PDA

View Full Version : Bears may go after Peppers or Kampman

digitaldean
02-23-2010, 08:30 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/23/report-bears-looking-to-pick-up-peppers/

According to PFT.com and NFL.com, Bears are looking to throw some cash at Julius Peppers and Kampman is also on their short list.

Wouldn't shock me for Kampy to go to Chi-town. He's a fish out of water in the 3-4.

Peppers has a lot left in the tank and would be a huge boost to anybody.

RashanGary
02-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Kamp would be a good fit with the Bears if he's back to 90% or better. He has three good years left in him, assuming health.

Brandon494
02-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Still think Kampman will be a Packer next season even though I don't agree with it. I also don't see Peppers going to the Bears, didn't he say he would rather play for a 3-4 team? Could see him signing with the Bills possibly since they just moved to the 3-4 defense and need playmakers.

Brando19
02-23-2010, 08:55 PM
I posted this already in the random football thread.

rbaloha1
02-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Kampman to da Bears is a scary thought -- another pissed off Packer.

packrulz
02-24-2010, 06:16 AM
Mike Vandermause column: Green Bay Packers would be foolish to let Aaron Kampman go

February 23, 2010

If you believe the pundits, Aaron Kampman’s career with the Green Bay Packers is finished.
He is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next week. He’s coming off a major knee injury. He’s supposedly not a good fit for the Packers’ 3-4 defense.

If you try hard enough, you can come up with plenty of reasons why Kampman will likely find a new employer after spending eight years in Green Bay. But there are just as many factors, maybe more, why the Packers should keep him, and why it would be a big mistake to let Kampman get away without a fight.

Like most NFL teams, the Packers are desperate for a pass rusher. In particular they need someone solid at left outside linebacker to complement Clay Matthews, who as a rookie last season produced a team-high 10 sacks.

The Packers can scour the free-agent market and sift through this year’s draft class and never find anyone as good as Kampman to fill that pressing need.

Too much has been made of Kampman being miscast as a 3-4 outside linebacker last season after he played as a 4-3 defensive end for seven years.

No, Kampman didn’t dance down Lombardi Avenue with glee when the Packers changed their defensive scheme a year ago, and naturally there were growing pains during the transition. But one important point that tends to get overlooked is Kampman was improving in his new role before suffering a season-ending anterior cruciate knee ligament injury in November.

Kampman wasn’t an instant impact player in the 4-3 defense either but given time, he developed into a Pro Bowl-caliber defensive end. Based on his track record, dedication, work ethic and will to succeed, there is no doubt he could flourish in the 3-4.

Even though he played in only nine games in the 3-4 defense, Kampman finished second on the team with 28 quarterback hits.

Many questions linger about a 30-year-old coming off knee surgery, but if anyone possesses the determination to bounce back, it’s Kampman. He’s as close as it gets to a guaranteed investment.

General Manager Ted Thompson said last month he planned to extend a contract offer to Kampman. Thompson would be wise to put those words into action, open the team checkbook and let Kampman know how highly he is regarded. Beyond his physical skills, it’s hard to put a price tag on Kampman’s locker room presence and leadership.

The knee injury will scare away some free-agent shoppers and decrease Kampman’s value on the open market. But that presumably means the Packers won’t have to break the bank to keep him.

Kampman said in January he was “hopeful” of re-signing with the Packers, which tells me a generous offer might convince him to stay.

If the Packers are serious about making a Super Bowl run, one weakness they must address is their pass defense. The best way to shore that up is by increasing pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

Kampman is the most obvious solution to that problem. Despite what the pundits say, he would look very good in a Packers uniform this season and for years to come.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

sheepshead
02-24-2010, 07:35 AM

We're happy for ya.

3irty1
02-24-2010, 07:56 AM
I've got a bad feeling about Kampman's future. He seemed to have lost it by the end of the 2008 season. Now with a disappointing 2009 season and a knee injury you've got to wonder if he's totally burnt out. I don't want to bet against him because he's one of the finest Packers to ever wear the uniform but I couldn't blame Ted for letting him walk.

SkinBasket
02-24-2010, 09:07 AM
I've got a bad feeling about Kampman's future. He seemed to have lost it by the end of the 2008 season. Now with a disappointing 2009 season and a knee injury you've got to wonder if he's totally burnt out. I don't want to bet against him because he's one of the finest Packers to ever wear the uniform but I couldn't blame Ted for letting him walk.

I don't think he's one of the finest, but otherwise I agree. I say if he won't sign a 1 year deal for modest money, then seeing him, even if he's just as good as he was before the injury and scheme switch, playing elsewhere isn't going to make my vagina itch.

Brando19
02-24-2010, 11:46 AM

We're happy for ya.

Thanks...now post another youtube video.

Freak Out
02-24-2010, 12:00 PM

We're happy for ya.

How nice....sweet fantasy football memories. :hug:

bobblehead
02-24-2010, 12:33 PM

I don't think he's one of the finest, but otherwise I agree. I say if he won't sign a 1 year deal for modest money, then seeing him, even if he's just as good as he was before the injury and scheme switch, playing elsewhere isn't going to make my vagina itch.

28 QB hits in 9 games as a "fish out of water"

Yea, put a fork in the guy.

Harlan Huckleby
02-24-2010, 01:26 PM

what does Kampman have to be pissed off about?

denverYooper
02-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Jeez, the Bears are like the Redskins of the Midwest.

HarveyWallbangers
02-24-2010, 03:41 PM

what does Kampman have to be pissed off about?

And it's not that scary. The Bears are diseased.

red
02-24-2010, 04:47 PM
can the bears sign both peppers and kampman?

now that's scary

peppers is going to break the bank, but AK might not cost that much with the busted knee and all

packrulz
02-24-2010, 05:18 PM
I vote the Packers keep Kampman, he only got to play 9 games at a new position so I'd like to see him play opposite Matthews some more. Sure, he wasn't that happy about it but he wasn't complaining either.

Brando19
02-24-2010, 05:36 PM

We're happy for ya.

How nice....sweet fantasy football memories. :hug:

Hope we're in the same division again next year so I can bust both you bitches right in the mouth...again....homo. By the way...How ya been, old friend!?? :lol:

pbmax
02-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Casey Hampton signs with the Steelers. 3 years, $21 million are the initial numbers with $11 million said to be guaranteed.

That is probably the agent speaking so before anyone breaks into a cold sweat about Pickett (or Kampman), just wait for the details.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4945170

SkinBasket
02-27-2010, 07:53 AM

28 QB hits in 9 games as a "fish out of water"

Yea, put a fork in the guy.

If that's his best stat from last season - getting to the QB a step too late, then yes, fish out of water or fork metaphors seem appropriate. You seem to be forgetting his forgettable "coverage" skills as well.

Not saying he can't come back from his injury, but really? QB hits?

LP
02-27-2010, 08:31 AM
If that's his best stat from last season - getting to the QB a step too late, then yes, fish out of water or fork metaphors seem appropriate. You seem to be forgetting his forgettable "coverage" skills as well.

Don't forget what those kind of hits did to a certain quarterback, who shall remain nameless, in the NFC Championship game.

Pugger
02-27-2010, 08:33 AM
Besides Woodson and CM3 who else besides Kampman hit the QB last season? And how many teams are gonna offer AK big dollars for a guy on the wrong side of 30 coming off a major knee injury?

Maxie the Taxi
02-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Kampman remains one of my favorite Packers.

However, football is a business. You've got to improve.

Compare Kampman and his expected production over "x" years per dollar spent with a guy like Sergio Kindle's expected production over "x" years per dollar spent.

Without doing the math, I know right now I'd rather have Kindle than Kampy. That's not to say that we couldn't have both.

Brando19
02-27-2010, 09:45 AM

Don't forget what those kind of hits did to a certain quarterback, who shall remain nameless, in the NFC Championship game.

Not to mention...what those kind of hits did to Favre FROM Peppers in their matchup when Chilly wanted to pull Favre.

Fred's Slacks
02-27-2010, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't under estimate the importance of QB hits. They lead to late game INTs and game sealers.

That said, I have a hard time justifying giving AK a lucrative long term contract. Not only does OLB seem like a poor fit, but he's > 30 and coming off of knee surgury. You typically don't have the same expolsion coming off of this surgury till at least a year after your rehab is complete.

Weighing that with his intagibles (leadership, work ethic, attitude, community involvement - all top notch) makes this a very tough decision. Wish we could have seen what he could do the second half of the season.