PDA

View Full Version : Holmgren intends to draft Clausen

Patler
03-22-2010, 09:20 AM
Isn't that what this article really means? :lol:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Browns-not-planning-to-draft-a-quarterback-in-first-few-rounds.html

red
03-22-2010, 09:21 AM
ultimate deception

Scott Campbell
03-22-2010, 09:30 AM
ultimate deception

Wouldn't that include him being somewhat believable?

pbmax
03-22-2010, 10:16 AM
If he doesn't draft him, is it the greatest double-fake of all time OR should I fire up the Official Mike Holmgren Shouldn't Be A GM thread?

Because after I read it, those were my first two thoughts.

rbaloha1
03-22-2010, 10:47 AM
IMO Clausen will have Matt Ryan impact. Tough, accurate and well coached. Dude is NFL ready.

swede
03-22-2010, 12:02 PM
IMO Clausen will have Matt Ryan impact. Tough, accurate and well coached. Dude is NFL ready.

he got his last boss fired.

retailguy
03-22-2010, 12:11 PM
ultimate deception

Wouldn't that include him being somewhat believable?

This is what I'm thinking. I think Holmgren might have actually told the truth. We'll see, if they draft him, but his comments struck me as genuine.

Maybe I'm gullible? :shock:

Lurker64
03-22-2010, 12:16 PM
This might be a double-fake... Holmgren doesn't like Clausen. So he says that he doesn't like him so people will believe that he is lying, and assume that he likes him.

RashanGary
03-22-2010, 12:25 PM
This is what I'm thinking. I think Holmgren might have actually told the truth. We'll see, if they draft him, but his comments struck me as genuine.

Maybe I'm gullible? :shock:

No, that's not it :)

Hard for me to tell. I don't have a lot of history with Holmgren. Time will tell if he's a liar.

rbaloha1
03-22-2010, 12:45 PM

defense got weiss fired not the offense. golden tate is also a high draft pick as well.

did you watch nd's OFFENSE last season?

Lurker64
03-22-2010, 12:46 PM
I think "ridiculous expectations for Notre Dame" got Weiss fired. Also, Weiss.

sharpe1027
03-22-2010, 01:23 PM
I think "ridiculous expectations for Notre Dame" got Weiss fired. Also, Weiss.

Haha, mostly just Weiss. His results on the field would have got him fired from a lot schools not named Notre Dame.

Patler
03-22-2010, 02:38 PM
This might be a double-fake... Holmgren doesn't like Clausen. So he says that he doesn't like him so people will believe that he is lying, and assume that he likes him.

Maybe its a TRIPLE fake!

KYPack
03-22-2010, 03:53 PM
I think the Walrus is mis-playing his hand here.

He got named team President.

He's tried to play coach and GM in Cleve.

The smart president let's the GM make stupid draft statements, let's the coach coach and second guesses the piss out of 'em when they screw up. You don't see any other team Presidents making any statements about who they are gonna draft or what D they are gonna run, etc.

Holmy was a lousy GM when he had that job. I think he will be a even poorer President of a team.

Joemailman
03-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Charlie's defense got him fired. That's why he is now an OC.

Fritz
03-23-2010, 06:42 AM
If I read that correctly, Holmgren said first that he was getting old and yes, he needs to draft a quarterback, like, now.

Then he said he didn't like Jimmy Clausen. Nor did he like Tim Tebow. Then he said the team has too many needs in other areas to spend a high pick necessarily on a QB.

I'm going to draft a quarterback. I don't like those two quarterbacks. I can't afford to draft a quarterback.

Is this the kind of smoke-blowing crap that some of Thompson's critics would like to see him give to reporters? I wonder if Holmgren's nonsense is making Cleveland fans feel good.

And I think Holmgren is a lousy GM and will be a lousy president. He's got his fingers in everything - very publicly.

swede
03-23-2010, 07:41 AM
(Holmgren says...) "I'm going to draft a quarterback. I don't like those two quarterbacks. I can't afford to draft a quarterback."

Is this the kind of smoke-blowing crap that some of Thompson's critics would like to see him give to reporters?

And I think Holmgren is a lousy GM and will be a lousy president. He's got his fingers in everything - very publicly.

+1

Now that I see him in action I'm really glad he's not in the Packer front office.

On the Jimmy Claussen issue, I defer to those who actually watch Notre Dame football. I probably should have said he wasn't good enough to keep his coach from getting fired.

pbmax
03-23-2010, 12:26 PM
If I read that correctly, Holmgren said first that he was getting old and yes, he needs to draft a quarterback, like, now.

Then he said he didn't like Jimmy Clausen. Nor did he like Tim Tebow. Then he said the team has too many needs in other areas to spend a high pick necessarily on a QB.

I'm going to draft a quarterback. I don't like those two quarterbacks. I can't afford to draft a quarterback.

Is this the kind of smoke-blowing crap that some of Thompson's critics would like to see him give to reporters? I wonder if Holmgren's nonsense is making Cleveland fans feel good.

I remember Paul Zimmerman saying after talking to Holmgren, he would get down to writing, thinking he had something special and insightful on his hands with Holmgren's thoughts. But when he set to parsing it in the article, he found he had nothing but double-speak or fluff. Said it drove him crazy. M1 was a master of speaking a lot and saying little, which may be where his former QB perfected that skill. :lol:

Fritz
03-23-2010, 04:33 PM
I think the key may be to speak in either a snarl or in a confidential way, so it all sounds important and off the cuff.

RashanGary
04-16-2010, 09:31 PM
And now Holmgren is sending out open signals that he wants to trade up to #1, saying, "anyone who get's Bradford is getting the real deal". And this is a two QB draft, hyping up Bradford indirectly knocks Clausen.

Like usual, I'm behind Patler on this, but I agree that Holmgren is interested in Clausen, really wants him to fall.

Patler
04-17-2010, 05:53 AM
I have no idea what Holmgren's motives were for saying this. Just posted it to have something to talk about,

Joemailman
04-17-2010, 06:15 AM
Browns have 5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds, so they have the ammunition to trade up. http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-04-15/browns-talked-rams-about-no-1-pick

However, according to most draft value charts, it would take a lot to move up that far. http://www.gbnreport.com/tradevaluetable.html

Fritz
04-17-2010, 08:06 AM
I don't know how any GM can believe much of anything any other GM says, unless the two are on the phone trading proposals directly. But any public comments must be immediately discounted, I would think.

RashanGary
04-17-2010, 09:14 AM
I don't know how any GM can believe much of anything any other GM says, unless the two are on the phone trading proposals directly. But any public comments must be immediately discounted, I would think.

Public comments like these, I would sooner take as opposite as I would disregard them.

There is no good reason for a GM to give out good information and plenty of good reason to give out misinformation.

Fritz
04-17-2010, 10:15 AM
But then if you can automatically believe the opposite of the public comments, then the GM is giving himself away anyway...so there's probably a liberal mix of various levels of BS mixed in with little turds of truth occasionally.

Patler
04-18-2010, 06:17 AM
But then if you can automatically believe the opposite of the public comments, then the GM is giving himself away anyway...so there's probably a liberal mix of various levels of BS mixed in with little turds of truth occasionally.

Is it true? A fake? A double fake? A triple fake?
We could go on forever! :lol:

Fritz
04-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Exactly. Which is why I imagine that GM's ignore the pablum put out there for the public by fellow GM's.