PDA

View Full Version : With no cap in sight - here come the redskins!

packers11
03-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Let the fun begin:

www.rotoworld.com

The Redskins will be among the teams bidding on free agent Darren Sproles, sources tell Chargers beat writer Kevin Acee.

The Redskins will be linked to most high-priced free agents thanks to the deep pockets of owner Daniel Snyder. Sproles would be a major upgrade over Antwaan Randle El as a punt returner and become the 'Skins third-down back.

The Redskins are expected to pursue free agent Julius Peppers, according to beat writer Jason Reid.

This is no surprise given owner Daniel Snyder's history. The Redskins are shifting from a 4-3 defense to a 3-4 and Peppers wants to stand up in a 3-4 scheme. If the Peppers saga turns into a bidding war, the Redskins will undoubtedly be players.

Source: Washington Post

ESPN NFC East blogger Matt Mosley "wouldn't be shocked" to see LaDainian Tomlinson with the Redskins in 2010.

Coach Mike Shanahan disclosed Friday that he and Tomlinson are friends who stay in touch. The Redskins have too many holes to upgrade the position early in the draft. Tomlinson and Clinton Portis could conceivably stage a training camp competition to if either back can outrun the grim reaper. It's one of the few situations where LT would have a fighting chance to start.

Source: ESPN.com

Anyone that is dreaming for Sproles / Peppers or and high touted FA can forget about it... Snyder is going to use this year as Super Bowl or bust.

Lurker64
03-01-2010, 12:23 PM
It would be kind of funny if the Redskins signed all of the UFAs.

hoosier
03-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Danny Snyder is going to be one remorseful owner if and when the NFL returns to the cap. Until then he will just be a sorry excuse for an owner.

cheesner
03-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Owners have been warned (i have heard) that the new CBA will not include any
'grandfather' clauses on contracts signed during any uncapped season. If Snyder goes nuts - I could see all the owners 'punishing' him with the new CBA. Can you imagine if he signs players with $200M on 5 year contracts in signing bonuses? The new cap comes in at $120M and Snyder is paying $40M/year on prorated signing bonuses?

ThunderDan
03-01-2010, 02:34 PM
I think you can cut any player next year and take the cap hit in an uncapped year. If I was a player I would be very nervous about this and demand upfront money.

Fritz
03-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Honest to gosh, he runs that organization like a casual fan. "Darren Sproles? I saw him score a touchdown on t.v. last year. I'm signing that guy - he's good!"

He's nearing Matt Millenesque status. He's Matt Millen-like. His Matt Millenocity is increasing daily.

packerbacker1234
03-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Owners and teams are obviously nervous this off season because a lot of signs point to there being a cap again,which really is what "everyone but the players" want. The thing is, it appears to me to be a 50/50 deal.

One side has to budge. Either the owners have to agree to no cap, or the players union has to agree to go back to a cap as long as they are compensated in other areas, such as wanting more money to take care of the retired verterans.

Lurker64
03-03-2010, 06:50 PM
One side has to budge. Either the owners have to agree to no cap, or the players union has to agree to go back to a cap as long as they are compensated in other areas, such as wanting more money to take care of the retired verterans.

Most recently, the NFLPA was trying to scramble to get a cap put into place for the next season, since the problem from the players' perspective is that with no salary cap, there's no salary floor. Under the CBA, teams were obligated to spend a certain percentage of the cap, but no more. Now, a team could (if they want), construct a roster of 53 UDFAs for $320,000 per head, spending just under $17 million to field a team and pocketing millions and millions of dollars in TV revenues.

In order for the owners to get the salary cap back, really all they have to give back is what this year is taking away from the players: 5 year free agency, a salary floor, and lessen restrictions on successful teams in free agency.

retailguy
03-04-2010, 12:10 PM

Most recently, the NFLPA was trying to scramble to get a cap put into place for the next season, since the problem from the players' perspective is that with no salary cap, there's no salary floor. Under the CBA, teams were obligated to spend a certain percentage of the cap, but no more. Now, a team could (if they want), construct a roster of 53 UDFAs for $320,000 per head, spending just under $17 million to field a team and pocketing millions and millions of dollars in TV revenues.

In order for the owners to get the salary cap back, really all they have to give back is what this year is taking away from the players: 5 year free agency, a salary floor, and lessen restrictions on successful teams in free agency.

I think there is still a floor in 2010, it was 320k iirc. I saw an article on pft a few days ago...

Fritz
03-05-2010, 06:46 AM
Danny boy is after Chad Clifton! Look out - he'll get a three year deal for 36 million!

Bretsky
03-05-2010, 07:24 AM
Danny boy is after Chad Clifton! Look out - he'll get a three year deal for 36 million!

That would suck; I still expect Clifton back in GB though and it would surprise me if we let him get away. The downside is he's probably going to get offers higher than whatever our best offer was. Then we might react and offer more. Hopefully we get him back.

Fritz
03-05-2010, 07:31 AM

That would suck; I still expect Clifton back in GB though and it would surprise me if we let him get away. The downside is he's probably going to get offers higher than whatever our best offer was. Then we might react and offer more. Hopefully we get him back.

That's just it. I'd like to see Clifton back for one or maybe two years. But if the Skins sign him to a 3 year plus deal that contains what would be a big salary and lots of dead cap money (if a new deal contains such provisions), then I don't want him back. I didn't like the times a few years back where the team was heading into the season with several million on the books for players who weren't even on the team any more. That sucked.