PDA

View Full Version : Ferguson at it again

Creepy
08-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Woodson's second int yesterday was when he wrestled the ball away from Ferguson. Same old Fergie, giving the ball up, not fighting to keep it or knock it down. I know this is the TC and it is the first time this year, but it sounds like old habits are hard to break.

IMHO, Ferguson should be used on the 3d team until he starts doing more than running down field. The HC/OC said they want receivers that will go after the ball and fight for it, obviously this is not what Feguson will do.

Again it may be early, but how long do you allow him to do this before you get rid of him?

MJZiggy
08-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Not long, imo. On that training camp show yesterday, they showed a particularly annoying INT where the defender grabbed at the ball and Ferguson just plain let go.

MadtownPacker
08-01-2006, 08:11 AM
Nah, dont get rid of him. Just make him return KOs and be the gunner on STs. If he cant find his spine doing that then give him the boot.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Ferguson is a good special teams player, and he has had success in the past as the #3 receiver. I wouldn't cut him--unless there are three other guys who clearly outshine him in practice and the preseason games. I was very disappointed in him last year. He seemed to be gunshy about contact (Darius hit?). I'm hoping he rebounds. I still think he has the ability to give the team good play as a #3 or #4 receiver and very good play on special teams.

Creepy
08-01-2006, 08:57 AM
He has been injured and never completes a whole season. When Walker went down he stopped being a gunner on ST. If he can't make the play at WR, get rid of him. There are enough players left who can play ST.

IMO, Ferguson needs a new home. His play last year of not fighting for balls, all around poor performance was enough. Brett lost faith in him and if the new staff has watched film they are not jumping for joy about him. Unless every WR is crap in camp, Ferguson is gone. Current writings seem to show that Jennings may be the #3 at the begining of the season or possibly the #2.

If it is a young WR and Feguson playing for a posiiton and the younger WR shows a little promise, I will take him over Fergie. After 5 years he can no longer be called a project, he needs to be called a bust.

Green Bud Packer
08-01-2006, 09:00 AM
most teams would take fergie as a number three wideout. i just don't see anyone as a sure fire #2 on this team. driver is best as a #2 but we have no true #1.look for t.e. to have big numbers this year

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Ferguson is a good special teams player, and he has had success in the past as the #3 receiver. I wouldn't cut him--unless there are three other guys who clearly outshine him in practice and the preseason games. I was very disappointed in him last year. He seemed to be gunshy about contact (Darius hit?). I'm hoping he rebounds. I still think he has the ability to give the team good play as a #3 or #4 receiver and very good play on special teams.

Yes I agree that he gets one more season with us then I ask why?

Why won't he fight for the ball? A WR can never just give up on the ball, and must at least, try his best to not allow a pick.The play isn't over till the whistle blows !

In that situation a case of being gun shy just doesn't wash. My fear for him is obviously the Packer coach's are going to observe Robert Ferguson and need from him, a much more aggressive style of play or certainly he can forget being more than a #3-#4 WR and playing ST's.

Now my tough side.

What in "H" is R. F. thinking? Is any WR content with just that, that we see in him? If so, then he is in for a disappointment if he really wants to play with "the Packers"? Quite frankly, Robert Ferguson works too hard (Brett Favre tells us just that) to simply, just give up on the ball. I am really disappointed in him and the Darius hit no longer holds any water for me.

We have other players in TC that would be content to just contribute on ST's and maybe later develop more as a WR of real value to us. I think that Robert Ferguson in in real jeopardy of being cut. Dam! He had trade value last year in the off season. ( the Eagles )

Pack0514
08-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Anyone else notice at Favre's press conference yesterday that whenever he would talk about the receivers, the first names out of his mouth pertaining to talent were Driver, Jennings, and Gardner..... then he would end it with something like 'and Fergie works hard'.

I personally thought it was kind of telling as to Favre's thoughts.

Go back and listen to the press conference if you dont believe me.

RashanGary
08-01-2006, 09:08 AM
Nah, dont get rid of him. Just make him return KOs and be the gunner on STs. If he cant find his spine doing that then give him the boot.

I agree. Ferg sucks, but in a pinch he's better than Chatman. You know what? Come to think of it, Chatman had a better year than Ferg ever did. That is sad. Jennings is like Chatman but much more explosive and fast and even has better ball skills. If Chatman can get 50 catches what is to stop Jennings from getting 70?

I do think Ferg has value as a ST player. He can return kicks and punts. He can cover kicks and punts. That is 15 + plays per game right there. He's good at it too.

red
08-01-2006, 09:10 AM
the problem i see with keeping him, other then the fact that he is completely unreliable as a WR, is that he is the 10th highest payed player on the team this year with a cap number of 2.8 million. thats a lot of money for a #4 or #5 WR and special teams player. IMO

if the team has a choice for those positions between a vet that failed big time to live up to his potential over and over again, and a young guy who hasn't been given a shot to show anything yet, i would pick the younger guy

maybe its time to realise that fergy doesn't have any potential after 5 years of waiting for him to reach it. maybe he's peaked, and this is the best he can offer. if thts the case then let him go

red
08-01-2006, 09:12 AM

I agree. Ferg sucks, but in a pinch he's better than Chatman. You know what? Come to think of it, Chatman had a better year than Ferg ever did. That is sad. Jennings is like Chatman but much more explosive and fast and even has better ball skills. If Chatman can get 50 catches what is to stop Jennings from getting 70?

I do think Ferg has value as a ST player. He can return kicks and punts. He can cover kicks and punts. That is 15 + plays per game right there. He's good at it too.

don't forget Jennings is bigger then chapman too, with mutch better hands

ND72
08-01-2006, 09:16 AM
what wasn't reported was Fergy's 2 catches he DID take away from a DB yesterday, including one for a TD.

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 09:21 AM
the problem i see with keeping him, other then the fact that he is completely unreliable as a WR, is that he is the 10th highest payed player on the team this year with a cap number of 2.8 million. thats a lot of money for a #4 or #5 WR and special teams player. IMO

if the team has a choice for those positions between a vet that failed big time to live up to his potential over and over again, and a young guy who hasn't been given a shot to show anything yet, i would pick the younger guy

maybe its time to realise that fergy doesn't have any potential after 5 years of waiting for him to reach it. maybe he's peaked, and this is the best he can offer. if thts the case then let him go

Unless, Robert Ferguson light's it up in Pre-season games, I have to agree with you red.

Dam ! If it helps us to afford a player where we have more need now - the OL - sign that guard ASAP to work him in ASAP and afford him by cutting Robert ferguson so he can possibly move on elsewhere.

T2 should make a move in this respect today! Drop the bomb!!

It's time to :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: with Robert Ferguson, as long as that move can offer us an opportunity for more than he can give us. We are certainly hurting at OL.

DAM ! It's such a shame as I loved this WR as he was developing then WHAM !!!

the_idle_threat
08-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Fergy is a solid #2 of the flushing variety. He stinks and it's time for a courtesy flush.

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Fergy is a solid #2 of the flushing variety. He stinks and it's time for a courtesy flush.

Oh! Oh !!

Dam it's HOT in the Montreal area today-way too much humidity. Usually we get later in the week, what you fellas in the Cenral North get.

I can't imagine a TC in plus 100 deg. F. The local Greenfield Park Packers were practising last evening and when they we're doing their cool down exercises - it was raining cats and dogs. We have an establised and outstanding minor football program here.

We have been getting alot of rain, and oppressive heat for me. Alot of days 85-95 F. Air conditioner on OT. It's summer. :mrgreen:

ND72
08-01-2006, 09:37 AM
yesterday was hot, today is hotter...some guys were feeling it yetsterday in practice you could tell...but a lot of guys went on like it wasn't a big deal.

RashanGary
08-01-2006, 09:56 AM
OK, I misphrased....

Jennings is bigger, taller, better hand, more fluid, quicker, more explosive and faster.

The only thing similar is that they can catch the ball consistantly. Jennings will make all the routine plays and once and a while break one. I shouldn't have compared them except that I was thinking Jennings could get those 50 balls and then some.

BF4MVP
08-01-2006, 10:29 AM
what wasn't reported was Fergy's 2 catches he DID take away from a DB yesterday, including one for a TD.
With the way Fergy pissed off every Packer fan in the universe last year, he's really going to be under the microscope this year. It's going to be difficult for him to get credit for things he does well, and difficult for people to forgive him when he screws something up.

Fergy pretty much brought that on himself when he sucked it up last year though.

Here's hoping he rebounds this year..I think he'll be a starter..

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 10:38 AM
With the way Fergy pissed off every Packer fan in the universe last year, he's really going to be under the microscope this year. It's going to be difficult for him to get credit for things he does well, and difficult for people to forgive him when he screws something up.

Fergy pretty much brought that on himself when he sucked it up last year though.

Hey BF4MVP ! Good to see YOU back !! :mrgreen:

BF4MVP
08-01-2006, 10:40 AM

Hey BF4MVP ! Good to see YOU back !! :mrgreen:
Thanks Woodbuck! It's good to BE back! :D

Willard
08-01-2006, 11:12 AM

Potential bias in the reporting is one reason I love to read several different reviews of the practices including those by my fellow Packerrats! Different observers offer different takes on the action. Selective (or subjective) reporting can influence a fan's opinion on any of these guys. Maybe our own sideline reporters can quantify Fergy's success rate: times thrown to, # of potential catches, # of catches, # of drops, # of give-ups, # of fighting for it, etc....

MadtownPacker
08-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Here's hoping he rebounds this year..I think he'll be a starter

WHAT??????????? You just mainline some ROIDS?

The only thing Fergie should be "starting" at is starting to look for a new job cuz Darius removed most of his guts with that deadly clothesline.

BF4MVP
08-01-2006, 11:31 AM

Depth chart (http://www.packers.com/team/depth_chart/)

the_idle_threat
08-01-2006, 11:44 AM

I wouldn't put too much faith in an offseason depth chart.

Willie Roaf and Jonathan Welbourn have both announced their retirements, and are still listed as starters right now on KC's depth chart (http://www.kcchiefs.com/depth_chart/).

BF4MVP
08-01-2006, 11:45 AM
I know, but it's all I got to work with right now :wink:

MadtownPacker
08-01-2006, 11:47 AM

Is that the same depth chart that had Fergy listed as the #2 in 2004 when traitor walker had like triple his stats? :mrgreen:

BF4MVP
08-01-2006, 11:48 AM

Is that the same depth chart that had Fergy listed as the #2 in 2004 when traitor walker had like triple his stats? :mrgreen:
LOL touche

Just wait and see..

GBRulz
08-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Hey BF4, where ya been hiding??

I think the Pack might be a bit gunshy about cutting Ferg right now. About this time last year, we felt like we had an abdunent amount of WR's, well after JW went down..more injuries followed and we were forced to start NFLE calibur players. Jamal Jones, anyone?

But I certainly agree with many though, 5 years is enough time to invest in a project. I really thought that he would take advantage of JW going down last year to shine as our #2 WR. Guess I need to sip another glass of Kool-Aid.

BF4MVP
08-01-2006, 12:31 PM
I've been around..

I've missed you guys though :cry:

I'll be posting a lot more now that the season is here..I just hate offseasons...

Zool
08-01-2006, 01:35 PM

I think the Pack might be a bit gunshy about cutting Ferg right now. About this time last year, we felt like we had an abdunent amount of WR's, well after JW went down..more injuries followed and we were forced to start NFLE calibur players. Jamal Jones, anyone?

But I certainly agree with many though, 5 years is enough time to invest in a project. I really thought that he would take advantage of JW going down last year to shine as our #2 WR. Guess I need to sip another glass of Kool-Aid.

What evern happened to Taco anyways?

ND72
08-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Potential bias in the reporting is one reason I love to read several different reviews of the practices including those by my fellow Packerrats! Different observers offer different takes on the action. Selective (or subjective) reporting can influence a fan's opinion on any of these guys. Maybe our own sideline reporters can quantify Fergy's success rate: times thrown to, # of potential catches, # of catches, # of drops, # of give-ups, # of fighting for it, etc....

couldn't agree more with this...I think it was on the JS board that "aaron rodgers looked horrible, didn't have a clue" at yesterday's practice....Rodgers threw like 3 incomplete passes the entire afternoon, and I thought looked really sharp. Of course the guy who wrote that has been a Rodgers basher from the start.

Joemailman
08-01-2006, 04:33 PM

Fergy counts 2.8 mil against the cap if he makes the team, 1.4 mil if Tt cuts him. At that kind of money, he has to at least be one of the top 3 WR's to justify a roster spot. You can't justify that kind of money for a special teams guy.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2006, 04:38 PM
They have plenty of cap room, and the longer you can wait to cut a guy, the less cap space it ends up eating up. If we cut him now, it's going to hurt us on the cap next year. If we wait a year, it will hurt us on later years but with a lesser penalty. If he's one of the five best wideouts on the roster, he'll be on the team--unless they can find somebody that they think is better that gets cut on another team.

Lare
08-01-2006, 06:31 PM
I think we're going to see some real surprises when it comes to final cuts this year. I'm guessing TT isn't acquiring a bunch of draft picks and young FAs every year so that they can get beat out by "never-were's" and "never-will-be's" on a rebuilding team, especially for 10-times the cap charge. IMO, Ferguson fits in that category.

Bretsky
08-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Fergy is nothing more than a #4.

the_idle_threat
08-01-2006, 10:27 PM
I think we're going to see some real surprises when it comes to final cuts this year. I'm guessing TT isn't acquiring a bunch of draft picks and young FAs every year so that they can get beat out by "never-were's" and "never-will-be's" on a rebuilding team, especially for 10-times the cap charge. IMO, Ferguson fits in that category.

This is an excellent point! :idea: