PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency

Brando19
03-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Free Agency officially begins in just a few minutes. According to PFT...the Jets have acquired Cromartie from the Chargers for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and Julius Peppers is pretty much a Redskin.

justanotherpackfan
03-04-2010, 09:44 PM
It appears the Bears are pursuing Antrell Rolle...and here we go with the Redskins annual "big splash" free agent signings.

Brando19
03-04-2010, 09:47 PM
I just heard on Sirius NFL Radio that the Lions are trading for Cleveland's Corey Williams.

Lurker64
03-04-2010, 09:47 PM
It appears the Bears are pursuing Antrell Rolle...and here we go with the Redskins annual "big splash" free agent signings.

If the Bears give Antrell Rolle the 8 million he thinks he's worth, I will laugh and laugh.

Brando19
03-04-2010, 09:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4967021

Here's the Corey Williams to the Lions story.

Bretsky
03-04-2010, 09:55 PM

At least we got Brain Brohm

Brando19

At least we got Brain Brohm

:lol:

Lurker64

Man, that Corey Williams trade really worked out well for everybody.

steve823
03-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Not good. Cromartie to the Jets. Hopefully he plays bad and doesn't become good again because him and revis is deadly.

Tony Oday
03-04-2010, 10:10 PM

Man, that Corey Williams trade really worked out well for everybody.

we saved money on the deal :)

Bretsky
03-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Sounds like Kampman may be a hot product right out of the gates

The Eagles would be a nice fit and is my prediction for his landing

Lurker64
03-04-2010, 11:01 PM

Wouldn't mind seeing that, I don't really want to see him in Chicago though.

Bretsky
03-04-2010, 11:06 PM

me either

Seattle is also rumored to be very interested.

Kampman...stand up guy....but IMO he never embraced the new defense and IMO he probably wants to leave Green Bay

mission
03-04-2010, 11:14 PM

me either

Seattle is also rumored to be very interested.

Kampman...stand up guy....but IMO he never embraced the new defense and IMO he probably wants to leave Green Bay

seattle would definitely be best case... then philly... no bears..

good to see him getting this much interest despite the injury. normally id be more sad to see such a good packer go but i think it's time.

(what if he ends up signing with us for TT's peanut offer?)

Bretsky
03-05-2010, 12:48 AM
TWITTER RUMORS FROM ADAM SCHEFFLER

Clifton pursued by Redskins and visiting them Friday
Peppers visiting Bears Friday and they will try to finalize deal
John Schneider from Seattle very interested in Kampman

I find it hard to believe TTT would let Clifton go

Makes sense for the Skins; they get the top LT out in FA and then they don't have to draft a LT in round one

pbmax
03-05-2010, 01:00 AM

Makes sense for the Skins; they get the top LT out in FA and then they don't have to draft a LT in round one
Silverstein had him looking for a 3-4 year deal. Which means a sizable bonus and a high likelihood that the player won't finish the deal (health and/or retirement). If that bonus is high enough, I can see Thompson saying the price is too high for his age.

He rarely signs someone because of what is or is not behind him.

But that leaves an even larger hole on the left side (can you get larger than gaping?) if it plays out that way.

Lurker64
03-05-2010, 01:34 AM
If we lose Clifton, I hope Thompson goes after Tra Thomas, Jared Gaither, or Alex Barron.

Tony Oday
03-05-2010, 01:34 AM
I just want to know who the H is going to be our O line...

Gunakor
03-05-2010, 01:36 AM
Clifton's agent is the same agent for the former Skins' LT that just retired this year. So he's been using Washington as his ace in the hole during negotiations with Green Bay. Thompson will almost inevitably have to overpay for Clifton if he wants to keep him here, as I think his agent is pushing for a change of address.

Given the depth of first round talent at LT in this years draft, I don't think I'd do it. Part of moving on is giving a new guy his opportunity, and it's worked out well for us recently all things considered. How could we let Walker go? Why didn't we resign Ahman Green before he went to Houston? OMG we had no proven QB to take the reigns when we traded Favre to the Jets!

Things worked out fine. The sky never fell on Lambeau Field like many were predicting.

Don't get me wrong, I want Clifton back. But not at the price he's asking. Not worth it. Would be more worth it IMO to give a younger guy his shot at a fraction of that cost. Get a LT in the first round, where the LT depth is greatest, and let's keep the train moving.

packrulz
03-05-2010, 05:27 AM
If we lose Clifton, I hope Thompson goes after Tra Thomas, Jared Gaither, or Alex Barron.
Clifton hasn't made it through an entire season in some time, and has had multiple surgeries. I'm interested in Gaither, he's young, but is he worth a 1st round pick? How about Mike Gandy of the Cardinals? Even if TT drafts Campbell, he's not ready to start, and TJ Lang is probably better suited for RT. In a way, I'm kind of glad, I like Cliffy, but we start every season counting on him and he ends up hurt, lets draft a young stud LT.
Stalled labor talks lead NFL to new uncapped landscape
March 4, 2010
CBSSports.com wire reports

But sports agent Joe Linta, who represents Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco among others, is optimistic the pocketbooks will remain open. His thoughts echo those by many of his colleagues:

"The owners are all wealthy," Linta says, "and as much as they need and want to make money, the need to win is greater than the need to make money -- they already have plenty. Their insatiable desire to win will override their greed to save and make money. So, yeah, they'll spend."

Some can spend more than others. But the crop of unrestricted free agents contains few difference makers and is inferior to the group of restricted free agents.

Under the CBA that expires next March, the top conference semifinalists from January's playoffs have extra restrictions in signing free agents. The final four, for example, must lose an unrestricted free agent (UFA) before they can sign one.

That hamstrings the Saints, Colts, Jets and Vikings.

packrulz
03-05-2010, 05:32 AM
Where Green Bay Packers stand, and who's who in NFL free agency

By Tom Pelissero • tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com • March 3, 2010

The NFL’s free-agent signing period begins at 11 p.m. Thursday.

Because of the league’s labor situation, more than 200 fifth- and sixth-year players who could have become unrestricted free agents instead will be restricted, meaning teams that extend a qualifying offer retain the right to match any offer sheet and receive compensation if they don’t.

There also are restrictions on free-agent signings among teams who reached at least the divisional playoff round last season, and there is no salary cap or floor.

Here’s a look at some notable free agents and the Packers’ needs.

Quarterbacks

Unrestricted: Chad Pennington (Dolphins) is coming off shoulder surgery and, at age 33, likely is headed for a backup role. … Former No. 1 pick David Carr (Giants) has been linked to Arizona. … Daunte Culpepper (Lions), A.J. Feeley (Panthers) and Chris Redman (Falcons) have seen better days.

Restricted: Though they’re not certain to start, Jason Campbell (Redskins) and Kyle Orton (Broncos) got first-round tenders. … Kellen Clemens (Jets), Bruce Gradkowski (Raiders), Tarvaris Jackson (Vikings) and Matt Moore (Panthers) have produced mixed results as starters, although Gradkowski and Moore finished last season strong.

Packers outlook: The Packers have a Pro Bowl starter in Aaron Rodgers, and No. 2 Matt Flynn made strides in 2009. They haven’t brought in a veteran backup since 2007, so there’s no reason to think that’ll change.

Running backs

Unrestricted: Chester Taylor (Vikings) is 30, but he has low mileage and reportedly wants $3.5M annually. … Willie Parker (Steelers) and Larry Johnson (Bengals) are in decline.

Restricted: If little Darren Sproles (Chargers) is nontendered as expected, he’ll be hotly pursued as a third-down back and return man… Pierre Thomas (Saints) has a career 5.1-per-carry average and received a second-round tender, as did Leon Washington (Jets), who is coming off a compound leg fracture. … Jerome Harrison (Browns) is the presumed starter in Cleveland. … Ronnie Brown (Dolphins) and Cadillac Williams (Buccaneers) got first-round tenders, while LenDale White (Titans) got a second.

On the street: Thomas Jones (Jets), Jamal Lewis (Browns), LaDainian Tomlinson (Chargers), Brian Westbrook (Eagles).

Packers outlook: Starter Ryan Grant put up solid numbers last season, but he’s not an elite back and escalators could force the Packers to address his contract after the season. Brandon Jackson has emerged on third downs, and there’s no clear No. 3.

Fullbacks

Unrestricted: At 38, four-time Pro Bowl pick Tony Richardson (Jets) is nearing the end. … Justin Griffith (Seahawks) and Jeremi Johnson (Bengals) were starters last season but turn 30 this summer.

Restricted: Le’Ron McClain (Ravens) is a multitalented threat and reportedly received the first-round tender. … Leonard Weaver (Eagles) figures to stay put.

Packers outlook: Korey Hall and Quinn Johnson return, and John Kuhn received the low tender.

Receivers

Unrestricted: Antonio Bryant (Buccaneers) was terrible in 2009 but probably is the best UFA. … At 36, Terrell Owens (Bills) is coming off his worst season in a decade and looking for a third team in three years. … Chris Chambers (Chiefs), Nate Burleson (Seahawks) and Kevin Walter (Texans) are viable No. 2s; Walter has been linked to Baltimore. … Muhsin Muhammad (Panthers) might be finished.

Restricted: Vincent Jackson (Chargers), Malcolm Floyd (Chargers), Miles Austin (Cowboys) and Braylon Edwards (Jets) each will receive the prohibitive high (first- and third-round) tender. … Brandon Marshall (Broncos) and Steve Breaston (Cardinals) reportedly got first-round tenders; Marshall also might be available in a trade.

On the street: Torry Holt (Jaguars).

Packers outlook: Greg Jennings is an ascending star. But Donald Driver is 35, and neither he nor No. 3 James Jones are signed beyond 2010.

Tight ends

Unrestricted: Ben Watson (Patriots) never has put up big numbers, but he’s a former first-round pick and might come on in the right scheme. … L.J. Smith (Ravens) is a liability as a blocker and his receiving numbers have fallen off drastically. … Brandon Manumaleuna (Chargers) could be reunited with Mike Martz in Chicago.

Restricted: Owen Daniels (Texans) is coming off ACL surgery and might sit out training camp to protest his tender offer. … Franchised last season, Bo Scaife (Titans) got a first-round tender worth $4.908M. … Tony Scheffler (Broncos) is on the trading block and got a second-round tender. … David Thomas (Saints) factored in the Super Bowl run and got the low tender.

Packers outlook: Jermichael Finley emerged as a game breaker and by season’s end had leapfrogged veteran Donald Lee, who remains the best blocker. Converted LB Spencer Havner was effective enough, although he’s still learning inline.

Centers

Unrestricted: Kevin Mawae (Titans) made his eighth Pro Bowl last season, but at age 39, he’s probably headed for backup duty. … Casey Rabach (Redskins) also is declining but might re-sign and start.

Restricted: Lyle Sendlein (Cardinals) likely will get a second-round tender. … Chris Spencer (Seahawks) and Chris White (Texans) figure as backups if they stay put.

On the street: John Wade (Raiders), Hank Fraley (Browns).

Packers outlook: Despite losing a training camp competition to Jason Spitz, Scott Wells was the second-best lineman last season and enters the offseason as the starter.

Guards

Unrestricted: Stephen Neal (Patriots) hasn’t played a full season since 2005 but remains a solid run blocker when healthy. … Bobbie Williams (Bengals) has missed only three games the past eight seasons but is 33. … Rex Hadnot (Browns) had been durable before battling knee issues last season. … Chester Pitts (Texans) is coming off knee surgery.

Restricted: All-Pro Jahri Evans (Saints) and Logan Mankins (Patriots) are expected to receive the high tender, while Chris Kuper (Broncos) got the first-rounder. … David Baas (49ers), Nick Cole (Eagles), Richie Incognito (Bills) and Deuce Lutui (Cardinals), among others, also were starters. … Harvey Dahl (Falcons) is coming off ankle and Achilles’ injuries.

Packers outlook: RG Josh Sitton was the Packers’ best offensive lineman last season. Spitz, who is coming off back surgery, is the early favorite in the battle at left guard with Daryn Colledge.

Tackles

Unrestricted: Though his body has broken down, LT Chad Clifton (Packers) remains a top pass blocker when healthy and is the best UFA. … LT Mike Gandy (Cardinals) and RT Tony Pashos (49ers) ended last season on injured reserve. … RT Mark Tauscher (Packers) returned from an ACL injury last October and was adequate.

Restricted: LT Jermon Bushrod (Saints) got the second-round tender after performing well in place of injured former first-round pick LT Jammal Brown, who received the high tender. … LT Marcus McNeill (Chargers), LT Jared Gaither (Ravens), LT Donald Penn (Buccaneers), RT Tyson Clabo (Falcons) and RT Willie Colon (Steelers) all are expected to get the high or first-round tender, while LT Alex Barron (Rams) and RT Jeremy Trueblood (Buccaneers) reportedly will receive the second-rounder. … LT Charlie Johnson (Colts) might be better suited for guard.

On the street: LT Orlando Pace (Bears), LT Tra Thomas (Jaguars).

Packers outlook: There is no clear succession plan at left tackle, so unless the Packers pull a surprise move by throwing picks and a huge contract to lure a top RFA, they’ll probably try to re-sign Clifton and draft a future replacement. T.J. Lang is expected to get the first shot at right tackle if Tauscher isn’t re-signed.

Defensive tackles

Franchised: Aubrayo Franklin (49ers, $7.003M), Ryan Pickett (Packers, $7.003M), Vince Wilfork (Patriots, $7.003M).

Unrestricted: With so many top players off the market, backups and situational players such as Justin Bannan (Ravens), Tank Johnson (Bengals), Cory Redding (Seahawks) and Fred Robbins (Giants) are all that’s left. … Jason Ferguson (Dolphins) and Hollis Thomas (Panthers) might be done.

Restricted: Barry Cofield (Giants) and Kedric Golston (Redskins) got second-round tenders, and Tony Brown (Titans) will get at least that.

Packers outlook: The Packers tagged Pickett and have B.J. Raji, who likely will split time at nose tackle and is due about $6M this year.

Defensive ends

Franchised: Richard Seymour (Raiders, $12.398M).

Unrestricted: Julius Peppers (Panthers) is the biggest name at any position and reportedly turned down a $14M-per-year offer to stay in Carolina. … Chicago, Philadelphia and Washington are possible destinations for Peppers and Kyle Vanden Bosch (Titans), whose old coach, Jim Schwartz, might try to lure him to Detroit. … Adewale Ogunleye (Bears) and Jason Taylor (Dolphins) are nearing the end.

Restricted: Ray Edwards (Vikings) received the first-round tender, and Marcus Spears (Cowboys) likely will get the same.

Packers outlook: RE Cullen Jenkins’ contract is up after this season, and LE Johnny Jolly is an RFA who faces felony drug charges. Even with Raji rotating in and Jarius Wynn perhaps taking on a larger role, there are long-term questions.

Outside linebackers

Unrestricted: Keith Bulluck (Titans) and Pisa Tinoisamoa (Bears) are coming off major knee injuries. … Scott Fujita (Saints) seems likely to stay put. … Aaron Kampman (Packers) is about three months removed from ACL surgery, would prefer to be a 4-3 end and has been linked to Chicago. … Tully Banta-Cain (Patriots) had a career-high 10 sacks last season, while fellow 3-4 veterans Mike Vrabel (Chiefs) and Chike Okeafor (Cardinals) are on the downslide in their mid-30s.

Restricted: Shawne Merriman (Chargers) and Elvis Dumervil (Broncos) got the high tender. … Thomas Howard (Raiders), Clint Ingram (Jaguars) and Rocky McIntosh (Redskins) are established starters. … So is Thomas Davis (Panthers), but he’s coming off a torn ACL.

Packers outlook: ROLB Clay Matthews made the Pro Bowl as a rookie, but unless Kampman returns, there is a hole on the left side. Brad Jones needs to get stronger, Jeremy Thompson’s neck injury has his future up in the air and Brady Poppinga isn’t a good fit.

Inside linebackers

Unrestricted: Karlos Dansby (Cardinals) appears headed for a big-money deal and could end up in another 3-4 scheme in Miami. … Gary Brackett (Colts) probably is the best 4-3 middleman available. … Larry Foote (Lions), Antonio Pierce (Giants) and Paris Lenon (Rams) are declining.

Restricted: DeMeco Ryans (Texans) never has missed a start and probably will join Barrett Ruud (Buccaneers) with the high tender. … Stephen Tulloch (Titans) got the first-round tender.

Packers outlook: A lot of money is committed to Nick Barnett, A.J. Hawk and Brandon Chillar, and Desmond Bishop also sees some action on defense. Hawk and Bishop could hit the market in a year, though.

Cornerbacks

Unrestricted: Franchised last year, Dunta Robinson (Texans) is a solid starter, if not a star. … Physical Leigh Bodden (Patriots) might be headed for a fourth team in four years. … Nick Harper (Titans) is coming off shoulder surgery and, at 35, probably isn’t a starter anymore. … Dre’ Bly (49ers), Walt Harris (49ers), Ty Law (Broncos) and Deshea Townsend (Steelers) aren’t getting younger either.

Restricted: Richard Marshall (Panthers) likely will draw a lot of interest after receiving only the second-round tender. … Carlos Rogers (Redskins) and Fabian Washington (Ravens) never have met expectations and would cost a first-round pick. … William Gay (Steelers) has played a lot in a zone-based scheme but lost his starting job last season. … Stanford Routt (Raiders), a backup, reportedly will receive the high tender.

Packers outlook: Charles Woodson is the reigning defensive player of the year. Al Harris is coming off ACL reconstruction and isn’t signed beyond 2010, and the Packers have only one other established cover man, Tramon Williams.

Safeties

Unrestricted: FS Darren Sharper (Saints) made a big impact on a one-year deal but appears destined to test the market again. … SS Jermaine Phillips (Buccaneers) has ended up on IR two straight years and was arrested for domestic battery in January. … FS Ryan Clark (Steelers) is 30 and never has stayed healthy but is coming off one of his best seasons.

Restricted: FS O.J. Atogwe (Rams) and FS Nick Collins (Packers) are expected to get the high tender. … FS Antoine Bethea (Colts) got the first-round tender, while Dawan Landry (Ravens) likely will get the second-rounder.

On the street: FS Antrel Rolle (Cardinals) is expected to be released.

Packers outlook: Collins may refuse to sign his tender in hopes of getting his long-awaited long-term deal. The team still believes in SS Atari Bigby but likely will bring in competition.

Specialists

Franchised: K Jeff Reed (Pittsburgh, $2.814M), K Olindo Mare (Seattle, $2.814M).

Unrestricted: Shaky playoff performances by K Neil Rackers (Cardinals) and K Shayne Graham (Bengals) might help send them elsewhere. … K Jay Feely (Jets) has expressed interest in staying. … P Mitch Berger (Broncos), P Jeff Feagles (Giants) and P Matt Turk (Texans) have been around forever.

Restricted: K Stephen Gostkowski (Patriots), P Michael Koenen (Falcons) and P Sam Koch (Ravens) all are expected to get at least the second-round tender.

Packers outlook: K Mason Crosby is expected to be back despite taking a step back last season. P Jeremy Kapinos didn’t receive an exclusive-rights tender, leaving only P Tim Masthay, who’s never punted in an NFL game.

Fritz
03-05-2010, 06:31 AM
Clifton's agent is the same agent for the former Skins' LT that just retired this year. So he's been using Washington as his ace in the hole during negotiations with Green Bay. Thompson will almost inevitably have to overpay for Clifton if he wants to keep him here, as I think his agent is pushing for a change of address.

Given the depth of first round talent at LT in this years draft, I don't think I'd do it. Part of moving on is giving a new guy his opportunity, and it's worked out well for us recently all things considered. How could we let Walker go? Why didn't we resign Ahman Green before he went to Houston? OMG we had no proven QB to take the reigns when we traded Favre to the Jets!

Things worked out fine. The sky never fell on Lambeau Field like many were predicting.

Don't get me wrong, I want Clifton back. But not at the price he's asking. Not worth it. Would be more worth it IMO to give a younger guy his shot at a fraction of that cost. Get a LT in the first round, where the LT depth is greatest, and let's keep the train moving.

Thanks, Gun. I read the JSO bit this morning on Kampman and Clifton and my god, it took all of about 15 seconds for panic to set in and the brutal attacks on TT to begin. Everybody grab your pee-pee and whine!

Do I want Clifton back for a year or maybe two? Yes, I do. Do I want TT to do whatever it takes, paying to match what sounds like it might be a 3-4 year deal for lots and lots and lots of dough? A deal that very likely Clifton wouldn't be able to play out? No, I don't.

Let's all wait and see how it plays out.

justanotherpackfan
03-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Looks like these are all done deals:

Peppers to Bears
Kampman to Seahawks
Clifton to Redskins
Vanden Bosch to Detroit

justanotherpackfan
03-05-2010, 09:12 AM
From Schefter:

Saints on verge of making restricted free-agent G Jahri Evans one of the highest paid guards in NFL history. Deal could come any day now.

Filed to ESPN: Colts and Gary Brackett agreed to a five-year contract.

Tony Oday
03-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Lets pick up Mitchie Burger! :)

SkinBasket
03-05-2010, 09:50 AM
sos

HarveyWallbangers
03-05-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm extremely happy to have Ted Thompson as our GM in a non-salary cap NFL. The Packers can't compete in unfettered free agency with the likes of Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder, so it's awesome to know we have a GM that can build a contending team without needing to sign a bunch of free agents.

pbmax
03-05-2010, 10:14 AM
sos
Sign Out Street free agents?

bobblehead
03-05-2010, 10:21 AM

Yea, Shanahan has a history of finding an LT who can't run block and doesn't fit the ZBS at all.....this makes perfect sense (/end sarcasm)

cheesner
03-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Does anyone know if there still be compensatory picks in next years draft for free agents we loose this season? Or does the current CBA status not allow?

get louder at lambeau
03-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Does anyone know if there still be compensatory picks in next years draft for free agents we loose this season? Or does the current CBA status not allow?

I can't claim to actually know, but I don't think that has anything to do with the CBA. I think it's just a league thing.

Lurker64
03-05-2010, 10:47 AM

Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves. The 2011 draft happens after the the current CBA would expire completely. So we'd be facing a lockout, a walkout, or the owners unilaterally instituting work rules and inviting the players to come and participate in which case the draft would be illegal.

Fritz
03-05-2010, 11:22 AM

Peppers to Bears
Kampman to Seahawks
Clifton to Redskins
Vanden Bosch to Detroit

Jumping the gun a bit, are we?

Tony Oday
03-05-2010, 11:29 AM

Peppers to Bears
Kampman to Seahawks
Clifton to Redskins
Vanden Bosch to Detroit

yup except on Vanden Bosch: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Detroit-Lions-sign-former-Tennessee-Titans-DE-Kyle-Vanden-Bosch-030510

Clifton has to meet with the Skins...my guess is he is gone because they will pay him like Flozel a couple of years ago

Peppers agent said he is going to see two other teams besides the bears...whoever gets him will OVERPAY big time...Haynseworth comes to mind here.

Kamp...well I hope the guy gets some cash but I cannot believe that the Vikes aren't going after him really...they like our cast offs.

vince
03-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Do I want Clifton back for a year or maybe two? Yes, I do. Do I want TT to do whatever it takes, paying to match what sounds like it might be a 3-4 year deal for lots and lots and lots of dough? A deal that very likely Clifton wouldn't be able to play out? No, I don't.
This.

I think it has more to do with the years and structure of the deal than the yearly money figure. It's hard see Cliffy lasting two years, much less three or four.

Clffy and his agent may get his guaranteed money up as high as possible, which would make 2010's uncapped year (possibly Cliffy's last) cost a hell of a lot more than whatever his annual figure is.

You can't blame Cliffy for trying to get the best deal he can, and it appears he may be in a good spot, but you can't blame Thompson for looking out for the Packers interests either. Say no to a long-term deal and big upfront money to Clifton. That's exactly the kind of deal to avoid for a declining 33-year-old LT with the injury history he has.

justanotherpackfan
03-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah, but it's fun to speculate. It sounds as though the Peppers signing will be announced today however.

HarveyWallbangers
03-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Clifton to Redskins

I've read conflicting reports. Apparently, teams have drafted LTs like crazy in recent years, and Washington is the only NFC team that is desperate for one. Clifton has been here 10 years, he's a quiet guy that seems to like small town Green Bay, and he probably appreciates a coach that gives him time off every week. If we can get close to Washington's numbers, Clifton may indeed be back.

I think we can handle losing either Tauscher or Clifton, but not both. (I'd rather lose Tauscher though because I like Lang at RT more than LT.)

Either way I see us making OT our #1 priority in the draft. The only difference is whether that high draft pick will be expected to play immediately or not.

mngolf19
03-05-2010, 12:25 PM

Peppers to Bears
Kampman to Seahawks
Clifton to Redskins
Vanden Bosch to Detroit

yup except on Vanden Bosch: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Detroit-Lions-sign-former-Tennessee-Titans-DE-Kyle-Vanden-Bosch-030510

Clifton has to meet with the Skins...my guess is he is gone because they will pay him like Flozel a couple of years ago

Peppers agent said he is going to see two other teams besides the bears...whoever gets him will OVERPAY big time...Haynseworth comes to mind here.

Kamp...well I hope the guy gets some cash but I cannot believe that the Vikes aren't going after him really...they like our cast offs.

Tony, the Vikes can't yet. Top 4 finish means no FA unless you lose one first of equal value or less. Or to guys that we're released.

Lurker64
03-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Tony, the Vikes can't yet. Top 4 finish means no FA unless you lose one first of equal value or less. Or to guys that we're released.

So are the purple faithful eagerly awaiting the departure of Chester Taylor, so they can now sign somebody?

mission
03-05-2010, 01:29 PM
And there it is:

Chet Taylor to the Bears

4 years 12.5, 7 guaranteed per PFT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/chester-taylor-is-a-chicago-bear/

pbmax
03-05-2010, 02:44 PM

So are the purple faithful eagerly awaiting the departure of Chester Taylor, so they can now sign somebody?
There are restrictions on the salary of the deal they do though. See mission's link to pft.

Scratch that. Go to this: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/vikings-can-now-sign-one-ufa/

justanotherpackfan
03-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Schefter:

Arizona is closing in on a long-anticpated deal to trade Pro Bowl wide receiver Anquan Boldin. Leading contender: Baltimore. KC also in.

pbmax
03-05-2010, 05:17 PM
Jim Sorgi cut by Colts according to PFT.

Bring him home. The conversations with Hawk about their alma maters might be awkward, but it'll be worth it.

Joemailman
03-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Okay, brace yourself because this is earth shattering...Packers release Montgomery and Giordano http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/86680302.html

steve823
03-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Ravens get Boldin.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/05/cardinals-pull-trigger-deal-boldin-to-ravens/

pbmax
03-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Okay, brace yourself because this is earth shattering...Packers release Montgomery and Giordano http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/86680302.html
Won't someone please think of the children?

pbmax
03-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Dunta Robinson signs with the Falcons.

Fritz
03-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Lions get Kyle Vandenbosch.

digitaldean
03-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Ravens get Boldin.

I'd say the Ravens got a heck of a deal on that one.

He may have seen his best days behind him after that cheap shot hit vs. the Jets, but he still is a decent weapon as a WR.

imscott72
03-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Boldin to the Ravens..

Edit: didn't see already posted..

steve823
03-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Ravens get Boldin.

I'd say the Ravens got a heck of a deal on that one.

He may have seen his best days behind him after that cheap shot hit vs. the Jets, but he still is a decent weapon as a WR.

Yea that's a hell of a steal. I guess they really wanted to get rid of him. I thought he would be worth at least a 2nd.

Lurker64
03-05-2010, 06:19 PM
After this offseason, are there going to be any Arizona Cardinals left?

Pretty soon, I think they're going to be the Arizona Larry Fitzgerald.

Joemailman
03-05-2010, 06:23 PM
3 Pro Bowl caliber players gone. Great time to be a 49ers fan.

Joemailman
03-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Panthers cut Jake Delhomme. http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Trenches/entry/view/58208/delhomme_out_as_panthers_qb

mission
03-05-2010, 06:44 PM
I think the Boldin situation going for "so little" has a lot to do with the fact that he's not going to come cheap from a contractual standpoint.

Glad he's out of the NFC tbh.

MJZiggy
03-05-2010, 06:51 PM
He's also now with my fave AFC team. Nice.

buchunter03
03-05-2010, 07:10 PM
per adam schefter.. Miami reached agreement with linebacker Karlos Dansby on a 5-year, $43 million deal, including $22 million guaranteed

steve823
03-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Sucks to be a Cardinal fan now. Warner retires, you lose Boldin, you lose Dansby, and they are probably going to lose Rolle. Back to the bottom of the NFL.

pbmax
03-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Panthers cut Jake Delhomme. http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Trenches/entry/view/58208/delhomme_out_as_panthers_qb
Man did he go south fast. And unless Vick gets his wish, Matt Moore will be overdrafted in every fantasy draft in the nation.

pbmax
03-05-2010, 07:29 PM
These are all agent hype numbers, but Wilfork just earned Ryan Pickett some cash.

Adam Schefter of ESPN is reporting that Wilfork and the Patriots have agreed to a five-year, $40 million deal that includes an $18 million signing bonus and $25 million guaranteed.

Mike Reiss of ESPN reports that Wilfork will be the highest-paid nose tackle in the NFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/patriots-make-vince-wilfork-nfls-highest-paid-nose-tackle/

steve823
03-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Giants overpay an overrated Rolle.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/05/rolle-signs-five-year-37m-deal-with-giants/

RashanGary
03-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Wow! Can't believe the dough Rolle got. Collins is going to be tough to sign.

imscott72
03-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Not sure if anyone posted the Peppers numbers in his deal, but here goes..It's crazy..

According to ESPN's John Clayton, Julius Peppers' six-year deal with the Bears is worth a record-setting $91.5 million.
Clayton reports that Peppers could make even more if he hits escalators based on Pro Bowls, sacks, and Defensive POY honors. He's guaranteed $42 million, which is a league record. Peppers is now the highest-paid non-QB in football.

Scott Campbell
03-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Not sure if anyone posted the Peppers numbers in his deal, but here goes..It's crazy..

According to ESPN's John Clayton, Julius Peppers' six-year deal with the Bears is worth a record-setting $91.5 million.
Clayton reports that Peppers could make even more if he hits escalators based on Pro Bowls, sacks, and Defensive POY honors. He's guaranteed $42 million, which is a league record. Peppers is now the highest-paid non-QB in football.

Ouch.

mission
03-06-2010, 01:21 AM

Ouch.

So we think we overpaid with 7.5 guaranteed. This deal has 42 guaranteed.

So that's a ratio of 42:7.5 or 5.6 : 1

Do you guys think Peppers' value to the Bears is 6x greater than Clifton's to the Packers?

I'd say it's a 2 : 1 or 3 : 1 in favor of the Bears, if that, considering the (protecting) A-Rod factor.

And I'm not really arguing that we got a steal of a deal here... I know we didn't. Just thinkin...

Lurker64
03-06-2010, 01:56 AM
The Bears are in desperation mode, since they know that if they don't have a turnaround season this year, everybody in that organization is going to get fired. They have too many holes to really address in one offseason (particularly without 1st or 2nd round draft picks), so they're just going to try everything in hopes of catching lightning in a bottle. Since they lack premium draft picks, pretty much once the initial wave of FA is over, they're done for the offseason.

For as much as they've spent $55 million in guarantees to three players in one day, that offensive line is still suspect, their defense is still old, their WRs are still unimpressive, their secondary is one of the worst in the NFL, and they're committed to a passé defense.

At the very least, the next bears HC is going to have Julius Peppers to work with, whether or not he's motivated at that point.

Fritz
03-06-2010, 06:50 AM
Is it just me, or do lots and lots of these moves smack of desperation?

Rolle...imagine Coughlin's reaction the first time Rolle watches a running back go past him.

Peppers...imagine Rod Marinelli making excuses when Julius takes some plays off after the Bears start the season 2-4.

Bruce Allen must be sitting on top of Danny Snyder.

imscott72
03-06-2010, 09:06 AM
If the CBA gets worked out for 2011 and the cap returns, it's going to get ugly for da Bears..

Bretsky
03-06-2010, 09:21 AM

Rolle...imagine Coughlin's reaction the first time Rolle watches a running back go past him.

Peppers...imagine Rod Marinelli making excuses when Julius takes some plays off after the Bears start the season 2-4.

IMO it's just you

There are not a ton of top of the line impact players to be had for no draft compensation.

If you want to go for the moon...each year....you have to come out swinging right off the bat. Some teams do and some teams don't. Peppers and Roelle....both top of the line talent. No surprise on my end.

sheepshead
03-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Yup, Bears desperation article:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=364026

pbmax
03-06-2010, 01:26 PM
I thought there would be a chance the Packers could sneak into the Dunta Robinson chase after it appeared there was a delay in getting a contract from the Falcons. But at these numbers prove me wrong again:

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Robinson's contract is a six-year, $57 million deal, with $25.5 guaranteed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/06/dunta-robinson-gets-255-million-guaranteed/

Just remember at this point its all agent hype. Very few who are more objective have gotten a look at the contract yet.

Tony Oday
03-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Wow Peppers got that much...that is just plain dumb. I mean DUMB. That is a signing for a young stud DE not one that is over the hill and that takes plays off...this is a worse signing than Haynesworth.

Tony Oday
03-06-2010, 03:11 PM
So how long until we bring in LT or Westbrook :) I would really like to see one of those two splitting time with Grant. Westbrook for sure...what a great guy out of the backfield and if he splits time maybe he stays healthier.

Lurker64
03-06-2010, 04:18 PM
So how long until we bring in LT or Westbrook :) I would really like to see one of those two splitting time with Grant. Westbrook for sure...what a great guy out of the backfield and if he splits time maybe he stays healthier.

I think LT, Jones, and Westbrook are both "after the draft" sorts of free agent signings. Teams will keep them in mind in their back pockets if they don't land a RB of the quality they're hoping for in the draft.

Tony Oday
03-06-2010, 04:21 PM

I think LT, Jones, and Westbrook are both "after the draft" sorts of free agent signings. Teams will keep them in mind in their back pockets if they don't land a RB of the quality they're hoping for in the draft.

which would make it nice to get them now :)

Fritz
03-06-2010, 04:25 PM

IMO it's just you

There are not a ton of top of the line impact players to be had for no draft compensation.

If you want to go for the moon...each year....you have to come out swinging right off the bat. Some teams do and some teams don't. Peppers and Roelle....both top of the line talent. No surprise on my end.

I think Peppers was a top of the line talent a few years ago. He's now as well known for taking plays off as he is for sacking QB's. But he's getting paid like top of the line.

Same with Rolle. If he's so top of the line, why did his team let him walk???

I think they have talent but also have huge question marks - neither seems worth the money he's getting.

RashanGary
03-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Now we get a, "shoot for the moon" mentality in our very own division. This will be a good comparison case to see what method works better.

Brandon494
03-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Now we get a, "shoot for the moon" mentality in our very own division. This will be a good comparison case to see what method works better.

yea works out great for the Skins every year.

Its no doubt Peppers and Taylor make the Bears better but I still like our overall talent better, plus we have a 1st and 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft.

RashanGary
03-06-2010, 06:11 PM
It'll be interesting to see how the Vikings handle this new, non-cap situation.

They've been, historically, one of the cheapest teams in the league, often times choosing to fill the coffers rather than win.

When the new CBA came around, they increased profit sharing and made a minimum spending limit. The Vikings had to spend. Then went out and got Hutchinson and Allen. They extended several core players. They peaked last year.

Now the minimum spending is gone. Now rather than being forced to spend, the Vikings have a choice to spend or fill the coffers.

The Bears, a larger market, with more spending money, are choosing to spend their Chicago cash. The Vikings, in one of the cheapest, poorest areas of the country, something tells me they are going to evolve into one of the teams that spends the least, even if it means not being competitive.

steve823
03-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Kerry Rhodes to the Cardinals

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/06/jets-trade-rhodes-to-cardinals-for-two-draft-picks/

red
03-06-2010, 07:11 PM

They've been, historically, one of the cheapest teams in the league, often times choosing to fill the coffers rather than win.

When the new CBA came around, they increased profit sharing and made a minimum spending limit. The Vikings had to spend. Then went out and got Hutchinson and Allen. They extended several core players. They peaked last year.

Now the minimum spending is gone. Now rather than being forced to spend, the Vikings have a choice to spend or fill the coffers.

The Bears, a larger market, with more spending money, are choosing to spend their Chicago cash. The Vikings, in one of the cheapest, poorest areas of the country, something tells me they are going to evolve into one of the teams that spends the least, even if it means not being competitive.

i remember reading in an article a month or two ago about their stadium issue that the team is flat broke, in fact i think they're in debt

so i could for sure see them getting cheap this year. although going cheap and tanking the season could end up in the team not getting a new stadium and moving to LA

mission
03-06-2010, 07:20 PM

i remember reading in an article a month or two ago about their stadium issue that the team is flat broke, in fact i think they're in debt

so i could for sure see them getting cheap this year. although going cheap and tanking the season could end up in the team not getting a new stadium and moving to LA

awesome.

Brando19
03-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Kerry Rhodes to the Cardinals

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/06/jets-trade-rhodes-to-cardinals-for-two-draft-picks/

That's a bit suprising.

steve823
03-06-2010, 09:43 PM
No not really. Rhodes caused problems with the Jets and they didn't want him.

Plus he's overrated. He had that one good year with the Jets then since then he has been average at best. (Which is why Ryan also benched him)

pbmax
03-06-2010, 10:18 PM
I think you folks may be overselling the poor Vikings angle. That franchise has been more competitive than the Bears since Ditka's best teams and they routinely spend more on coaches and players. The Bear's didn't even both to have a GM in charge until Angelo came around in the last decade. Prior to that, after McCaskey stepped away from his Grandfather's traditional role, they substituted a President who acted like the keeper of a budget more than a football guy. And its the Bear's that have been squirreling away money since their new stadium came online, instead of spending it to improve.

And I do not understand how Minneapolis-St. Paul can be considered one of the poorest areas the NFL works in. Compared to Chicago it looks smaller, but I bet there is more money there than in Jacksonville.

I have no doubt the franchise is not swimming in cash and needs the supplemental revenue to keep in the black. But that hasn't exactly stopped them from spending money. McCombs cut back after the Denny Green/Tice run, but Wilf has spent some serious money.

Other than Taylor, where have the Vikings cut back?

This doesn't even cover giving significant money to old number 4, who may or may not come back for round 2.

cheesner
03-07-2010, 12:44 AM
I think you folks may be overselling the poor Vikings angle. That franchise has been more competitive than the Bears since Ditka's best teams and they routinely spend more on coaches and players. The Bear's didn't even both to have a GM in charge until Angelo came around in the last decade. Prior to that, after McCaskey stepped away from his Grandfather's traditional role, they substituted a President who acted like the keeper of a budget more than a football guy. And its the Bear's that have been squirreling away money since their new stadium came online, instead of spending it to improve.

And I do not understand how Minneapolis-St. Paul can be considered one of the poorest areas the NFL works in. Compared to Chicago it looks smaller, but I bet there is more money there than in Jacksonville.

I have no doubt the franchise is not swimming in cash and needs the supplemental revenue to keep in the black. But that hasn't exactly stopped them from spending money. McCombs cut back after the Denny Green/Tice run, but Wilf has spent some serious money.

Other than Taylor, where have the Vikings cut back?

This doesn't even cover giving significant money to old number 4, who may or may not come back for round 2.
The bears were in the superbowl, not thgat long ago