PDA

View Full Version : Left tackle situation

imscott72
03-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Clifton was offered 5 mill per by the Pack, but he wants 7 per according to Bedard on Twitter. So, we currently have no starting left tackles. Thrill! Are we really going to count on a draft pick to protect Arod's blind side? Shuffle the line around again? Once again Thompson is sticking his head in the sand during free agency. Shouldn't the line be one of the most important areas to address?

retailguy
03-05-2010, 08:36 AM
"We're fine there."

imscott72
03-05-2010, 08:38 AM
"We're fine there."

Who's words are those?

retailguy
03-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Isn't that Ted's standard press corps answer? :?:

imscott72
03-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Isn't that Ted's standard press corps answer? :?:

That's what I thought you meant, but just making sure.. :lol:

BlueBrewer
03-05-2010, 09:42 AM
What other options are out there? IMHO Clifton is not worth 7m per year. He is fading fast and wants one last big payday. Whats the story with Tausher? I am not 100% comfortable with Lang at LT but that may be what happens. Spitz and College arew shopping themselves as well. College can leave and we won't miss a beat but I think we need spitz.

SkinBasket
03-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Once again Thompson is sticking his head in the sand during free agency.

Holy fucking shit. How about we judge how FA went when it ends, not 12 hours after it begins? Looks like Madden GM syndrome is setting in early this year.

pbmax
03-05-2010, 09:58 AM
"We're fine there."
How many years at $7 million would you be willing to go? And how much guaranteed? Bedard's Twitter is VERY short on important details.

As for the Redskins, I am currently quite skeptical. Clifton cannot play LT as Shanahan has wanted the position played since he had Gary Zimmerman. Clifton is a passable run blocker and is not a good fit for the ZBS. It doesn't seem a good match for them, especially since Shanny doesn't have a pet project at QB yet.

It may very well prove to be serious, as Sexton knows what the Redsins want since Samuels retired from the team. But its not a slam dunk.

EDIT: Previous version stated Clifton was "barely passable" as a run blocker. Probably an overstatement.

HarveyWallbangers
03-05-2010, 09:59 AM

Holy fucking shit. How about we judge how FA went when it ends, not 12 hours after it begins? Looks like Madden GM syndrome is setting in early this year.

Yeah, and then Retail with his usual Thompson cheap shot. This is his time of year.

CaliforniaCheez
03-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Clifton is represented by Jimmy Sexton. Jimmy is currently testing the waters.

If he comes back to Green Bay wanting a deal Ted can always lower his bid since it was too much.

Sexton is not a good agent to deal with.

There will be a good prospect in the draft at #23 and #55.

Lang will only be better than he was as a rookie. He will have a full offseason with the Packers.

Ted will not bring in some guy named Klemm in 2010.

pbmax
03-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Clifton is represented by Jimmy Sexton. Jimmy is currently testing the waters.

If he comes back to Green Bay wanting a deal Ted can always lower his bid since it was too much.

Sexton is not a good agent to deal with.

There will be a good prospect in the draft at #23 and #55.

Lang will only be better than he was as a rookie. He will have a full offseason with the Packers.

Ted will not bring in some guy named Klemm in 2010.
The Packers haven't had trouble with Sexton, have they? He was Freeman's agent and that was a pretty smooth time.

Who was Levens agent during his holdout?

bobblehead
03-05-2010, 10:15 AM
When you factor in the 2 games cliffy will miss it projects to 8 million a year, and still needing somene to man the position besides cliffy.

Anyone who bags on TT for not locking up an aging player for that players perception of his value has an agenda.

packrat
03-05-2010, 10:42 AM
I hope Clifton leaves and the sooner the better. It forces TT to address the problem. We are one reliable LT from a good line. Clifton ain't it.

pbmax
03-05-2010, 10:44 AM
The Bedard Tweet was actually off a report from Jason Cole at Yahoo. He had Clifton's request at closer to $7 million per and 20 million guaranteed for 3 years.

The Green Bay Press Gazette (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20100304/PKR01/100304145/1058/A-late-push-to-hold-onto-LT-Chad-Clifton) has this nugget: "One NFL agent said Clifton’s agent, Jimmy Sexton, is seeking a deal similar to Dallas left tackle Flozell Adams, who two years ago signed a six-year contract that averages $7.17 million and includes $16 million in guaranteed money. Adams was 32 at the time and in better health than Clifton is at 33."

It seems a stretch for an older and more injured player to demand more guaranteed money than the comparable contract in a shorter period of time.

Lurker64
03-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Really, anybody who signs Clifton to a 5 year deal, or whatever is being reported, is going to end up looking at that in retrospect as a colossal failure. Clifton doesn't have 5 years left, I'm not sure he has 2 years left.

Fritz
03-05-2010, 11:29 AM

I was going to congratulate Scott and his ilk on their extreme patience, waiting so long to bag on Thompson. They gave the guy 12 hours, Skin. And according to another poster, Clifton to the Skins and Kampman to the Seahogs are "done deals."

It's clear that Thompson has failed. Everybody says so. Why do you insist on waiting until the guys actually sign somewhere else and Rodgers is getting brutalized next season thanks to our yet-to-be-determined-but-obviously-a-bum-of-a-left-tackle?

SkinBasket
03-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't know why I'm still surprised each year when there's a few people who believe our GM can sign anyone and/or everyone that particular fan believes are the answer to a guaranteed Superbowl victory within the first 2 hours of free agency. And if it doesn't happen, it's not because there's 31 other teams or because the player doesn't reciprocate the interest the team does or the player isn't worth the money they sign for or doesn't fit the team. It's because our GM is a bum.

retailguy
03-05-2010, 12:04 PM
"We're fine there."
How many years at $7 million would you be willing to go? And how much guaranteed? Bedard's Twitter is VERY short on important details.

Wasn't the point of my comment.

I said in another thread that I didn't think Cliffy was worth more than the $5m offered. My frustrations center around consistent problems for 5 years running now on the line, and no backup LT on the roster of ANY capability (if you believe the coaching staff that Lang doesn't project well there).

I was answering Scott's question of "shouldn't the line be a priority" with Ted's stock press corps answer. Nothing more to read into it than that.

Now to address Harvey's inane point... :roll:

swede
03-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I don't know why I'm still surprised each year when there's a few people who believe our GM can sign anyone and/or everyone that particular fan believes are the answer to a guaranteed Superbowl victory within the first 2 hours of free agency. And if it doesn't happen, it's not because there's 31 other teams or because the player doesn't reciprocate the interest the team does or the player isn't worth the money they sign for or doesn't fit the team. It's because our GM is a bum.

Snow melts, flowers bloom, free agency arrives, and dopes spring eternal.

retailguy
03-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah, and then Retail with his usual Thompson cheap shot. This is his time of year.

And your "time of the year" to criticize and ignore my point or take it completely out of context (again).

I was responding, tongue in cheek with Ted's stock answer to every personnel related question.

If you laud him for not giving away any information, then you shouldn't be so offended that we parrot back his standard answer. It was my way of saying "no news on that until training camp". Just deal with it.

Do I think it's stupid? Of course. Do I expect newspaper reports about who we're signing? No. But, you know, if we're building from within, shouldn't we have a backup LT on the roster since ours is older and has had consistent knee problems for 3 years running now?

Shouldn't we be a bit concerned that the OL has been the most glaring problem our team has faced for the past 5 years, and the only thing that has been consistent is inconsistent play?

Shouldn't we be concerned that the only backup that currently projects to a starting role is Lang? Deitrich Smith hasn't played much, if at all. Barbre was a disaster.

Spitz has been woefully inconsistent. Started as a RG, but couldn't do it. Then we're told that "his best position" might be center. Won the camp battle (barely), over a "over achieving midget" and then got hurt (again).

Meanwhile Colledge resembles a turnstile more than an OL. Yet we still hear that "last year" he "graded out as our best lineman". The first 7 games of each of the last three years have been abject failures and we're still talking about who the best lineman is? WHO CARES?

Sitton is the only one currently signed who is worth a shit, and Lang is the only backup with legitimate reason to believe he'll help.

So if you want to continue to "harp" about my motives, fine, but you are making yourself look stupid. That's Ted's stock answer to the media. You can't deny that. I told you and the rest of the forum what he'd say if he had the chance. Just deal with it. That's our GM, who, however you'd like to spin it, has NO LT of any substance on the roster. And no plan of any type we can rely on. Does he have a plan? Hope so, but the last 5 years don't give me any confidence that it is "under control".

packrat
03-05-2010, 12:52 PM
We need depth, but other than at LT, we are not in bad shape. Wells is better than average, Sitton and Lang have potential to be better than average. Spitz is at least average. But the killer LT is a necessity and I think the way to solve it is with a RFA and a lower round draftee. If Clifton moves, that becomes a necessity.

get louder at lambeau
03-05-2010, 12:56 PM

Annoying, isn't it?

Lurker64
03-05-2010, 01:02 PM
We need depth, but other than at LT, we are not in bad shape. Wells is better than average, Sitton and Lang have potential to be better than average. Spitz is at least average. But the killer LT is a necessity and I think the way to solve it is with a RFA and a lower round draftee. If Clifton moves, that becomes a necessity.

If we lose Clifton, there are a number of strategies available to our GM:

1) Tra Thomas is set to be released by the Jaguars. We could either wait for him to get cut, or get him for modest trade value.

2) Baltimore LT Jared Gaither is tendered for a first. He might be worth that alone, but that first round tender is basically an invitation to negotiate.

3) St. Louis LT Alex Barron, was tendered at a 2nd round pick. That too might be worth it, but a modest trade could also be worked out. St. Louis can use everything.

4) Hold out, and pray that you get a tackle at #23 that can play as a rookie.

steve823
03-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Whoever our LT is, he's going to have to play good. I have confidence in TT though.

red
03-05-2010, 02:49 PM

If we lose Clifton, there are a number of strategies available to our GM:

1) Tra Thomas is set to be released by the Jaguars. We could either wait for him to get cut, or get him for modest trade value.

2) Baltimore LT Jared Gaither is tendered for a first. He might be worth that alone, but that first round tender is basically an invitation to negotiate.

3) St. Louis LT Alex Barron, was tendered at a 2nd round pick. That too might be worth it, but a modest trade could also be worked out. St. Louis can use everything.

4) Hold out, and pray that you get a tackle at #23 that can play as a rookie.

i'm starting to think that gaither might be a pretty good option

he's young and he's already proven he can play LT. x chances are the first tier of tackles will be gone by #23, and only projects will still be around

trading 23 to get a sure fire tackle might not be a bad option

steve823
03-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Gather is more of a run blocking Tackle then pass blocking. Considering we need to protect Rodgers from getting sacked all the time from peppers and allen I don't think it would be a good choice.

Alex Barron might be more logical, but still he hasn't lived up to expectations and commits a lot of penalties.

red
03-05-2010, 02:59 PM
this might come down to what the coaches and tt think of tj lang

i thought he looked good when he was in there

maybe there's a chance the organization feels they already have our LT on the team?

if thats the case, then i would like to see tausch signed so we don't go into next year with two new, young tackles.

then maybe draft a tackle in the 2nd or 3rd or so in the draft to take over the other side in two years

steve823
03-05-2010, 03:02 PM
I was under the impression that Lang was our future RT..but maybe they feel he could be a good LT. Not really sure what goes on in their minds.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see our 1st pick be a non-tackle. No point of reaching to grab a tackle that isn't worth the pick.

Tony Oday
03-05-2010, 03:03 PM

Any chance we could trade a 2 and 4 for him instead?

Brandon494
03-05-2010, 03:08 PM
So you guys still think we aren't going to select a OT with our 1st round pick?

steve823
03-05-2010, 03:11 PM

No I could see it happening, but there's a possibility of it not happening too. You never know with TT.

I think TT will grab a tackle without a doubt if a good one is available ,but he won't reach for one if the top ones are gone.

Tony Oday
03-05-2010, 03:13 PM

No I could see it happening, but there's a possibility of it not happening too. You never know with TT.

I think TT will grab a tackle without a doubt if a good one is available ,but he won't reach for one if the top ones are gone.

he is going QB ;) Tim Tebow at 23rd ;) hehe

red
03-05-2010, 03:14 PM

we aren't going to reach for a guy that TT doesn't think is worth that 1st

the problem with letting both clifton and tausch walk is that we only have one possible starting tackle on our roster (lang)

we either have to draft one and start him right away

trade for one

or pick up a free agent, and i don't see an option out on the market

so unless we get a special guy at 23, we need to trade for a starter, or else its going to be an ugly season (if we lets mark and chad both walk)

steve823
03-05-2010, 03:18 PM
There's a chance that he he may trade up for a Tackle. With the addition of Peppers, plus Clifton probably leaving we are in desperate need of one. Last year was a good example of drafting impact players instead of trading down like he has in the past.

The problem is that this draft is so deep so trading up wouldn't be too smart.

Brandon494
03-05-2010, 03:29 PM

the problem with letting both clifton and tausch walk is that we only have one possible starting tackle on our roster (lang)

trade for one

so unless we get a special guy at 23, we need to trade for a starter, or else its going to be an ugly season (if we lets mark and chad both walk)

You keep saying TT isnt going to reach for a guy that isnt worth a 1st round pick. This draft is loaded with OT talent, I ranked 6 OT prospects who are worth a 1st round pick.

Clifton is gone but I see Taushcer coming back. So we'll end up drafting a OT with the #23 pick to play LT, Taushcer will start at RT, and Lang will backup both tackle spots.

It will come down to Brian Bulaga, Bruce Campbell, or Charles Brown I believe or we might trade down and pick up Jason Fox later on.

steve823
03-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Bulaga will most likely be long gone by then. Hopefully qbs and other positions rise because then we have a better chance of landing a better tackle.

red
03-05-2010, 03:35 PM

trade for one

You keep saying TT isnt going to reach for a guy that isnt worth a 1st round pick. This draft is loaded with OT talent, I ranked 6 OT prospects who are worth a 1st round pick.

Clifton is gone but I see Taushcer coming back. So we'll end up drafting a OT with the #23 pick to play LT, Taushcer will start at RT, and Lang will backup both tackle spots.

It will come down to Brian Bulaga, Bruce Campbell, or Charles Brown I believe or we might trade down and pick up Jason Fox later on.

yeah you rank 6, i rank 5, tt might rank 2 or 3 or 10

theres some talk that teams have only a 4th round grade on bruce campbell because when you actually watch him play, he's just not that good. the guy from rutgers is a fat lazy ass who hates working out.

some think charles brown is just way too damn small and doesn't try hard enough

just because our mock drafts and magazines say they like a guy doesn't mean the guys that really make the decisions feel the same way.

i', convinced 95% of the mock drafts out there are just based on other mock drafts. very few of those people actually know what they're doing

Brandon494
03-05-2010, 03:46 PM

trade for one

theres some talk that teams have only a 4th round grade on bruce campbell because when you actually watch him play, he's just not that good. the guy from rutgers is a fat lazy ass who hates working out.

just because our mock drafts and magazines say they like a guy doesn't mean the guys that really make the decisions feel the same way.

i', convinced 95% of the mock drafts out there are just based on other mock drafts. very few of those people actually know what they're doing

I don't go by mock drafts, I'm a HUGE college football fan and actually know what Im talking about.

Honestly I don't want Bruce Campbell but its no way he drops out of the 1st round. He is a freak of athlete but not a football player. With the right OL coach he could become a star, too bad we don't have a OL coach who could do that.

Charles Brown is a former TE who is a good pass blocker and a hard worker but needs to improve his strength and run blocking, but its not like Clifton was that great of a run blocker. Also Brown is a good fit in the zone blocking scheme.

"That guy from Rutgers" Anthony Davis is pretty much the same player as Andre Smith and don't see him dropping to us.

Brian Bulaga is the guy I really want and I don't think its out of the question that he might drop a few spots. Right now I don't think he is a top 15 pick but could go anywhere right after that.

Lurker64
03-05-2010, 03:49 PM
It's also worth considering that certain low tenders are simply an invitation to negotiate. Denver isn't necessarily looking for a 2009 first round pick for Brandon Marshall (though they'd happily take one), the first round tender is just a "hey, he's available".

When it comes to a guy like Gaither, Thompson could easily work out a deal that involves a player and/or a future draft pick. So, we could give up James Jones and a 2011 third for Gaither, say (I have no idea if this is fair, I just want to illustrate that guys are available for prices other than their tenders.)

red
03-05-2010, 04:15 PM

trade for one

I don't go by mock drafts, I'm a HUGE college football fan and actually know what Im talking about.

Honestly I don't want Bruce Campbell but its no way he drops out of the 1st round. He is a freak of athlete but not a football player. With the right OL coach he could become a star, too bad we don't have a OL coach who could do that.

Charles Brown is a former TE who is a good pass blocker and a hard worker but needs to improve his strength and run blocking, but its not like Clifton was that great of a run blocker. Also Brown is a good fit in the zone blocking scheme.

"That guy from Rutgers" Anthony Davis is pretty much the same player as Andre Smith and don't see him dropping to us.

Brian Bulaga is the guy I really want and I don't think its out of the question that he might drop a few spots. Right now I don't think he is a top 15 pick but could go anywhere right after that.

so because you're a fan you watched every single snap of every game of every prospect in this years draft. paying attention to every player on the field for that snap and evaluating them all

correct?

Lurker64
03-05-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm a big fan of college football, and I've watched a lot of games with these guys, and I follow the draft very closely but I don't have any idea what's going to happen in April. I can only go on "what would make sense" and as we all know, that's not necessarily what's going to happen.

It's consistently pretty impossible to predict picks in the 20s in the NFL draft.

Brandon494
03-05-2010, 04:34 PM

trade for one

so because you're a fan you watched every single snap of every game of every prospect in this years draft. paying attention to every player on the field for that snap and evaluating them all

correct?

Whatever man, be a smartass about it.

b bulldog
03-05-2010, 04:46 PM
I have no faith in TT in terms of making our line better. If he allows Cliffy to go, he better have a plan in place to rectify our gaping hole at LT. What would have last year have looked like if 65 wasn't there to save TT's butt? TT's best move was drafting 12, now he should do what he can to keep him upright.

Joemailman
03-05-2010, 05:19 PM
I think people are underestimating Lang. If he has a chance to focus on the LT position through training camp, which was not the case last year, I think he could do the job. I don't think it's his best position, but he would be adequate.

At any rate, Clifton hasn't signed with Washington yet. If Washington doesn't want to significantly beat the Packers offer, he could still end up here.

Brandon494
03-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Its the Redskins and their LT just retired....they are going to pay.

pbmax
03-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Explain the match between Shanahan and Clifton. Not a match made in heaven, scheme-wise. This is not a slam dunk.

Joemailman
03-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Keep in mind that Snyder brought in Bruce Allen as GM. It's the first time since Snyder took over that anyone has had the GM title. Things may be different there. They've been quiet today, which is a change from the past on the first day of free agency.

Brandon494
03-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Explain the match between Shanahan and Clifton. Not a match made in heaven, scheme-wise. This is not a slam dunk.

True but aren't we running a similiar scheme?

Trust me, Clifton will be a Redskin. His agent is looking for one last big payday and the Skins are just the team to give it to him.

Brandon494
03-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Keep in mind that Snyder brought in Bruce Allen as GM. It's the first time since Snyder took over that anyone has had the GM title. Things may be different there. They've been quiet today, which is a change from the past on the first day of free agency.

Trust me I know all about the Skins, I live right outside of Washington and while Allen will slow Snyder down as far as spending I doubt he will get him to stop cold turkey.

pbmax
03-05-2010, 05:39 PM

Trust me, Clifton will be a Redskin. His agent is looking for one last big payday and the Skins are just the team to give it to him.
We run that scheme part time and we make allowances for Clifton. He rarely has the reach or cutoff block without help on the backside when we run zone. His agent is also looking for leverage.

Joemailman
03-05-2010, 05:39 PM

Trust me I know all about the Skins, I live right outside of Washington and while Allen will slow Snyder down as far as spending I doubt he will get him to stop cold turkey.

You do seem to know a lot.

imscott72
03-05-2010, 05:42 PM

I was going to congratulate Scott and his ilk on their extreme patience, waiting so long to bag on Thompson. They gave the guy 12 hours, Skin. And according to another poster, Clifton to the Skins and Kampman to the Seahogs are "done deals."

It's clear that Thompson has failed. Everybody says so. Why do you insist on waiting until the guys actually sign somewhere else and Rodgers is getting brutalized next season thanks to our yet-to-be-determined-but-obviously-a-bum-of-a-left-tackle?

After the beating Arod took this year I'm a little presumptuous ok? :lol:

pbmax
03-05-2010, 05:44 PM

You do seem to know a lot.
I'll bet your 40 time is sneaky fast. :D

imscott72
03-05-2010, 05:44 PM
I was under the impression that Lang was our future RT..but maybe they feel he could be a good LT. Not really sure what goes on in their minds.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see our 1st pick be a non-tackle. No point of reaching to grab a tackle that isn't worth the pick.

I wouldn't give Cliffy 7 mill per either, but the thought of Lang vs. Peppers and Allen twice a year scares the crap out of me and I'm not under center.

sheepshead
03-05-2010, 05:47 PM
All I know is Peppers is one more guy we gotta block and we're not too good at blocking people.

imscott72
03-05-2010, 05:50 PM
I have no faith in TT in terms of making our line better. If he allows Cliffy to go, he better have a plan in place to rectify our gaping hole at LT. What would have last year have looked like if 65 wasn't there to save TT's butt? TT's best move was drafting 12, now he should do what he can to keep him upright.

Exactly, and I think it's foolish to expect a rookie fresh off the draft to protect Arod's blind side next season. I'd much rather see Lang at LT, Tausch at RT, then a draft pick as backup. Even then it's stretching it thin with Tausch's age. It's probably being optimistic thinking he's going to go all 16 games.

sheepshead
03-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Theres no way were starting the year with a rook at LT.

steve823
03-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Lang Spitz Wells Sitton Tauscher ..that's my guess unless they get Iupati or a tackle that they feel is good enough to start as a rookie.

Fritz
03-05-2010, 06:08 PM

Do you have some inside source on this?

Joemailman
03-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Lang Spitz Wells Sitton Tauscher ..that's my guess unless they get Iupati or a tackle that they feel is good enough to start as a rookie.

With the benefit of hindsight...

Clifton/Lang/Wells/Sitton/Tauscher

Gunakor
03-05-2010, 09:37 PM

I don't think they sit Spitz, having tendered him so high.

My guess is Cliffy/Spitz/Wells/Sitton/Lang. I don't think they resign Tauch now that Cliffy's on board and they have Lang waiting.

steve823
03-05-2010, 09:41 PM

My guess is Cliffy/Spitz/Wells/Sitton/Lang. I don't think they resign Tauch now that Cliffy's on board and they have Lang waiting.

Agreed. I don't see them resigning Tausher either. We just need to draft a LT for the future and we should be set.

What do you guys think about Wells? I think he's average but do you think they'll try to upgrade after we get a LT?

HarveyWallbangers
03-05-2010, 10:21 PM

Not sure I understand. They tendered him the same as Colledge, and they were virtually obligated too because Spitz was going to make the same amount of money anyways because of playing time incentives.

RashanGary
03-05-2010, 10:29 PM
We'll just have to see how it shakes out.

Clifton and Sitton are the only sure bets at their positions.

Colledge could get beat out by Spitz, Lang or a rookie.
Wells could get beat out by Spitz
Tausher could be replaced by Lang

I know the Barbre experiment failed miserably and Giacomini hasn't shown much, but neither did Wahle and Rivera early. There's still a slight chance with those guys.

I'm hoping for a young, promising LT drafted within the first two or three rounds and some more development from within.

Gunakor
03-06-2010, 02:31 AM

Not sure I understand. They tendered him the same as Colledge, and they were virtually obligated too because Spitz was going to make the same amount of money anyways because of playing time incentives.

Well it leaves the door open for Colledge to win that starting spot. Competition is a good thing. He probably won't win it, but it's nice for the Packers to give him an opportunity to.

The Packers were obligated to tender Colledge at that level as well, as his tender is basically the minimum salary he'd be due this year anyway. The only alternative would be to tender him at the first round level, or not tender him at all. Either would have been a huge mistake IMO.

Don't forget that, though he looked bad at LT last year, he would have been the only player on the roster with any significant experience at LT should Clifton not have been resigned. And if Tausch isn't resigned, the only guy other than Colledge with ANY experience at LT would be playing RT in Tauscher's place. Or if Lang moved over to LT in place of Clifton, Colledge could compete for the RT job with Barbre in place of Tauscher. I mean, Barbre didn't look any better at tackle last season than Colledge did, did he? So, without knowing whether Clifton or Tauscher would be back and without knowing how the draft and FA would pan out, Colledge had to be tendered if only to ensure us of a competiton at LT and RT next season to put the best players we could out there even if the draft and FA don't fall nearly the way we want them to.

Fritz
03-06-2010, 06:35 AM

Trust me, Clifton will be a Redskin. His agent is looking for one last big payday and the Skins are just the team to give it to him.[i]

Note to self: When Brando says "trust me," don't.

MJZiggy
03-06-2010, 08:05 AM

I know the Barbre experiment failed miserably and Giacomini hasn't shown much, but neither did Wahle and Rivera early. There's still a slight chance with those guys.

I'm hoping for a young, promising LT drafted within the first two or three rounds and some more development from within.

Not much of a chance with Giacomini since he got cut this week.

RashanGary
03-06-2010, 08:09 AM
I didn't know Giacomini got cut.

Bretsky
03-06-2010, 08:09 AM

Not much of a chance with Giacomini since he got cut this week.

You might have the Italians mixed up. I thought it was Giordano....or whatever his name is....that crappy safety who plays defense like Bush...that was cut

Bretsky
03-06-2010, 08:10 AM
I didn't know Giacomini got cut.

I think MJ might have been in wild interactions with multiple girls when she posted that :lol:

Bossman641
03-06-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm gonna throw this out there regarding Colledge.

Does anyone think his future could be at right tackle? He has filled in there from time to time in the past, and performed real well against the Lions 2 years back (yes I know it's the Lions). They could then move Lang inside to left guard. I just don't know if Colledge would be enough of a power RT. There is really a lot of flexibility within the line.

I would love to know the Packers coaches thoughts regarding the OL, specifically their long term plans for Lang. Didn't he originally start out practicing at one of the guard spots last year?

red
03-06-2010, 11:58 AM
i think spitz is our starting center, not wells

pbmax
03-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Yes to both the last two posts.

retailguy
03-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Colledge's future is the manager of a Dairy Queen.

Lang projected as a guard initially, I think. However, the coaching staff said that he projected well as a right tackle at the end of last season.

He has promise and should be given a shot

Brandon494
03-06-2010, 02:27 PM

Trust me, Clifton will be a Redskin. His agent is looking for one last big payday and the Skins are just the team to give it to him.[i]

Note to self: When Brando says "trust me," don't.

Ladies, don't listen to Fritz

haha I'm glad I was wrong.

I live in Richmond, VA and pretty much all my friends are redskin fans plus they are always on TV here so I'm force to watch them a lot even though I can't stand them.

You have to admit though when the Redskins usually go after a FA they get him. I think Peppers to the Bears def put the pressure on TT to get a deal done.

Brandon494
03-06-2010, 02:29 PM

Lang projected as a guard initially, I think. However, the coaching staff said that he projected well as a right tackle at the end of last season.

I don't understand why they want to play Lang at guard, to me RT seems to be his natural position.

imscott72
03-06-2010, 02:48 PM

I don't understand why they want to play Lang at guard, to me RT seems to be his natural position.

I don't see Lang at guard unless Tausch comes back and Spitz moves to center, but even then I don't really like it. This moving guys around all the time has to stop at some point.

retailguy
03-06-2010, 02:54 PM

Slow down.... read clearly. this is what I said, hence the use of the word "INITIALLY".

Brandon494
03-06-2010, 03:08 PM

Slow down.... read clearly. this is what I said, hence the use of the word "INITIALLY".

haha ok man, I was actually going by what MM said but thanks for clearing it up for me. They were saying either LG or RT would be his best position but I would rather if they just worked him at RT instead of moving him all over the place.

CaptainKickass
03-06-2010, 11:04 PM
I really believe that Wells is/should/will be the starter. I've been saying this for what, 3 years?

Wells earned the starting position long before Spitz.

I still don't know what exactly Spitz "did" to beat Wells for the Center spot last off season. other than be "taller". I thought Wells not only took the "demotion" well, he sat very patiently on the bench, never saying a word about it like a good team player.

He also came back in as the starter again due to injury and performed more than admirably. I also think he may deserve some unheralded credit for the vastly improved offensive line, along side of Taush and Cliffy , after the seasons dismal starting performance.

I feel like he has proven that he belongs in the NFL from a performance, durability, and accountability viewpoint.

I am glad he is on this team, it would be bad to loose him.

RashanGary
03-06-2010, 11:19 PM

The scouts in McGinn's 'rating the Packers free agents' piece thought Colledge was your run of the mill NFL OL.

You're so biased, you ignore anything to support your belief. Colledge isn't a good player, but he's an average lineman. He belongs in the NFL and will be there for at least 5 years, mark my words on that. You are wrong about Colledge not belonging in the NFL. Dead wrong.

RashanGary
03-06-2010, 11:23 PM
And I agree with capn kickass. Some of us were wrong on Wells. He had that tough injured year, but since then has been solid in there. He proved he belonged last year. Spitz is probably going to be on the bench next year but if he's healthy he's a good, quality 3-position reserve.

Joemailman
03-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Wells will be the starter, along with Clifton and Sitton. The questions now are whether Tauscher will be back, and if so, whether Lang will be given the opportunity to battle for a starting job at LG or RT.

Packgator
03-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Wells will be the starter

Maybe not. Don Banks thinks the Pack will select UF center Maurkice Pouncey. The word on Pouncey is that he will start from day one (wherever he ends up.) He can also play guard.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/03/04/mock.draft.3/index.html

Joemailman
03-07-2010, 07:06 AM
If the Packers draft Pouncey, it will be to play Guard. He won't be high enough on their board to be drafted in the 1st round if they just see him as a Center.

3irty1
03-07-2010, 09:49 AM
If I had to speculate I'd still guess the Packers will take an OT in the first. Trent Williams is perhaps the best fit as he should be a dominating RT from day one with enough upside to be an elite LT when Clifton hangs it up. Bulaga is probably the safest pick for the Packers. I doubt either will be around at #23. Charles Brown will be though and his fit is pretty good too. He's got a good frame for a zone blocking LT and his pass pro technique is text book. We could probably trade down 10 spots and still have a shot at him due to concerns about his size and just the general depth at the position.

This is the first offseason the Packers will not be viewing College as our LT of the future. IMO Lang would be best suited for LG with the ability to backup the LT position. Aside from Clifton there really isn't an NFL LT type player on the roster. Meredith was this type of player last year but for whatever reason that didn't work out. We'll be looking for someone else with his potential.

Fritz
03-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Hey, if the Pack drafts Brown can we all call him Charlie?

get louder at lambeau
03-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Hey, if the Pack drafts Brown can we all call him Charlie?

He's 6'5" 303 lbs.

You'll call him "Yes sir, Mr. Brown sir," and you'll like it. :wink:

Fritz
03-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Chuckie Baby, whaazzup buddy?

Hey, Lucy pull the ball away from you lately?