PDA

View Full Version : Kampman Watch

sheepshead
03-05-2010, 12:20 PM
via twitter and facebook I'm hearing Redskins, Seahawks and Eagles.

mission
03-05-2010, 01:06 PM
GBPG is reporting the Bucs have stepped up and are also very interested in Kampman.

pbmax
03-05-2010, 02:41 PM
The Vikings can now sign a UFA having lost Taylor. But they have restrictions on the salary they can offer.

But it doesn't mean that the Vikings can jump into the Julius Peppers derby. They are limited to the first-year salary paid to Taylor, with 30 percent annual growth.

The actual money available to the Vikings will depend on the structure of the four-year, $12.5 million deal that Taylor signed. The smaller the first-year salary (and the term is defined broadly to include base salary, roster bonuses, signing bonus proration, etc.), the less wiggle room the Vikings will have.

Regardless, the Vikings now have the ability to jump into the free agency pool, and to emerge with one fish.

sheepshead
03-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Report: Aaron Kampman is in Jacksonville
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 6, 2010 9:10 AM ET
Aaron Kampman had the most mysterious first day of free agency among the top free agents.

He was rumored to be visiting Seattle, then Philadelphia, but didn't wind up making either trip. According to a report on Scout.com's JagNation, he spent Friday night in Jacksonville.

PFT is still working to confirm Kampman is actually there. It's not fair, but the fact the news was broken by a guy with this Twitter avatar isn't helping. (Sorry, Alfie. As a 14-year-old trying to make it writing about football, I experience similar discrimination.)

We'll be following up on this report once we know more. Jacksonville does have a major need at end; they were also in contact with Lions defensive end Jared DeVries Friday.

pbmax
03-06-2010, 01:22 PM
I love how the entire press corp is now covering FA and the associated rumors as though they were PFT. The use of their own blogs and Twitter gives them license to publish information and pass on tidbits that never would have made it into the papers previously.

Of course, it also means they are wrong more. We are on our third FA destination for AK; one of which proved to be false (Seattle), one of which seems false now (Philly) and one that is unproven (Jags).

pbmax
03-06-2010, 01:59 PM
OK, actual sourced report. Kampman is in Florida meeting with the Jags.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/06/kampmans-visit-to-jacksonville-is-confirmed/

Florida Times-Union original story: http://jacksonville.com/sports/2010-03-06/story/de_aaron_kampman_visits_jaguars

He did not go to Philly after changing his mind but they are still talking to them, according to the article.

steve823
03-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Sounds like he's a Jaguar now.

Michael C. Wright, of The Florida Times-Union, reports free-agent DE Aaron Kampman (Packers) has agreed to terms with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Terms of the deal are not yet available.

I wish him luck, he's a class act.

packers11
03-06-2010, 11:50 PM
He must have really liked the 3-4 with all those 3-4 teams he visted :lol: :wink:

Joemailman
03-06-2010, 11:58 PM
http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2010-03-07/story/jaguars_agree_to_terms_with_de_aaron_kampman

This leaves the Pack very thin at OLB. Expect at least 2 in the draft.

steve823
03-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Well no one was expecting him back. I'm guessing we'll take one OLB in the higher rounds(1-4) and a project or two in the later rounds that show potential.

pbmax
03-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Wow. I expected him to see another team or two, I guess Cornich got someone to bite at his price.

One of the papers mentioned that Paup had been talking to Kampman. I wonder if Don Davey did as well. Its Badger versus Hawkeye, but Davey went to Jacksonville after his Packer days were over and played a few more years. He then opened a successful investment business somewhere in Florida. The Badgers have been trying to get him back to Madison and into the athletic department for years.

To bad Aaron couldn't find a better team to go to. He was a fine player and by all accounts a better person. Hope he does well. Its now Brad Jones, Poppinga and a draft pick on the left side.

Patler
03-07-2010, 03:47 AM
Didn't Jacksonville's center, Brad Meester, go to the same high school as Kampman, a couple years ahead of him?

wist43
03-07-2010, 06:19 AM
If I were him I'd sign with the Jags only b/c I could then play Sawgrass every day :D

Worked there doing construction as a kid... thought golf was stupid, now I'm an addict - amazing how things change as the years roll by :D

Have fond memories of Jacksonville/Atlantic Beach/Neptune Beach though... the town gets a bum rap I think.

sheepshead
03-07-2010, 07:42 AM
If I were him I'd sign with the Jags only b/c I could then play Sawgrass every day :D

Worked there doing construction as a kid... thought golf was stupid, now I'm an addict - amazing how things change as the years roll by :D

Have fond memories of Jacksonville/Atlantic Beach/Neptune Beach though... the town gets a bum rap I think.

My moms from there-went back every summer as kids. There are nicer places in Florida, but its still a nice place. Im sure his roll was the biggest factor.

Fritz
03-07-2010, 07:43 AM
I wish him well. It's clear to me that Packer management tries to say little and/or put a good face on and keep any squabbles or unhappiness out of the public eye, but it's obvious now Kampman wanted back in a 4-3. So good for him. Hope he does well unless the Pack plays the Jags.

RashanGary
03-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Congrats Kamp!!

Kampman was a great Packer. It's unfortunate the way the whole thing went but reports are, Kampman recieved a deal similar to that of Kyle Vandenbosh.

Reportedly, the Packers could receive up to a 3rd round pick in compensation for Kampman. Kamp is over 30 but has not played 10 years, so the 5th round max does not apply. It would be nice if it morphed into a 3rd round pick.

Scott Campbell
03-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks Aaron. You've been a great Packer.

pbmax
03-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Didn't Jacksonville's center, Brad Meester, go to the same high school as Kampman, a couple years ahead of him?

Yes. From ESPN The High School News Source:

Thomas coached several players who went on to the NFL, including Kampman, Jacksonville Jaguars center Brad Meester, Detroit Lions defensive end Jared DeVries and Denver Broncos center Casey Wiegmann.

Bretsky
03-07-2010, 09:27 AM
The JS theorized that GB might sign them all.......but I think most of us knew the writing was on the wall.

FOR THOSE (I was not one of them) would pounded the tables that GB should trade Kampman last year for the most they could get.........KUDOS.....you were right.

Kampman was nothing but class but deep down he knew he did not belong in our new defensive scheme. There was virtually no chance at all he was returning.

Good Luck AK

sheepshead
03-07-2010, 09:40 AM
The JS theorized that GB might sign them all.......but I think most of us knew the writing was on the wall.

FOR THOSE (I was not one of them) would pounded the tables that GB should trade Kampman last year for the most they could get.........KUDOS.....you were right.

Kampman was nothing but class but deep down he knew he did not belong in our new defensive scheme. There was virtually no chance at all he was returning.

Good Luck AK

Thats almost a wash. With the freed up salary and a pick as compensation we're sittin' ok. He was too good not to give him that shot.

pittstang5
03-07-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm sad to see Kampman go. I loved everything about him as a player and as a person.

With that said, Jacksonville is getting a great individual. Best of luck to him.

On another note - anyone else a little relieved that he went to Jacksonville and not the Bears, Lions, Vikings or another NFC team for that matter.
(Yes, I know he probably couldn't sign withthe Vikings anyway).

Brandon494
03-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Not sad to see him go since he struggled in the 3-4 but sucks we didn't get anything for him. TT should have traded him last season IMO.

Lurker64
03-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Not sad to see him go since he struggled in the 3-4 but sucks we didn't get anything for him. TT should have traded him last season IMO.

We'll probably get a 2011 compensatory, assuming there is a 2011 draft. Could be a third.

pbmax
03-07-2010, 10:52 AM

Good Luck AK
Hindsight is 20/20. Was anyone sure Brad Jones could play? And why doubt the best performer on your team could adjust?

Fritz
03-07-2010, 11:54 AM
In the trade scenario, so Kampman goes somewhere else - somewhere with a 4-3 - and plays like he typically does. Thompson gets what, maybe a third? Possibly a second?

Then people bitch that Thompson trades his most talented players...I see that one as a near no-win for the Packers. They tried to be positive about the switch, there was some reason to be, since Kamp was a linebacker long ago. But it didn't work well, he got hurt, and now he's gone. Sometimes stuff just happens. Let's hope he plays lights out for Jac so GB gets a good pick next year.

Bretsky
03-07-2010, 02:35 PM

Good Luck AK
Hindsight is 20/20. Was anyone sure Brad Jones could play? And why doubt the best performer on your team could adjust?

I'm still not sure how good Brad Jones is; he started out strong but faded away......and was horrible on the final game. I'd be all for getting another dominant OLB for the other side.

Brandon494
03-07-2010, 02:57 PM

Good Luck AK

I'm still not sure how good Brad Jones is; he started out strong but faded away......and was horrible on the final game. I'd be all for getting another dominant OLB for the other side.

In the six games Brad Jones started he had 4 sacks which aint bad at all for a 7th round rookie.

BTW the whole defense was horrible the final game. :x

gbgary
03-07-2010, 02:58 PM
good for kampman.

Joemailman
03-07-2010, 03:00 PM
McCarthy is expecting Jones to bulk up some during the offseason. I think he needs to get up around the 250 range to handle SOLB. At any rate, they have little depth at OLB right now. Matthews, Jones, Poppinga and Obiozor are about it. I would expect a pick there in the first 3 rounds.

pbmax
03-07-2010, 03:11 PM

Good Luck AK

Exactly. And no question he is small compared to ideal and seemed to wear down. But he held up his end of the donkey pretty well considering he was a less than unheralded rookie.

I think Kampman and the Packers just showed how to part ways amicably, like Reggie before him. Not taking a shot at Brett, that was a whole 'nother animal.

steve823
03-07-2010, 03:19 PM

We'll probably get a 2011 compensatory, assuming there is a 2011 draft. Could be a third.

How exactly do compensatory draft picks work? Does it go by how much a team lost and the value those players were to their new team? Also where do they come from? Are they just extra picks thrown in after the rounds?

Tony Oday
03-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Glad Kamp got his cash, and REALLY glad he isnt in purple...I really thought they would sign him...and then I would have suggested Matt Flynn to start against the purple

Kiwon
03-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Well, there's one guy who earned this new contract.

For how many years did announcers drone on, "an overachiever....not that talented....high-energy type of guy..."

Kampman, year by year, changed all those cliches.

He will be missed in the locker room and on the field because he led by example and gave maximum effort on every play. You can't teach work ethic with Xs and Os. It's demonstrated, modeled for others to see.

Kudos to Kampy. He earned this money.

Lurker64
03-07-2010, 05:40 PM
How exactly do compensatory draft picks work? Does it go by how much a team lost and the value those players were to their new team? Also where do they come from? Are they just extra picks thrown in after the rounds?

Compensatory draft picks are awarded by the NFL according to some mysterious formula that's not available to the public, but is thought to take in account factors like "size of the contract signed" and "performance on the field"; and I believe it basically compares "free agents out" minus "free agents in" in some manner. A compensatory pick can be awarded in any round from the third to the seventh. The compensatory picks are always appended to the end of a round, and cannot be traded like normal picks. The compensatory picks are announced at the league's annual meeting, which is sometime towards the end of march. So other than the first 95 picks (Washintgon forfeited their third round pick in the supplemental draft last year), the draft order is not set. We may actually be due a compensatory pick, as we lost Colin Cole to free agency last year and didn't sign any free agents who actually made the final 53. Cole didn't do much for the Seahawks, but his $21.4 million dollar contract and 15 games started (16 played) might help our cause.

Notable free agents who sign reasonably sized contracts frequently garner third round picks in compensation. As poorly as Ahman Green did for Houston, we still garnered a fourth round pick (used to select Sitton) for losing him.

steve823
03-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Ok thanks. I thought they told the formula and everyone knew why and how it worked. Great explanation though, I appreciate it.

Lurker64
03-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Kampman's deal: 4 years, $26 million, $11 million guaranteed.

http://twitter.com/jagsreporter/status/10141766986

Looks good, for getting a pretty good compensatory based on those numbers (assuming they hand them out in 2011.)

The Leaper
03-07-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm glad Kampy got paid...and I think he made a good choice heading to JAX. He should fit in well there...and Kamp doesn't have to feel like he's going up against GB as a result, as he would've in Philly or Minn.

red
03-07-2010, 08:41 PM
i'm glad he made it out of the nfc north so we don't have to play him twice

glad he landed somewhere quick and got a nice deal

that man is a true warrior

SkinBasket
03-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Kampman was overrated. I guess that isn't a popular opinion, but there it is. Time to move on from that albatross and find someone who can make his own way, not rely on others. Good luck cracka. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Brandon494
03-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Kampman was overrated. I guess that isn't a popular opinion, but there it is. Time to move on from that albatross and find someone who can make his own way, not rely on others. Good luck cracka. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

+1

Appreciate what he did for us but just wasn't a good fit in the 3-4 scheme.

swede
03-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Loved Kampy, but he was Super Eight and now it's time for Blue Ray.

TT dropped his guard psychologically when he talked about Kampy at the combine, mentioning that AK has skills valued by the league. In the same interview Pickett and Collins were singled out for their value to the TEAM. I thought then it was likely that AK was gone.

pbmax
03-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Then there are two kinds of overrated. KGB overrated and Kampman overrated. The difference might be a willingness to learn more than one move.

Fritz
03-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Wow...check out this quote from Kampman. Now that he's switching to the right side, he casts a gay slur against all offensive left tackles:

""Your left tackles usually are guys that are a little more - can be anyway - a little lighter in the pants"

Holy smokes, Aaron.

SkinBasket
03-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Then there are two kinds of overrated. KGB overrated and Kampman overrated. The difference might be a willingness to learn more than one move.

I agree. He didn't suck by any means, but at the same time, he was a peaker, not a consistent performer year after year. I think he's past his peak. Maybe he'll buck his statistical trend this year out of pure pride and excitement if he's healed and stays healed, but it might be more difficult against LTs who are more adept at defending the rush.

Spaulding
03-08-2010, 09:26 AM

I agree. He didn't suck by any means, but at the same time, he was a peaker, not a consistent performer year after year. I think he's past his peak. Maybe he'll buck his statistical trend this year out of pure pride and excitement if he's healed and stays healed, but it might be more difficult against LTs who are more adept at defending the rush.

I disagree. I think he was a pure effort guy. A little less physically talented than Jared Allen but basically a balls to the wall guy every play. With a player who gives 110% every play and never had the physical gifts of some of the top DE's, I think he's going to be productive for several years yet.

I also wonder how much leadership we lost when he went down last season. I know the scheme started to gel when he went down but it appeared he was growing more comfortable with his position and I'd have thought that the results would have been the same if not better down the stretch with him in it.

SkinBasket
03-08-2010, 10:15 AM
How come there's never any black guys labeled as "pure effort" or "great motor" guys?

bobblehead
03-08-2010, 11:10 AM
How come there's never any black guys labeled as "pure effort" or "great motor" guys?

I don't watch Basketball anymore, but I have friends who do.....is Luc Mbah a Moute black?? He seems to be the quintessential try hard guy. How about Bo Outlaw or Ben Wallace.

You want to stick with football? How about our very own Al Harris...you know, the guy who is too slow. RB's, how about OJ Anderson. Jim Brown maybe....man refused to be tackled. Earl Campbell.

I will admit this one though. In all of baseball, off the top of my head I can't come up with one nonwhite player who gets the label "scrappy". Pretty sure you have to be short, white and a middle infielder to be a scrappy baseball player.

HarveyWallbangers
03-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Chone Figgins is scrappy
:D

mission
03-08-2010, 11:18 AM

I don't watch Basketball anymore, but I have friends who do.....is Luc Mbah a Moute black?? He seems to be the quintessential try hard guy. How about Bo Outlaw or Ben Wallace.

You want to stick with football? How about our very own Al Harris...you know, the guy who is too slow. RB's, how about OJ Anderson. Jim Brown maybe....man refused to be tackled. Earl Campbell.

I will admit this one though. In all of baseball, off the top of my head I can't come up with one nonwhite player who gets the label "scrappy". Pretty sure you have to be short, white and a middle infielder to be a scrappy baseball player.

Yeah, but he's african or french or something.

Fritz
03-08-2010, 11:41 AM

And remember, there's only one letter difference between "scrappy" and 'crappy."

mission
03-08-2010, 12:09 PM
And remember, there's only one letter difference between "scrappy" and 'crappy."

You're on it today, Fritz.

(that's not your name is it?)

Bretsky
03-08-2010, 09:56 PM
http://host.madison.com/sports/columnists/mike_lucas/article_5d58d890-2a9e-11df-a2d6-001cc4c002e0.html

Lurker64
03-08-2010, 10:12 PM
http://host.madison.com/sports/columnists/mike_lucas/article_5d58d890-2a9e-11df-a2d6-001cc4c002e0.html

I think "the Packers should have traded Kampman" talk is just hindsight being 20/20 or better. You couldn't have traded Kampman midseason last year, because that would have been a crippling blow to locker room morale.

You can't just trade one of your defensive leaders and one of the best players on your defense midseason after starting out at .500. That would be a clear sign to the locker room that you're giving up on that season and playing for the future. For a team that turned around from 4-4, there's no way they would have finished 7-1 down the stretch if they did that.

Better to just take the compensatory pick we're going to get for Kampman next year (probably a 3rd or a 4th if he's healthy and productive), and stick with the "we're not giving up" message.

Joemailman
03-08-2010, 10:20 PM

No, the Packers did not mishandle Kampman. He just didn't fit well into the defense. The 3-4 defense made Charles Woodson a more effective player. It made Kampman less effective. It happens.

pbmax
03-09-2010, 12:49 AM
So Lukas thinks the Packers are supposed to have a crystal ball about injuries? And be more concerned about where their player is going to get his next contract when he is still on his current one?

Why trade one of your most effective D players under these circumstance? If Greg Ellis could make the switch, I think Kampman could. But if you read his comments from the Jacksonville press conference, it is clear he did not want to.

I like Kampman and am reasonably assured he is, on balance, a fine individual. But those complaints about the change to his drills and film prep sound more like someone who did not want to play OLB, rather than someone who could not.

Scott Campbell
03-09-2010, 06:00 AM
Hard to take a guy seriously that writes stuff like this:

"The cryptic Ted Thompson has little or no personality; few if any communication skills; little or no urgency."

Fritz
03-09-2010, 06:58 AM
Now you take a guy like Dan Snyder. There's a guy with a sense of urgency.

Bretsky
03-09-2010, 07:04 AM
I don't agree with the article although I already gave Kudos to everyone in here who stated we should have traded AK last year because he didn't fit the D. I would have kept him as we did and lost him because AK didn't want to play here anymore.

As much as the JS is ripped in here.......it's not just the JS who writes stories to garner more interest.....that kind of lack integrity. It's all over.

Fritz
03-09-2010, 07:56 AM
I think the Pack is on the right track. Not sure about Tauscher - he's a comfort but could Lang be better?

How will Jones's offseason program affect his play next year?

Important questions.

pbmax
03-09-2010, 10:35 AM
If Brandt is right, perhaps the Packers thought it would be best to move on as well.

In 2010, in negotiating Aaron’s deal, the most relevant data point for the Jaguars was the recent deal between Vanden Bosch and the Lions. Déjà vu all over again, as Kampman’s deal is being reported as four years, $26M with $11M guaranteed, again virtually the same deal as Vanden Bosch with the Lions. This is a far cry from the one-year deal offered by the Packers before the start of free agency.

LP
03-09-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't agree with the article although I already gave Kudos to everyone in here who stated we should have traded AK last year because he didn't fit the D. I would have kept him as we did and lost him because AK didn't want to play here anymore.

As much as the JS is ripped in here.......it's not just the JS who writes stories to garner more interest.....that kind of lack integrity. It's all over.

I may be nitpicking here but, when and where did Kampman say he didn't want to play in Green Bay anymore? Did he want to play defensive end in a 4-3, not OLB in a 3-4? Yes. But saying he "didn't want to play here any more" makes it sound like the Packers were trying to shaft him somehow.

MadScientist
03-09-2010, 02:42 PM

I may be nitpicking here but, when and where did Kampman say he didn't want to play in Green Bay anymore? Did he want to play defensive end in a 4-3, not OLB in a 3-4? Yes. But saying he "didn't want to play here any more" makes it sound like the Packers were trying to shaft him somehow.

It isn't a direct quote, but it is the gist of this article http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/2010/03/staying-with-packers-wasnt-option-for.html

pbmax
03-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Somewhere someone had an item saying the Packers offer was one year, but I have not been able to find it after reading about it on NFP. It might be Brandt's own info.

Milwaukee radio made a point I had not considered since last year, that is, should the Packers have renegotiated based on his change of position last year? Basically compensate Kampman for at least a year of doing something new right before his last big contract opportunity?

I am not sure he would have agreed, since it seems that he contined to prefer to stay at DE. And there are other factors. OLBs don't make as much as pass rushing 4-3 DEs. And he would have wanted something longer than a year or two for his last big contract. While the Packer may have felt he could make the switch, they might not have wanted to bet a four year contract on it.

Does anyone remember this coming up in any sort of context last year? Was it just a fan and radio talking point?