PDA

View Full Version : Is Goodell just a fricken moron?

Tony Oday
03-16-2010, 02:43 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Giants-to-play-opener-at-new-stadium-Jets-owner-outraged-031510

I have a great plan...HAVE THEM PLAY EACHOTHER!!!!! Wow that was tough...

CaliforniaCheez
03-16-2010, 02:44 PM
If they play each other who is in the "visiting" locker room.

When it comes to being petty there is no limit on the human imagination.

Tony Oday
03-16-2010, 02:53 PM
That is true...They should have had a game last year and the winner got to be the home team...or use alltime records against eachother! :)

Tony Oday
03-16-2010, 02:53 PM
on second thought don't they have seperate locker rooms for the Jets and Giants?

Lurker64
03-16-2010, 02:55 PM
The schedule is pretty much out of the hands of Goodell, if they weren't scheduled to play each other in the regular season, by the formula, his hands are tied.

For the record, a team's schedule always consists of:
1) Division opponents at home
2) Division opponents on the road
3) One entire AFC division, on a rotating basis half at home and half on the way.
4) One entire NFC division, on a rotating basis, half at home and half on the road.
5) One home game against a team in your conference (that you're not scheduled to play via #3 or #4) that finished in the same position in division rankings the previous year (so first place teams play first place teams, fourth place teams play fourth place teams, etc.)
6) One away game against a team in your conference (that you're not scheduled to play via #3 or #4) that finished in the same position in division rankings the previous year (so first place teams play first place teams, fourth place teams play fourth place teams, etc.)

The Jets play the NFC South this year and the Giants play the AFC West next year, no way for them to play each other.

Tony Oday
03-16-2010, 02:59 PM
The schedule is pretty much out of the hands of Goodell, if they weren't scheduled to play each other in the regular season, by the formula, his hands are tied.

For the record, a team's schedule always consists of:
1) Division opponents at home
2) Division opponents on the road
3) One entire AFC division, on a rotating basis half at home and half on the way.
4) One entire NFC division, on a rotating basis, half at home and half on the road.
5) One home game against a team in your conference (that you're not scheduled to play via #3 or #4) that finished in the same position in division rankings the previous year (so first place teams play first place teams, fourth place teams play fourth place teams, etc.)
6) One away game against a team in your conference (that you're not scheduled to play via #3 or #4) that finished in the same position in division rankings the previous year (so first place teams play first place teams, fourth place teams play fourth place teams, etc.)

The Jets play the NFC South this year and the Giants play the AFC West next year, no way for them to play each other.

BS he can make a special rule or ruling allowing this to happen...not the US House! Ok they are making up rules too but you get my meaning ;)

Lurker64
03-16-2010, 03:07 PM
BS he can make a special rule or ruling allowing this to happen...not the US House! Ok they are making up rules too but you get my meaning ;)

It would kind of mess up things for everybody else though, since if the Jets play the Giants instead of one of their rotating conference opponents, the Jets and the Giants would have one less conference game than everybody else (and conference victories are generally the most relevant tiebreaker for playoff positioning).

If Goodell made it so the Jets had the Giants instead of one of their NFC South opponents (and the Giants had the Jets instead of one of their AFC West opponents), that would be a mess since how would you decide which team they don't have to play? I'm sure the Jets would prefer not to play the Saints, but would be angry if their game against the Bucs were cancelled, and the Giants would prefer to play the Chiefs but wouldn't mind missing their game against the Chargers. Plus, what do you do with the two teams who have games taken away from them? Have them play each other? Wouldn't they start bitching if they lose a perceived "easier game" to play against the Jets or Giants? Wouldn't everybody else start bitching if they get an "easier" game because they are now playing the Jets/Giants instead of somebody who is perceived to be better?

The logistics just aren't reasonable.

Little Whiskey
03-16-2010, 10:33 PM

It would kind of mess up things for everybody else though, since if the Jets play the Giants instead of one of their rotating conference opponents, the Jets and the Giants would have one less conference game than everybody else (and conference victories are generally the most relevant tiebreaker for playoff positioning).

If Goodell made it so the Jets had the Giants instead of one of their NFC South opponents (and the Giants had the Jets instead of one of their AFC West opponents), that would be a mess since how would you decide which team they don't have to play? I'm sure the Jets would prefer not to play the Saints, but would be angry if their game against the Bucs were cancelled, and the Giants would prefer to play the Chiefs but wouldn't mind missing their game against the Chargers. Plus, what do you do with the two teams who have games taken away from them? Have them play each other? Wouldn't they start bitching if they lose a perceived "easier game" to play against the Jets or Giants? Wouldn't everybody else start bitching if they get an "easier" game because they are now playing the Jets/Giants instead of somebody who is perceived to be better?

The logistics just aren't reasonable.

yep, its kinda like my wife asking me why i can't just move the light in the ceiling over to where she wants to move the table. on the surface it looks like an easy move, but its the supporting parts that are the pain in the ass!

Joemailman
03-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Both teams get to open at home in Week 1. Giants get the 1st game, but the Jets get the prime time game. Are the Jets afraid the Giants will trash the place before they get a chance to play there? I guess I don't see a problem with Goodell's solution.

channtheman
03-18-2010, 01:12 AM
I don't see where the problem is at all. Who cares if the Giants play first on Sunday? I'm a Packer fan but also a fan of the NFL and I don't give two shits about the new stadium.

hoosier
03-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Both teams get to open at home in Week 1. Giants get the 1st game, but the Jets get the prime time game. Are the Jets afraid the Giants will trash the place before they get a chance to play there? I guess I don't see a problem with Goodell's solution.

I think you have hit the nail on the head: Woody Johnson does not like the idea of playing on Monday night because the Jets will be playing on a "used" field. :lol:

Tony Oday
03-18-2010, 11:24 AM

I think you have hit the nail on the head: Woody Johnson does not like the idea of playing on Monday night because the Jets will be playing on a "used" field. :lol:

I agree that there should be no problem with the solution...however you have an owner that is actually part owner of that monolith of a stadium, its like getting a toy when you are a kid and not being hte first to play with it...dumb yes...but they should have played eachother in the opener.

hoosier
03-18-2010, 01:04 PM

I agree that there should be no problem with the solution...however you have an owner that is actually part owner of that monolith of a stadium, its like getting a toy when you are a kid and not being hte first to play with it...dumb yes...but they should have played eachother in the opener.
Scheduling an NFCE vs AFCE game in a year where those divisions don't play would be a logistical nightmare. Which games would they cancel so that the Jets could play the Giants? And who would their Week 1 opponents--Houston and Washington--play? You can't have them play each other because then they would be playing five games each against the other conference and that screws up tiebreakers. Not to mention that arbitrarily cancelling one of the Giant's and Jet's regularlary scheduled games would inevitably leave at least one other team with a legitimate complaint of unfairness. And all just to appease one owner's narcissism? I can't imagine that the idea was tempting even for a moment. Woody Johson will get over himself--or not--and the sun will rise again on Week 2.

Lurker64
03-18-2010, 01:10 PM
The Jets and Giants do play in the preseason (where the NFL can just schedule whatever the hell they want), and that's reasonable. However, it's in the third game and both have a game in New York against somebody else beforehand.