PDA

View Full Version : Collins Signs Extension - pbmax fired as prognosticator

pbmax
03-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Packers S Nick Collins signing three-year, $23.4 M contract extension, sources said. Will get $14 mil in the first year.

Silverstein has this on Twitter and promises more on the JSO blog.

pbmax
03-12-2010, 05:46 PM
kudos to Justin and others who called it. I guess sometimes you can believe an agent.

Joemailman
03-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Kudos to Nick. He handled this situation the way it ought to be handled, and got his just desserts. And you can buy a lot of dessert with 23 million.

packers11
03-12-2010, 05:57 PM
I called it! Front load the contract because its uncapped... Atleast the uncapped year came in handy for something :)

red
03-12-2010, 06:14 PM
nice

good deal all around. good for nick, good for the team

and yes, nick played this all very well

RashanGary
03-12-2010, 06:36 PM
It will be interesting to see how much of that is incentive earned. Strange that it's so short and a lot of that is up front.

I wonder if 4 million or so hinges on incentives. I'm sort of hoping it does. It doesn't look like a steal, not at all. First glance, it looks more friendly to Nick than it does the team.

Freak Out
03-12-2010, 06:46 PM
14 freaking million for the first year......wow.

RashanGary
03-12-2010, 06:48 PM
It's a big deal, but if a GM is serious about not being the youngest in the league and wants to let this team grow together like we thought he would, this is exactly what you can expect. Seems like par for the course with this GM.

Freak Out
03-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Rolle got 10 million the first year of his deal and Collins is better.

RashanGary
03-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Rolle got 15 guaranteed. Sounds like Collins got 14. Short deal though. Strange.

Collins and Pickett aren't like Driver and Rodgers in being the hardest workers in the offseason. I sort of like the shorter deals with guys like this. It motivates them to keep working toward that next deal.

pbmax
03-12-2010, 07:10 PM
If its the usual trade, then Collins got a smaller guarantee for fewer years. In this non Cap year, the first year tells you a lot, but if there is football, he plays cheaply for the following two cap years.

Combined with this year, which is what Silverstein is saying, then its four years, 27.7 million. Or 6.925 million per year. That is below the top five in money. However, Collins get a huge payday upfront, before the lockout/new work rules and another bite at the apple.

My suspicion is that the guaranteed money will be lower too.

RashanGary
03-12-2010, 07:12 PM
If its the usual trade, then Collins got a smaller guarantee for fewer years. In this non Cap year, the first year tells you a lot, but if there is football, he plays cheaply for the following two cap years.

Combined with this year, which is what Silverstein is saying, then its four years, 27.7 million. Or 6.925 million per year. That is below the top five in money. However, Collins get a huge payday upfront, before the lockout/new work rules and another bite at the apple.

My suspicion is that the guaranteed money will be lower too.

Now it's starting to sound better. It's a 4 year deal. Sounds very fair.

pbmax
03-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Rolle got 15 guaranteed. Sounds like Collins got 14. Short deal though. Strange.

Collins and Pickett aren't like Driver and Rodgers in being the hardest workers in the offseason. I sort of like the shorter deals with guys like this. It motivates them to keep working toward that next deal.
$14 mil in the first year does not mean it is guaranteed.

Are you sure about how hard Collins works?

red
03-12-2010, 07:15 PM
well, i think they're calling it a 3 year extention, not a three year deal

so it might be 3 years added to this year. so it would be a 4 year deal worth 23.4 million

he was already getting just under 4 million with his tender, so i bet they gave him a 10 million signing or roster bonus. giving him 14 million first year money

now i'm not saying this is true or not, but that would leave 9 million spread out over the last three years. which is great

RashanGary
03-12-2010, 07:16 PM

They're probably not going to cut him in the first year. Unless it's incentive based, it's all but a guarantee.

I guess I'm not certain about Collins work ethic. There have been a couple offseason he didn't show up for offseason work, but his dad was pretty ill for a couple years now. He wasn't known as the hardest worker coming out. I guess it's an impression I get, but I'm not sure. Not sure about Pickett either, but I get that impression there too.

red
03-12-2010, 07:17 PM
me and you are on the same page here pb

did they say it was new money? or total value?

RashanGary
03-12-2010, 07:19 PM

so it might be 3 years added to this year. so it would be a 4 year deal worth 23.4 million

he was already getting just under 4 million with his tender, so i bet they gave him a 10 million signing or roster bonus. giving him 14 million first year money

now i'm not saying this is true or not, but that would leave 9 million spread out over the last three years. which is great

I think it's 4 years 27.

It started as one year 3 mil, then they added 3 years, 23 making it 4 years 27 in total (some rounding here).

So there are probably about 12 million in the last 3 years. Still, that's a favorable deal and when it gets near the end, Collins will have motivation again to sign early because his last year probably won't be what he's worth.

red
03-12-2010, 07:21 PM

They're probably not going to cut him in the first year. Unless it's incentive based, it's all but a guarantee.

I guess I'm not certain about Collins work ethic. There have been a couple offseason he didn't show up for offseason work, but his dad was pretty ill for a couple years now. He wasn't known as the hardest worker coming out. I guess it's an impression I get, but I'm not sure. Not sure about Pickett either, but I get that impression there too.

it was just last year

and his father was very sick with cancer and ended up dying in may

nick showed up after some time to grieve

the rumor was that he was going to hold out, and when he didn't show up he started to get blasted. even after people found out his dad was literally on his death bed, people still thought it was a holdout

red
03-12-2010, 07:21 PM

I think it's 4 years 27.

It started as one year 3 mil, then they added 3 years, 23 making it 4 years 27 in total (some rounding here).

So there are probably about 12 million in the last 3 years. Still, that's a favorable deal and when it gets near the end, Collins will have motivation again to sign early because his last year probably won't be what he's worth.

yeah, thats still a great deal for us

Bretsky
03-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Bretsky wrong again...it never got ugly

Credit to TT again

Scott Campbell
03-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Strange that it's so short and a lot of that is up front.

I don't think it's so strange - it's long enough to get him to unrestricted free agency next time around.

RashanGary
03-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Strange that it's so short and a lot of that is up front.

I don't think it's so strange - it's long enough to get him to unrestricted free agency next time around.

Yeah. I thought it was only a 3 year deal. The agent signed that 3 million dollar tender so they could say, after the fact, that it was a 3 year "extension" for 7.6 mil per year (top dollar) rather than saying 4 years, 27 million or 6.7/year (less than Rolle)

After finding that it's a 4 year deal, it looks really team friendly. Great job by Pack and NIck does have a lot of extra dough.

red
03-12-2010, 10:50 PM
he'll be an unrestricted free agent when he's 30

he'll get one more big contract after this one if he keeps it up

Packers4Ever
03-12-2010, 11:22 PM
It's a big deal, but if a GM is serious about not being the youngest in the league and wants to let this team grow together like we thought he would, this is exactly what you can expect. Seems like par for the course with this GM.

TT is now serious about not being "the youngest in the league" - ??

When did he come out with that? I must have been asleep that day.

Well good for him, he's been moving real well this week, Good Job, TT !!
8-)

MJZiggy
03-13-2010, 07:25 AM
He had never said that he did intend to be youngest in the league. He just does what he does and we all sit around making assumptions about his intentions.

Scott Campbell
03-13-2010, 07:50 AM
He had never said that he did intend to be youngest in the league. He just does what he does and we all sit around making assumptions about his intentions.

Age of the team is a media stat, and I'm not sure if Ted even bothers to watch it.

RashanGary
03-13-2010, 09:23 AM
Age of the team was a result of circumstance, not intent.

Ted took over an aging team with almost no talent. The result was to be young for a few years while it rebuilt.

Now the base is rebuilt. As the quality players are kept into their 2nd contracts (been saying this for about 4 years), the age of the team is going to go up and the money spent will go up.

Anyone who listened to Ted these last 5 years would have known this was the most likely sinerio. Anyone who's been listening to Ted wouldn't be surprised with all the good players he's kept around at high prices. It's not raining money in Ted's office because the uncapped year. It's raining money in Teds office because finally, there is a base in place worth paying. It took 5 years to rebuild Shermans disaster.

vince
03-13-2010, 09:37 AM
I gotta believe this deal was done when Collins signed the tender, but in any event, it's a good deal for both sides. Both Collins and TT get a lot of goodwill in the end from how this deal went down.

Collins has earned his take for sure, and should be at the height of his game through this deal.

Fritz
03-14-2010, 09:45 AM
PB and Bretsky, haven't you learned anything about these internet message boards?

Most of us are too lazy to look anything up, so all you do is proclaim you were right all along, or just don't say anything about how wrong you were, and cheer the signings and how they went down.

Then you look like you know what you're talking about.

Then you make some crazy wild claims about another topic, get people buzzing about it, and when it turns out you were way off base with your sarcastic criticism, you just ignore what you wrote.

Man, neither of you guys will ever be able to be a sports journalist.