PDA

View Full Version : A guard for us?

Tony Oday
08-01-2006, 07:40 AM
A third consecutive excellent NFL season in 2005 earned Bengals left guard Eric Steinbach first-alternate status for the Pro Bowl. Yet he still could be the odd man out on the Bengals' talented and increasingly expensive offensive line. Steinbach, like fellow starters Willie Anderson and Rich Braham, will have his current contract expire after the 2006 season. (Braham will turn 36 in November and continues to defy odds by playing at a high level, but he is expected to retire or sign with another team.) Losing Anderson could be a public relations disaster. Coach Marvin Lewis might be the face and voice and wide receiver Chad Johnson the personality of the team, but Anderson is its soul. Which brings the discussion back to Steinbach: Though agile and an outstanding pulling guard, versatile, able to play left tackle and center, Steinbach is still a guard. Guards do not command the same type of money as tackles. But Steinbach's asking price is believed to be $5.5 million-$5.7 million a year. That amount is closer to tackle money than guard money.

Got this off of the rumors from Fox Sports. I honestly dont know anything about him but the Bengals did have a great O line and we do need guards...however he seems to have been better suited to shermans running game.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2006, 07:59 AM
I thought the same thing when I read that article, but he'll get big money. Hopefully, by then Colledge, Wells, and Spitz/Coston have solidified their hold on the starting spot and we can go with a cheap alternative for a few years.

MJZiggy
08-01-2006, 08:05 AM
But really, how well does an expensive "great pulling guard" fit in our zone blocking scheme? I would be a little surprised if TT showed a whole lot of interest.

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 08:19 AM
# 65 Eric Steinbach Position: G Height: 6-6 Weight: 290
Born: 04/04/1980 College: Iowa NFL Experience: 4

In three seasons dressed for 47 games and started 46 with "the Bengal's".

My take on this player. Given the existing Cap $, or unless he comes in very reasonable on his $ demands, he will not be an option for T2.

Then, my second thought all. If we have money under the CAP then T2 should utilize it, to bring in a OL that ( BEST - has some versatility or a WR that can make plays).

KYPack
08-01-2006, 09:06 AM
The big question with this guy is the money.

He is a great athlete and could work in any teams scheme. He would shine in a ZBS. Not only that, he can play center better than anybody we've got right now.

He has improved every year in the league and is potentially a better guard than the sainted Wahle.

The problem is $. if the Bengals don't sign him, it will take Wahle-like money to get him signed.

Partial
08-01-2006, 09:10 AM
Not worth it. By the end of the year our oline situation will be resolved.

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 09:12 AM

I'd better take a ride with you. :mrgreen:

red
08-01-2006, 09:15 AM

yikes, i think i heard the same thing, about the same positions, last year

i hope this years different

Partial
08-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Well, lets think about it. The key to oline is experience in my eyes. By the end of this year, they'll draft a few more guys on day two and build the depth. It'll work out well. Guard = least important position on offense

retailguy
08-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Well, lets think about it. The key to oline is experience in my eyes. By the end of this year, they'll draft a few more guys on day two and build the depth. It'll work out well. Guard = least important position on offense

No Guard = Turnstile = Dead/Injured Brett Favre. Hmm.

Unimportant? :shock:

Rastak
08-01-2006, 09:51 AM
I read that Thompson considered Meadows but didn't want to give a 3 year deal like Denver.

SudsMcBucky
08-01-2006, 10:07 AM
I agree that $5.5-5.7MM is too much to pay a guard, however, the description of him is EXACTLY what would play into MM's new offense (much like the Falcons.) This should be a run heavy team with the OL needing the ability to move, not the typical road graters on power teams.

the_idle_threat
08-01-2006, 10:13 AM
As seen in Atlanta and Denver, this scheme does not require big-money offensive linemen. I agree with Partial that the young guys will step up and this will be a moot point. Spend the $$$ on a skill player.

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2006, 10:20 AM
I think the Oline is in dangerous shape, what will it look like when the inevitable guy or two is lost to injury?

If a vet is available, Thompson must sign him, even if it is conflict with longterm interests.

the_idle_threat
08-01-2006, 10:26 AM
Spend a few bucks on a short-term stop-gap to back up at tackle? Sure.

Spend big $$$ for a long-term starter at guard when we already have a bunch of young talented guys, and a scheme that does not require elite players? No.

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 10:29 AM
I think the Oline is in dangerous shape, what will it look like when the inevitable guy or two is lost to injury?

If a vet is available, Thompson must sign him, even if it is conflict with longterm interests.

This may indeed be OUR best chance, and T2 has to thourougly explore the possibility. The consequence could be tossing away the entire season?

We are dreadfully thin on experience and depth on OUR OL ,and that situation demands action from T2, or he is going to be criticized for not caring (really) about the 2006 Edition of "the Packers".

Nomore excuses, nomore plausable "set that aside explanations" and later come back with . . " well we learn from OUR mistakes and I was wrong there ". That won't wash ! We need REAL help on OUR OL . . .NOW!!!!

The fans deserve more. from OUR GM.

Get in gear Ted Thompson. Improve OUR team now for 2006 - PLEASE. :mrgreen:

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Spend a few bucks on a short-term stop-gap to back up at tackle? Sure.

Spend big $$$ for a long-term starter at guard when we already have a bunch of young talented guys, and a scheme that does not require elite players? No.

I generally agree.

I'm assuming the Vet would be capable of playing guard or tackle in a pinch. And I don't mind if he is expensive. Maybe this particular guy doesn't fit the bill, I don't know.

Alternatively, they have to consider Colledge to be a backup tackle.

The choices are all bad. HAve to make the best of the situation.

BF4MVP
08-01-2006, 10:37 AM
A Pro Bowl alternate who has only been in the league 4 years?

I think Thompson would seriously have to consider that..

Nothing against Colledge or Spitz of course.

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 10:47 AM
A Pro Bowl alternate who has only been in the league 4 years?

I think Thompson would seriously have to consider that..

Nothing against Colledge or Spitz of course.

That option has to be explored thouroughly - seriously considered, because this is a young and experienced player that may cost us in $ but prevent the cost of OUR Team collapsing.

The prudence of the bet has to exceed the risk of failure on OUR OL and consequently, sacrificing any real progress we may gain this season.

Many of you may argue that what will one quality player meaqn to us in a re-building phase? What about the pride of the players that have served us in the past? What about the pride of most that will make OUR Roster?

What is that worth after finishing 4-12 last season?

Packer pride !!!

Partial
08-01-2006, 10:49 AM
you can't tie up 5% of the salary cap on a guard though. Too much money!!

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 10:58 AM
you can't tie up 5% of the salary cap on a guard though. Too much money!!

We don't give him the bank, but we do give him an opportunity to help us at the price that T2 believes is fair.

We may "in fact" have it covered in camp, but we are walking a thin line at best.

KYPack
08-01-2006, 11:10 AM
I don't think most of you know how good Steinbach is. I see this guy a lot and Eric Steinbach is the real deal. He would be perfect for us, but I doubt we get a shot at him for a couple reasons:

1. The Bengals will probably use the franchise tag on Steinbach

2. TT doesn't like a lotta big $ FA's. Steinbach would be huge dollars for a guard.

the_idle_threat
08-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Keep in mind, this guy is a guard, not a tackle, and is not going to be available---if at all---until free agency at the end of this season. We can't get him now even if we want to.

Our biggest need right now is a backup tackle for this season, now that our top 2 backups are done for the year.

This guy will not help us there.

Meanwhile, I seriously doubt we will find a free-agent guard this late in the offseason who will be able to come in and start any more effectively than the young guys we already have. Any castoffs will be backup material a la Matt O'Dwyer.

If our young guards flop this season, then maybe we consider signing this guy next offseason, though there's no reason to believe he will sign for any less than Mike Wahle did with Carolina. By that time, I expect the young guys we have will have proven themselves. They already have a lot more talent than the scheme requires.

packiowa
08-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Eric did play in a zone scheme for the Iowa Hawkeyes. Personally, I would be ecstatic to get him, but don't expect to get a former 1st rounder cheap.

The next move would be to get Gallery to play tackle. Then we can fix Bruce Nelson's career ending injury and give him the center position and the Green Bay Hawkeyes will be complete.

Next years crop of Hawkeyes that G.B. may consider:

Scott Chandler (te)-- former wr. He can catch the ball. Late pick

Mike Jones (g)-- highly recruited guard that never redshirted. He's the one I want for next year.

Marshall Yanda (ot)-- former juco. he could go really late, but probably will sign as a free agent at best

Kyle Schlicher (k)-- Schlicher the kicker. He's not Kaeding, but he's good.

the_idle_threat
08-01-2006, 11:25 AM
As I recall, Steinbach was considered by many to be first round talent, but actually fell to the top of the second round.

Technicality, really, as he missed the 1st round by one slot.

packiowa
08-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Very true. I forgot that he dropped.

Anyway, as you said, being a guard, #33 is virtually the first round. He was the first guard (4-5 ot and Faine at center) taken that year and the only G in the first two rounds.

Partial
08-01-2006, 11:48 AM
Pack Iowa, great to have you here!

the_idle_threat
08-01-2006, 11:53 AM
He is definitely a top talent at guard. I remember thinking that Cincy had a hell of a draft that year, getting Carson Palmer #1 overall and then landing Steinbach. Now, their offense reflects it.

That being said, I still think he's a bad fit for the Pack, for multiple reasons as explained above.

Also, people seem to forget that Colledge is a 2nd-round guard, and Spitz is a 3rd rounder. That's good talent at guard. Let the young'ins develop.

Partial
08-01-2006, 01:00 PM
He is definitely a top talent at guard. I remember thinking that Cincy had a hell of a draft that year, getting Carson Palmer #1 overall and then landing Steinbach. Now, their offense reflects it.

That being said, I still think he's a bad fit for the Pack, for multiple reasons as explained above.

Also, people seem to forget that Colledge is a 2nd-round guard, and Spitz is a 3rd rounder. That's good talent at guard. Let the young'ins develop.

Amen on the 2nd and 3rd rounders this year. That's what i'm saying. They may sign some guys to 1 year deals for depth this year, but next year they will add depth to the OL on the second day of the draft.

As for the Cinci draft, I was in the Palmer was gonna bust crew. Boy, was I wrong!

the_idle_threat
08-01-2006, 01:34 PM
There were legitimate questions regarding Palmer, b/c as I recall, he only had one good year in college.