PDA

View Full Version : Tenders for Williams & Jolly Increased

mission
03-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Hope I didn't miss this in another thread but I read on JSO that Jolly and Williams have both been given 1st and 3rd round tenders. Jolly, I'm not so sure but it's not a ton of money and Tramon I felt was worth way more than a 2nd round tender... remember, these tenders need to be "overvalued" so we can actually keep the player. A second was just not enough with teams like the Vikings looking for CB help.

Good move here by TT... more nothing-to-see-here journalism by JSO stirring up "oh boy Collins is going to be VERY upset now" ... what a loser Bedard is.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/86486577.html

pbmax
03-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Tramon got the 1st and 3rd tender. Jolly got the 1st rounder.

mission
03-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Tramon got the 1st and 3rd tender. Jolly got the 1st rounder.

OK, that makes a bit more sense.

steve823
03-05-2010, 02:50 PM
TT definitely made the right choice for these tenders.

The only thing I don't get is the 2nd round tender on Colledge. He played horrible last year, so why wouldn't we use a 3rd round tender to pay him less or get 3rd round draft pick in this deep draft?

Lurker64
03-05-2010, 03:52 PM
I don't see why Collins would get upset that he's not the only RFA tendered with the highest tender. Considering that the Packers did not need to sign him to an extension because he is an RFA, there really isn't any way to show him more respect as a player (without doing something irrational) than to tender him at the highest level.

Plus, it's not like having good CBs around doesn't make the FS look good.

pbmax
03-05-2010, 04:06 PM

The only thing I don't get is the 2nd round tender on Colledge. He played horrible last year, so why wouldn't we use a 3rd round tender to pay him less or get 3rd round draft pick in this deep draft?
There is no 3rd round tender, the next step down is original round tender.

For Colledge, that would have netted a 3rd round pick if he left, but cost no less money. Due to some arcane rules, if ANY tender offer by the team is an "upgrade" (higher pick compensation than original draft round) then original round tenders are dropped a round.

So essentially, for the cost of a couple of hundred thousand dollars (difference between original round and 2nd round) the Packers ensure a 2nd round pick as compensation should he leave.

steve823
03-05-2010, 04:09 PM

For Colledge, that would have netted a 3rd round pick if he left, but cost no less money. Due to some arcane rules, if ANY tender offer by the team is an "upgrade" (higher pick compensation than original draft round) then original round tenders are dropped a round.

So essentially, for the cost of a couple of hundred thousand dollars (difference between original round and 2nd round) the Packers ensure a 2nd round pick as compensation should he leave.

Oh ok thanks. I want him to leave so we would get a 2nd but that's not going to happen.

red
03-05-2010, 04:16 PM

Oh ok thanks. I want him to leave so we would get a 2nd but that's not going to happen.

we can all still dream

Lurker64
03-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Ultimately, choosing tenders isn't an issue of "how valuable a player is to your team" but "how valuable a guy is to the rest of the teams in the league."

If you want to keep a guy, you set a tender higher than you think he is worth to the rest of the league (or at the maximum). If you want to get rid of a guy, you set a tender at or lower than that level, as an invitation to negotiate if nothing else.

The Packers may well have tendered Colledge at a second, simply because they didn't want to piss him off, but more likely they intend to keep him in hopes that he can reclaim his 2008 form.

Guiness
03-05-2010, 04:36 PM

Can you explain that bit more? I don't quite understand how that works! His original round was 2nd round...?

Lurker64
03-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Can you explain that bit more? I don't quite understand how that works! His original round was 2nd round...?

I believe the rule in this case means that since Colledge was a second round pick, if he is tendered at the original tender, and any player who was drafted from a lower round (or undrafted) is tendered at the second round tender, the compensation you would get for losing Colledge goes down a round.

I believe this rule is in place to try to discourage team from tendering players drafted in high rounds at the (cheap) original tender level, instead of the more expensive second or first round tenders. Basically, they don't want the original tender to be identical to any of the other (more expensive) tenders, or there's no reason to use the more expensive tender.

I'll try to find the specific rule.

pbmax
03-05-2010, 05:11 PM

Lurker is correct. Essentially, it is to avoid a scenario where a second round pick (Colledge) can be tendered at the second lowest tender level (original round). Because his original round IS the second, the team can save cash this way.

Original Round costs: $1,176,000

Second Round costs: $1,759,000

The high draft pick loses on cash because he is a high draft pick. As a disincentive, the players got a provision that penalizes a team for doing this. If a team "upgrades" a player (like Collins or Williams getting a 1st and 3rd tender) then the original round tenders come with a penalty.

For a team that has used an upgrade tender, the original round tenders return a pick that is one round lower than the original draft position. For Colledge then, an original round tender would yield a 3rd round pick if he left. Hence, Colledge gets the official and more lucrative 2nd Round Tender for $1.759 million.

Fritz
03-05-2010, 06:14 PM

we can all still dream

Matt Flynn for Joe Thomas, straight up!