PDA

View Full Version : Packers anoint Finley as starting tight end

packers11
02-28-2010, 11:51 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Packers coach Mike McCarthy revealed Sunday that Jermichael Finley will move into the starting lineup in 2010.

Donald Lee will block and play special teams. "Yes, (Finley) is (the starter)," McCarthy confirmed. "What's exciting about him, he gets better every week." As an every-down tight end, Finley's snap count will increase dramatically. He finished 2009 with a bang, catching 38 passes for 416 yards and four touchdowns in Green Bay's final seven regular season games. The line extrapolated over a 16-game season would be 87-951-10. Finley should be one of the top-five tight ends off the board in 2010 fantasy drafts. Feb. 28 - 11:36 pm et

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

packerbacker1234
03-01-2010, 12:47 AM
It was bound to happen. You just can't keep a guy that talented and productive in a part time role.

That being said, I feel for Donald Lee who never really did anything to lose the spot. Still glad to have Lee, an experienced starting Tight End, as our #2.

hoosier
03-01-2010, 08:04 AM
It was bound to happen. You just can't keep a guy that talented and productive in a part time role.

That being said, I feel for Donald Lee who never really did anything to lose the spot. Still glad to have Lee, an experienced starting Tight End, as our #2.

Lee was pretty bad this year. His blocking looked decent but he had way too many drops and didn't show any of the speed and tackle-breaking ability that he had back in 2007.

LEWCWA
03-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Not only do I not feel sorry for Lee, I think they should be looking to replace him.

Patler
03-01-2010, 09:03 AM

More importantly, Lee did nothing this year to KEEP his starting spot.

Lurker64
03-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Lee is about what you look for in an NFL backup TE. He's found his proper position. Good to finally have a guy worthy of the #1 TE designation.

Though Finley's blocking technique still leaves a lot to be desired, you have to give him credit for being a spirited blocker, if not a tremendously effective one. Unlike a lot of other TEs who are dangerous receivers, Finley gives good effort when blocking.

Fritz
03-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Lee is about what you look for in an NFL backup TE. He's found his proper position. Good to finally have a guy worthy of the #1 TE designation.

Though Finley's blocking technique still leaves a lot to be desired, you have to give him credit for being a spirited blocker, if not a tremendously effective one. Unlike a lot of other TEs who are dangerous receivers, Finley gives good effort when blocking.

Lurker, I think you're right - Lee is a good, solid #2 tight end. Now let's make sure the dude can block because that's what #2 tight ends are often asked to do!

steve823
03-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Lee's a good person, but he had a horrible year. I remember specifically him dropping 2 passes in the end zone in key moments, and it seems his play has dropped. However he would be a good #2 TE if he focus on his blocking in the offseason.

RashanGary
03-01-2010, 02:44 PM

I like this post. For as much as Finley is regarded as a top receiving threat, I think his, "tough guy" demeanor hasn't really been talked about a lot. Finley has had a couple "WOW" moments in the blocking game, some real embarassing pancakes for his opponents. He plays with a lot of nasty. I see him as being a complete player on top of being a budding star receiver.

I think 2010 will not only be the year Finley becomes a probowl TE on his receiving merit, but will also be the year fans recognize him as a kick-ass blocker. He brings some of that Ray-Ray Ghetto tough.

Brandon494
03-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Not only do I not feel sorry for Lee, I think they should be looking to replace him.

+1

He had some HUGE drops this past season and he is an average blocker. I mean even Harver out performed him, I would almost rather have him out there.

mission
03-01-2010, 04:57 PM

+1

He had some HUGE drops this past season and he is an average blocker. I mean even Harver out performed him, I would almost rather have him out there.

HUUUUGE drops!

Forever changed my perception of D-Lee, the player.

Tony Oday
03-01-2010, 06:14 PM
I would imagine he has some trade value at least

Lurker64
03-01-2010, 06:41 PM
I would imagine he has some trade value at least

Meh, not really. He's an adequate backup, and a below average starter. I can't imagine anybody would give up much for him. But for guys that wouldn't command much interest on the open market, teams tend to just wait for that guy to get cut. Trades involving mediocre players are pretty rare.

Then again, TT did get a conditional future 7th round pick for his backup longsnapper, so anything is possible.

Joemailman
03-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Backup TE's, who are probably on the downside of their careers, do not have any real trade value. His value to the Packers as a backup is probably greater than whatever he might bring in a trade.

cheesner
03-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Jermichael Finley is going to start.

In related news, Aaron Rodgers will not be switching positions to Defensive Tackle.

Talk about the obvious being reported as if it was news.

RashanGary
03-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Jermichael Finley is going to start.

In related news, Aaron Rodgers will not be switching positions to Defensive Tackle.

Talk about the obvious being reported as if it was news.

Still exciting news. Maybe we're not getting a free agent, but what we are getting is even better than any free agent out there. We're getting jermichael Finley stepping into the prime of his career and making peanuts.

I'll take that over an over the hill LT, or an overpriced anyone-out-there. I think sometimes we forget the, "improvement from within" factor.

Brad Jones, TJ Lang, Jermichael Finley, Jordy Nelson, Brandon Underwood, Jarius Wynn, BJ Raji, Clay Matthews, Josh Sitton. . . . All figure to be upgrades on our team, and those are just the guys who show promise. What about the guys who don't do a thing and then all of a sudden year 3, they're great. That happens too. We could have some of those on the team as well. Barbre and Giacomini come to mind as possibilities.

Marco Rivera, Mike Wahle and Earl Dotson are guys who struggled early and then just "got it". Could happen with some of our young guys now.

Fritz
03-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Was this anointing done with proper oils and such? Did they give him a tiara?