PDA

View Full Version : brady quinn to the broncos!

gbgary
03-14-2010, 04:34 PM
got him for fb peyton hillis, a 2011 6th-round draft selection and a conditional 2012 draft selection. cheap if he can get better or did cleveland rob them? he'll end up the starter at some point.

Brando19
03-14-2010, 05:24 PM
I don't know. If he couldn't beat out Derek Anderson...what makes you think he can beat out Kyle Orton who had a strong season? Holmgren was busy today trading away first rounders. He traded Quinn to the Broncos and he traded OLB Kamerion Wimbley, a 2006 first rounder, to the Raiders. Hmmm....wonder if he'll trade another first rounder, Joe Thomas, to the Packers?

pbmax
03-14-2010, 06:00 PM
got him for fb peyton hillis, a 2011 6th-round draft selection and a conditional 2012 draft selection. cheap if he can get better or did cleveland rob them? he'll end up the starter at some point.
Unless that fullback is Tom Rathman reincarnated, he was giving him away. A 2011 6th translates to a 2010 seventh. The conditional would be the only saving grace if he catches fire.

red
03-14-2010, 06:19 PM
word was he was going to be cut if no suitors were found

holmgren took anything he could get

quinn just has a below average arm for an nfl QB, thats never going to change

pbmax
03-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Why send Wimbley away for a third round pick? Trading down, OK. But this seems to be just because his contract has one more year. That's truly rebuilding.

Bossman641
03-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Hmmm, remember all those fans who wanted TT to draft Quinn because he was a sure thing and Rodgers would never amount to anything. :oops:

Bretsky
03-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Hmmm, remember all those fans who wanted TT to draft Quinn because he was a sure thing and Rodgers would never amount to anything. :oops:

We had Favre then; nobody that I can remember, at least, wanted Brady Quinn. Of course not many wanted Justine Harrell either.

Several questioned why TT could not make the trade happen that Dallas received with Cleveland....who was looking to trade up to nab Quinn. Dallas robbbed them. Dallas basically received the pick for Felix Jones...if I recall right.

Joemailman
03-14-2010, 08:12 PM

Can't say I recall. My recollection is that a lot of people wanted TT to draft a WR. There were also those who felt after the fact that TT should have traded down when the Browns came calling.

pbmax
03-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Some perhaps. But others wanted to trade that pick to the Browns and pick up a number one the next year I think, instead of drafting a DT. That opinion gained steam in retrospect, after Harrell got injured.

Brando19
03-14-2010, 09:19 PM

Actually...I don't remember anyone wanting TT to draft Quinn.

packers11
03-14-2010, 10:30 PM

I do...

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=4761&highlight=quinn

and

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=5123&highlight=quinn

packers11
03-14-2010, 10:32 PM
^ enjoy :lol:

Scott Campbell
03-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Bust.

Lurker64
03-14-2010, 10:57 PM
^ enjoy :lol:

I did!

Ingle Martin is still going to be a superstar...

Little Whiskey
03-14-2010, 11:05 PM
I do...

and

good read! :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Did this news deserve an exclamation mark at the end of it?
:D

Little Whiskey
03-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Did this news deserve an exclamation mark at the end of it?

maybe gary was excited. or maybe he likes exclamation points.

by the way, whats the diff between a point and a mark?. you can't call a ? a question mark or question point. how come you can with a !? hmmmmm

red
03-14-2010, 11:41 PM

I do...

and

wow, that's shocker

not only was patler wrong about something(very rare), but he was really wrong about something

Joemailman
03-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Well I wasn't one of those who wanted TT to draft Quinn. Phew! I sure didn't think Quinn would be a bust though. Sure am glad TT took Justin Harrell instead! :lol:

Avtually, I wanted Dwayne Bowe.

Lurker64
03-14-2010, 11:47 PM
not only was patler wrong about something(very rare), but he was really wrong about something

I think it just goes to show how much of a crapshoot the draft really is.

Also, who's to say that Quinn wouldn't have turned out better if he didn't end up in an environment as diseased as the one they had in Cleveland during his tenure?

Joemailman
03-14-2010, 11:52 PM
I remember the Sporting News having Quinn rated much lower than most. Had him rated a 3rd round value I believe. They did predict he would be picked much sooner than that though.

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2010, 01:24 AM
At least, Patler wasn't as wrong as wist.

I haven't watched much of him...

I'm pretty well convinced that Rodgers can't play though - so QB has to be their #1 need.

Wonder what Partial would say. He sure has a tough time evaluating QBs.

I think Brady is going to be a good quarterback. He'll be a top 7 starter in the league in a few years.

channtheman
03-15-2010, 01:39 AM
As bad as those topics looks, Rodgers certainly did NOT look like a stud his first 2 years which is as many as Quinn has been in the league right?

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2010, 01:41 AM
As bad as those topics looks, Rodgers certainly did NOT look like a stud his first 2 years which is as many as Quinn has been in the league right?

I think Quinn has been in the league for 3 years. Big difference though. Rodgers barely played--except in mopup duty for a couple of games. Quinn has been given chances to win the starting job, and has failed to hold onto it.

Fritz
03-15-2010, 07:12 AM
I believe I was one of the ones clamoring for the trade with Cleveland - drop down and pick up an extra #1 the following year? Wow. Can't believe Thompson didn't do it.

pack4to84
03-15-2010, 07:34 AM
If Quinn drops to 16 pick there is no way TT passes on him. He reminds me of a Tom Brady type QB.
Wow was I ever wrong. :oops:

red
03-15-2010, 10:03 AM

I think it just goes to show how much of a crapshoot the draft really is.

Also, who's to say that Quinn wouldn't have turned out better if he didn't end up in an environment as diseased as the one they had in Cleveland during his tenure?

its not just because he's on a bad team.

for as big as he is, he's got a weak arm. it takes forever for his ball to get to the sideline. thats'a a killer in the nfl

channtheman
03-15-2010, 10:43 AM

I think Quinn has been in the league for 3 years. Big difference though. Rodgers barely played--except in mopup duty for a couple of games. Quinn has been given chances to win the starting job, and has failed to hold onto it.

Quinn was also thrust into games right away. There is a big difference between how Rodgers got to start his career sitting for 3 years and Quinn. This is like people saying Alex Smith sucks and the 49ers should have taken Rodgers with the first pick that year. But had they done that and thrown Rodgers into the mix, he probably would have sucked too.

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Quinn was also thrust into games right away. There is a big difference between how Rodgers got to start his career sitting for 3 years and Quinn. This is like people saying Alex Smith sucks and the 49ers should have taken Rodgers with the first pick that year. But had they done that and thrown Rodgers into the mix, he probably would have sucked too.

Not really. Quinn didn't play until the final week of his rookie season. He didn't play until week 10 of his second season. I think the Packers developed Rodgers the right way, but ultimately you fail or succeed because you are either good enough or not. The Browns afforded Quinn more time than most first round QBs get nowadays. Flacco and Ryan proved you can succeed as a rookie. Even though his stats weren't great, Stafford showed a lot more in his rookie season than Quinn has in three years.

Have you seen Quinn play? Personally, he hasn't shown me anything. By his second preseason, I'd seen enough from Rodgers to be excited about his future. By his third preseason, I was pretty sure he'd be a good QB. Quinn isn't that mobile. His arm isn't that strong. He doesn't even appear to be overly accurate.

Scott Campbell
03-15-2010, 11:09 AM
I wonder how responsible McCarthy's QB school was for Rodgers development.

pbmax
03-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Quinn held out from his first training camp. That certainly didn't help him. Starting him that first year was no help. And the team stunk. Then there was a coaching change. Just about everything that could go wrong did.

mission
03-15-2010, 12:03 PM
He doesn't have an arm and never did.

Nothing else really matters unless you're just one of those accuracy (Montana) guys which he never was either.

His "rep" came from his moxy, good looks, ND and his sister banging AJ Hawk. Nice potential "face of your franchise".

Looking back at some of those quotes makes me laugh.

He's never going to be the guy, but might play some meaningful snaps throughout his career.

swede
03-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Quinn held out from his first training camp. That certainly didn't help him. Starting him that first year was no help. And the team stunk. Then there was a coaching change. Just about everything that could go wrong did.

We beat the Browns 31-3 and I remember it was one of those games where you cringed at how awful the other team played on offense. I don't remember if Quinn played. I do know that another quarterback was running bass ackwards and flinging prayers sideways to TE's or WR's still on the line of scrimmage. It was ugly.

It made me think that we may never know which of the league's awful quarterbacks might have been great in the right situation.

And then I thought of Favre. If Wolf doesn't make that call Favre might have ended up mowing grass for a living instead of for relaxation.

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2010, 12:17 PM

They didn't really start him that first year though. He didn't throw a pass until the final game of the season.

Brandon494
03-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Never thought Quinn was any good, just over hyped because he played for ND.

Bossman641
03-15-2010, 12:52 PM

I do...

and

Thank you

I was beginning to think I was going crazy when 4 straight people told me I was wrong.

swede
03-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:01 pm Post subject:
I think Brady (Quinn) is going to be a good quarterback. He'll be a top 7 starter in the league in a few years.

Cue Barbra Streisand: "Scattered pictures of the smiles we left behind..."

Merlin
03-15-2010, 01:45 PM

I wanted Thompson to take Quinn because at the time he was BPA (which went 100% to Thompson's philosophy to draft the best football player), it had nothing to do with Rodgers. Had he taken Quinn, he was instant trade bait to the Browns (and it was no secret the Brown's wanted Quinn) who gave their left nut for the guy. Instead, we took a guy who didn't play football for much of his college career because he had major injuries. I didn't like the Harrell pick then and I don't like it now, Quinn was the smart move for the Packers back then. I believe the logic was "The Broncos were going to select him" at the time which is a stupid reason to draft someone. Harrell was not BPA in any way, shape, or form and I think Thompson could have done more with trade bait and extra picks than what has transpired with Harrell.

HarveyWallbangers
03-15-2010, 03:27 PM
I wanted Thompson to take Quinn because at the time he was BPA (which went 100% to Thompson's philosophy to draft the best football player), it had nothing to do with Rodgers. Had he taken Quinn, he was instant trade bait to the Browns (and it was no secret the Brown's wanted Quinn) who gave their left nut for the guy. Instead, we took a guy who didn't play football for much of his college career because he had major injuries. I didn't like the Harrell pick then and I don't like it now, Quinn was the smart move for the Packers back then. I believe the logic was "The Broncos were going to select him" at the time which is a stupid reason to draft someone. Harrell was not BPA in any way, shape, or form and I think Thompson could have done more with trade bait and extra picks than what has transpired with Harrell.

You sound like our president with this argument.

swede
03-15-2010, 03:33 PM

My God, even HE hated the Harrell pick!

RashanGary
03-15-2010, 03:42 PM
I wanted Thompson to take Quinn because at the time he was BPA (which went 100% to Thompson's philosophy to draft the best football player), it had nothing to do with Rodgers.

You have no clue who Thompson thought was the Best Player Available.

Had he taken Quinn, he was instant trade bait to the Browns (and it was no secret the Brown's wanted Quinn) who gave their left nut for the guy. Instead, we took a guy who didn't play football for much of his college career because he had major injuries. I didn't like the Harrell pick then and I don't like it now, Quinn was the smart move for the Packers back then. I believe the logic was "The Broncos were going to select him" at the time which is a stupid reason to draft someone. Harrell was not BPA in any way, shape, or form and I think Thompson could have done more with trade bait and extra picks than what has transpired with Harrell.

Players can come out of college with major health concerns and start every game of their career, eventually setting records for accountability that nobody will ever break (see Brett Favre, not supposing to last more than 5-7 years in the NFL acording to Wolf)

and

Players can never have so much as the flu through their entire athletic career and not even make it through a full NFL season before injury ends their whole career (see Terrence Murphy).

Every player can get injured. The fact that Harrell has an injury history doesn't make Ted's decision making any more faulty than the Vikings when they chose the RB that couldn't stay healthy in college. In hindsight, it was a bad pick, just like Favre could have been if his intestinal problems had ended his career before it started. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't, but the things you are saying just don't pass the sniff test. Smells like shit to me.

Brandon494
03-15-2010, 03:58 PM

:roll:

RashanGary
03-15-2010, 04:01 PM
Ted's drafted players that have had injuries in the past and it's worked out well. He'll take more in the future and many of those will work out.

He'll take some with no injury history adn some of those will work out, some won't.

Those are facts. Injuries are a part of the decision, but a lot more goes into it than that.

pbmax
03-15-2010, 04:10 PM

Merlin, the possible trade with the Browns was hindsight. Same with the objections to the Harrell pick. Everyone who objected to the Harrell pick started with the argument that is wasn't a position of need and therefore something else should have taken precedence. Then the concerns about his injuries started. Then people learned that the Browns had called looking to trade. When he got hurt people emerged from the ground claiming they knew it was a bad pick and we should have traded with the Browns.

If you read those two threads (quoted two posts above your post quoted by me) your argument at the time, same as Patler's, was that a competition between two prospects would increase the chance of having a worthy successor. After the fact, all those issues have become conflated.