PDA

View Full Version : Saban Turns Down Bush

jack's smirking revenge
07-31-2006, 02:14 PM
Not to turn this into a political discussion, but shouldn't the White House be dealing with other things instead of scheduling dinners with big wigs of NFL teams?

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) - When the White House called with an invitation to dine with President Bush, Dan Marino took it. But the coach of his former team said no.

Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban said Monday that his obligations at training camp took priority over a chance to meet the president.
"It was really a tough decision," Saban said. "I feel like my first responsibility is our team. That in no way disrespects the importance of the opportunity I would have loved to have had to spend dinner with the President."

The invitation was for dinner with Bush on Sunday night at Joe's Stone Crabs, a landmark Miami Beach restaurant. Marino, a former Dolphins quarterback and an NFL Hall of Famer, did attend, Bush said in a speech Monday.

Several Dolphins players said they weren't surprised that Saban put his team ahead of the president.

"We all know Nick is serious about what we're doing here and is committed to it," defensive end Jason Taylor said.

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 02:33 PM
"Several Dolphins players said they weren't surprised that Saban put his team ahead of the president." tyler

Good for Saban and "the Dolphins". This is one team that really has my interest this season tyler.

SudsMcBucky
07-31-2006, 03:26 PM
"Saban turns down Bush".

I think I just lost a lot of respect for him. I don't remember doing that very often. :lol:

jack's smirking revenge
07-31-2006, 04:06 PM
"Several Dolphins players said they weren't surprised that Saban put his team ahead of the president." tyler

Good for Saban and "the Dolphins". This is one team that really has my interest this season tyler.

Yes, they could be a VERY good team.

Or they could be the Vikings of the AFC--annointed as possible Super Bowl contenders every year, pretenders when the chips are down.

tyler

p.s. Woody--per your sig, look into what the latin translation is of mine. I think you will see parallels.....even though mine has to do with Faust giving his soul over to the devil.... :twisted:

Packgator
07-31-2006, 04:08 PM
""Not to turn this into a political discussion, but shouldn't the White House be dealing with other things instead of scheduling dinners with big wigs of NFL teams?""

The Prez eats dinner too. He was in Miami and asked Dan Marino and Saban to join him. Marino accepted but Saban thought he should stick with his training camp routine. Here is the quote from Saban......

"It was really a tough decision," Saban said. "I feel like my first responsibility is our team. That in no way disrespects the importance of the opportunity I would have loved to have dinner with the President."

The invitation was for dinner with Bush on Sunday night at Joe's Stone Crabs, a landmark Miami Beach restaurant. Marino, a former Dolphins quarterback and an NFL Hall of Famer, did attend, Bush said in a speech Monday.

jack's smirking revenge
07-31-2006, 04:13 PM
""Not to turn this into a political discussion, but shouldn't the White House be dealing with other things instead of scheduling dinners with big wigs of NFL teams?""

The Prez eats dinner too. He was in Miami and asked Dan Marino and Saban to join him. Marino accepted but Saban thought he should stick with his training camp routine. Here is the quote from Saban......

"It was really a tough decision," Saban said. "I feel like my first responsibility is our team. That in no way disrespects the importance of the opportunity I would have loved to have dinner with the President."

Yes, "the Prez" needs to eat. But, "the Prez" eats dinner at a "landmark Miami Beach restaurant" and invites NFL teams to eat with him? Who do you think picks up that tab? He's a government employee and, if he's in Miami, that means he's probably on a business trip. It definitely wasn't a personal trip, otherwise we'd have known about it. That means, essentially, my tax dollars could've paid for him to dine at one of Miami's finest restaurants while entertaining reps from an NFL team.

This just sounds--pardon the pun--fishy to me.

tyler

Tony Oday
07-31-2006, 04:17 PM
Its along the same vein as Clinton closing down LAX to get a haircut ;)

Who cares the president gets paid nothing what 200k to run the most powerful country in the world! I say eat out on our tab! :)

swede
07-31-2006, 04:22 PM
Interesting, but I take it at face value.

Football coaches are football geeky. I don't know much about Saban but he probably felt like he had a lot of work to do and hated the distraction.

jack's smirking revenge
07-31-2006, 04:28 PM

Who cares the president gets paid nothing what 200k to run the most powerful country in the world! I say eat out on our tab! :)

(*raises hand*) I do, so count me in that category. Clinton closing down LAX to get a haircut isn't right either, but he didn't put our country into a scenario where we're spending $177 million per day, $7.4 million per hour and $122,820 per minute on a conflict that has no end in sight.

Look, I don't want to turn this into a partisan bickerfest. Clinton wasn't perfect and neither is Bush.

Maybe this thread should be moved to the Romper Room. I have a feeling I know where this is going...

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2006, 08:21 PM
Romper Room

Partial
07-31-2006, 08:35 PM
The people have spoken, carry on

Charles Woodson
07-31-2006, 09:59 PM
First off, I think Bush was down to speak about immagrations and such. Also i can say that the pres noes how to dine. Living in miam, i have had opportunitys to go to nice resturants like that...Pretty much joes is my favorite

Partial
07-31-2006, 10:21 PM
First off, I think Bush was down to speak about immagrations and such. Also i can say that the pres noes how to dine. Living in miam, i have had opportunitys to go to nice resturants like that...Pretty much joes is my favorite

CW, great new name, avatar and rat name!!

Charles Woodson
07-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks partial, Decided to switch it up a bit

Packgator
08-01-2006, 12:59 AM
""Clinton closing down LAX to get a haircut isn't right either, but he didn't put our country into a scenario where we're spending $177 million per day, $7.4 million per hour and $122,820 per minute on a conflict that has no end in sight.""

The hell he didn't!

And I like a President who wants to have dinner with an NFL head coach and a HOF quarterback. My kind of guy. Sure beats your boy Bill who chose to have countless dinners, parties, and White House sleepovers with Barbra Streisand and her fellow Hollywood political wannabees. BTW.......I wonder who was picking up those tabs?

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2006, 06:43 AM
Maybe Saban is thinking of running for public office someday. Doesn't want embarassing pics floating around.

the_idle_threat
08-01-2006, 08:41 AM
Why would it embarrass him to be seen with Dan Marino? :?: :smile:

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2006, 10:04 AM
guy never won a Super Bowl.

Saban is a winner, a winner for Florida, and a winner for America.

jack's smirking revenge
08-01-2006, 10:13 AM
""Clinton closing down LAX to get a haircut isn't right either, but he didn't put our country into a scenario where we're spending $177 million per day, $7.4 million per hour and $122,820 per minute on a conflict that has no end in sight.""

The hell he didn't!

And I like a President who wants to have dinner with an NFL head coach and a HOF quarterback. My kind of guy. Sure beats your boy Bill who chose to have countless dinners, parties, and White House sleepovers with Barbra Streisand and her fellow Hollywood political wannabees. BTW.......I wonder who was picking up those tabs?

Don't make ASS-umptions gator. Bill is not my boy. I am not a Democrat, nor am I a Republican. It's madness to call yourself either these days.

I am just so tired of having and reading political conversations on this board. Who committed the United States to a war against an invisible opponent? George W. Bush. Thus, yes, George W. Bush DID commit our country's finances to an endless war. This discussion isn't a comparison of Clinton vs. Bush; this discussion is about the activites and decisions of a sitting President. Bush was on a fundraising sweep through Miami over the weekend, while there's a war going on in Iraq, a major conflict in Israel/Lebanon and conflict brewing involving North Korea, Syria and Iran. Maybe...just maybe....that stuff should be left until problems are closer to solved in the world.

This discussion is about oversight. If you want to turn this into a Clinton vs. Bush debate, then I won't be joining you. I've already stated that Clinton was not perfect and I'm not a Clinton supporter. But I'm not a Bush one either and have every right to criticize his moves and motives while people are killing and dying in the name of America.

tyler

mraynrand
08-01-2006, 10:42 AM
I turned down Bush last night. I was just too tired.

the_idle_threat
08-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Long walk to the barn? :wink:

K-town
08-01-2006, 10:54 AM
I turned down Bush last night. I was just too tired.

I never found Kate Bush to be all that attractive. And I didn't really dig her voice. Though the live performance of "Rolling the Ball" on Saturday Night Live was one of the oddest things I've ever seen on network TV. :mrgreen:

Joemailman
08-01-2006, 10:40 PM
This thread reminds me of the 1984 election when Mondale made Geraldine Ferraro his running mate so that both he and Reagan would have a Bush as a running mate.

Packgator
08-03-2006, 08:50 AM
""I am just so tired of having and reading political conversations on this board.""

Then why did you start a "political conversation" thread?

""Who committed the United States to a war against an invisible opponent? George W. Bush. Thus, yes, George W. Bush DID commit our country's finances to an endless war.""

And the alternative is? Stick our head in the sand and pretend we don't have an enemy that wants to eliminate all "infidel's" from the face of the earth? Pretend that we weren't attacked or that our enemy wouldn't continue those attacks (when they themselves say they will)? Thankfully we do have a President that DID commit us to this battle that we all wish we didn't have to fight. War sucks. The choice between war or peace is an easy one. Any sane person will choose peace. But don't blame us for this war. Blame those who brought it to us. This will be five years old on the 11th of next month. Is that endless? We all better hope this is not endless. If not for our sake then for the generations that follow.

""this discussion is about the activites and decisions of a sitting President. Bush was on a fundraising sweep through Miami over the weekend, while there's a war going on in Iraq, a major conflict in Israel/Lebanon and conflict brewing involving North Korea, Syria and Iran. Maybe...just maybe....that stuff should be left until problems are closer to solved in the world.""

Is this about a fundraising sweep or the choice to have dinner with some football people? I took the subject of the thread to be your disapproval of the "football dinner"..........of which I do not see any reason to disapprove.

""But I'm not a Bush one either and have every right to criticize his moves and motives while people are killing and dying in the name of America.""

Of course you do! It's one of the many great things about our country. But are you criticizing or blaming?

BTW.......GO PACK GO!

Partial
08-03-2006, 08:57 AM

(*raises hand*) I do, so count me in that category. Clinton closing down LAX to get a haircut isn't right either, but he didn't put our country into a scenario where we're spending $177 million per day, $7.4 million per hour and $122,820 per minute on a conflict that has no end in sight.

Look, I don't want to turn this into a partisan bickerfest. Clinton wasn't perfect and neither is Bush.

Maybe this thread should be moved to the Romper Room. I have a feeling I know where this is going...

tyler[/quote]

Cost schmost, you live in america and we will get out of the rut.

Partial
08-03-2006, 09:03 AM
I am just so tired of having and reading political conversations on this board. Who committed the United States to a war against an invisible opponent? George W. Bush. Thus, yes, George W. Bush DID commit our country's finances to an endless war. This discussion isn't a comparison of Clinton vs. Bush; this discussion is about the activites and decisions of a sitting President. Bush was on a fundraising sweep through Miami over the weekend, while there's a war going on in Iraq, a major conflict in Israel/Lebanon and conflict brewing involving North Korea, Syria and Iran. Maybe...just maybe....that stuff should be left until problems are closer to solved in the world.

Not picking on you Jack, just happens you've brought up the two points that have caught my eye.

The lebannon/Isreal chrisis is a good thing. No way is bush going to stop that. Isreal is going to go in there and kick ass and take names, we all know that. What is the benefit of this you ask? Well, when all the Hezzbolah (who is equiping and funding them you must ask) realize they're getting their asses kicked by the isrealaes, ideally they'll be smart enough to realize they will be wiped off the face of the planet if they mess with america.

Like it or not, Bush isn't gonna do a damn thing. No matter how you look at it, it's good for America.

jack's smirking revenge
08-03-2006, 10:01 AM

Not picking on you Jack, just happens you've brought up the two points that have caught my eye.

The lebannon/Isreal chrisis is a good thing. No way is bush going to stop that. Isreal is going to go in there and kick ass and take names, we all know that. What is the benefit of this you ask? Well, when all the Hezzbolah (who is equiping and funding them you must ask) realize they're getting their asses kicked by the isrealaes, ideally they'll be smart enough to realize they will be wiped off the face of the planet if they mess with america.

Like it or not, Bush isn't gonna do a damn thing. No matter how you look at it, it's good for America.

Well, I have a dissenting opinion, but since I stated above that I'm tired of political disucssions here, I'm not going to elaborate. You're welcome to your opinion. As someone who has lived around the world, I don't believe everything that you've mentioned is in the best interest of America.

tyler