PDA

View Full Version : NFL "Tender" SUPRISES

Bretsky
03-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Feel free to post any surprises coming out in the news today

One stuck out HUGE to me today

Reported that Kirk Morrison, the LB for the Raiders, received a third round tender. Not sure why. That guy seems like the real deal and worthy of a much higher tender.

I'm guessing he finds a home elsewhere and hopes to escape the Aldome

mission
03-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Morrison for a 3rd? I'd say that's surprising...

3irty1
03-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Jared Gaither of the Ravens was tendered for a 1st. I'm thinking he'll likely get poached. He's a damn fine tackle and only 24 years old.

justanotherpackfan
03-03-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm pretty clueless regarding the free agency period. So, when will we start seeing teams going after free agents? Can we expect TT to make any big moves within the next few days or is the "active period" still a few weeks away.

3irty1
03-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm pretty clueless regarding the free agency period. So, when will we start seeing teams going after free agents? Can we expect TT to make any big moves within the next few days or is the "active period" still a few weeks away.

Active period will be a little lamer than usual. Anyone who would be a big young FA this year is generally a RFA instead. Things could get interesting soon with Tenders being matched and whatnot.

Bretsky
03-03-2010, 09:58 PM

Most of the time TT will be studying college film IMO while teams persue free agents early on.

Look for the Bears, Redskins, and Falcons IMO to be potential early players. It can start as early as Friday March 5th I think.

Word is running rampant the Bears are going to recruit Julius Peppers heavily and are also interested in Kampman as a backup plan.

I've been listening to the NFL Network a lot lately. Nationally most believe Kampman will not be a Packer next year, and he is on several teams Plan B list behind Julius Peppers.

From our standpoint we should hope things start out slowly and not a lot of teams are aggressive towards Kampman, Clifton, and Tauscher.

To be honest I'm not sure there is a better LT than Clifton out there and a better RT than Tauscher out there.

IMO Green Bay should make every effort to keep both; I do believe they will secure Clifton.

Tauscher, who is the one guy who really wants to stay in Green Bay, is a toss up. Many feel if MM tries to give his strong two cents in he might convince GB to keep him.......but if not we'll go with the young guys and trust that Lang or some other youngyan can replace Tauscher.

It's no secret to anybody who follows the Packers that in 09 the Packers were a completely different team, to the positive side, once Tauscher came back. Solid player, and even when not playing a great leader and locker room presence.

3irty1
03-03-2010, 10:25 PM
If I had to speculate I'd guess that Clifton is with us and Tauscher and Kampman are not.

Clifton and Tauscher are arguably the top two tackles available however I think Clifton is much more valuable to us than any others. TT will get one more offseason to fill Tauscher's shoes. For Kampman its a little more obvious. The fit isn't there anymore--he's hurt, he'll catch on somewhere else and we'll be happy with the compensary pick.

Gunakor
03-04-2010, 01:28 AM
I think Clifton is secured early in FA, simply because I don't think they can chance LT for the entire season to an unproven like Lang or the hope they can get a franchise LT in the draft. Tauscher will be able to test the waters, while the Packers monitor interest. If the interest is high, Thompson may throw his hat into the ring early. If not I think he waits until after the draft to see if a quality replacement could be found.

Thompson will make an offer to Kampman as a formality, but it won't be nearly the same as what other teams are offering. It won't be a strong effort to keep him here. I don't see Kampman as a priority, and I won't be devestated to see him playing for someone else next year. I don't think he'll be too devestated either, so long as it's a 4-3 team where he can play with his hand in the dirt.

Fritz
03-04-2010, 06:46 AM
Probably keeping Clifton for one or two years is the most important free agent signing for the Pack. Tauscher I like but Lang looks like a capable replacement. Still, Tausch might give the Pack a tiny home team discount to stay, which would allow the Pack to play Lang at left guard since D. Colledge thinks he's going to get an offer somewhere else...yeah, right. Go for it, dude. At this point I wouldn't be devastated if he goes, nor would I be devastated if he stays.

KYPack
03-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Jared Gaither of the Ravens was tendered for a 1st. I'm thinking he'll likely get poached. He's a damn fine tackle and only 24 years old.

Yeah, he's definitely worth a one. That kid is huge. An edge rusher needs a road map to get around him, he's so big.

He's a clumsy bugger, but he will learn and be an all-pro one day.

Smidgeon
03-04-2010, 09:40 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/04/rams-could-be-giving-atogwe-the-lowest-level-tender/

retailguy
03-04-2010, 12:18 PM

Yeah, he's definitely worth a one. That kid is huge. An edge rusher needs a road map to get around him, he's so big.

KY - is he worth the 23rd pick, plus the contract to go with it?

Scott Campbell
03-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Pierre Thomas only got a 2nd. That seems a little low for him.

3irty1
03-04-2010, 02:13 PM

He's on the cusp of being a top 10 LT. 4 years and 20 lbs ago he floored everyone with his mobility for a big guy (sub 5 second 40 and mind blowing 7.12 in the 3 cone) but most doubted his upper body strength (15 reps). His strength has always been pass protection but he's bulked up and has become a real contributor in the run game as well.

Some question his work ethic however the guy clearly does something right because 4 years ago he was a 5th round supplemental draft pick and now he's a starting LT. My guess is that if we pass on him it has something to do with CMIII making him look like Bryant McKinnie last season.

Fritz
03-04-2010, 04:43 PM
I'd like to hear what others think. Would he be worth the 23rd overall pick?

Or do you sign Clifton for one more year and invest that pick in a young buck, either at LT or somewhere else, then pick up your developmental LT in the 2nd round?

Mazzin
03-04-2010, 06:26 PM
I haven't seen enought of him for an accurate judgement, but if what someone said earlier, that he is only 24. Then what do you mean place it in a young buck, he is still young. I would take him in a heartbeat. BUT thats not how Ted handles things, he isn't giving up them picks unless he thinks it's going to be a sure fire player.

pbmax
03-04-2010, 06:35 PM

He's on the cusp of being a top 10 LT. 4 years and 20 lbs ago he floored everyone with his mobility for a big guy (sub 5 second 40 and mind blowing 7.12 in the 3 cone) but most doubted his upper body strength (15 reps). His strength has always been pass protection but he's bulked up and has become a real contributor in the run game as well.

Some question his work ethic however the guy clearly does something right because 4 years ago he was a 5th round supplemental draft pick and now he's a starting LT. My guess is that if we pass on him it has something to do with CMIII making him look like Bryant McKinnie last season.
Wasn't he hurt at some point this year? I think Oher was flopping back and forth right to left because of Gaither's injury. I seem to remember that was an issue when the Packers played Baltimore.

pbmax
03-04-2010, 06:37 PM
This was in ND72s thread also, but it qualifies as a surprise since he was expected to be a free agent. Sproles was tendered by the Chargers and the report I read said it was the "highest" tender. Which, presumably means 1st and 3rd.

Fritz
03-04-2010, 08:50 PM
I haven't seen enought of him for an accurate judgement, but if what someone said earlier, that he is only 24. Then what do you mean place it in a young buck, he is still young. I would take him in a heartbeat. BUT thats not how Ted handles things, he isn't giving up them picks unless he thinks it's going to be a sure fire player.

What I meant is that if you sign Gaither, you're not going to sign Clifton and so you now have a left tackle, but no first round pick.

Conversely, you could re-sign Cliffy and draft a, okay, young-er buck to groom at left tackle, or you could draft whomever you think is best available talent, then grab a LT in the second round (in my little fantasy world that makes it sound easy to grab a LT).

KYPack
03-05-2010, 07:47 AM

That's the 64,000 dollar question, right?
You don't have to teach him how to get big. 6'9" 340 outta do that job. He's got a ton of upside still at 24, but also has a lot ot learn. Huge wingspan and really cute on his feet for a big man. He has a natural kick step and can PP with authority. Can also be a road grader on runs.

He get's rattled. An edge rusher with an inside move can beat him. The Bengals Antwan Odom has that move and has danced all over Gaither at times. But not a lot of other guys are effective against him. I have no clue if we'll make that move. if the guys TT has targeted all get snapped up, TT has to consider getting this kid with our 1. Gaither has already visited NE. their 1 is about the same as ours. Ozzie would want the pick in hand before the draft.

Ozzie is a draft master and can turn 1's into effective players. With TT's track record, I side with those who doubt we'll be the one to make the trade. I think this kid does move, but doubt we'll be the team to make it.

retailguy
03-05-2010, 08:51 AM
That's the 64,000 dollar question, right?
You don't have to teach him how to get big. 6'9" 340 outta do that job. He's got a ton of upside still at 24, but also has a lot ot learn. Huge wingspan and really cute on his feet for a big man. He has a natural kick step and can PP with authority. Can also be a road grader on runs.

He get's rattled. An edge rusher with an inside move can beat him. The Bengals Antwan Odom has that move and has danced all over Gaither at times. But not a lot of other guys are effective against him. I have no clue if we'll make that move. if the guys TT has targeted all get snapped up, TT has to consider getting this kid with our 1. Gaither has already visited NE. their 1 is about the same as ours. Ozzie would want the pick in hand before the draft.

Ozzie is a draft master and can turn 1's into effective players. With TT's track record, I side with those who doubt we'll be the one to make the trade. I think this kid does move, but doubt we'll be the team to make it.

I think Ted believes he'll get Cliffy back, so I don't think he's entertaining this idea. My fear is that he won't get Cliffy back (redskins seeing him today), and that Gaither will be gone when Ted finally sees he won't get Ciffy back. Then what? I like Lang, and believe he could "man" the LT spot, but the coaching staff doesn't seem to agree with me, so that concerns me.

I suspect that the LT position could be in flux until after the draft, and maybe beyond that.

Wonder if we can get Tony Moll back from the Ravens. :shock: