Willard
07-31-2006, 08:40 PM
I saw this link on Packernet.com:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/nfl/20060731-1522-fbn-49ers-roman.html

Roman criticizes Packers after signing with San Francisco

By Greg Beacham
ASSOCIATED PRESS

3:22 p.m. July 31, 2006

SANTA CLARA – Mark Roman won't forget the way the Green Bay Packers treated him.
The veteran safety participated in his first practice Monday since signing a one-year contract with the San Francisco 49ers. After two years as a starter in Green Bay, he was cut by the Packers on Thursday, just one day before the club opened training camp – and more than four months after he requested his release.

Though Roman quickly found a new NFL home, he knew he was fortunate to do so on such short notice – and his discontent with the Packers before his release is nothing compared to his feelings now.

“They handled the situation bad, the way they did it, and not letting me go to camp,” Roman said. “I wish they had handled it differently.”

Roman said the Packers were hesitant to give him permission to talk to other teams after Green Bay signed safety Marquand Manuel as a free agent in the offseason. Roman, who started 31 games for Green Bay over the last two seasons, became disenchanted when the team made that move, asking for his release in March and then skipping some offseason workouts.

But Roman is happy to be in San Francisco, where he'll compete for a starting job with his third team in four seasons. The 49ers are woefully thin in the secondary, with no proven NFL starter to play next to Tony Parrish at safety.

“I just saw an opportunity for me to contribute over here,” Roman said. “This is an opportunity. It's a challenge, and I like a challenge. The weather isn't bad, either, coming from Green Bay.”

Packers general manager Ted Thompson said the club held onto Roman until it was comfortable there were plenty of strong contenders to take Roman's job. Roman made just two interceptions in two seasons with Green Bay.

Roman spent Monday learning the terminology in the defense coached by Mike Nolan and coordinator Billy Davis. The defense is dissimilar to the Packers' scheme, but bears similarities to the defense he played in Cincinnati during his first four NFL seasons.

Roman already has checked the 49ers' schedule, and he acknowledged he'll have a bit of special motivation when the Packers visit Candlestick Park on Dec. 10.

“I always have motivation,” Roman said. “It's a challenge, because I don't want to be giving in to anything.”

red
07-31-2006, 09:04 PM
sweet, the offense should have a huge game dec. 10

can't wait

Partial
07-31-2006, 09:06 PM
sweet, the offense should have a huge game dec. 10

can't wait

:lol: :lol: :lol:

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2006, 09:10 PM
Roman better hope he's just on the Niners roster on December 10th.

ahaha
07-31-2006, 09:11 PM
What a boob! I could understand his fustration with the Packers if he had played well at all. But he was flat out AWFUL for two years with the Pack. Uh-oh, Roman is pissed. Watch out for him when the 49ers play the Packers. I'm so scared......mommy.

BallHawk
07-31-2006, 09:32 PM
Roman better hope he's just on the Niners roster on December 10th.

He will be. If it was anybody but the 49ers(or the Raiders) I'd have my doubts, but he's gonna be on there. Man, I can't wait till Jennings burns Roman on a deep route. That will be sweet.

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 09:33 PM
Personally, I don't feel he reacted any different than most players would. Considering the late date he was released by Ted Thompson, or just prior to OUR TC opening.

“They handled the situation bad, the way they did it, and not letting me go to camp,” Roman said. “I wish they had handled it differently.” Mark Roman

Fairly mild complaint I'd say.

If that was a trashing? I'd like to see someone let it all out, that was really pissed over a similiar matter. :mrgreen:

He was fortunate to find a team to give him a shot, and as a result of that one man on the 49ers Roster - had his dreams interupted,became unemployed.

So far, that wasn't Mark Roman's fate.

gureski
07-31-2006, 09:34 PM
Since when the hell does a team have to cut a player who is under contract just because it's best for that individual player? These comments are so over the line selfish that it's unreal. It's as if he was doing the Packers a favor by playing here the last couple years.

BallHawk
07-31-2006, 09:39 PM
At least he didn't make a remark about Applebee's.

woodbuck27
07-31-2006, 10:01 PM
At least he didn't make a remark about Applebee's.

Cool ! :cool:

GBRulz
07-31-2006, 10:13 PM
"the weather isn't bad either, coming from Green Bay"......

I'm assuming he is referring to our winters here. Which cracks me up when players act like they play in the north pole ALL season long.

CaliforniaCheez
07-31-2006, 10:52 PM
I don't see Roman "trashing" the Pack. Saying his wituation was not handled correctly is an accurate statement.

What if in April the Packers told Roman's agent to persue a trade?
The Packers could have received something in return.

There is nothing wrong in what he said. He found a team that really wants him.

The 49'ers got a deal. Roman is re-employed quickly.
The Packers got nothing.

San Francisco has great football weather.
Green Bay is hotter in the summer and colder in the winter.

Partial
07-31-2006, 10:55 PM
What if in April the Packers told Roman's agent to persue a trade?
The Packers could have received something in return.

The 49'ers got a deal.

No one does he even net a 7th in trade.

CaliforniaCheez
07-31-2006, 11:02 PM
Morley was worth a 7th.

Roman, Wahle, Sharper, both of the Thomas guys were worth nothing.

As much as I like Ted Thompson acquiring talent, I am disappointed in the way he throws it away.

Noodle
07-31-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm with Cheese (brutal Avatar!) and the Buck -- we are a bunch of thin skinned little ninnies. The guy saw the writing on the wall, he knew he wasn't going to play here, so he wanted out as soon as possible so he could get a job with someone else. I'd have felt the same way at my job.

I don't blame TT for making sure before cutting the strings, but at the same time, I don't blame the player for wanting to get out there as soon as possible and make a new start.

Grrrrrrski, come on -- yeah, he was under contract, a contract that the Pack could trash whenever it wanted. Spare me the whole "honor your contract" bit. If contracts were sacred, we wouldn't be bringing in guys to take his job -- after all, we've signed the contract too.

And if you think that's a trashing, you should hear the barge full of crap I gotta hear from my wife and kids every day.

Partial
07-31-2006, 11:04 PM
Morley was worth a 7th.

As much as I like Ted Thompson acquiring talent, I am disappointed in the way he throws it away.

Alright, MAYBE Roman was worth a 7th. Maybe. The other people had salary cap implications if they were traded, thats why they were cut.

ND72
07-31-2006, 11:10 PM
i am one of the few who liked Roman....but seriously, how bout instead of whinning about the packers signing manuel, you man up and win the spot. man that annoyed me. and now that they let him go, he's gonna whine more about it. I do believe we play the 9ers this year....Come on Brett...if you have 1 good game, make it against them, now.

Packgator
08-01-2006, 01:01 AM
""“They handled the situation bad, the way they did it, and not letting me go to camp,” Roman said. “I wish they had handled it differently.”""

That's trashing?

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Well, clearly Roman didn't do any trashing. Comparing the weather in San Fran to G.B. is not exactly a body blow.

TT did not want to give Roman a fair chance to compete for a job. Maybe TT guessed that Roman would not be happy as a backup if he lost out. Or perhaps he was determined to see his high-priced FA start.

Any time a player has a conflict with the team, the true believers trash the player.

Creepy
08-01-2006, 07:55 AM
What he did:
He complains that they should have rel;eased him sooner so he could get on another team.

What it means:
I could then have been a free agent and maybe signed a better deal for a bonus.

The drfat is over and soe anybody belive that a single team would have drafted differently if Roman had been available? He is going to try and win a spot in SF where their defense and DBs were killed last year. The 49ers signed hiom because they have huge problmes and hope that Roman will fill in enough to keep the dam from breaking.

Roma cried when they signed Manual, he cried when they wouldn't let him go, and now he cries when they do. Just watch, if he doesn't win the start or is cut by SF it somehow will also be GBs fault.

pbmax
08-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Morley was worth a 7th.

Roman torched that possibility when he demanded his release. Clearly he wasn't going to handle demotion well.

At that point, no team is going to trade for marginal talent when they can reasonably expect his outright release sooner rather than later.

Cheez and Roman do have a point however. We haven't seen T2 or M3 turn on the charm and bring someone around 180 degrees. Remember the all out assault to sign White and the team effort to get Keith Jackson to report?

It will be easier when the team is on the right side of .500, but sweet talking Roman would have been good for depth.

As for Sharper and Wahle, its beyond the point. No one was going to hand out the cash that remained in Sharper's bloated contract. He signed a much more cap friendly deal in Minnesota. He also stinks, but that's just my personal evaluation.

Wahle had a high cap number if they paid the $6 mil bonus, and a sign and trade would have been very difficult at that number.

pbmax
08-01-2006, 08:19 AM
And when it comes to Wahle and guards, just remember the Anti-Polar Bear corollary:

Logan Mankins would have made the Packers forget about Javon Walker, a healthy Ahman Green and bypassing safeties that shut down Darren Charles and led them to a Super Bowl.

That's right, a guard is the most important position on offense.

Just look at the Patriots fourth Super Bowl victory last year for your proof.

MadtownPacker
08-01-2006, 08:20 AM
Man forget roman! He WAS good for depth but now he is gone and talking smack so I hope he gets lit up Dec. 10th. My only concern is that he wont be the starter but with SF having lost alot of their secondary his chances are good.

How fitting that he is now a Forty-Whiner.

Scott Campbell
08-01-2006, 08:35 AM
TT did not want to give Roman a fair chance to compete for a job.

So Ted's not being "fair"???

Come on, they're going to make 25 + more cuts before the end of training camp. This is about doing what's best for the team, not about being "fair". Roman had 2 years worth of starts to prove his worth. I'm not sure it gets any "fairer" than that.

I don't think it's "fair" that you try and portray Ted's motives as being somewhat sinister.

BF4MVP
08-01-2006, 11:12 AM
I remember when Roman signed with the Pack. He seemed like a really personable guy, and he seemed to fall in love with the city, and the fans..

He was impressed that Family Night was sold out that year. "We didn't even sell out for a game in Cincinnati."

Also he once said "I have no intentions of leaving Green Bay. I love it here."

It's a shame that things had to end this way...

RashanGary
08-01-2006, 11:14 AM
I think 2 years, 2 INT's and 0 Forced fumbles was a pretty good chance. The guy was mediocre at best and opened his mouth one too many times.

SEE YA.

BF4MVP
08-01-2006, 11:21 AM
I won't miss Roman at all.."Don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya"

I'm just sayin when he first signed here, it seemed like he would fit in well. But it didn't work out.

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2006, 01:22 PM

I don't think it's "fair" that you try and portray Ted's motives as being somewhat sinister.

I gave a balanced view, it only sounds like I am being unfair if you quote this single sentence out of context.

Noodle
08-01-2006, 08:59 PM
So, SC, what's with putting the quotes around "fair"?

Does that somehow "make" your "point"? :wink:

Without trying to be antagonistic, I agree that fairness is not a something that I think most GMs care that much about. As Brady said when Milloy got dealt, the NFL is as cut-throat a business as you can find. That's why I don't blame TT for holding on to Roman as long as he did, and that's why I don't blame Roman for being miffed about it.

But PBMax makes a great point about TT's apparent inability to throw down much love. I continue to believe that if TT had gone to Longwell when he missed those kicks last year, in mid-season, and offered to extend him, we might have been able to keep one of the most accurate kickers around.

Never doubt the power of love, especially in this most cut throat of businesses.

Iron Mike
08-01-2006, 09:03 PM

So Ted's not being "fair"???

Come on, they're going to make 25 + more cuts before the end of training camp. This is about doing what's best for the team, not about being "fair". Roman had 2 years worth of starts to prove his worth. I'm not sure it gets any "fairer" than that.

Roman had 2 years worth of starts to prove his worth........why is TT still hanging on to Ferguson then???? :roll: