PDA

View Full Version : Packerats 2010 Mock Draft runoff vote:

packrulz
03-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Vote for which player we should draft for the Packers.

pbmax
03-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Anthony Davis. Defensive backs are third in my version of the Packers' needs. Since I don't know enough about their physical gifts to call one a clear BPA, I am going need. He may not start, he may not even play RT initially, but the Pack need another tackle, especially a Left Tackle candidate.

Second on the list is a pass rusher. Third is DB.

RashanGary
03-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Davis is a habitual underachiever and overweight player. Wilson.

packrulz
03-22-2010, 05:37 PM
I like both really, I don't think you could go wrong with either one, but I think protecting ARod's blindside is paramount, and Davis is a bulldozer in the running game too, so I went with Davis in this situation, to be the future left tackle.

RashanGary
03-22-2010, 05:45 PM
, to be the future left tackle.

Except that he won't be anything because he doesn't even care enough to be in shape.

Joemailman
03-22-2010, 05:47 PM
I would rather have Kyle Wilson and Roger Saffold than Anthony Davis and maybe Kareem Jackson.

Brandon494
03-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Davis is a habitual underachiever and overweight player. Wilson.

+1

This guy hasn't even been paid yet, you think he will change his ways after he gets money? NO way. I want a football player, not a fat SOB who can't even who up to his pro day. Thats why I picked Wilson. Woodson is 34 and Harris is 35 coming off a ACL injury and won't be ready by the start of the season. The only CB that is proven outside of those two is Tramon Williams. Not only will he add talent that we need at the CB position but he will also greatly help on special teams in the return game. Really want to waste our 1st rounder on a guy who will sit on the bench his first year when we have a chance to go deep in the playoffs? No thanks, we can find a tackle prospect later in the draft.

RashanGary
03-22-2010, 05:59 PM
I'll overlook a lot of things if a guy can play football. . .

An extremely slow receiver (boldin) yep, I'll take him
A tiny safety (Sanders) yep, I'll take him
A small, not too fast, small school reciever (Driver) yep. . .

If they can play football, I'll overlook just about anything

A guy who doesn't care enough about football to stay in shape? I wouldn't do it, not in a loaded draft with several other great players who are committed to being a pro. Let the Raiders take him. He'll fit right in with Jamarcus Russell, the uber talented, can't miss QB who wasn't in good shape, but was physically gifted at the all important position. You can't teach physical talent. You can get a guy in shape, right?

I disagree. You can't teach work ethic and attitude. Either you have it or you don't. A guy can get bigger, faster, stronger. If he's a slug, there is nothing you can do, no amount of money. Nothing. He's a slug. Maybe he'll turn it around, but I'm not going to bet a 23rd pick on a guy whos been nothing but a slug to this point.

Bretsky
03-22-2010, 06:06 PM
There would be others I'd probably take over Davis as well so this is a fairly easy call

RashanGary
03-22-2010, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't touch Davis with the Vikings' pick. . . Oh wait, yeah I would.

Joemailman
03-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Is he as built as Andre Smith?

http://blogs.cantonrep.com/wp-content/uploads/smith-running.jpg

Tony Oday
03-22-2010, 07:34 PM
neither

red
03-22-2010, 08:01 PM
other

Brandon494
03-22-2010, 08:02 PM
pretty sure you voted for Davis.

Tony Oday
03-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Can we draft an O line Coach?

Joemailman
03-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Packers only scored 461 points last year. Let's fire the whole staff.

pbmax
03-22-2010, 08:35 PM
I am going to need some more clarification from Justin, how do you feel about Davis?

:wink:

Tony Oday
03-22-2010, 08:42 PM

and allowed 51 sacks that almost killed our QB...

Fred's Slacks
03-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Based on talent and dificulty in filling the position, I'm going with Davis. I'll let TT decide if he's too big a risk.

Joemailman
03-22-2010, 09:12 PM

and allowed 51 sacks that almost killed our QB...

Most people know the problem was more than just the Offensive Line.

Bretsky
03-22-2010, 09:13 PM
If the Iowa OT was there I'd vote for him; I have too many questions on Davis. We can get a good OL in round two.

BPA

pbmax
03-22-2010, 09:32 PM
other
Is that a way of protesting not getting Oher last year?

Bretsky
03-22-2010, 09:53 PM
other
Is that a way of protesting not getting Oher last year?

Kudos to BOBBLEHEAD for calling Oher's success last year be4 the draft

jmbarnes101
03-22-2010, 10:00 PM
Sorry but I had to break the tie. I'd rather have a potential LT than a short CB. I'm siding with Ron Wolf on this one especially since I don't see him or Tramon doing a good job trying to cover Megatron.

TennesseePackerBacker
03-22-2010, 10:58 PM
And I just tied it back up. Kyle Wilson has been one of the most productive and consistent corners the last couple of years in CFB.

get louder at lambeau
03-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Tough one. I'm no draft nerd, so my opinion isn't worth much, but I'll go with Wilson. He should see action at CB and special teams, and Davis sounds like he has some major red flags. Take a couple OL in the next few rounds, and I'm happy.

packrulz
03-23-2010, 02:59 AM
http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/2/5/1284810/anthony-davis-nfl-draft-scouting

http://www.nfldraftgeek.com/antdavis.html

He doesn't look that fat on this photo:
http://draftboardinsider.com/images/2010/Davis_Anthony.jpg

Tarlam!
03-23-2010, 06:16 AM
And I just tied it back up.

And I just chose now as the appropriate time to come out of retirement for a post and vote for the CB.

packrulz
03-23-2010, 06:32 AM
And I just tied it back up.

And I just chose now as the appropriate time to come out of retirement for a post and vote for the CB.

Welcome back!

jmbarnes101
03-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Even if we take Wilson I have a feeling that he's not someone TT is highly considering at this spot. Mainly because I think he's higher on Underwood and Lee than we are - assuming he thinks they stay healthy.

Of course, based off what we've seen him do before we could do anything or take anyone.

Jim

RashanGary
03-23-2010, 10:57 AM
I agree, I have a feeling if this is how the draft fell, we'd have a Ted special of some sort. I like Wilson more, but I know you can get zone corners in the 2nd through 5th rounds of any draft. Ted has more and better information to make a decision. As much as the guys we might love are gone, Ted probably has 50 guys he'd love to have in this draft and 30 of them are probably still available.

The way this decision pans out for us, I'd rather have a talented corner that works his butt off than a talented LT who doesn't care.

Charles Woodson
03-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Well if TT treats the corner position like he does the tackle position, we wont get a new corner until 2039, we have needed new tackles for a while, and since its the most pressing need and i would consider Davis the BPA because of his potential, he gets picked over wilson

swede
03-23-2010, 12:23 PM
My bias is that I hate picking linmen in the first round anyway.

[Edit: Former scene of random John Michaels, Ron Wolf ranting.]

pbmax
03-23-2010, 12:23 PM
Well if TT treats the corner position like he does the tackle position, we wont get a new corner until 2039, we have needed new tackles for a while, and since its the most pressing need and i would consider Davis the BPA because of his potential, he gets picked over wilson
Ted's drafted a number of CBs, including Lee in the draft. The highest selection on a O lineman was Colledge, who was immediately projected to Guard.

Charles Woodson
03-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Ted's drafted a number of CBs, including Lee in the draft. The highest selection on a O lineman was Colledge, who was immediately projected to Guard.
Im too lazy to look it up but dollars to doughnuts ted has taken more offensive linemen than dbs in the draft. But he still hasnt taken either in the first round. I believe we have only taken two dbs and one o linemen in the 2nd round also (collins and lee) and colledge

Charles Woodson
03-23-2010, 01:41 PM
but even still i would rather have sergio kindle or taylor mays

Zool
03-23-2010, 01:55 PM
10 OL
9 DB's

TennesseePackerBacker
03-23-2010, 02:58 PM
I think it's safe to say we will have an abundance of good players available to us at 23, and that a case can be made for numerous positions to be drafted there.

Hopefully, we aren't a victim of having too many choices.

Joemailman
03-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Im too lazy to look it up but dollars to doughnuts ted has taken more offensive linemen than dbs in the draft. But he still hasnt taken either in the first round. I believe we have only taken two dbs and one o linemen in the 2nd round also (collins and lee) and colledge

You prefer dollars to doughnuts?

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Simpsons_Donuts-l.jpg

pbmax
03-23-2010, 06:15 PM
10 OL
9 DB's
But how many tackles to CBs?

No, seriously, please look it up I am too busy with actual work here! :D

packrulz
03-24-2010, 05:53 AM
We got 24 votes so far, I'll leave it up until this afternoon and then we'll continue with the mock draft.

hoosier
03-24-2010, 07:46 AM
I would be happiest with either a pass-rushing OLB or a future starter at LT in the first round. But, based on the little that I know, I would be terrified of Davis (his slug potential seems just as great as his ceiling). But if there is a CB available at #23 who grades out higher than the best LT or OLB, have at it.

Bretsky
03-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Comments from PI at the combine

Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers: Very average workout for a player being talked up as a top-10 pick. Very raw and did not come across well in interviews.

RashanGary
03-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Comments from PI at the combine

Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers: Very average workout for a player being talked up as a top-10 pick. Very raw and did not come across well in interviews.

On the bright side, we don't pick for the Packers, so we can't ruin this pick the way we just did in this vote :)

swede
03-24-2010, 10:47 AM
It'd be funny if we got him in the 2nd round, but even Sapp got picked by what--#17? Talent makes some teams forgive character issues. Green Bay just isn't one of those teams.

RashanGary
03-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Wilson won the first vote. I think he should get a 3-vote handicap because more people had him as #1 on their list.

MadScientist
03-24-2010, 01:17 PM
I've found a new draft favorite:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/23/tebows-pre-wonderlic-prayer-request-falls-flat/

The guy who told Tebow to STFU has the right smash-mouth football attitude.

packrulz
03-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Since the vote is so close I'll wait until morning to announce a winner, anyone who hasn't voted yet, please do.

red
03-24-2010, 05:09 PM
I've found a new draft favorite:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/23/tebows-pre-wonderlic-prayer-request-falls-flat/

The guy who told Tebow to STFU has the right smash-mouth football attitude.

lol, love it

Brandon494
03-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Can't believe how many have voted for Anothy Davis. Just shows you they just drafted by position need instead of actually doing research on the player. This dude is a joke and thank god this is just a mock draft because TT wouldn't waste a 1st rounder on this guy. He has the talent but no work ethic and hes immature. Not only that but this guy wouldnt even start this year, but we need more talent on the defensive side of the ball then we do on offense.

Lurker64
03-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Can't believe how many have voted for Anothy Davis. Just shows you they just drafted by position need instead of actually doing research on the player. This dude is a joke and thank god this is just a mock draft because TT wouldn't waste a 1st rounder on this guy. He has the talent but no work ethic and hes immature. Not only that but this guy wouldnt even start this year, but we need more talent on the defensive side of the ball then we do on offense.

I'm just going more on "having watched Rutgers play" than on internet reports about his work ethic and his maturity.

Joemailman
03-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Of the draft sites I've looked at, none have Wilson ahead of Davis on their big board. That doesn't mean they're right, but I suspect they've "done research on the player". They are aware of Davis' shortcomings, but see him as an immense talent. The question is whether a team wants to take a shot at a boom or bust pick. That's what Davis is.

Brandon494
03-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Of the draft sites I've looked at, none have Wilson ahead of Davis on their big board. That doesn't mean they're right, but I suspect they've "done research on the player". They are aware of Davis' shortcomings, but see him as an immense talent. The question is whether a team wants to take a shot at a boom or bust pick. That's what Davis is.

I know that I just really don't like what I hear about Davis. JaMarcus Russell was ranked above everyone on the big board but the Raiders picked him anyway and ignored his immaturity and poor work ethic because he was talented. Anothy Davis could still be good player but he just not the type of player TT picks with his background.

CaliforniaCheez
03-24-2010, 09:47 PM
As some of you may know I try to find what the draft boards are saying. I average a few of the better ones so no player appears to high on the big board or too low based on any one web site.

On my big board Davis is number 19 and is the #4 OT. (Okung is #4, Bulaga is #6, Williams is #13.) The Redskins at 4, Seahawks at 6 and 14, Bills at 9, 49'ers at picks 13 and 17 all need an OT.

Kyle Wilson's number 24 on my big board and is the #2 CB. (Joe Haden the #1 CB is on the big board at #7.)

Teams drafting in front of the Packers have needs at corner. The Seahawks at 14, Giants at 15, 49'ers at 17, the Falcons at 19.

It may very well be that neither player is on the board when the Packers draft.

1) I think Ted will be forced to pick a DE in round one, either Brandon Graham or Carlos Dunlop.

2) The second round looks better for CB prospects. (like Dominique Franks or Chris Cook)

3) OT may not get addressed until round 3 with Jared Veldheer or Jason Fox.

Ted Thompson does suprise us with his picks but that is the way my big board is shaping up.

Brandon494
03-24-2010, 10:01 PM
1) I think Ted will be forced to pick a DE in round one, either Brandon Graham or Carlos Dunlop.

Carlos Dunlop? Exactly where would he fit on our defense? Not physical enough to play DE in a 3-4 defense and he is not athletic enough to play LB.

Also Brandon Graham has never played LB, I'm not trying to draft a project with our 1st pick when we can get a player like Jason Worilds later in the draft.

Fred's Slacks
03-24-2010, 10:04 PM

Not true at all. Character issues aside, Davis is BPA. He does fill a need but that is not at all why I chose him. I'm not looking to take the best OT available, but if Bulaga, Trent Williams or Davis are there at 23, they are most likely going to be the best player available based on talent.

pbmax
03-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Move the Sticks has Graham gone within the first 20 picks.

CaliforniaCheez
03-24-2010, 10:16 PM

Carlos Dunlop? Exactly where would he fit on our defense? Not physical enough to play DE in a 3-4 defense and he is not athletic enough to play LB.

Also Brandon Graham has never played LB, I'm not trying to draft a project with our 1st pick when we can get a player like Jason Worilds later in the draft.

1) Dunlop is huge 6' 6" 280lbs. I think he fits the 3-4.

2) Graham was the wrong name. Sorry, Everson Griffen DE USC was the player I meant. The little woman was bugging me while I typed.
Everson Griffen is 6' 3 1/2" and 275.

You are correct Graham does not seem to be a 3-4 DE. I misspoke.

It is only a guess based on where the players are on my big board,

CaliforniaCheez
03-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Move the Sticks has Graham gone within the first 20 picks.

Graham is #18 on my big board.

I should never have mentioned his name but I was getting an earful of her bad day and why I had to order a pizza because she refuses to cook.

Brandon494
03-24-2010, 10:20 PM
Dunlop might be 6'6 280 pounds but he is not a 3-4 DE.

Lurker64
03-25-2010, 03:54 AM

Dunlap would be a terrible fit for our defense, since he has prototypical 4-3 DE measurables, but is a very low-effort player and his feet aren't good, so you don't want him playing in space.

If Thompson is going to take a pass-rusher (3-4 OLB) in the first round, it's going to be Brandon Graham, Sergio Kindle, or maybe Jerry Hughes if both of those guys are gone (Everson Griffin is a possibility, but he's also a classic underachiever and has poor instincts, he was the guy USC benched so they could play Matthews).

If Thompson is going to take a DE (5-technique) in the first round, the only guy likely to be there where we pick would be Jared Odrick, but considering that the team only has 5 active DL on game days, and between Jenkins, Pickett, Jolly, and Raji there's not a lot of room. The kid we drafted last year, Jarius Wynn, has potential as he's already got a natural pass rush move plus a counter, but he's got some work to do before he's ready for the NFL. But the way the D-Line played last year indicates that there's really no need to spend a high draft pick on a d-lineman, you can't really ask for much better than we had last year from the front 3. And remember, the three guys on the defensive line in the Capers defense are pretty much worker bees, they don't necessarily make a lot of plays or get great stats, but they've got to work hard on every play or the rest of the defense doesn't work. Definitely not somewhere you want to put someone lazy like Dunlap.

packrulz
03-25-2010, 05:00 AM
Ok, guys and gals, there are 30 votes in, and the 2010 Packerrats consensus pick is Anthony Davis, LT, Rutgers. Thanks for voting. It was a close vote, remember that this is just a mock draft, unlike most mocks, at least you get to vote, and it's possible both will be gone when TT picks anyway. Time to resume the mock draft, mission is on the clock...

packrulz
03-25-2010, 05:21 AM
As some of you may know I try to find what the draft boards are saying. I average a few of the better ones so no player appears to high on the big board or too low based on any one web site.

On my big board Davis is number 19 and is the #4 OT. (Okung is #4, Bulaga is #6, Williams is #13.) The Redskins at 4, Seahawks at 6 and 14, Bills at 9, 49'ers at picks 13 and 17 all need an OT.

Kyle Wilson's number 24 on my big board and is the #2 CB. (Joe Haden the #1 CB is on the big board at #7.)

Teams drafting in front of the Packers have needs at corner. The Seahawks at 14, Giants at 15, 49'ers at 17, the Falcons at 19.

It may very well be that neither player is on the board when the Packers draft.

2) The second round looks better for CB prospects. (like Dominique Franks or Chris Cook)

3) OT may not get addressed until round 3 with Jared Veldheer or Jason Fox.

Ted Thompson does suprise us with his picks but that is the way my big board is shaping up.

Patrick Robinson, CB, Florida State has been rising up a lot of draft boards and might make it into the first round. He's a former wide receiver who has good size, 5'10", 190 lbs, speed, and played against top competition at FS. In 2009 he had 47 tackles, 11 passes broken up, and 6 picks. He was suspended for 3 games for some academic scandal.
03/19/2010 - Of the 14 former Florida State football players who worked out on the turf field for the school's annual Pro Day, there was a cornerback who hopes to be taken in the first round. There was a receiver who was kicked off the team before his senior year. There was a graduate student trying to make it as a long snapper. The 30 or so NFL scouts ??? including San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Singletary ??? in attendance got to see them all during the 21??2-hour workout. They got to see Patrick Robinson, a possible first-round selection in the April 22-24 draft, run 4.38 seconds in the 40-yard dash. "I thought I should have run a little faster, but I'm satisfied with it," said the three-year starter at cornerback. "... I think the last first-rounder we had was Lawrence Timmons in 2007. I'm trying to end that drought." - Corey Clark, The News-Press