PDA

View Full Version : WILL THE INVISIBLE SALARY CAP cause SALARIES TO CAVE ?????

Bretsky
03-04-2010, 10:10 PM
HERE IS MY TAKE........DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE ????

WILL SALARIES PLUMMET WITH NO CAP EXISTING ?????

Per the NFL Network, last year the minimum salary a team needed to carry was

Today as of about 3:00 PM only four teams had total salaries over 100,000,000

And millions of dollars were being cut loose left and right to avoid having to overpay players.....roster bonuses...ect. Bruce Allen of the Redskins had salaries falling like flies this afternoon as he is probably gearing for free agency.

The Players have to be terrified

Free Agency is set to take off...but beyond the Julius Peppers of the world,

IMO overall the decent player looking for a new team to latch onto will really suffer in this market. Nick Collins.....he'll have to wait and wait and wait and it might get ugly. Teams will be more frugal. Some owners have huge loots of personal money invested in stadium debts and this may be the year they try to trim things back

IMO 25 of the 32 teams next year have a cap figure short of 100,000,000.........a huge savings.

The decent player....vet....IMO is the one who suffers most.......and that will effect a huge huge number of players.

HOW DO YOU THINK A CAPLESS MARKET EFFECTS THE PLAYERS AND THE NFL OWNERS ??

pbmax
03-05-2010, 12:19 AM
I think the overall balance will be slightly lower. Some teams will spend extravagantly in the uncapped year, burying cap dollars when the don't count. Then if the cap comes back, they are loaded and have room.

Other teams will cut salary and vets, but I think it will be close to even. Be carefull with that $111,000,000 number. That is a cap number not actual dollars spent. So comparison's to this year's actual dollars spent will be very difficult to calculate. Many teams spent cash over the cap amount, but not always.

Fritz
03-05-2010, 06:35 AM
But I do think that on the whole, Bretsky's right. The fringe players will subsidize the stupid salaries of the superstars.

I'm wondering if this will bring a whole new strain of thought to team-buidling: keep the number of superstars to the minimum needed to win, then pay more to the guys in the average range (to get the slightly-above-average ones), and win with a team approach.

I don't know. I'm just wondering.