PDA

View Full Version : tauscher next to sign

red
03-12-2010, 07:25 PM
i just saw posted somewhere else that mark is also very close to signing a new deal

great news

get it done TT

MJZiggy
03-12-2010, 07:32 PM
While I really want Tausch signed, I also really want someone developed behind him. We can't be so vulnerable if he's injured.

retailguy
03-12-2010, 07:39 PM
While I really want Tausch signed, I also really want someone developed behind him. We can't be so vulnerable if he's injured.

We're fine there. :wink:

Lurker64
03-12-2010, 07:41 PM

Isn't Lang in line to start at RT, with or without Tauscher?

MJZiggy
03-12-2010, 08:07 PM
I thought Lang was in line at LT. PB?? KY??

Bretsky
03-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I thought Lang was in line at LT. PB?? KY??

RT

Bretsky
03-12-2010, 08:13 PM

If Lang beats out Tauscher, then we have an outstanding team leader who can backup a few positions. But I don't buy that Lang is better.

We need depth at positions. Signing Tauscher would be a huge land for Green Bay.

GET IT DONE

pittstang5
03-12-2010, 08:28 PM

If Lang beats out Tauscher, then we have an outstanding team leader who can backup a few positions. But I don't buy that Lang is better.

We need depth at positions. Signing Tauscher would be a huge land for Green Bay.

GET IT DONE

To play Devil's Advocate - if Lang beats out Tauscher, wouldn't you think TT let's Tausch go. Tausch would be holding a roster spot that a developmental player could have.

Trust me, no one wants to see Tausch be on this team more than I do. BUT, having watched what TT has done in the past, makes me think that if Tausch doesn't win a starting spot...why would the Packers hold onto him.

red
03-12-2010, 08:31 PM

GET IT DONE

To play Devil's Advocate - if Lang beats out Tauscher, wouldn't you think TT let's Tausch go. Tausch would be holding a roster spot that a developmental player could have.

Trust me, no one wants to see Tausch be on this team more than I do. BUT, having watched what TT has done in the past, makes me think that if Tausch doesn't win a starting spot...why would the Packers hold onto him.

i think last year proved that you have to have some talent at backup, not just developmental guys

if lang gets the start and him or clifton gets hurt somehow then i would feel much better with tauscher filling in then giocowhatever or someone like that.

if mark gets signed then the world opens up for us come draft time, we have the luxury of going BPA

pbmax
03-12-2010, 08:56 PM
There is a risk that if Tausch signs he does get beat out by someone, but the calculus changes if Thompson wants him signed before camp. The earlier he signs, the less the team knows who might step up. We won't know until after the draft I would suspect, about when Tauscher will appear. I would normally think Thompson will wait, but he's spending non-cap dollars like a drunken sailor and clearly feels that this is the team's window. So Tausch might get an early present.

As for Lang, various reports had him eligible for all five spots, but McCarthy seemed to lean away from Left Tackle in his comments at the combine. He will not play center with Wells, Spitz and EDS on the squad and it would take a steamshovel to move Sitton out of Right Guard.

So expect Lang to practice at RT and LG.

RashanGary
03-12-2010, 09:00 PM

How do you think they're offense will play, big guy?

pbmax
03-12-2010, 09:03 PM
There is a risk that if Tausch signs he does get beat out by someone, but the calculus changes if Thompson wants him signed before camp. The earlier he signs, the less the team knows who might step up. We won't know until after the draft I would suspect, about when Tauscher will appear. I would normally think Thompson will wait, but he's spending non-cap dollars like a drunken sailor and clearly feels that this is the team's window. So Tausch might get an early present.

As for Lang, various reports had him eligible for all five spots, but McCarthy seemed to lean away from Left Tackle in his comments at the combine. He will not play center with Wells, Spitz and EDS on the squad and it would take a steamshovel to move Sitton out of Right Guard.

In fact, I wouldn't be stunned to see both Lang and Colledge rotate there in camp.

RashanGary
03-12-2010, 09:26 PM
I guess I'd rather see Lang back up the RT and LG positions. Colledge is a serviceable LG and is just hitting his prime. Tascher, now, is a serviceable RT and is near the end.

I guess I'd rather see Lang continue to get work at RT so when we have at least one tackle replacement when we lose the two grey beards.

Bretsky
03-12-2010, 09:35 PM

Ideally I think TT would love to take his time on this one, but if you read all of the free agent list it looks like Tauscher is one of the better unrestricted free agents left and the best RT left as well. The skeptic in me said TT would roll the dice and go with youth at RT. But logic dictates TT will see what happened last year, realize this team has a shot to make a run next year, and get his best RT in here. Time will tell.

Joemailman
03-12-2010, 09:42 PM

We're fine there. :pack: :wow: :cow:

pbmax
03-12-2010, 09:57 PM

We're fine there. :pack: :wow: :cow:
You forgot:

:bclap: :bump:

Joemailman
03-12-2010, 11:27 PM
If the Packers sign an OT early and both Colledge and Spitz return, there will be a pretty competitive situation on the OL:

LT: Clifton/Lang/Rookie
LG: Colledge/Lang/Spitz
C: Wells/Spitz/EDS
RG: Sitton/Spitz
RT: Tauscher/Lang/Giacomini

The big battle will probably be at LG, with the winner joining Clifton, Wells, Sitton and Tauscher in the starting lineup.

Bretsky
03-12-2010, 11:43 PM
it's no guarantee TT will sign Tausch but it sounds like AROD really would like it

Aaron Rodgers is pulling for the Packers to re-sign impending free agent RT Mark Tauscher.
"Without a doubt," Rodgers said. "He was a big part of our success." Signed off the street in-season, Tauscher entered the lineup in October. He wound up starting the last eight regular season games, and Green Bay won seven of them. The 32-year-old appears to have something

THE STATS

After giving up 37 sacks in the first eight games of the season, the Packers have allowed just 14 in the final eight games.
A lot of credit goes to RT Mark Tauscher, who joined the team in late October to replace the struggling trio of Allen Barbre, Breno Giacomini and TJ Lang

Lurker64
03-13-2010, 12:35 AM
If the Packers sign an OT early and both Colledge and Spitz return, there will be a pretty competitive situation on the OL:

LT: Clifton/Lang/Rookie
LG: Colledge/Lang/Spitz
C: Wells/Spitz/EDS
RG: Sitton/Spitz
RT: Tauscher/Lang/Giacomini

The big battle will probably be at LG, with the winner joining Clifton, Wells, Sitton and Tauscher in the starting lineup.

Whichever rookie we draft as Clifton's successor, may also be in the mix for RT duty (as a backup at least) as it's common NFL practice to groom future left tackles on the right side (c.f. Michael Oher, Andre Smith, and Jason Smith last year). So it's entirely possible/probable that both Giacomini and Barbre may be shown the door if they don't drastically improve over last year.

Clifton, Lang, Sitton, Colledge, Wells, Spitz, Tauscher, and whichever rookie we draft to be the successor to Clifton would occupy 8 roster spots. Last year we started the season (the above, minus Tauscher and the rookie, plus Barbre, Giacomini, and EDS) with 9 offensive linemen on the roster, so I wouldn't expect them to keep more than 10 on the final roster. If we only keep nine and we sign Tauscher, you could very well have Barbre, Giacomini, and Evan Dietrich-Smith battling for the final roster spot for offensive linemen.

packerbacker1234
03-13-2010, 12:39 AM
When tauch came in the Line looked completely different. He made a big impact, if anythign other then providing more leadership on that OL.

Mark will be starting this year if signed, but we are fine if he goes down for a game or two thanks to barbe, who proved he is a decent RT if we need him to play.

Gunakor
03-13-2010, 04:23 AM

GET IT DONE

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think Tauscher could back up at multiple positions or has even played multiple positions. If I'm remembering correctly, he's been a RT his whole career, dating all the way back to his career as a Badger. If there were a need for a quality backup at another position, it's more likely they move Lang over to that position and stick Tauscher in at RT. Musical chairs on the OL for another year. Knowing Tauscher is only a RT, do you keep him if he doesn't win the starting gig? I'm not certain I would.

That said, I'm fairly sure that as long as Mark takes care of himself this offseason he'll have little trouble winning that starting spot. I'm almost as sure that Lang would do just fine there if Tauscher weren't signed. I guess I'm rather indifferent here. For the future, it's better to start Lang out this season. For this season, it's better that Tauscher start there. I guess I'm happy either way. I'm just happy it's not Barbre.

Pugger
03-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Tauscher's leadership might be worth signing him if nothing else! :)

vince
03-13-2010, 10:18 AM
If Tausch is signed, I think the best scenario is with him starting at RT and Lang battling Colledge at LG, with the loser being the first man off the bench.

I like Lang more than Colledge at LG at this point personally - both short- and long-term, but I also like him better than Colledge at Tackle if/when needed. He's not as agile on the second level perhaps, but he's more stout protecting Rodgers, which is job 1 in this offense. Given the value of stability along the line, Clifton/Tauscher's age and probability of being out of the lineup at some point, and the fact that Lang is also more effective at tackle if/when needed there, I'm not sure if he's not more valuable as a roving backup than as a starting LG.

You can win with Colledge at Guard, but last year was an indication that maybe you can't win - at least against elite teams - with him at Tackle, so having him be the primary backup there is problematic to me. If Clifton goes down again, it's hard to believe that they would want to make two changes to the line again, so perhaps the best route is to have Lang be the backup at 4 spots, even though he's better than Colledge.

I understand the sentiment that Wells played well enough to retain his position at center, although I still like Spitz there more if he's 100%.

All good "problems" to have, at least going into the year.

RashanGary
03-13-2010, 10:24 AM
I agree, Vince, I don't doubt that Lang can be a better LG than Colledge, but Colledge is serviceable at LG and nobody behind Tauscher is serviceable at RT other than Lang. Hell, nobody behind Clifton is serviceable at LT. Lang is our best bet in both instances. I'd rather see Lang be the primary backup just because our tackles are so old and Lang will give us our best chance in win in case of an injury.

packrulz
03-13-2010, 10:43 AM
When healthy, this is the o-line that would be the strongest, in my opinion:
LT=Clifton
LG=Lang
C=Spitz
RG=Sitton
RT=Taucher

rbaloha1
03-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Colledge is a punk. Fortunate TT provided a generous contract for an over confident mediocre player.

Lang is future starter at whatever position the coaching staff deems appropriate. Tauscher should be resigned and retire as a Packer.

Chubbyhubby
03-13-2010, 04:40 PM
i just saw posted somewhere else that mark is also very close to signing a new deal

great news

get it done TT

it was on the http://www.packerupdate.net page it is under the news and notes section on the right side of the page...

Joemailman
03-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Having a young talented guy like Lang pushing him might be enough to get Colledge to get his head out of his arse and play up to his potential. When healthy, the competition at C, LG and RT should make everyone better.

pbmax
03-13-2010, 05:49 PM
Having a young talented guy like Lang pushing him might be enough to get Colledge to get his head out of his arse and play up to his potential. When healthy, the competition at C, LG and RT should make everyone better.
Also being ticked he got nothing but the second round tender (and that he might not have scored that tender if the Packers could have gotten away with an original round tender) might help as well.

As for Mark, the stats cited earlier for Tauscher's effect on the line are an overestimation of his impact. The ninth game of the season, when Tauscher returned was the Cowboy game. It was also the return to form of Clifton from injury and the change in game plan from McCarthy and the shouldering of more reponsibility by Rodgers for play calling. So Tauscher is fine, but he is not -23 sacks fine.

red
03-14-2010, 07:39 AM
this is a done deal

its a 2 year deal

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/14/report-tauscher-returns-to-packers/

Bretsky
03-14-2010, 09:18 AM
this is a done deal

its a 2 year deal

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/14/report-tauscher-returns-to-packers/

This would really be awesome if it's true; waiting for confirmation

pbmax
03-14-2010, 09:52 AM
If Wilde is reporting it about Tauscher, then I would bet its true. Those guys are pretty close. Both were headquarted in Madison at one point and I think they went to each other's weddings.

Jason Wilde : Mark Tauscher :: Al Jones : Brett Favre

Only slightly less one-sided.

Fritz
03-14-2010, 10:00 AM
I'd like to see them sign Tausch, but only for a year. At some point the team has to settle on a replacement, whether it's Lang or Giacomini or even Barbre. And if Barbre or Giacomini aren't that guy, they their time is up in GB, unless one - probably Barbre - can back up multiple positions.

Scott Campbell
03-14-2010, 10:18 AM
I'd like to see them sign Tausch, but only for a year.

Depending on the signing bonus, many 2 year deals are actually 1 year deals with a team option for the 2nd year.

rbaloha1
03-14-2010, 11:28 AM
I'd like to see them sign Tausch, but only for a year. At some point the team has to settle on a replacement, whether it's Lang or Giacomini or even Barbre. And if Barbre or Giacomini aren't that guy, they their time is up in GB, unless one - probably Barbre - can back up multiple positions.

IMO Barbre is a guard. Gia has proven nothing. Expect Packers to draft o-linemen with the backups failing to make the team.

red
03-14-2010, 11:44 AM
this is a done deal

its a 2 year deal

This would really be awesome if it's true; waiting for confirmation

sounds pretty true

http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/includes/news_items/40/news_items_more.php?id=2976&section_id=40

packrulz
03-14-2010, 11:48 AM

IMO Barbre is a guard. Gia has proven nothing. Expect Packers to draft o-linemen with the backups failing to make the team.
I still would like to see Barbre more at RT during minicamp, he might just need more experience, and Lang could be the LG.

Brandon494
03-14-2010, 11:53 AM
LT=Clifton
LG=Lang
C=Spitz
RG=Sitton
RT=Taucher

I agree but I'd rather have Wells at center and Spitz at LG so Lang can backup both tackle position because more likely then not Clifton or Tauchser will go down with an injury some time in the season.

Bretsky
03-14-2010, 12:09 PM
We've set oursleves up nicely next year and to the point where GB IMO should not feel a need to go OT in round one if somebody of great value...aka...a pass rushing DE or LB...falls into their laps.

I'm sure we'll draft at least one solid OT in the first few rounds but TT has did a nice just setting the team up for next year so he does not have to.

Maybe we can even bargain hunt a little bit later in free agency as well. I do think there are some decent linebackers and players in the secondary who could be nice upgrades.

But honestly, of somebody would have said we were going to secure up Clifton and Tauscher in free agency, I'd have been happy with that.

Wait, perhaps me being content with our free agency might be a bad sign :idea: :?:

pbmax
03-14-2010, 12:19 PM

They tried Barbre at guard for two years, even gave him the starting reps in year two at LG and he couldn't adjust. If he doesn't make it as a tackle, he is gone.

CaptainKickass
03-14-2010, 12:27 PM
"We're putting the band back together, man!"

http://nimbusentertainment.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/blues.jpg

Lurker64
03-14-2010, 12:36 PM
LT=Clifton
LG=Lang
C=Spitz
RG=Sitton
RT=Taucher

I agree but I'd rather have Wells at center and Spitz at LG so Lang can backup both tackle position because more likely then not Clifton or Tauchser will go down with an injury some time in the season.

I agree. It would probably be best to keep Lang at T, so we can avoid ruining another young player by trying to teach him 43 different positions all at once.

Joemailman
03-14-2010, 12:47 PM
"We're putting the band back together, man!"

http://nimbusentertainment.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/blues.jpg

We're on a mission from God!

Fritz
03-14-2010, 01:04 PM
If Bretsky and others are correct, then this training camp is huge, huge, huge for Barbre and Giacomini. They've got to show they're the right tackle of either now or the near future, or they're gone.

RashanGary
03-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Gonna be a tough line to crack. I'm sure we're going to add a prospect or two in the draft.

I'm really hoping we add a great LT prospect. If we do that, the line is looking really good for now and going forward.

Joemailman
03-14-2010, 02:09 PM
If TT drafts both the projected LT of the future, and a Lang-type who can play both RT and G, then Giaco and Barbre are in trouble. Giaco has to show he, not Lang, is the heir apparent at RT. Barbre's only strong point is that he has played both G and RT. The problem is that he has played both badly. He is probably gone unless TT does nothing in the draft to strengthen the OL.

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Maybe we can even bargain hunt a little bit later in free agency as well. I do think there are some decent linebackers and players in the secondary who could be nice upgrades.

names?

Fritz
03-15-2010, 07:07 AM
From the article today about the signing, the Packers already are overcrowded, with nine plus Erectile-Dysfunction Smith. If the Packers draft a left tackle - and my gosh, they almost have to, don't they? - then a couple guys got to go.

Barring injuries: Unless Colledge comes in and is lights out start to finish, then my guess is that - if Spitz performs well - then Colledge, Smith, and Giacomini/Barbre are gone.

If Spitz doesn't pick up his end and EDS is lights out, he might be in trouble.

I'm thinking that the Pack might be wishing someone would sign Colledge. But no way I can see that happening.

SkinBasket
03-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Tauscher just completed his 10th year with the Packers. He bailed the Packers out of a crisis on the offensive line midway through the 2009 season, taking over his customary right tackle position and stabilizing the line... After he re-signed, the Packers stopped hemorrhaging sacks and began to play better on offense.

Bedard is a moron. He obviously doesn't know Atari Bigby was responsible for all of this.

pittstang5
03-15-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm thinking that the Pack might be wishing someone would sign Colledge. But no way I can see that happening.

OR would want to trade for him.

What's he worth? 3rd, 4th, 5th? He's not bad when motivated, but he's not great either.

pbmax
03-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Tauscher just completed his 10th year with the Packers. He bailed the Packers out of a crisis on the offensive line midway through the 2009 season, taking over his customary right tackle position and stabilizing the line... After he re-signed, the Packers stopped hemorrhaging sacks and began to play better on offense.

Bedard is a moron. He obviously doesn't know Atari Bigby was responsible for all of this.
Bigby also got a mention in Dan Brown's new book. He really is the key to everything.

vince
03-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Bigby is SkinBasket's lost symbol, and he will never let him go. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfv3kBzJZgU&feature=related)