PDA

View Full Version : Da Bears goin nutty in FA

imscott72
03-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Peppers, Chester Taylor, in for visits and Manumaleuna signed just to get started. I know they don't have any picks in the first 2 rounds but dayum! And here we sit with no LT to face Peppers. Can't wait! :roll:

Scott Campbell
03-05-2010, 09:01 AM
And they signed a TE too.

Tony Oday
03-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Peppers, Chester Taylor, in for visits and Manumaleuna signed just to get started. I know they don't have any picks in the first 2 rounds but dayum! And here we sit with no LT to face Peppers. Can't wait! :roll:

Wow a 3 yard and a cloud of dust back and a DE that takes most plays off, I think we are ok here.

pbmax
03-05-2010, 10:04 AM
The Bears are often a team that holds its purse strings tight. They have wanted that TE since they signed Martz to be OC and he needs his TEs to pass block.

But when was the last time they opened the vault for a FA? Cutler was a trade and at QB, that would seem to be different situation. That, plus the fact that Peppers wanted to be an OLB on a 3-4 team makes this a weird match.

And who moves on the DL? Alex Brown is the RE, the position Peppers most often lined up at. Who plays on the Left?

bobblehead
03-05-2010, 10:17 AM

Can we wait to get that LT to block peppers until the bears actually...you know...have peppers??

get louder at lambeau
03-05-2010, 10:58 AM
But when was the last time they opened the vault for a FA?

Orlando Pace got 3 years, $15 mil.

Spaulding
03-05-2010, 11:49 AM

Ouch, wonder how much was signing bonus and first year salary as he was brutal for the one year he played for them.

Scott Campbell
03-05-2010, 12:35 PM

Ouch, wonder how much was signing bonus and first year salary as he was brutal for the one year he played for them.

But by forcing the team to cut him, Pace protects himself moving forward even if we're talking about only $667,000, the pro-rated portion of the $1 million signing bonus he received in the $15 million, three-year contract.

Pace earned $6 million in 2009 ($1 million signing bonus, $3.4 million roster bonus, $250,000 workout bonus, $1.35 million base salary). He was on the books for $4 million this season with the bulk coming in base salary and another $250,000 workout bonus.

retailguy
03-05-2010, 12:38 PM
The Bears are often a team that holds its purse strings tight. They have wanted that TE since they signed Martz to be OC and he needs his TEs to pass block.

But when was the last time they opened the vault for a FA? Cutler was a trade and at QB, that would seem to be different situation. That, plus the fact that Peppers wanted to be an OLB on a 3-4 team makes this a weird match.

And who moves on the DL? Alex Brown is the RE, the position Peppers most often lined up at. Who plays on the Left?

Ogunleye plays on the left, rumor has it he's done. Peppers can be a dangerous addition, but I think Harris might be a shell of his former self.

This makes the line better, but at a steep price. Kampman would have been a better deal. Direct plug-in for Ogunleye. (That's good for us).

Scott Campbell
03-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Who are the Bears going to throw to if they take Olsen out of the mix?

Spaulding
03-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Take with grain of salt but appears the Peppers lottery is about over with the Bears deciding to ante up for him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/report-peppers-taking-physical-deal-is-imminent/

Not sure how I feel about as I think the cost is a big mistake for the bears. Heck they'd have over 20 mil tied up in two defensive lineman with more pressing holes elseware. Then again if the no cap continues, guess it doesn't matter if the ownership is fine with the added cost.

mission
03-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Bears fans (like my uncle) are so excited right now... this is a guy who still plays cards with Ditka so not a complete idiot, just completely blinded by his love for the team. He told me today to expect the division title from them! lol

What a joke, all these moves reek of ultimate desperation. Can't wait to see the long term effects of their more recent (and future) moves.

pack4to84
03-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Lovie and Jerry are on the hot seat. They both know this is it. Why not go all in this time. If this fails what could either of them have done differently now. Bear fans are all on board with this.

mission
03-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Lovie and Jerry are on the hot seat. They both know this is it. Why not go all in this time. If this fails what could either of them have done differently now. Bear fans are all on board with this.

I hear you and agree but it's like they're going all in with Jack-6 offsuit... you can push but don't expect to double up!! :lol:

mission
03-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Chet Taylor to the Bears

4 years 12.5, 7 guaranteed per PFT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/chester-taylor-is-a-chicago-bear/

sheepshead
03-05-2010, 01:34 PM
So will the Vikings sign Adrian Peterson, so they have both of 'em?

ThunderDan
03-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Chet Taylor to the Bears

4 years 12.5, 7 guaranteed per PFT

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/chester-taylor-is-a-chicago-bear/

Wonder if Bears are kicking themselves for letting Thomas Jones go for Benson. And then letting Benson go to CIN.

The Bears got 1,773 yards and 10 TD out of Benson as the 4th pick in the draft.

denverYooper
03-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Schefter now reports Peppers and Bears have agreed on terms

sheepshead
03-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Theyre going ape shit on sports radio down here. am 1000 and 670 you can get them in the midwest or online

always funny, theyre making a place in the trophy case at Halas Hall

sharpe1027
03-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Bears fans (like my uncle) are so excited right now... this is a guy who still plays cards with Ditka so not a complete idiot, just completely blinded by his love for the team. He told me today to expect the division title from them! lol

What a joke, all these moves reek of ultimate desperation. Can't wait to see the long term effects of their more recent (and future) moves.

Are they just as excited as they were for Cutler? :lol:

steve823
03-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Well it's official now.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/05/julius-peppers-is-a-chicago-bear/

pbmax
03-05-2010, 02:39 PM
So much for my powers of deduction. So Alex Brown slides over to the left side? I think you have to keep Peppers on the right.

I wonder which four games he will show up for this year? Two of them have to be the Vikings, don't they Bryant McKinnie?

steve823
03-05-2010, 02:40 PM
So much for my powers of deduction. So Alex Brown slides over to the left side? I think you have to keep Peppers on the right.

I wonder which four games he will show up for this year?

Who knows. All I know is I feel bad for whoever out LT is going to be, they have to face Allen twice and Peppers twice. :shock:

red
03-05-2010, 02:52 PM
let the bears super bowl talk begin :roll:

steve823
03-05-2010, 02:54 PM
This is actually good for us. Besides the obvious bad part of having to face Peppers twice a year, this is really going to mess up their whole salary cap. I don't know too much about the topic, but paying a player roughly $40 million in 3 years isn't a good move.

red
03-05-2010, 03:02 PM
This is actually good for us. Besides the obvious bad part of having to face Peppers twice a year, this is really going to mess up their whole salary cap. I don't know too much about the topic, but paying a player roughly $40 million in 3 years isn't a good move.

there is no cap, and it might not come back

i', not too worried about peppers, the FIBS have a lot more problems on that defense

they just threw a lot of money at one guy when they need to be finding a lot of other younger guys to throw money at

steve823
03-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Well supposedly there's a big chance of it coming back, which is why a lot of teams aren't going all out spending.

Tony Oday
03-05-2010, 03:06 PM
It WILL be back and the Bears will have an even OLDER defense that is suseptible to injuries and ineptness at the end of a season...they still have no offense to speak of...

Bossman641
03-05-2010, 03:06 PM

I wonder which four games he will show up for this year? Two of them have to be the Vikings, don't they Bryant McKinnie?

Ya, the talk here in IL was that Brown would switch positions. Peppers has played both positions in the past though I believe.

steve823
03-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Well when it all said and done we all have to remember..The Bears still suck

Brandon494
03-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Pepper had 2 1/2 sacks two years ago...not as good as he use to be.

red
03-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Well supposedly there's a big chance of it coming back, which is why a lot of teams aren't going all out spending.

no, teams aren't spending a lot because they don't have too. no cap means no floor. so many teams can choose just to sit back and make a lot more money this year if they want to. and not every team has the money to throw around these days.

the cap could come back, but how would it work

theres a couple ways of giving the guy his bonus money up front. the signing bonus, which is pro rated over many years to help the cap hit, and the roster bonus, which hits the cap right away. both bonuses are payed to the player up front. the only difference has to do with the cap

in years past you would give a guy a 20 million dollar signing bonus. spread it over 5 years and you have a 4 million dollar cap hit from that bonus in each of the next 5 years.

but this year there is no cap. so if i'm a team i don't give a signing bonus, i call it a roster bonus.

player still gets his 20 million up front. but it would all count against this years cap (which doesn't matter) meaning, no future cap hits, just the salary would count against a future cap.

so a team could sign a high price player now, if they have the money, and actually be set up pretty good for the future if the cap does come back

steve823
03-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Oh thanks for that explanation. Never really read up on all the talk about it because it was so boring. That's probably also why there is hardly any decent free agents.

b bulldog
03-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Unblockable when motivated, but isn't motivated enough for this kind of money. McKinnie must be thinking, "oh....shit, he owned me last year"

red
03-05-2010, 04:36 PM
bears should have gone after anquan boldin instead, rumor is the asking price for him is a third round pick

they could still trade for him, but you have to wonder how much money the bears have left after the peppers and taylor deals.

boldin would want a new very big contract soon

mission
03-05-2010, 04:43 PM
looking on the bright side still...

#4 should be taking more hits next season

sheepshead
03-05-2010, 04:45 PM
looking on the bright side still...

#4 should be taking more hits next season

:)

Fred's Slacks
03-05-2010, 04:55 PM

no, teams aren't spending a lot because they don't have too. no cap means no floor. so many teams can choose just to sit back and make a lot more money this year if they want to. and not every team has the money to throw around these days.

the cap could come back, but how would it work

theres a couple ways of giving the guy his bonus money up front. the signing bonus, which is pro rated over many years to help the cap hit, and the roster bonus, which hits the cap right away. both bonuses are payed to the player up front. the only difference has to do with the cap

in years past you would give a guy a 20 million dollar signing bonus. spread it over 5 years and you have a 4 million dollar cap hit from that bonus in each of the next 5 years.

but this year there is no cap. so if i'm a team i don't give a signing bonus, i call it a roster bonus.

player still gets his 20 million up front. but it would all count against this years cap (which doesn't matter) meaning, no future cap hits, just the salary would count against a future cap.

so a team could sign a high price player now, if they have the money, and actually be set up pretty good for the future if the cap does come back

That's the way the cap worked under the old cba but nobody knows how the new one will work. That's one reason some teams are going to shy away from any big contracts: uncertainty on how the cap, if it does come back, will be figured.

imscott72
03-05-2010, 05:59 PM
bears should have gone after anquan boldin instead, rumor is the asking price for him is a third round pick

they could still trade for him, but you have to wonder how much money the bears have left after the peppers and taylor deals.

boldin would want a new very big contract soon

Boldin to the Ravens...4 yrs 28 million..

Fritz
03-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Good - get Boldin over to the AFC.

The Bears...the new Washington Redskins.

I predict a disaster in Chicago. When desperation is your motivating factor, whether building a football team or trying to get laid, the results are never good.

Scott Campbell
03-05-2010, 06:05 PM

Are they just as excited as they were for Cutler? :lol:

There's a big difference here. They gave up way too much to get Cutler. Not so in this case. I think it's a very good day for Bear fans.

KYPack
03-05-2010, 07:55 PM

I predict a disaster in Chicago. When desperation is your motivating factor, whether building a football team or trying to get laid, the results are never good.

Should we send a group email to Drew Barrymore for ya, man?

Joemailman
03-05-2010, 08:56 PM

If memory serves me correctly, the TE has never been used much by Martz in the passing game. Manumaleuna is 6-2/295 and caught 5 passes all last year. Sounds like the Bears plan to run the football. Don't draft Olsen in fantasy football.

Scott Campbell
03-05-2010, 09:04 PM

If memory serves me correctly, the TE has never been used much by Martz in the passing game. Manumaleuna is 6-2/295 and caught 5 passes all last year. Sounds like the Bears plan to run the football. Don't draft Olsen in fantasy football.

They'll never just sit on the guy. They have other holes and he could fill one as trade bait.

retailguy
03-05-2010, 09:08 PM

Run the football? :shock:

MARTZ? Nah. They've got the "greatest show on turf part deux". Now they just need a receiver. They've got a slot guy and a speed guy. I think Hester will be that slot guy, and Aromashadu or Knox the speed guy.

I don't think they're in that bad of shape actually. Fortunately, they are still the bears and they'll find a way to screw it up.

Forte & Taylor both catch out of the backfield too.

Could be interesting in a train wreck sort of way... :wink:

Bossman641
03-05-2010, 09:11 PM

When Martz runs 2 TE sets, he likes one of them to be a blocking TE and the other to be an all around guy. Dez Clark fits the all-around role.

You would think Martz could find a role for Olsen, but he really isn't a blocker at all.

channtheman
03-05-2010, 09:11 PM

Run the football? :shock:

MARTZ? Nah. They've got the "greatest show on turf part deux". Now they just need a receiver. They've got a slot guy and a speed guy. I think Hester will be that slot guy, and Aromashadu or Knox the speed guy.

I don't think they're in that bad of shape actually. Fortunately, they are still the bears and they'll find a way to screw it up.

Forte & Taylor both catch out of the backfield too.

Could be interesting in a train wreck sort of way... :wink:

Well, you always have to factor in Cuntler finding different ways to screw things up.

retailguy
03-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Well, you always have to factor in Cuntler finding different ways to screw things up.

'tis the curse of the Bears...

Joemailman
03-05-2010, 09:26 PM
I actually wouldn't rule out Cutler rebounding next year. He actually played well at home. For some reason, he was a train wreck on the road. His problems are all above the shoulder. Will be interesting to see if Martz can get him straightened out.

imscott72
03-05-2010, 10:25 PM
The Bears want a 2nd for Olsen. I don't see it happening. He might be worth a flier for a 3rd..

Bretsky
03-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Very good day for the Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions

get louder at lambeau
03-05-2010, 10:52 PM
I actually wouldn't rule out Cutler rebounding next year. He actually played well at home. For some reason, he was a train wreck on the road. His problems are all above the shoulder. Will be interesting to see if Martz can get him straightened out.

Think about your friends from highschool who's problems were "above the shoulder". How many of them just have had those problems magically go away in a year or two?

Scott Campbell
03-05-2010, 11:17 PM

Think about your friends from highschool who's problems were "above the shoulder". How many of them just have had those problems magically go away in a year or two?

I didn't have any highschool friends without problems above the shoulders.

Fritz
03-06-2010, 06:53 AM

Should we send a group email to Drew Barrymore for ya, man?

You have her email address? What?

Tony Oday
03-06-2010, 02:36 PM
The Bears want a 2nd for Olsen. I don't see it happening. He might be worth a flier for a 3rd..

Greg Olsen is worth a 2nd on a team ready to compete this year...Patriots maybe?

Brandon494
03-06-2010, 02:41 PM

Greg Olsen is worth a 2nd on a team ready to compete this year...Patriots maybe?

Patriots wouldn't be a bad team, also think the Bengals would be a good fit.

sharpe1027
03-08-2010, 03:03 PM
There's a big difference here. They gave up way too much to get Cutler. Not so in this case. I think it's a very good day for Bear fans.

The Bears fans didn't think they gave up too much for Culter right after they traded for him last year. Depending on how Pepper's contract effects their ability to sign players in the future (whether salary cap or just pure income limits), you may end up eating your words.

I will be surprised if looking back three years from now Pepper's deal looks all rosy.

Mazzin
03-08-2010, 04:32 PM

I thought the Bengals were going to try to turn Matt Jones into a tight end. Really what i dont understand about him is that after his cocaine deal the team kept him on, and he performed very well.( best on the team that year, I think) He MAY get it together, think about T.O., Ocho, and if M. Jones performs, that could be scary with Carson Palmer back there WITH Benson beastin.

Freak Out
03-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Bears had to start doing something.....The Pack or Queens were going to run away with the division again if they weren't careful. It's still hard to believe Martz is with the Bears though......just doesn't seem right.

Iron Mike
03-09-2010, 06:55 AM
I like Kissing Suzy Kolber's take:

The Bears signed Julius Peppers AND excellent third down back Chester Taylor, who immediately makes Matt Forte somehow even more worthless than he already was. Taylor is expected to be the intended recipient of many Jay Cutler passes that end up deflected and in the hands of a d-lineman.

:P

pbmax
03-09-2010, 07:48 AM

I thought the Bengals were going to try to turn Matt Jones into a tight end. Really what i dont understand about him is that after his cocaine deal the team kept him on, and he performed very well.( best on the team that year, I think) He MAY get it together, think about T.O., Ocho, and if M. Jones performs, that could be scary with Carson Palmer back there WITH Benson beastin.
The TE report was denied by both the team and the player after it hit the internets.

cheesner
03-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Bears had to start doing something.....The Pack or Queens were going to run away with the division again if they weren't careful. It's still hard to believe Martz is with the Bears though......just doesn't seem right.
I wouldn't describe these moves as 'careful'. I think they are really reckless. Putting a team together isn't just about tossing in every good ingredient you find. The tastes have to compliment each other. I think the worse move that Chicago made was bringing in Martz. I think he is way over rated and was only a product of having some amazing talent at some critical positions when he achieved his only success at St. Louis.

As far as Drew Barrymore's email:

CuteButSluttyAndBrainlessFormerChildActress@gmail. com

Fritz
03-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Hey - she's not slutty.

And I like bad girls anyway.