PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Mays a Packers?

Brandon494
03-19-2010, 09:00 AM
http://joeslockerroom.com/images/taylor_mays_packers_beanine.jpg

A picture of former USC safety Taylor Mays was posted on twitter wearing a Green Bay Packers beanie. Could there be a connection? Maybe, but if you look at the jersey in the background (in the mirror) you will see it is at his best friend's (and current Packers OLB) house, Clay Matthews III. But I wouldn't be surprised one bit if Mays is the Packers top choice in the 2010 draft. I have heard (for quite some time) that the Packers scouts and coaches really like Mays and think they can utilize his strengths in their defense. They see a hard working, football junkie that is very coachable that has the desire to be the best football player he can be. Mays also has commented that he would love to be a Packers because of the Packers tradition and outstanding Packers fans.

Still don't know if I want the Packers to draft him but I guess I wouldn't be that mad if they did. Recievers would sure think twice about running across the middle with this guy playing SS. Also love the fact that Clay has a pretty nice gym at his house, no offseason for this guy.

ND72
03-19-2010, 10:32 AM
I've said for a while I like Mays in our defense.

HarveyWallbangers
03-19-2010, 10:55 AM
I actually like Mays, but I'm disheartened by this news. This almost assures that he won't be a Packer.

Scott Campbell
03-19-2010, 11:03 AM
I actually like Mays, but I'm disheartened by this news. This almost assures that he won't be a Packer.

He's not a lost cause until Bretsky says he's ours.

Fritz
03-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Is he Aaron Rouse redux?

Joemailman
03-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Is he Aaron Rouse redux?

I don't think so. Size wise they are similar. However, Mays is not as stiff in the hips as Rouse was known to be coming out of Va. Tech. He's not as good in deep coverage as Collins is, but would be an upgrade over even a healthy Bigby,

sheepshead
03-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Taylor Mays a Packers? Fan?

That's a nice hat too.

Also unless he has an earring in the other ear, isn't he a 'mo?

HarveyWallbangers
03-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Is he Aaron Rouse redux?

I don't think so. I think Rouse was in the 4.6s in the 40--while Mays is 4.4s. Big difference there. I think he's more like Sean Taylor athletically, isn't he? People that have been studying would no better.

Brandon494
03-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Is he Aaron Rouse redux?

I don't think so. I think Rouse was in the 4.6s in the 40--while Mays is 4.4s. Big difference there. I think he's more like Sean Taylor athletically, isn't he? People that have been studying would no better.

He is athletically like Sean Taylor without the coverage skills and no wear near the ball hawk abilities. Its a shame what happened to Sean Taylor, I think he might have been the top defensive player in the game if not for his death.

rbaloha1
03-19-2010, 12:02 PM
TM was a projected top 10 last season. Injuries and many new defensive players caused TM to have a sub par year.

A Steve Atwater clone -- not Aaron Rouse. Check the 40 time. Outstanding talent that could start from day one.

Joemailman
03-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Is he Aaron Rouse redux?

Here's Rouse's Combine and Pro Day numbers. http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=11781&draftyear=2007&genpos=SS

By the way, Rouse was waived by the Giants after they signed Antrel Rolle.

TennesseePackerBacker
03-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Please lord, no Mays. He has Roy Williams Jr. wrote all over him. Do we really need another SS who can punish in the box but is a liability in coverage? People fall in love with combine numbers too much. Without the talent of the '08 USC defense what did he do last year except for disappoint time and time again?

I guess I've just never understood the love affair with this guy. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

DannoMac21
03-19-2010, 01:04 PM
Yes please to Taylor Mays. A 6'4" safety who ran a 4.24 at the combine?

Joemailman
03-19-2010, 01:21 PM

That alone is not enough to draft a guy in the 1st round unless you are Al Davis. That said, I think some people have gone overboard with their criticism of Mays this year. In my opinion he is neither Ed Reed nor Roy Williams. A talented guy who has some things he needs to work on.

swede
03-19-2010, 03:56 PM
As i prepped for the Packerrats mock I noticed that the Steelers will have a number of interesting players to choose from. According to the Packerrats mock as it stands now the OT from Rutgers, Bulaga, Iupati, and that Verhoosewhatsit guy may still be available. The Michigan DE, Mays, a talented 5'10" corner, and a couple of good LB's are left also. Somebody from that group is going to make it to the Packers a little bit later.

It wouldn't shock me if TT sees Mays as a good football player and picks him.

Edit: Man...it would tick me off if The Rutgers OT, Bulaga, Iupati, Brandon Graham, Taylor Mays, and that cornerback are all gone by the time we pick...in the mock and also in the real thing.

mission
03-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Please lord, no Mays. He has Roy Williams Jr. wrote all over him. Do we really need another SS who can punish in the box but is a liability in coverage? People fall in love with combine numbers too much. Without the talent of the '08 USC defense what did he do last year except for disappoint time and time again?

I guess I've just never understood the love affair with this guy. Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.

Where does this come from?

Roy Williams NEVER had any speed at Oklahoma. Is he even over 5'10"??? We're talking about polar opposite body types and measurables. You can make up for a lot with 4.2-4.3 speed. Williams was closer to 4.7-4.8 once he career wore on and his battled injuries.

His reputation was greatly increased because of that play he made flying over the line against Texas at the goal line.

No one ever said he was a blazer... I swear I see this on forums all over the place and it has no basis in fact.

The thing I like about Mays is he seems extremely coachable. They were asking about his lack of INTs and he was just saying that he plays the role his coaches ask of him and he will focus on whatever his future coaches say need to be the center of attention. Since Senior Bowl practices he seems intent on proving that he can get after some footballs. He's not defensive about these questions at all.

Something tells me he could adapt well to our defense and the upside is through the roof.

The Aaron Rouse stuff was started by me... I said "bigger, faster Aaron Rouse" last year around this time. They are no where near the same athletes or competitors.

Not saying the guy is a lock but the more Ive seen of him and heard his interviews, the more Ive warmed up to the idea.

Scott Campbell
03-19-2010, 08:50 PM

His official time was 4.43 - still pretty fast.

The Leaper
03-19-2010, 09:16 PM
As a safety, I'm not impressed. No playmaking ability. If you have all this ridiculous athletic ability, how the hell do you NEVER make a play on a ball as a DB? If you run a 4.3 40, you better be picking off 4-5 passes a year in college ball. If you aren't, you have ZERO instincts for playing the ball in the air...which is what ultimately defines an NFL DB.

What may intrigue me...making Mays a pass rushing OLB. The guy has the crazy kind of speed off the edge that could be a nightmare for OTs. He would need to add 15 pounds, but from all I've seen that could happen relatively easily. I mean...the kid's dad was an NFL DL. However, can you take a project OLB pass rusher in the first round???

I'm guessing he doesn't wind up in Green Bay.

The Leaper
03-19-2010, 09:18 PM
The thing I like about Mays is he seems extremely coachable. They were asking about his lack of INTs and he was just saying that he plays the role his coaches ask of him

So the USC coaches don't want their DBs picking off passes?

Are you nuts? He didn't pick off passes because he has no ball skills...not because he was coached not too.

Lurker64
03-19-2010, 09:24 PM
What may intrigue me...making Mays a pass rushing OLB. The guy has the crazy kind of speed off the edge that could be a nightmare for OTs. He would need to add 15 pounds, but from all I've seen that could happen relatively easily. I mean...the kid's dad was an NFL DL. However, can you take a project OLB pass rusher in the first round???

I don't want Mays as a linebacker. Have you seen the man tackle? Neither has anybody else.

Bretsky
03-19-2010, 09:30 PM
I'd be fine with Mays as a Packer; I think Dom could utilize him and his abilities often as a pass rusher as well. Plus, he could displace the video game dude.

packrulz
03-20-2010, 06:53 AM
I like Mays, great size/speed/attitude, Ron Wolf always said if a guy has speed he can recover and make the tackle even if he's out of position.

mission
03-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Are you nuts? He didn't pick off passes because he has no ball skills...not because he was coached not too.

Well he had 5 INTs in college... and the one game (Senior Bowl) he wasn't playing within the USC scheme, he had an interception at the goal line. I'm not saying they didn't want him to get INTs, Im saying the scheme didn't have him in matchups (or deep zone) or position for a lot of them. Let's face it, he is not an Ed Reed type player. If a team could get Bigby type INT production (3-4 a year) from him with the range he has and the intimidation factor, it'd be solid.

I don't want Mays as a linebacker. Have you seen the man tackle? Neither has anybody else.

Yeah he only had 268 tackles in college. 88 last year.

Mays playing LB and chasing down J.Best (4.35 40) with a perfect angle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26rLxHZpiKQ

Mays destroying about 580 different guys in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ze_jaJlXQ

Watch how many guys drop the ball after getting hit... is there a stat for that? There should be with this guy. That's gotta count for something.

Can't tackle, a giant pussy.

He definitely has holes in his game but come on... for what he is, for what he's advertised as (NOT ED REED), I'd say it's pretty intriguing. If you can't see that, you're just clinging on to preconceived notions (that I probably perpetuated in the first place).

packerbacker1234
03-20-2010, 09:45 AM
The thing I like about Mays is he seems extremely coachable. They were asking about his lack of INTs and he was just saying that he plays the role his coaches ask of him

So the USC coaches don't want their DBs picking off passes?

If you are coached to always play closer to the line to stop the run, instead of playing pass coverage... yeah you wont have a lot of picks. When is the last time, even in the NFL, you have heard of a big play making SS? Ed Reed? FS. Nick Collins? FS. Troy Polamalu? FS. I think Bob Sanders is a SS, so he may be teh exception.

I am not saying that he has any real excuse, but if your coached to play closer to the line and not do a lot of pass coverage, then... you wont have picks. Also, picks are not the only thing that tells you if he is a good player. If that was the case, Al Harris is a HORRIBLE DB, despite the fact he has broken up a lot of passes in his career.

I know Mays played FS, but if you watched USC you would notice that there safties do, in fact, play a lot of run defense verse passing zone converage. Maybe I am the only one that sees that?

Brandon494
03-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Troy Polamalu is a SS, Ryan Clark plays FS.

The Leaper
03-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Well he had 5 INTs in college...

In 4 years on a highly talented team that often played inferior teams...and 3 of those came as a freshman. He's had only TWO in the last 3 years. I don't care where the hell he plays on the field. If he has such ridiculous athletic ability as a DB on the college level, he should be making way more plays on the ball, even if he does play closer to the line of scrimmage. A lot of INTs happen within 15 yards of the LOS...when QBs are pressured and don't account for a defender, or passes are tipped, or throws are just forced into tight areas.

Face it...in coverage, the guy does not make big plays. He might make big hits, but he doesn't cause turnovers. I want DBs who cause turnovers. Guys like Charles Woodson make you a contender.

The Leaper
03-20-2010, 01:32 PM
If you are coached to always play closer to the line to stop the run, instead of playing pass coverage... yeah you wont have a lot of picks. When is the last time, even in the NFL, you have heard of a big play making SS?

Carnell Lake? 16 career INTs/15 Forced Fumbles
Darrin Woodson? 23/12
Lawyer Milloy? 25/10
Rodney Harrison? 34/15
John Lynch? 26/16
Troy Polamalu? 20/7
Ed Reed started out as a SS and was getting 6-8 picks a year.

Should I keep going? These are just more recent guys...we can go back 20+ years as well and find plenty more.

In the NFL, you don't have the luxury to play your SS exclusively as a LB. He better be able to cover someone at the very least...and I'd prefer if he can make big plays, ESPECIALLY if you are taking him in the 1st round. If you can't make plays on the ball in college against inferior talent, then I'm not going to be certain that is suddenly going to happen in the NFL against superior talent.

TennesseePackerBacker
03-20-2010, 06:10 PM
As a safety, I'm not impressed. No playmaking ability. If you have all this ridiculous athletic ability, how the hell do you NEVER make a play on a ball as a DB? If you run a 4.3 40, you better be picking off 4-5 passes a year in college ball. If you aren't, you have ZERO instincts for playing the ball in the air...which is what ultimately defines an NFL DB.

Leaper answered for me mission. This is my reason for not wanting Mays as a Packer. A kid with his natural abilities should have the kind of ball-hawking ability he sorely lacks. Any problem at the collegiate level is that much more amplified in the pro game.

mission
03-20-2010, 09:02 PM

Leaper answered for me mission. This is my reason for not wanting Mays as a Packer. A kid with his natural abilities should have the kind of ball-hawking ability he sorely lacks. Any problem at the collegiate level is that much more amplified in the pro game.

Again, Al Harris...

I'm not saying to excuse his lack of production in the area, I'm more taking a shot that you'll see that area of his game improve. In his interviews, he directly talks about "not trying to take a guy's head off" and instead going after the ball... something he's training for and aware of. Can't fix something you don't know exists. Seems eager about it.

Who knows, he seems like a student of the game who can pick up a lot from coaches at the next level. Maybe not. In two or three years one of us will be saying 'you were right' (and I'm not below that)... it'd just be a first for me :wink: :lol:

DannoMac21
03-21-2010, 03:25 AM

Right, but he ran an unofficial 4.24 before the official timing at the combine.

rbaloha1
03-21-2010, 12:47 PM

Right, but he ran an unofficial 4.24 before the official timing at the combine.

Whatever the 40 time Mays is fast and a big time hitter. AB can focus on special teams and a blitzer in certain packages.

bigcoz75
03-21-2010, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't be mad at all and would love to see what a coach like Perry could do with him.

pbmax
03-21-2010, 01:09 PM
Have any of Capers former safeties had abilities that align with Mays? I am not saying same size and speed, but big hitter who may be less effective in coverage?

And I have seen Mays numbers for INTs. Does anyone have his numbers for forced fumbles and passes defended?

Bretsky
03-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Have any of Capers former safeties had abilities that align with Mays? I am not saying same size and speed, but big hitter who may be less effective in coverage?

And I have seen Mays numbers for INTs. Does anyone have his numbers for forced fumbles and passes defended?

Mel Kiper just called Mays, in terms of measurables, the most talented safety ever to enter the draft. That surprised me a bit. I do think we have solid coaches on defense and in the secondary who would have the ability to bring out the best in Mays. I might not feel as confident in other areas.
I think Capers would find ways to utilize him in ways he could develop as a shining star. The Roy Williams comparisons are ESPN babble; Mays at this point is far more talented and faster than Williams was as a senior and his upside is much greater. He seems to possess a great attitude and be a Packer person.

For the record, I"m not endorsing Mays as our pick. But I would not be disapppointed either.

rbaloha1
03-21-2010, 01:38 PM
RW was stiff -- TM is not. If TM has coverage issues DC can tweak the scheme to mask the weakness.

It would not surprise TT moves-up to take TM since it appears he is moving-up on draft boards.

pbmax
03-21-2010, 01:48 PM

Mel Kiper just called Mays, in terms of measurables, the most talented safety ever to enter the draft. That surprised me a bit. I do think we have solid coaches on defense and in the secondary who would have the ability to bring out the best in Mays. I might not feel as confident in other areas.
I think Capers would find ways to utilize him in ways he could develop as a shining star. The Roy Williams comparisons are ESPN babble; Mays at this point is far more talented and faster than Williams was as a senior and his upside is much greater. He seems to possess a great attitude and be a Packer person.

For the record, I"m not endorsing Mays as our pick. But I would not be disapppointed either.
Not only ESPN babble. Roy Williams was drafted higher than Mays projects to be. So a number of teams believe that as far as prospects go, the levels were similar, with RW possibly better.

Now, I agree, Mays may not suffer the same fate as Roy Williams in the pros, but we all know measurables can make for some bad NFL players. Gholston, Allen Barbre, etc.

Bretsky
03-21-2010, 01:56 PM
[quote=pbmax]Have any of Capers former safeties had abilities that align with Mays? I am not saying same size and speed, but big hitter who may be less effective in coverage?

Not only ESPN babble. Roy Williams was drafted higher than Mays projects to be. So a number of teams believe that as far as prospects go, the levels were similar, with RW possibly better.

Now, I agree, Mays may not suffer the same fate as Roy Williams in the pros, but we all know measurables can make for some bad NFL players. Gholston, Allen Barbre, etc.[/quote

RW might have come out with a weak draft class as well :lol:

Lurker64
03-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Now, I agree, Mays may not suffer the same fate as Roy Williams in the pros, but we all know measurables can make for some bad NFL players. Gholston, Allen Barbre, etc.

Well, strictly speaking Barbre's problem did show up in his measurables. He's a heck of an athlete and nobody will doubt it, but he's very much not smart. His wonderlic was an 11, while the average for guards, centers, and tackles are 23, 25, and 26 (for the record, 10 is the generally accepted cutoff for "literate".)

Watching Barbre through his career, it's pretty clear that his problems are almost all in his head. Whether those are correctable? No idea.

Patler
03-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Followed links to watch highlights, and proceeded to spend about 45 minutes watching a whole string of his highlights on Youtube. I will admit to knowing little about him, because I have seen 1 or 2 games each year that he was in, that's all.

The highlights are not likely very representative, but from the highlights I noticed:

1. He rarely made a play on the ball, even when in good position to do so. He didn't even look for the ball. How many current and former Packers have driven us crazy with that?

2. #1 was so bad in some of his "highlights" that he conceded the reception to go for a big hit.

3. Unfortunately, too many times the hit from #2 above failed to dislodge the ball. Golden Tate and others simply held on when they got blasted.

4. His tackling technique as exhibited in his highlights consisted of hitting as hard as he could with the point of his shoulder. His arms never entered into it, whether hitting receivers or runningbacks, whether in traffic or the open field.

5. From #4 many running backs he hit stayed on their feet, but went down tripping over bodies they were knocked into.

6. He often put his head down and looked away in #5. I'm waiting for NFL RBs to sidestep his big hit when he does that.

7. #6 was so pronounced in several instances that a team mate took the brunt of his hit, not the opponent who tried to avoid him.

I have no idea if these were representative of the way he played most often or not. I have no idea if he can be coached to improve on all of those things. Just observations from what some fans thought were his "highlights". I was surprised at how many of his supposed "highlights" were actually completed passes, albeit with a hard hit at the end.

pbmax
03-21-2010, 02:57 PM

Well, strictly speaking Barbre's problem did show up in his measurables. He's a heck of an athlete and nobody will doubt it, but he's very much not smart. His wonderlic was an 11, while the average for guards, centers, and tackles are 23, 25, and 26 (for the record, 10 is the generally accepted cutoff for "literate".)

Watching Barbre through his career, it's pretty clear that his problems are almost all in his head. Whether those are correctable? No idea.
Do we know Mays Wonderlic score?

And if Marino can play QB the way he did with a 13, then the Wonderlic probably doesn't cover enough ground on their mental abilities.

Patler
03-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Do we know Mays Wonderlic score?

22, according to Wes Bunting on the National Football Post.

Brandon494
03-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Wonderlic means nothing, you don't have to be smart to be a good football player. example: Emmitt Smith :lol:

Mazzin
03-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Wonderlic means nothing, you don't have to be smart to be a good football player. example: Emmitt Smith :lol:

Or Jerry Rice....who may be smart as hell, but if you've ever heard his sports commentary it's PAINFUL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CAsGNlQEnI

He can't even READ good without showing it, if anyones heard this man on Sirus satillite radio its painful thing....stutters like Adrian Peterson formerly of the Bears.....( GO GEORGIA SOUTHERN!)

Bretsky
03-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Very few QB's with poor Wonderlific scores make it.......Vince Young might be the exception

pbmax
03-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Running back is much different than QB or an Offensive Guard. You may not need to be smart to play football, but it may limit your options. The problem is that Wonderlic is just a single, limited measurement.

pbmax
03-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Very few QB's with poor Wonderlific scores make it.......Vince Young might be the exception
What's the limit of poor? Marino was 13. Favre was under 20.

Bretsky
03-21-2010, 04:10 PM
What's the limit of poor? Marino was 13. Favre was under 20.

did not know about Marino

I'd call fifteen and under poor but honestly I don't know what average is

Patler
03-21-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Wonderlic test for anything, but an interesting comment I read a few years ago was that of successful NFLers (it might have been starters) as a group O-linemen are among the highest scorers on the test. I think by average they might have been second to QBs. Don't know if it is accurate or not.

ThunderDan
03-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Terry Bradshaw scored something like a 12. He's got a few rings.

ThunderDan
03-21-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Wonderlic test for anything, but an interesting comment I read a few years ago was that of successful NFLers (it might have been starters) as a group O-linemen are among the highest scorers on the test. I think by average they might have been second to QBs. Don't know if it is accurate or not.

I think it was that they had the highest group scores.

pbmax
03-23-2010, 12:33 PM
Reasonably good article about Taylor Mays. (http://www.49ers.com/news-and-events/article-1/On-the-Clock-S-Taylor-Mays/8338b243-09fb-4d23-a88c-223eb8122d5e) Not too much on X and Os, but some new stuff (new to me anyway):

--4 year starter had 276 tackles, 21 pass breakups and five interceptions. I had not seen any numbers on pass defensed before. That number is nothing exciting.

--Spent 2009 more in the box.

--Claims he was following coach's instructions by going for jarring hits in the secondary.

Any chance the Packers could be interested in moving Collins deep? He has skills back there, though he plays well in the box, it would seem he is more of a playmaker deep. Mays would seem to be ready to play close to the LOS but be more of a projection deep.

get louder at lambeau
03-23-2010, 12:43 PM
\Any chance the Packers could be interested in moving Collins deep? He has skills back there, though he plays well in the box, it would seem he is more of a playmaker deep. Mays would seem to be ready to play close to the LOS but be more of a projection deep.

How much different would that be than having Collins deep and Bigby close to the LOS? Doesn't seem like it would be a big improvement.

I think teams are all going to try to spread the Packers out this year, personally. Lots of nickel work to go around.

mission
03-23-2010, 01:24 PM
\Any chance the Packers could be interested in moving Collins deep? He has skills back there, though he plays well in the box, it would seem he is more of a playmaker deep. Mays would seem to be ready to play close to the LOS but be more of a projection deep.

How much different would that be than having Collins deep and Bigby close to the LOS? Doesn't seem like it would be a big improvement.

I think teams are all going to try to spread the Packers out this year, personally. Lots of nickel work to go around.

Bigby vs Mays? What would be the difference?

About .4 in speed. :D

Lurker64
03-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Mays' poor ball skills, inability to tackle, and general lack of production in college despite his out of this world athleticism scare me.

On the other hand, given that our defensive coordinator is one of the best defensive schematic minds in the modern era, and our safeties coach (Darren Perry) is a by all accounts one of the better position coaches in the league and a rising star.

So I think we'd be in position to get everything out of him that could be got. How much that is? I have no idea.

mission
03-23-2010, 01:43 PM
Mays' poor ball skills, inability to tackle, and general lack of production in college despite his out of this world athleticism scare me.

On the other hand, given that our defensive coordinator is one of the best defensive schematic minds in the modern era, and our safeties coach (Darren Perry) is a by all accounts one of the better position coaches in the league and a rising star.

So I think we'd be in position to get everything out of him that could be got. How much that is? I have no idea.

I think "inability to tackle" should be reworded as "his poor tacking habits/form" ...

Pretty damn sure a 6'4" dude who's 235 and runs a 4.4 forty has the ability to tackle. He's just gotten lazy / used to getting a rise out of the crowd with his "big hits". It's not like he's scared, he just tries to destroy guys with his shoulder because it's probably worked for most of his career.

You put Mays in camp with Perry / Greene / ETc around and he'll be tackling in no time. Not to nitpick, just saying: he has the ability. Hard to look at him and question that. It's not hard to get a guy to start wrapping up imo. At least I think that'd be a lot easier than teaching a guy how to catch better.

Dexter McCluster ... now that's a guy who I assume has an "inability to tackle".

:)

TennesseePackerBacker
03-23-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm about to the point where I wouldn't be pissed off if TT drafted Mays, but I wouldn't be terribly excited either. Maybe he just hasn't been coached up?(really? Pete Carroll?). I dunno, one way or another we'll know in a couple of years. I just hope were are on the right side of that choice; if it is even our choice to be had.

Fritz
03-23-2010, 04:31 PM
I just don't know enough - is he Aaron Rouse part II?

pbmax
03-23-2010, 06:22 PM
As Patler pointed out, he does tend to go for the big hit rather than tackle in coverage. But you don't collect 96 tackles at safety by accident, even playing up near the LOS. So there should be enough film for the Packers to determine whether his poor form in some cases was a poor choice or an inability to adjust his skills.

Mazzin
03-23-2010, 06:41 PM
I was looking at mock drafts, and I've seen on two of them having us take an O-lineman, and then the same cornerback in both.....Chris Cook C.B. Virgina....anyone know anything else about him? I've googled him...he is 6'2/ 212 lbs/ and ran a 4.43....i like his size and speed....the knock on him is that he was a one year wonder....I personally love his Size Speed combo...and he DOES have dreads...

Roto reported that he showed up to his pro day out of shape and uninspired, but that he did impress at the senior bowl