PDA

View Full Version : OLD SCHOOL Packer Mock Draft 2010

Maxie the Taxi
02-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Here at the OLD SCHOOL we approach the NFL draft a little different than most.

First of all, we don’t give a crap about the Combine. We watch games and we watch film. We don’t care who’s the biggest, fastest and strongest athlete. We don’t waste our time collecting statistics. Let the prima donnas have their fun running through hoops and around pylons. We measure heart and football savvy. It’s all that matters in the OLD SCHOOL draft book.

The guys we draft are true players, the ones who seem to be all over the field, in the right place at the right time. The hard-hitters. The guys who make plays. The guys who won’t quit, who never say “die,” and who got there on hard work and high energy motors.

Yes, here at the OLD SCHOOL we also buck convention and political correctness. We could care less what the “experts” say. We draft by feel, by instinct, just like our players play. We don’t draft by “need” or by “the best player available,” or by trying to guess what “geniuses” like Ted Thompson might do, or what tub of lards like McStubby might want Thompson to do. NO! We draft who we want, no holds barred and no questions asked.

So hold on to your seats…

First Round, Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida (This kid is just a winner, that's all. He’s smart. He works his tail off, he’d run through a brick wall for you and, when he finds out what LT’s get paid, he’ll probably be anxious to switch positions. But, hell, even if he doesn’t, he’s 21 years old and will make the Packers O-Line strong up the middle for a decade to come. Let Jason Spitz find another position if and when he gets healthy. I always liked Spitz at guard anyway. Hmm…Maurkice Pouncey: ”Perennial All-Pro.” Kind of has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it? His TWIN brother is available to draft next year and is just as good. So Maurkice could be kind of like a trial run. You like one, you draft his brother next year. And if you need one more reason to draft him, how about this: if we don’t take him the Vikings will.)

Scouting Report: http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/2010-Big-Board/Maurkice-Pouncey*.html

Scouting Report (2): http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/maurkice-pouncey?id=497042#tabs:tab-analysis

Film: On a Center? You’ve got to be joking.

Second Round: Jordan Shipley, WR, Texas (He’s the son of a football coach, but don’t hold that against him. He’s a big play guy. He likes to travel across the middle and run with the ball after he catches it. Fearless. He’s not afraid to take a hit or dish one out. He reminds me a lot of Wes Welker and that ain’t bad. Plus, he can return punts. I’ve seen Texas play a lot and Shipley never quits. When the team needs a play, he’s there. He’s a first down machine. Need another reason to draft him? If we don’t, the Cowgirls will.)

Scouting Report: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jordan-shipley?id=497324#tabs:tab-analysis

Scouting Report (2): http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/2010-Big-Board/Jordan-Shipley.html

NOTES: 01.10.10 - Jordan Shipley will be the most under-rated player in the entire NFL draft next April. Some smart general manager should take the Texas wide receiver in the second or third round and get a tough, strong receiver who runs great routes, rarely drops passes, has speed and returns kicks. He’ll play 10 years in the NFL. Texas is really going to miss him. – The Statesman

Film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnhauBSSm58

Third Round: Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama (I’ve seen Alabama play a bunch too and Arenas is the spark that makes the defense go. He’s a good tackler and knows how to blitz. Very effective. He always knows where the ball is and would fit the Pack’s new ball hawking defense like a glove. He’s a surprisingly good cover guy too. Best at the Senior Bowl. I can see him as a nickel or dime DB, but where I really like him is at safety. He reminds me a little of Leroy Butler, and a lot of the Colts’ Bob Sanders. As an added bonus, he’s probably the best and most reliable punt return man in the country.)

Scouting Report: http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/2010-Big-Board/Javier-Arenas.html

Scouting Report (2): http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/javier-arenas?id=494249#tabs:tab-analysis

Film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaVyEqlMQdk&feature=PlayList&p=8B672970BB1FC613&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=19

NOTES: 01.31.10 - Javier Arenas (Alabama) – Many fans may want to throw their computer across the room on this one, because the last thing the Falcons need is another vertically challenged cornerback (Arenas is 5’9). But Arenas has proven that he can play with the best, is extremely talented and tough, great in run support and is an absolute sensation on special teams, as he proved in the Senior Bowl. – Atlanta Journal Constitution

01.29.10 - Some NFL scouts have told Arenas that his height is a concern — something the 5-foot-8 Arenas conceded he can’t do much to change. Instead, he compares himself to another small, physical cornerback — Antoine Winfield of the Minnesota Vikings. During the season, Arenas established himself as one of the top blitzing defenders in the SEC. He won’t have that opportunity during Saturday’s game because of anti-blitz rules in the Senior Bowl. Still, Arenas said that can work to his advantage. “Everyone knows I can blitz,” he said. “I want to prove myself from a coverage standpoint. That’s taken care of. I just want to show that I have the ability to cover in man and the ability to play zone.” – Decatur Daily

Fourth Round: Roddrick Muckelroy, OLB, Texas (Every time I watch Texas play, this guy is all over the field – one side to the other. He’s a leader and one hell of a sure tackler. He’s got a nose for the football. I’ve seen him destroy QB’s on the blitz too. He reminds me of Lee Roy Caffey from the old days. That right there is a good enough reason for OLD SCHOOL to draft him. I’m hoping he’s still available in the 4th. I hope he plays in as many championship games for the Pack as Caffey did.)

Scouting Report: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/roddrick-muckelroy?id=496945#tabs:tab-analysis

Scouting Report (2): http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/2010-Big-Board/Roddrick-Muckelroy.html

Film (short but sweet): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLXCoGLMbTc

Fifth Round: Austen Lane, DE, Murray State (This guy is a pass rusher! 53.5 tackles for loss and 29 sacks over his career. Yeah, I know I broke my own rules talking about stats. But how else am I gonna evaluate the guy? No film. I’ve never seen Murray State play. Ever. I guess he played in the Senior Bowl. I don’t remember him. But crap? 29 sacks! And look at his speed and size? How can you not take a flyer on his guy in the 5th round? That's another OLD SCHOOL rule: You definitely take flyers in the 5th round. Besides, the clincher is he’s from Lola, Wisconsin. A natural born Packer! Sign him up.)

Scouting Report: http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/2010-Big-Board/Austen-Lane.html

Scouting Report (for those who like to read): http://bleacherreport.com/articles/272406-austen-lane-is-on-the-right-road-to-nfl-stardom

Film: Sorry. Maybe someone out there has some film of his Iola-Sandinavia High School days when he was a 5’11” 150lb. scatback.

Sixth Round: Brandon West, RB, Western Michigan (This guy is a keeper and the steal of the draft!!!! Simply put, the most under-rated football player in the country. If you don’t believe me, look at the film at the link below. AWESOME!! I get the same tingly feeling watching his film as I got a couple of years ago watching Greg Jennings' film. Watch the kid cut on a dime going full speed. Hard to tackle, heh? Catches the ball as good or better than any current RB on the Packer squad. And has speed to burn. Is quick to turn upfield and can turn the corner as well. Did I mention he’s a dynamite kick return guy? This is a no brainer in the OLD SCHOOL draft book.)

Scouting Report: http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/2010-Big-Board/Brandon-West.html

Film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1O5DGSKs40

Seventh Round: Trindon Holliday, WR, RB, KR, PR, LSU (Why not? Think he’ll still be around in the 7th round? The guy’s a playmaker, plain and simple. A tough little shit too. Let’s give the Queens something to think about next year. Draft the world's fastest human who plays football. Just go to You Tube and search. There’s snippets of film on the guy. His 98 yard kick return for a TD goes by in less then 10 seconds. He makes returning kicks for TD's routine. Great hands as well. Plus, we need a guy on Special Teams that can run Percy Harvin down from behind! And remember how Devin Hester used to scare the pants off us when he’d go back to field a punt or a kick? Let’s return the favor, boys. Case closed!

Scouting Report: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/trindon-holliday?id=497218#tabs:tab-analysis

Scouting Report (2): http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Players/List/2010-Big-Board/Trindon-Holliday.html

Film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNeziVgmApo&feature=PlayList&p=7E913F23A5C84708&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=10

Film (2): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt-KZ4VwPkk&feature=PlayList&p=7E913F23A5C84708&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=13

Brandon494
02-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Dont like the first two picks. We need a tackle not a guard. We already tried moving a tackle to play guard with Colledge, not trying to see that again.

Also as much as I like Shipley we don't need to be wasting a 2nd rounder on WR.

Thats one thing I do like about TT drafting style, he doesn't get caught up in the combine numbers and seems to draft guys who love to play the game. Only time that one bit him in the ass is taking Hawk over Davis.

Maxie the Taxi
02-25-2010, 03:26 PM
Dont like the first two picks. We need a tackle not a guard. We already tried moving a tackle to play guard with Colledge, not trying to see that again.

Also as much as I like Shipley we don't need to be wasting a 2nd rounder on WR.

Thats one thing I do like about TT drafting style, he doesn't get caught up in the combine numbers and seems to draft guys who love to play the game. Only time that one bit him in the ass is taking Hawk over Davis.

Like I said, I didn't pick'em because we need'em. I picked'em because I liked them as really good players.

I think both would make the Packers a much better team almost immediately. In fact, with the exception of maybe Austen Lane who might take a bit of grooming, they all would help immediately.

I hate it when pass rushers blow by our center and go straight up the gut to stick it to Arod. Pouncey would fix that.

Shipley would bring a legitimate slant/short yardage/over the middle receiver for Arod to hit quickly for a first down, etc. (Much the dimension that Welker offers Brady. He could save Driver a beating if nothing else.)

Arenas would be an immediate help in the secondary and punt returns.

Muckelroy would bring more competition to the LB corps.

Brandon West is the complement Grant needs.

And Holliday could return kicks and be our Percy Harvin.

And as a result we'd score 100 points per game instead of 30. :)

cheesner
02-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Seventh Round: Trindon Holliday, WR, RB, KR, PR, LSU (Why not? Think he’ll still be around in the 7th round? The guy’s a playmaker, plain and simple. A tough little shit too. Let’s give the Queens something to think about next year. Draft the world's fastest human who plays football. Just go to You Tube and search. There’s snippets of film on the guy. His 98 yard kick return for a TD goes by in less then 10 seconds. He makes returning kicks for TD's routine. Great hands as well. Plus, we need a guy on Special Teams that can run Percy Harvin down from behind! And remember how Devin Hester used to scare the pants off us when he’d go back to field a punt or a kick? Let’s return the favor, boys. Case closed!

There is speculation about that this kid could set the 40 record for the combine. If that occurs, expect him to go #8 overall to the Raiders.

:wink:

3irty1
02-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Appreciate the work you've put into this. Nice read and great format.

I've heard rumors that the Pack has already interviewed Holliday from LSU.

packrulz
02-26-2010, 05:28 AM
I would be happy with this draft Max, although TT drafted a center, Evan Dietrich-Smith, last year, so the chances of him drafting Pouncey are slim.

Maxie the Taxi
02-26-2010, 07:18 AM

There is speculation about that this kid could set the 40 record for the combine. If that occurs, expect him to go #8 overall to the Raiders.

:D

Seriously, I think the knock on Holliday -- other than the obvious -- is his committment to football. He could make a handsome income running track (without the potential of being killed by a 300 lbs. DE.

Maxie the Taxi
02-26-2010, 07:24 AM
Appreciate the work you've put into this. Nice read and great format.

I've heard rumors that the Pack has already interviewed Holliday from LSU.

Thanks for that. I did put some work into it. I'm glad you appreciate it.

I actually do hope Holliday is picked by the Packers. And I do not think he'll last to round 7.

One thing to seriously consider, though, is our Special Team deficiencies. Without some really good coaching and communication on the punt return teams, this kid could get killed. In fact, I don't know for sure, but I think NFL rules are not as protective of PR's as collegiate rules.

Maxie the Taxi
02-26-2010, 07:40 AM
I would be happy with this draft Max, although TT drafted a center, Evan Dietrich-Smith, last year, so the chances of him drafting Pouncey are slim.

I disagree. I think that the chances TT drafts Pouncey are slim... AND NONE! :D

I love Pouncey to death. Think he'd be a perennial all-pro. But if a guy like Sergio Kindle or Brandon Graham was still on the board at #23, I think I'd choose him over Pouncey.

The Pack needs to manufacturer pressure on the elite QB's in the league more than anything else. I think both TT and McStubby know that. The only way you can manufacture pressure is with better pass rushers. And Kindle is a beast.

Follow the link below. It's the most comprehensive scouting film and analysis I've ever seen. ND, PBmax and KY would wet their pants the analysis is so deep. I just watched the youtube film and it was all I needed.

http://www.universaldraft.com/2010/01/13/2010-spotlight-olb-sergio-kindle-texas/

Just compare Kindle's film with the film/analysis on this site for Hughes, Sapp and others. The difference is obvious.

I remember watching film on Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch and the rest. Peterson was obviously head and shoulder above the pack. Kindle strikes me the same way. The guy is like the energizer bunny. Quick. Fast. Strong enough to hold against the run. He regularly swipes 300 lbs. OLineman aside with a club move. He would be awesome in Green and Gold alongside Clay.

Smidgeon
02-26-2010, 07:56 AM

Seriously, I think the knock on Holliday -- other than the obvious -- is his committment to football. He could make a handsome income running track (without the potential of being killed by a 300 lbs. DE.

Well isn't Holliday also the one who's 5'5" and 166 lbs? That's really small and light for the NFL.

Maxie the Taxi
02-26-2010, 08:05 AM

Well isn't Holliday also the one who's 5'5" and 166 lbs? That's really small and light for the NFL.

That's what I meant by the "obvious." On the other hand, watch film of the guy. You know, college guys nowadays aren't that much smaller than NFL guys, especially in the SEC. If Holliday were 5'5" and 160 lbs. and slow as hell I'd be more concerned. But Holliday uses his speed (and moves -- the kid's got a little shifty in his gallop) to run away from collisions.

Yeah, the downside is you can't run him between the tackles and in the NFL there's always the chance of getting blind-sided by a head-hunter, but the upside is tremendous big play ability -- like Devin Hester. The up and down sides are why he'll never climb much beyond the 6th round IMO.

Joemailman
02-26-2010, 05:37 PM

Just for the record, EDS was not drafted. He was an UDFA.

I suspect TT would consider Pouncey if he feels Pouncey can also play Guard as well as Center.

Lurker64
02-26-2010, 05:42 PM
I suspect TT would consider Pouncey if he feels Pouncey can also play Guard as well as Center.

Considering that you can make a decent interior OL out of Wells, Spitz, Sitton, Colledge, and Lang I would certainly hope that TT stays away from interior OL in the first round. Iupati... maybe, but Pouncey I certainly hope not.

Joemailman
02-27-2010, 05:49 PM

Considering that you can make a decent interior OL out of Wells, Spitz, Sitton, Colledge, and Lang I would certainly hope that TT stays away from interior OL in the first round. Iupati... maybe, but Pouncey I certainly hope not.

I agree. TT would have to be completely blown away by a guy's ability to take an interior O-Lineman on the 1st round. My point was really that there is no way TT would take a guy on the 1st round if he only played Center. At the very least he would have to be considered the best Guard in the draft. [/b]

DonHutson
02-28-2010, 06:49 PM
I like the 'old school' criteria, and I'd love Jerry Hughes from TCU as an embodiment of that criteria.

retailguy
02-28-2010, 06:56 PM

I disagree with parts of this. On the draftee's - I've got no idea.

On the current members. You could get rid of spitz and colledge right now, I'd be very happy. Wells is good enough until someone else comes along. Sitton is a keeper and Lang has promise, but I think is more at home at tackle. We need OL, of all shapes and sizes.

Fritz
02-28-2010, 08:00 PM
I like to think that Erectile Dysfunction Smith can grow into the starting job this year, play hard.

As for the old school mock, Brandon Graham may fit your mold, Maxie. On a crappy defense that guy's motor never stopped. He's relentless. I don't know if he can cover a tight end or whatever, though, in the 3-4. But he's definitely ode skoo.

Joemailman
02-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Unfortunately, I have a feeling Bill Belichick will grab him right before the Packers pick.

packers11
02-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Unfortunately, I have a feeling Bill Belichick will grab him right before the Packers pick.

I thought Belicheat was going to take Matthews, but then I saw the packers traded with the Pats to take that spot in last years draft...

Good thing I was wrong :)

Joemailman
03-01-2010, 05:07 PM
I think he would have taken Matthews if he hadn't been able to work out the trade with TT. That's why I think he'll take Graham this year. That's a position that needs upgrading in New England, and he didn't do it last year.