PDA

View Full Version : Free agency's impact on the draft.

packrulz
03-25-2010, 05:51 AM
I know teams say they're going to draft the BPA (best player availiable), but free agent losses cannot be ignored. Usually, they're high priced, experienced veterans, and it does hurt the team when they leave. Teams do draft for need, if they didn't "need" the guy, then why draft him?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/13043794/freeagent-factor-how-key-signings-will-affect-draft?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

packrulz
03-25-2010, 06:06 AM
On a side note, the Eagles are shopping McNabb, obviously that would affect the draft, especially if they trade with the Rams.

Posted on: March 24, 2010 6:00 pm
If Rams get McNabb, Bradford still an option
Philadelphia head coach Andy Reid created some buzz at the owner's meetings today with the announcement that the Eagles are, in fact, listening to trader offers for their quarterbacks, including incumbent starter Donovan McNabb.

Soon after, Jeff McLane of The Philadelphia Inquirer reported via an anonymous league source that the St. Louis Rams have offered the Eagles their second round pick, No. 33 overall, and free safety OJ Atogwe in exchange for the Pro Bowl quarterback.

If the Rams were to acquire McNabb it would seemingly open them up to take one of the two defensive tackles, Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy, the top two rated players in the draft in the eyes of many.

This, however, wouldn't necessarily be the case. While the salary ramifications of trading for McNabb (and agreeing to a new contract with him) and then taking Sam Bradford with the first pick would be historic, it would also give the Rams a great deal of talent at the game's most important position. With no salary cap, the once inconceivable notion of paying two quarterbacks top dollar would, at least theoretically, be possible. The combination of McNabb and running back Steven Jackson would give Steve Spagnuolo's Rams the offensive talent to compete in the wide-open NFC West immediately. It would also give Sam Bradford time to acclimate to the speed of the NFL.

If nothing else, the Rams likely would keep the appearance of considering Bradford with the first pick so as to potentially force a team like the Redskins, Seahawks or Browns to make a trade.

red
03-25-2010, 08:35 AM
i think the rams would be smart to get mcnabb.

IMO this is a very weak draft for qb's, with bradford being the only really good looking QB. but i would have a real tough time spending the first overall pick on a guy with some pretty big injury concerns

get Mcnabb and maybe a better looking franchise qb presents himself in the next couple of years

hoosier
03-25-2010, 09:46 AM
I think the Rams would be silly to make that trade. Even if they draft a DT, they have still traded away their best defender and the 33rd pick of the draft for a QB who has been injury prone and probably only has a few productive years left. In other words, by the time the Rams finish rebuilding (which will take even longer if they continue to trade away high draft picks) McNabb will need a walker. They have been one of the two worst teams in the league for several years running now. Adding McNabb is not going to turn them into a playoff contender.

Gunakor
03-25-2010, 02:51 PM
I think the Rams would be silly to make that trade. Even if they draft a DT, they have still traded away their best defender and the 33rd pick of the draft for a QB who has been injury prone and probably only has a few productive years left. In other words, by the time the Rams finish rebuilding (which will take even longer if they continue to trade away high draft picks) McNabb will need a walker. They have been one of the two worst teams in the league for several years running now. Adding McNabb is not going to turn them into a playoff contender.

No, but it might put some fans in the stands while they work on getting some of the rest of the pieces they need to be a contender.

packrulz
03-25-2010, 03:20 PM
I agree, the Rams would get hosed on that deal.