PDA

View Full Version : Donte Whitner may be available

Lurker64
03-07-2010, 03:21 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/2010/03/06/979421/whitners-status-with-bills-uncertain.html

This guy can play both FS and SS, and doesn't seem to want to stay with the Bills. Would definitely be an upgrade over Bigby if he can stay healthy. I wonder if Thompson will go after him.

steve823
03-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if TT made a move if the price isn't unreasonable. It would help give us depth and he would most likely beat out Bigby for the starting job. We also wouldn't have to address a safety in the draft and can focus on OT, OLB, and CB.

Brandon494
03-07-2010, 06:43 PM
I would be all for getting him, what would it take? Maybe a 4th or 5th round pick? We need a SS who can cover and he would be a improvement over Bigby IMO.

Fritz
03-07-2010, 06:59 PM
I wonder what it would take, and how much of an upgrade he'd be over Bigby.

Skin?

Bretsky
03-07-2010, 07:09 PM

Skin?

No need to call on Skin for this one

Whitner is to Bigby as Nick Collins is to J Bush :wink:

Administrator
03-07-2010, 07:16 PM
I would be all for getting him, what would it take? Maybe a 4th or 5th round pick? We need a SS who can cover and he would be a improvement over Bigby IMO.

Whitner was the #8 pick, I think. It would probably take more than a 4th to get him.

pbmax
03-07-2010, 07:29 PM

Skin?

Then why are they letting him go? The Buffalo brain trust thinks they have at least three safeties that serve their needs better than him (Bryan Scott, George Wilson, Jairus Byrd). Is is cost? He was considered a reach at 8 I think.

Their run defense was bad though the pass defense seemed good (they faced under the average number of passes so that helps their totals but even opponents QB rating and net yard average were good).

Are they changing scheme?

Brandon494
03-07-2010, 07:29 PM

Whitner was the #8 pick, I think. It would probably take more than a 4th to get him.

Was just going be recent trades.

Kerry Rhodes was traded to the Cardinals for a 4th and 7th round pick, don't think Whitner is that much better then Rhodes.

Brandon494
03-07-2010, 07:30 PM

Skin?

Then why are they letting him go? The Buffalo brain trust thinks they have at least three safeties that serve their needs better than him (Bryan Scott, George Wilson, Jairus Byrd). Is is cost? He was considered a reach at 8 I think.

Their run defense was bad though the pass defense seemed good (they faced under the average number of passes so that helps their totals but even opponents QB rating and net yard average were good).

I believe I heard they are changing to a 3-4 defense.

pbmax
03-07-2010, 07:37 PM

Skin?

I believe I heard they are changing to a 3-4 defense.
Yep, you are correct, found that on PFT. Also why they weren't keen to sign Aaron Schobel up again. But if he isn't a fit there for a 3-4, why would he be a fit here?

Lurker64
03-07-2010, 08:07 PM

As I understand it the issue is as follows:

1) Jairus Byrd looks to be a long-term starter at FS, and he's coming off his rookie year so he's locked up for a while.

2) They have two other veteran safeties, one of which was higher up on the depth chart than Whitner at SS for the second half of last year.

3) Last year, the Bills approached Whitner to talk about a contract extension as he's on his last year of his rookie contract this year, I believe, and talks were far from productive.

So I'm pretty sure all of that makes him expendable to the Bills. Switching schemes may be a part of it too, dunno. I've always been impressed with Whitner when I've seen him played.

KYPack
03-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Whitner is the kind of guy you need to make up a good defense. He's a foot soldier, a position guy. Not much on big plays, 4 picks in 4 years. There is another thing that I think would make him comfortable here. He was the #8 pick. When he had a solid, but not great season, he got a lot of crap from Bills fans.

A change of scenery might really help the guy. His situation is very similar to Pickett's when he was with the Rams. He can relax and just come in and play ball.

The big thing against this is the fact we only have one extra pick in the 7th (+ any comp picks). if we had an extra 3 or 4 pick, I think TT would look at making a deal. The way it is, I doubt it.

Lurker64
03-07-2010, 09:58 PM
The big thing against this is the fact we only have one extra pick in the 7th (+ any comp picks). if we had an extra 3 or 4 pick, I think TT would look at making a deal. The way it is, I doubt it.

Though, the fact that this draft is so very deep and talented means that something like a 3rd of 4th round pick is much more valuable than it is in normal years. The Bills might take a fourth in this climate, when they'd ask for something like a 2nd with a draft of last year's quality.

Brandon494
03-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Bolden just got traded for a 3rd and 4th, highly doubt the Bills would get more than a 4th for Whitner.

Fritz
03-08-2010, 06:54 AM
Whitner is the kind of guy you need to make up a good defense. He's a foot soldier, a position guy. Not much on big plays, 4 picks in 4 years. There is another thing that I think would make him comfortable here. He was the #8 pick. When he had a solid, but not great season, he got a lot of crap from Bills fans.

A change of scenery might really help the guy. His situation is very similar to Pickett's when he was with the Rams. He can relax and just come in and play ball.

Does this make him much better than Bigby, though, KY? I don't know much about Whitner except he was considered a huge reach for the Bills in that draft.

The way you described his situation in Buffalo, I was reminded more of Hawk than Pickett, myself.

KYPack
03-08-2010, 09:28 AM

Does this make him much better than Bigby, though, KY? I don't know much about Whitner except he was considered a huge reach for the Bills in that draft.

The way you described his situation in Buffalo, I was reminded more of Hawk than Pickett, myself.

I do think Whitner is an upgrade over Bigby. Now I don't share the Anti-Bigby angst of say, Skin. I really have two problems with Atari. He's a big play guy. For both teams. His skills require him to over-commit. He a peeker and a guesser. When he guesses wrong, it's goodnight nurse. It's a long one for the bad guys. The other problem is his playing style. To play effectively, he has to go into his "human torpedo" act. He can get away with it for a bit, but eventually he gets nailed and sustains an injury. He can't stay on the field for 16 games. Even if he does, he will have the odd bad game or play hurt a few games. In the end, he is as much trouble as he is help.

Whitner is a defined quantity. He isn't a cowboy like Bigby. He's a solid citizen who reads his keys and plays his reads. Solid on his run fills and in postion on passes.

What he isn't is an every down FS that is a difference maker. That's what Buffalo wanted when they drafted him and he is short of that. We could use a 16 game SS who is always in position. I think Whitner could fill that role for us. I also think Ted would be loathe to give, say, a 4 for the guy. Given there would be a lot of uncertainty about Whitner's contract in the future, I doubt he winds up in GB.

Fritz
03-08-2010, 11:48 AM
A 4 seems a reasonable pick to give up for a guy who could fill the role you describe. However, you'd also have to fit him in the hierarchy of salaries on the team. If the guy's looking for a big payday, and Collins gets his, you might not be able to support that much dough for two safeties. I don't know. But it does sound like a guy like Whitner would pair up well with Collins. And then we'd have less of Al Harris screaming at guys at the end of long touchdown passes, too.