PDA

View Full Version : Is AROD the next STEVE YOUNG ??? TIME will TELL

Bretsky
03-21-2010, 12:12 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/366378-aaron-rodgers-the-next-steve-young-well-lets-just-wait-and-find-out

Lurker64
03-21-2010, 12:19 PM
If Rodgers wants to become Steve Young, he's going to need to work on throwing left-handed.

Brandon494
03-21-2010, 12:37 PM
I was about to read that article then I saw it was written by Ryan Cook, that kid has NO IDEA what he is talking about.

If you want a laugh look at these two articles he wrote last week... :lol:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/365285-possible-packers-the-top-5-free-agents-ted-thompson-should-consider

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/365906-2010-nfl-draft-green-bay-packers-analysis-and-predictions

Lurker64
03-21-2010, 12:43 PM
I was about to read that article then I saw it was written by Ryan Cook, that kid has NO IDEA what he is talking about.

If you want a laugh look at these two articles he wrote last week... :lol:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/365285-possible-packers-the-top-5-free-agents-ted-thompson-should-consider

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/365906-2010-nfl-draft-green-bay-packers-analysis-and-predictions

Okay, so this guy's idea of a FA to sign is "some player who just got cut that I've heard of before"... and the draft analysis? Wow... just wow.

Iupati and Derrick Morgan in the THIRD ROUND? Those guys are first round picks, or at least high seconds.

RashanGary
03-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Young is a good comparison, just the way they play and the cerebral type.

Odds are slim to none that Rodgers will EVER be as good as Joe Montana, but I honestly think he's a bit of a poor mans Montana. Same size. Montana rushed for about 150-300 yards in his better rushing seasons. Rodgers runs that same amount. Both really good athletes. Montanta threw very few INT's Rodgers throws very few INT's. Neither are gun slingers, both more cerebral.

Young ran a lot. I don't know if I picture Rodgers running that much. I hope he keeps getting better and if we're really lucky we'll win a championship or two with him, but I think his style is sort of modeled after Montana. He plays that kind of game.

RashanGary
03-21-2010, 03:08 PM
The urinal sentinal has been tossing around the baseless, "Rodgers cares too much about stats" line and they were using the "oh, but he didn't have a winning season in his first year so he's not a winner" thing. . . .

But, there is a certain steadiness about Rodgers that I like. I kind of envision him being a cold blooded winner.

pbmax
03-21-2010, 04:17 PM
The urinal sentinal has been tossing around the baseless, "Rodgers cares too much about stats" line and they were using the "oh, but he didn't have a winning season in his first year so he's not a winner" thing. . . .

But, there is a certain steadiness about Rodgers that I like. I kind of envision him being a cold blooded winner.
That is the rumor folks (even outside of JSO) have been mongering for explaining the low number of INTs. I think the only fact in support of it is Rodgers saying he is not going to try to force a throw that isn't open and take the INT chance. Its an interesting argument, where to draw the line and a lot depends on field position and game situation. But it probably doesn't revolve around "caring too much about stats".

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Weren't people criticizing Rodgers for not taking dumpoffs early in the year when he was taking sacks? He was waiting to try to make a big play down the field. Hardly risk averse. With some people, Rodgers will never win. Then again, most of Packers nation (and much of the national media) is now firmly on his side.

packerbacker1234
03-22-2010, 04:54 AM
you mean where he has a shortened career but is really good for 5 years?

I'll pass. AR is going to be good for a decade or more, and hopefully get us to multiple SB's.

sheepshead
03-22-2010, 07:58 AM
This cat has never seen Montana or Young play....He's writing columns after little league practice? WTF?

RashanGary
03-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Weren't people criticizing Rodgers for not taking dumpoffs early in the year when he was taking sacks? He was waiting to try to make a big play down the field. Hardly risk averse. With some people, Rodgers will never win. Then again, most of Packers nation (and much of the national media) is now firmly on his side.

I've criticized Rodgers, but I don't jump around from criticism to criticism as my last criticism becomes null and void. JS makes sure that every Rodgers piece comes with an underlying sentiment that he's not good enough. Each time, the reasons are different, based on what they can possibly complain about at the momen. it's gotten to the point, the only "he's not good enough" sentiment left is that he cares to much about his stats.

Come on, guys. Drop it. His goal this year was to be more consistent. He used the stats to show he got close to his goal. Sheesh. . . The guy is getting criticised for having and setting goals. The things they write are just bizarre sometimes. Maybe they're just lazy and never actually listened to the interview, so had no clue of the context. That's possible. Either way, they're junk.

retailguy
03-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Come on, guys. Drop it. His goal this year was to be more consistent. He used the stats to show he got close to his goal. Sheesh. . . The guy is getting criticised for having and setting goals. The things they write are just bizarre sometimes. Maybe they're just lazy and never actually listened to the interview, so had no clue of the context. That's possible. Either way, they're junk.

Not sure what you're saying here. Harv's point was and is valid. Ppl, including you, spent a lot of time and energy bashing Rodgers early in the season, instead of looking at the real problem, which was the OL.

Now you want them to just "drop it"? Why should they?

Rodgers took a lot of unfair criticism. He wasn't the problem this year, notiwithstanding the public comments. Pointing that out ought to be fair game. Those opinions were woefully inaccurate.

pbmax
03-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I think the underlying sentiment is that he hasn't WON anything yet. And conveniently, that standard can change. Last year it was 4th quarter games in which he was down. This year its playoff games.

They are pretty standard arguments. It may not be the best measure of quarterback's play, but its standard stuff for team coverage.

LP
03-22-2010, 01:05 PM
owner Ted Thompson

Wow. This guy really knows his Packer stuff! Even I didn't know Ted actually owned the team! Guess I'm way behind the times.

BF4MVP
03-22-2010, 07:29 PM
owner Ted Thompson

Wow. This guy really knows his Packer stuff! Even I didn't know Ted actually owned the team! Guess I'm way behind the times.
Was thinking the same thing haha

Tony Oday
03-22-2010, 07:33 PM
This must have been his 5th grade research paper...

CaliforniaCheez
03-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Rodgers career will be better than Steve Young's.