PDA

View Full Version : Steve Smith (Car)

Tony Oday
03-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Do you think a rebuilding team like Carolina would let him go for a 2nd and a 4th? Would that be a decent deal...he is north of 30 but a trio of Jennings, Driver and Smith with Finley out of the backfield...eek! That would make Defenses cry a little.

Fritz
03-24-2010, 06:58 AM
A second & fourth for a 30 + receiver? No thanks.

hoosier
03-24-2010, 07:49 AM
Do you think a rebuilding team like Carolina would let him go for a 2nd and a 4th? Would that be a decent deal...he is north of 30 but a trio of Jennings, Driver and Smith with Finley out of the backfield...eek! That would make Defenses cry a little.

That scenario sounds to me like giving ARod too many mouths to feed. I would much rather devote my daydreaming efforts to uncovering a diamond in the rough at OLB or finding the next Anthony Muñoz in the draft.

Guiness
03-24-2010, 12:19 PM
I also think we stand pat at WR. While for different reasons, the answer is the same as it was to the idea of bringing in TO.

Sure, depth never hurts, and you don't know what injuries would bring, but if SS came to town, him or DD would be the #3 guy - pushing one of our #3 guys from last year to 5th, or even off the team, and I don't want to get rid of either Jones or Nelson just yet.

Tony Oday
03-24-2010, 12:44 PM
I also think we stand pat at WR. While for different reasons, the answer is the same as it was to the idea of bringing in TO.

Sure, depth never hurts, and you don't know what injuries would bring, but if SS came to town, him or DD would be the #3 guy - pushing one of our #3 guys from last year to 5th, or even off the team, and I don't want to get rid of either Jones or Nelson just yet.

the question there is Nelson or JJ something that can't be replaced? SS or DD at the #2 and #3 are basically the same...I am not a stats muncher but I would imagine we run about even the amount of times we have a 3 WR set compared to a 2 WR set.

The reason I even posed this question is seeing the dump of high salary older players in Carolina. I know it almost seems like overkill but damn what a way to take of the preasure on our D when we can score 50+ every game.

cheesner
03-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Do you think a rebuilding team like Carolina would let him go for a 2nd and a 4th? Would that be a decent deal...he is north of 30 but a trio of Jennings, Driver and Smith with Finley out of the backfield...eek! That would make Defenses cry a little.Nope, not for me. Smith is too selfish of a player to be happy on the Packers.

packerbacker1234
03-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Do you think a rebuilding team like Carolina would let him go for a 2nd and a 4th? Would that be a decent deal...he is north of 30 but a trio of Jennings, Driver and Smith with Finley out of the backfield...eek! That would make Defenses cry a little.Nope, not for me. Smith is too selfish of a player to be happy on the Packers.

Everyone is happy when you're winning games. As long as we keep winning, people usually stay in line. Look at TO - when his team is winning he is a good teammate. When they lose he isn't (except in buffalo... which some have said points to him finally maturing). In either case, were a team set up to win, so I doubt this would be a real concern. The question is if you can tell DD or jennings they are now #3. I would say Smith, honestly, is a step ahead of DD and may be, overall, a better WR then GJ, the question is if we really even NEED that.

With finely bassically being just as good as any other WR option on pass plays, combined with the fact that Nelson and Jones are decent in their own right... there really is no reason to bring in another option. 4 Solid WR's and a potential elite pass catching TE? Not sure what more you want.

Pugger
03-24-2010, 03:50 PM
I say no thanks too. We have other pressing needs besides WR to get us over the hump and deep in the playoffs. We need an OLB opposite CM3 to rush the passer, a corner and a safety, a punter and a T backup LT to groom behind Cliffy.

Brandon494
03-24-2010, 05:02 PM
haha wow really? First of all we would never get Smith for a 2nd and 4th rouder. Secondly if for some reason we did he would be the clear #1 WR on our team with Jennings being #2. Smiths number have decreased not because of his play but because of Jake Delhomme. You give him a talenteed QB to work with and he is a top 5 WR in the league.

hurleyfan
03-24-2010, 06:20 PM
I say no thanks too. We have other pressing needs besides WR to get us over the hump and deep in the playoffs. We need an OLB opposite CM3 to rush the passer, a corner and a safety, a punter and a T backup LT to groom behind Cliffy.

Jon Beason still with the Cats?? Dumping salaries?