PDA

View Full Version : Running Backs a Plenty...

ND72
03-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Any chance Teddy takes a look at any of these Free Agent RB's that are out there? I'm not saying necessarily to pass up Grant, but rather be a 1-2 punch. I'm still a huge fan of LT, and still think he has years left in him and he wants to play on a winner. Iwould rather us try, than let him sign with say Minnesota.

Any of these guys you think we could look at?

Sproles
LT
Thomas Jones
Westbrook

Are there others?

The Leaper
03-02-2010, 10:47 PM
FA RBs are too pricey and typically are over the hill. Teams don't let good RBs just walk...especially in a year where they really don't have to.

Lurker64
03-02-2010, 11:45 PM
There's also a good crop of RBs in this draft: Spiller, Best, Dwyer, Matthews, Gerhart, Hardesty, McCluster, McKnight, Tate, Blount, Scott, and Dixon should all contribute quickly and noticeably.

packrulz
03-03-2010, 04:58 AM
I'm thinking some teams will sign them after the draft.

Brandon494
03-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Too many miles on those legs. RBs come a dime a dozen now a days and you can pick up guys in later rounds who will cost you a fraction of what those RBs will cost.

Tony Oday
03-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Too many miles on those legs. RBs come a dime a dozen now a days and you can pick up guys in later rounds who will cost you a fraction of what those RBs will cost.

yet we haven't had a decent back up in a while...

ThunderDan
03-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Any chance Teddy takes a look at any of these Free Agent RB's that are out there? I'm not saying necessarily to pass up Grant, but rather be a 1-2 punch. I'm still a huge fan of LT, and still think he has years left in him and he wants to play on a winner. Iwould rather us try, than let him sign with say Minnesota.

Sproles
LT
Thomas Jones
Westbrook

Are there others?

Sproles 26 yo 583 total touches (rushing , receiving and returns)
LT 30 3,410 touches
Jones 31 2,586 touches
Westbrook 30 1,796 touches

mission
03-03-2010, 10:57 AM

Sproles
LT
Thomas Jones
Westbrook

Are there others?

Sproles 26 yo 583 total touches (rushing , receiving and returns)
LT 30 3,410 touches
Jones 31 2,586 touches
Westbrook 30 1,796 touches

Damn, think of touches as 'how many times they've been tackled' ... that's a lot! Save some TDs and OOBs but you get the gist... Westbrook has been too injured to accumulate a lot... that number is kind of surprising.

Freak Out
03-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Sproles would be a fine addition as a KR and platoon back but is likely going to be pretty spendy.

3irty1
03-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Now is the time to spend money on pricey old backs while we already have a feature back in Ryan Grant.

Brando19
03-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Isn't ronnie brown a UFA?

billy_oliver880
03-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Isn't ronnie brown a UFA?

Looks like you will have to give up a first rounder for brown.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/03/dolphins-save-dollars-on-tenders-for-fasano-brown/

justanotherpackfan
03-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Don Banks wrote an article on SI.com and I found this:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/03/03/free.agents/1.html

Where he should sign: Green Bay -- If finally getting a Super Bowl ring is the only reason LT's still playing these days, why not roll the dice with the on-the-rise Packers and quarterback Aaron Rodgers? Tomlinson could be Green Bay's second rushing option behind starter Ryan Grant for a year or two, and there are play-makers galore in that Packers passing game. Unless LT has zero interest in playing in cold weather, Green Bay is a team that nicely fits his dwindling timetable.

Brandon494
03-04-2010, 05:28 PM

yet we haven't had a decent back up in a while...

I know right but thats because TT has only traded two running backs in Brandon Jackson and Wynn.

Gunakor
03-04-2010, 05:36 PM
I think Brandon Jackson has been decent as a backup. You can't expect a starting caliber back to play second fiddle. Jackson isn't a starter, but he can pick up a blitz and has good hands and doesn't make killer mistakes and will make plays in the open field. He's progressed quite nicely since his rookie year.

Grant is the workhorse. He'll be in on pretty much every first and second down snap. We're talking about a guy to come in on 3rd downs and on rare occasion spell Grant on the first 2 downs. I think Jackson is all we need there. The only guy on that list I'd take before Jackson to backup Grant is Sproles, and he's gonna cost much, much more to have on the roster than Jackson will. I'm good with the RB's we have.

Joemailman
03-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Chargers changed their mind and put a 1st and 3rd tender on Sproles. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Did-Chargers-find-out-what-Sproles-was-up-to.html

Gunakor
03-04-2010, 05:49 PM
He's out then. No way I'd give up a 1st and a 3rd for a guy who might only get 15 touches a game, regardless of salary. I'd rather stick with Jackson.

Brandon494
03-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I like Grant and Jackson but I think we need a change of pace back with speed and who could possibly return kicks.

Brandon494
03-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Maybe Joe McKnight or McCluster?