PDA

View Full Version : Why not the top 3?

Tony Oday
03-17-2010, 10:41 PM
T.O. as a third or heck even 4th WR?! Think of Jennings, DD, Finley, JJ(or Jordy Nelson) and T.O....WTF HOW do you cover that?

Joey Porter...Everyone wants us to get some more pass rush...well he is it!

Westbrook...GREAT change of pace back that can run and catch...without carrying the load he would be great for 8 to 12 games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-Shutdown-Five-Players-for-whom-free-agency-?urn=nfl,228262

Yes TO and Porter can be cancers but do a one year deal for the top too and a 3 year for Westbrook and we get better across the board.

red
03-17-2010, 11:00 PM
we are a young team build with high character guys

no way would i ever want TO or porter to be brought in to screw that all up.both those guys are "me" players, not team players.

we don't need that shit.

westbrook is a completely different story. he's a high character guy, but IMO he's got nothing left in the tank

and these are not the top 3 guys, they may be the biggest names, but there is a reason why no team is trying to sign them. TO got a whif for a second but was passed up for antonio bryant

oh and aren't westbrooks injury problems related to the concussion bug? once that strikes its hard to shake. he might only have one or two hits left in him. one more hard blow to the head and he's done

channtheman
03-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Honestly, I don't even think TO is that good anymore. He drops way too many passes.

PlantPage55
03-18-2010, 01:54 AM
How do you cover that?

TRUST ME - you cover it. There's a reason why no other pass heavy team is thinking this way.

There's a thing called diminishing returns. The more high profile players you sign - the less opportunities they get - the worse other parts of your team get. How often are you going to go 4-5 wide in a game? A handful? Maybe more, since you have such weapons.

But you still have to protect the QB and give him time to go through the progressions.

It looks great in theory and it may work okay in Madden, but in real life football you not only need offensive balance and team chemistry, but you also need to realize when the upgrade from Jordy as a #4 and TO as a #4 is NOT really all that much when you look at the NFL playbook.

Fritz
03-18-2010, 06:32 AM
we are a young team build with high character guys

no way would i ever want TO or porter to be brought in to screw that all up.both those guys are "me" players, not team players.

we don't need that shit.

westbrook is a completely different story. he's a high character guy, but IMO he's got nothing left in the tank

and these are not the top 3 guys, they may be the biggest names, but there is a reason why no team is trying to sign them. TO got a whif for a second but was passed up for antonio bryant

oh and aren't westbrooks injury problems related to the concussion bug? once that strikes its hard to shake. he might only have one or two hits left in him. one more hard blow to the head and he's done

This is true for many guys.

red
03-18-2010, 09:00 AM
lol

Brandon494
03-18-2010, 11:06 AM
no thanks, would never work.

RashanGary
03-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Depending on how the draft goes, I think Porter could be a good fit.

If we get a high ranked pass rusher in the draft, maybe not, but if we want to stop top passing teams, Porter would be a nice piece in that direction.

Tony Oday
03-18-2010, 01:51 PM
I could see Porter being a BEAST this year because he feels he got snubbed...

Brandon494
03-18-2010, 09:15 PM
All those guys are past thier prime. You see their names and remember their play from a few years ago but they arent the same player.

packerbacker1234
03-19-2010, 03:17 AM
Porter is ok for a 1 year bandaid if they feel he can produce more then Brad Jones and we don't address it int he draft. I mean, he does have a chip on his shoulder, and he "can play" this game, he just isn't the big stud he thinks he is, but in this defense he would ahve to be with Woodson and Company around. He just has be slightly better then average.

As for T.O. - headcase aside (really, I am not worried about it. Not like our organization, one of the best in teh history of the game, is going to take his crap) is most likely looking to at least be a #2 somewhere, and at best he could elivate to a #3 here. As for the comments on 4 or 5 WR sets... the packers maybe more then any other team run those sets a lot, especially the 4 WR set. Sometimes, of course, we slap Finely in as #4, but I digress, it is something we do run a lot of. A lot of shotgun 3 wr or 4 WR sets. It's actually one of our best features on our team. Remember a couple years back the fab 5? How did that happen? because we ran A LOT of 5 WR sets.

So, thats fine, but I don't see T.O. accepting a 3/4 WR spot, though I think T.O. in the slot COULD be deadly for a year or two. Either case, I just don't think he offers us much more then Jones does, or even Nelson. I could be wrong - afterall he was in buffalo, didn't raise any red flags, and had a shitty QB throwing to him and he still was one of the few highlights of that offense (I have always felt bad for Lee Evans too, who if he had a real QB I think would have big numbers all the time).

Anyways, T.O isn't happening. WR is one area we are pretty deep at on offense. Ruevell Martin didn't make the cut last year and we all know he is a "ok" WR, definitely worthy of being a #4 on most teams. Just not us, because Nelson and Jones are decent, and there was a time that Jones looked like he would be the DD replacement if given the chance. Of course, DD wants to play till he is 40... we'll see.