PDA

View Full Version : Daryn Colledge is skipping the Packers' voluntary offseason

packers11
03-18-2010, 10:53 AM
www.rotoworld.com

Restricted free agent OG Daryn Colledge is skipping the Packers' voluntary offseason workout program.

Colledge, who is far from guaranteed a starting job this season, is upset that he's not getting a long-term deal. His absence will allow Jason Spitz to get the inside track on the left guard job.
Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette

hoosier
03-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Welcome, Mr. Colledge, to the Javon Walker School of Salary Negotiation. :lol:

On a more serious note, I seriously doubt that TT will be able to sucker someone out of a #2 for him.

RashanGary
03-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Overblown. He's not signing his tender because after the draft, they're hoping a team will need a guard bad enough to offer him a nice deal.

I don't think this has anything to do with threats or demands, he just can't show up to activities until he signs his tender and if he signs his tender, nobody can offer him a contract. He thinks he's a solid guard and will get a bite after the draft if a team doesn't fill a need and it's possible he's right, although I doubt it.

They always talk about business being a part of it, well this is strictly business. Has nothing to do with discontent, drama or otherwise. It's a part of the system that people don't understand.

red
03-18-2010, 12:05 PM
good bye

the weakest link of our offense thinks he deserves a long term deal, and is skipping the extra practice he needs more then anyone else

you're a restricted free agent, sign your tender and STFU. if not, i got a frozen piece of dog shit out in the yard that would do just as good blocking as he did last year

Freak Out
03-18-2010, 12:44 PM
good bye

the weakest link of our offense thinks he deserves a long term deal, and is skipping the extra practice he needs more then anyone else

you're a restricted free agent, sign your tender and STFU. if not, i got a frozen piece of dog shit out in the yard that would do just as good blocking as he did last year

At least the frozen shit might cause the opposing player to slip and fall before he gets to the QB. :)

hoosier
03-18-2010, 12:51 PM
The Packers are hoping a team will need a guard bad enough to offer him a nice deal.

Fixed. :lol:

Fritz
03-18-2010, 12:52 PM
I think JH is right - it's a business. What he's doing is within his rights in order to try to secure a contract.

At the same time, I wonder if Thompson ought to have made it a third round tag on the chance someone might offer Colledge a deal. Two third round picks in what is supposedly a deep draft might be nice.

red
03-18-2010, 01:00 PM
I think JH is right - it's a business. What he's doing is within his rights in order to try to secure a contract.

At the same time, I wonder if Thompson ought to have made it a third round tag on the chance someone might offer Colledge a deal. Two third round picks in what is supposedly a deep draft might be nice.

i would think that a 2nd round tender is a good way to tell everyone, "hey this guy's available, make me an offer".

they don't have to trade him for a second, its just a starting point

i would do backflips if we could get a 3rd for him

swede
03-18-2010, 01:12 PM

i would think that a 2nd round tender is a good way to tell everyone, "hey this guy's available, make me an offer".

they don't have to trade him for a second, its just a starting point

i would do backflips if we could get a 3rd for him

You think the frozen dog crap will last until the third round?

red
03-18-2010, 01:27 PM
might be thawed out by then

Fred's Slacks
03-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Overblown. He's not signing his tender because after the draft, they're hoping a team will need a guard bad enough to offer him a nice deal.

I don't think this has anything to do with threats or demands, he just can't show up to activities until he signs his tender and if he signs his tender, nobody can offer him a contract. He thinks he's a solid guard and will get a bite after the draft if a team doesn't fill a need and it's possible he's right, although I doubt it.

They always talk about business being a part of it, well this is strictly business. Has nothing to do with discontent, drama or otherwise. It's a part of the system that people don't understand.

That would be understandable but I thought they could also work out an agreement that would cover them incase they did sustain an injury during the voluntary stuff. I read somewhere that's how Kuhn is able to participate even though he hasn't signed his tender yet. If that's the case then I'd think College would want to get out there and show other teams he's committed and in shape.

rbaloha1
03-18-2010, 05:18 PM
Overblown opinion of self worth. Easily replaceable.

pbmax
03-18-2010, 07:14 PM

I am not sure those dates work Justin.

The last date to sign an offer sheet is April 15. The draft is the week after, April 22-24.

pbmax
03-18-2010, 07:46 PM
Colledge may need to be replaced, but he is not easily replaceable. if he was, then Barbre would have beaten him out. Barbre can drive block as well as anyone on the line, but he couldn't do it. Spitz is not talented enough to do it. Lang would be the only one and then the team would be without a young RT. And that position is even harder to fill.

McGinn had Colledge leading the line in bad runs, but ol' Bob left out a few things. One, Colledge spent time out of position at Left Tackle and his number of bad runs would have been lower had he not switched. Two, I believe only he and Sitton started all 17 games. So the number of snaps he took would be second only to Sitton (who did not get injured) and therefore his bad run RATE would look good compared to the rest of the line. And three, perhaps the most telling sign of all, when the Packers needed to run, they ran left. A lot of inside zone to the left and other assorted plays. This despite Cifton's shortcomings in run blocking and the fact that Tauscher has struggled cutting off backside pursuit since McCarthy came on board.

Colledge main problem is pass protection, especially against power and stunts. To be a truly effective line, he probably needs to go, but I don't think his replacement is on the roster. Finding better overall will take a very good draft pick or losing the RT of the future.

RashanGary
03-18-2010, 08:01 PM
I agree, pb. Colledge isn't a good starter, but he is probably one of the best 64 guards in the NFL so he isn't killing us. There are teams out there counting on rookies. Maybe Lang is better, but we need Lang at tackle. We might desperately need Lang at tackle if the draft doesn't fall our way.

I think Colledge is doing what he should do and the Packers are doing what they should do. The only reason you give Colledge a long term contract when his contract is up, and we have nothing behind him. We're buying as much time as possible, and as far as I'm concerned, that's the right thing to do.

packerbacker1234
03-19-2010, 03:22 AM
Eh, I think the reason most of us would be glad to see him go is it means the packers recognized that as a need position and will try to address it, verse sticking with college and making it look like they think he is, or can be, the answer. Say what you want about being in the top 64 guards out there... he may indeed me... at #'s 60 to 64. Thats not an answer, and there are better options to be had via draft or a trade, then him. May be better options within the team, as Lang may be a great LG if he works there but... again, that eliminates our only reliable backup linemen.

Gunakor
03-19-2010, 04:51 AM
2 years ago Colledge was very good as a guard. He was our most reliable and most consistent lineman in 2008, including both bookend tackles. Last year he had a bad year.

Which player is he? Which of those years is the anomaly? And how can we be sure? You can be sure of one thing, that is if we cut him loose he will catch on with another team and he will earn a starting spot. Whichever of those two players he is, he'll be that for somebody. He's not going to be elite, but he'll be serviceable at least. If he's better than merely serviceable, as he was in 2008, would I be out of my mind to hope he's better than merely serviceable for the Packers?

Fritz
03-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Colledge may need to be replaced, but he is not easily replaceable. if he was, then Barbre would have beaten him out. Barbre can drive block as well as anyone on the line, but he couldn't do it. Spitz is not talented enough to do it. Lang would be the only one and then the team would be without a young RT. And that position is even harder to fill.

McGinn had Colledge leading the line in bad runs, but ol' Bob left out a few things. One, Colledge spent time out of position at Left Tackle and his number of bad runs would have been lower had he not switched. Two, I believe only he and Sitton started all 17 games. So the number of snaps he took would be second only to Sitton (who did not get injured) and therefore his bad run RATE would look good compared to the rest of the line. And three, perhaps the most telling sign of all, when the Packers needed to run, they ran left. A lot of inside zone to the left and other assorted plays. This despite Cifton's shortcomings in run blocking and the fact that Tauscher has struggled cutting off backside pursuit since McCarthy came on board.

Colledge main problem is pass protection, especially against power and stunts. To be a truly effective line, he probably needs to go, but I don't think his replacement is on the roster. Finding better overall will take a very good draft pick or losing the RT of the future.

So you don't think Spitz has the talent to outperform Colledge at left guard?

Brandon494
03-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Spitz has the talent to beat Colledge without a question, he just needs to stay heathly.

retailguy
03-19-2010, 08:18 AM

Outperform? No. Equal. Yes. There is really little difference, except Colledge has been hurt less.

I really dislike Colledge and would be happy if he wasn't around. Spitz, is and always will be, a backup.

Neither are consistent, which is a curse for an OL. If they could play consistently for a full season, I'd probably stop bitching, but I still wouldn't like them very much.

Brandon494
03-19-2010, 08:44 AM

Outperform? No. Equal. Yes. There is really little difference, except Colledge has been hurt less.

I really dislike Colledge and would be happy if he wasn't around. Spitz, is and always will be, a backup.
Neither are consistent, which is a curse for an OL. If they could play consistently for a full season, I'd probably stop bitching, but I still wouldn't like them very much.

I dont really know what your talking about. Spitz has been a starter since his rookie season and is one of the most consistent and versatile performers on the offensive line. Only knock on him is his durablitiy which really wasn't that bad before missing the whole 2009 season. Only missed 4 games 2006 thru 2008. IMO Spitz is shit load better than Colledge and its really not even close.

RashanGary
03-19-2010, 08:48 AM
http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/sailorette857/sunshine.jpg

RashanGary
03-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Go for a jog, catch a fish, ride a bike, play with a child. . . . There are reasons in this crazy world for optimism, all you have to do is open your mind.

Life's to short to be miserable and the Packers OL isn't that bad ;)

pbmax
03-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Nope. I think he is a notch below. He also doesn't face the defenses best pass rusher when they stunt.

I think he should be the center. I am troubled that everyone has Wells/EDS as the center depth and Spitz at Left Guard. In fact, the only way that makes sense to me is if Lang is going to be the Right Tackle. Which may happen.

One thing I do think Bedard had right is that with as much veteran depth as they now have, two recognizable names could be gone this camp. Between Giacomini, Barbre, Colledge, I think they are hoping to replace two unless they turn around. And my money is on Colledge right now.

rbaloha1
03-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Lets hope the Raiders sign Colledge to a long term contract.