the fact that GB has a viable backup NT on the roster with Raji, I'd trade him for a 1st in the top 20 picks this year or top 15 next year (due to the projected disparity of draft depth).

Probably too high? He'll be turning 31 around the start of this season, and is currently headed toward a one year $7 mil contract. Maybe a 2nd?

Smidgeon
02-25-2010, 03:33 PM

Probably too high? He'll be turning 31 around the start of this season, and is currently headed toward a one year $7 mil contract. Maybe a 2nd?

Well, the reason I went that high is the obvious demand for NTs. Half the players who have received a franchise tag this offseason are NTs in a 3-4. I think the GMs on those teams know how hard it is to find an effective NT and don't want to risk losing one of those players even for a 1st and 3rd. I could be wrong, but that's how I read that part.

Also, regarding his age, D-Line seems to be one of the places players can be effective well into their late 30s. They can lose a step and still be quite effective. So while 30+ is a death sentence for many other positions, I think Pickett would still be valued above a round 2. Especially since Corey Williams went for a 2, and Pickett is far more valuable than that.

I would even argue (although on more shaky ground) that Pickett is more valuable than the round 2 pick from Javon Walker. Walker was one of 2 starting WRs, while advocates of the 3-4 say the most crucial piece is an effective NT.

get louder at lambeau
02-25-2010, 03:47 PM

Well, the reason I went that high is the obvious demand for NTs. Half the players who have received a franchise tag this offseason are NTs in a 3-4. I think the GMs on those teams know how hard it is to find an effective NT and don't want to risk losing one of those players even for a 1st and 3rd. I could be wrong, but that's how I read that part.

Also, regarding his age, D-Line seems to be one of the places players can be effective well into their late 30s. They can lose a step and still be quite effective. So while 30+ is a death sentence for many other positions, I think Pickett would still be valued above a round 2. Especially since Corey Williams went for a 2, and Pickett is far more valuable than that.

I would even argue (although on more shaky ground) that Pickett is more valuable than the round 2 pick from Javon Walker. Walker was one of 2 starting WRs, while advocates of the 3-4 say the most crucial piece is an effective NT.

I juts don't think you'll find anyone who would give up a first. If someone offered up a mid 2nd in this year's draft, I think I'd be pretty tempted.

Smidgeon
02-25-2010, 04:15 PM

I juts don't think you'll find anyone who would give up a first. If someone offered up a mid 2nd in this year's draft, I think I'd be pretty tempted.

I agree that I don't think anyone would give up a 1st. If Buffalo was picking lower, they might. But I think taking a 2 would be short-selling just how valuable he is. Plus, I think having both Pickett and Raji makes the team better.

get louder at lambeau
02-25-2010, 04:42 PM

I agree that I don't think anyone would give up a 1st. If Buffalo was picking lower, they might. But I think taking a 2 would be short-selling just how valuable he is. Plus, I think having both Pickett and Raji makes the team better.

I'm not sure if I'd do it or not, but I'd be pretty tempted. I probably would. Pickett is going to be really expensive to keep for any period of time now that he's franchised, and may not be all that much better than Raji. I'd love to have them both, but I'd also love to have another 2nd rounder to use on a T, CB, or OLB.

Administrator
02-25-2010, 04:48 PM
I don't think Pickett is available. If his demands are too high, he'll play on the tender, if he wants a fair deal, he'll probably get it.

Face it, Raji has a ways to go and is the future at the position, but, right now, Pickett is better and a good value at the $7million a year.

Trade would really shock me, because I don't think Raji is ready yet.

Smidgeon
02-25-2010, 04:51 PM
I agree that Raji isn't ready as a NT yet.

A while back I read a pretty good blog post (I think it was by Waldo--anyone correct me if I'm wrong) about Raji's strengths and what an ideal use for him would be. Using him as an NT occasionally is good, but having him in the nickel sub-packages is a far better use of his talents.

pbmax
02-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Slightly more guaranteed money for Casey Hampton than PFT had yesterday.

Hampton’s deal, according to former Packers vice president Andrew Brandt of www.NationalFootballPost.com, includes guaranteed money of $15.4 million.

pbmax
02-27-2010, 11:33 PM
Okay, the Green Bay Press Gazette reporter clearly has become tired from Combine coverage. Hampton did not get $15.4 mil guaranteed, it was $11 million.

Andrew Brandt sees this as a win for the Steelers and the teams with franchised NTs. For the Steelers, they guarantee less money than Hampton would have gotten from back to back Franchise tenders, then for another non-guaranteed $7 million, they get a third year. As he says, it puts a whole new and more current data point on the map to counter the Haynesworth contract.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Hampton-deal-is-a-win-for-the-Steelers.html

justanotherpackfan
03-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Just something worth noting.

Pats DT Vince Wilfork reaches agreement with NE on five-year, $40 million deal that includes $18 million signing bonus, $25 milion gtd.

gbgary
03-12-2010, 10:28 PM

maybe they've done this with pickett because they're close to a collins deal. no?

both done...wow!!