PDA

View Full Version : Who can the Packers least afford to get injured?

CaliforniaCheez
03-25-2010, 03:42 PM
When you consider the Packers chances of success the upcoming season, injuries and depth are major concerns. It may help you consider where depth is needed in the draft.

The players I think the Packers can least afford to miss time are:

1) Rodgers
2) Woodson
3) Harris
4) Clifton
5) Collins
6) Jenkins
7) Matthews
8) Driver
9) Pickett
10) Grant

These are the players that have to be on the field all season.
Who do you think the Packers can least afford to be without?

DannoMac21
03-25-2010, 03:45 PM
1) Aaron Rodgers
2) Aaron Rodgers
3) Aaron Rodgers

Fritz
03-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Rodgers
Woodson
Clifton
Matthews
Jennings
Jenkins
Raji
Pickett
Barnett
Finley

wist43
03-25-2010, 03:55 PM
1) Rodgers - lose your QB, in a QB driven system, ur done
2) Woodson
3) Matthews - offenses will account for him next year
4) Jolly - for my money he was our best DL last year
5) Collins - if only b/c we have no one else
6) Tramon Williams - same reason as for Collins
7) Clifton - automatic in pass pro, no one behind him
8) Jenkins - decent depth on the line, but he's a good player
9) Pickett
10) Raji

Everybody else can be replaced... not saying there wouldn't be some diminishment, but there is either decent depth behind a guy, or the starter isn't a world beater to begin with.

Those 10 guys would either be tough to replace, or they are special players...

I put Raji on the list b/c he has the ability to be a difference maker. The high ankle sprain really set him back, and with a year in an NFL offseason program, I expect him to make a big jump.

Joemailman
03-25-2010, 04:20 PM
Jay Cutler

RashanGary
03-25-2010, 05:10 PM
1) Rodgers - lose your QB, in a QB driven system, ur done
2) Woodson
3) Matthews - offenses will account for him next year
4) Jolly - for my money he was our best DL last year
5) Collins - if only b/c we have no one else
6) Tramon Williams - same reason as for Collins
7) Clifton - automatic in pass pro, no one behind him
8) Jenkins - decent depth on the line, but he's a good player
9) Pickett
10) Raji

Everybody else can be replaced... not saying there wouldn't be some diminishment, but there is either decent depth behind a guy, or the starter isn't a world beater to begin with.

Those 10 guys would either be tough to replace, or they are special players...

I put Raji on the list b/c he has the ability to be a difference maker. The high ankle sprain really set him back, and with a year in an NFL offseason program, I expect him to make a big jump.

I like Wist's. I'd move Clifton to #3 below Woodson, keep it the same otherwise. Our division, we can't afford to lose our LT. This whole list could change after the draft.

Joemailman
03-25-2010, 05:39 PM
I'd put Collins ahead of Jolly. A combination of Raji and Wynn could more adequately replace Jolly than anyone we have to replace Collins. In fact, with a healthy Al Harris, I might put Collins ahead of Woodson.

red
03-25-2010, 05:44 PM
we can still make a run if we lose any one guy, as long as we don't lose a bunch of guys we'll be ok

except for rodgers. a-rod goes down and we're done

Gunakor
03-25-2010, 06:02 PM
That list is far too big IMO. Aaron Rodgers is the #1 guy who can't get injured for any length of time. Nick Collins is #2, and Ryan Grant is #3. Beyond that I don't see anybody on the list that doesn't have a fair amount of depth behind him on the chart. Most of those guys have missed games due to injury in the past and we've overcome.

It took 3 injuries in our defensive backfield before we crumbled - so as far as that group specifically is concerned, I'd say it's vital that we don't lose both Woodson AND Harris. But one or the other I think we could manage.

The DL doesn't concern me as much injury wise. If Pickett or Jolly or Jenkins get injured, Raji could fill in and play any of the 3 DL positions. If we lost 2 starters on the DL I'd start to worry, but again, just one I think we'd get by okay.

Of our linebackers, Matthews is the only standout as a starter. Behind the starters are a couple above average backups in Brady Poppinga and Brandon Chillar, each of whom have a fair amount of starting experience. There's also Desmond Bishop, who needs to work on his coverage skills but plays well at the LOS. I think we could sustain a couple injuries to our LB corps and be just fine.

I'd comment on the offensive line, but truth be told there aren't many on that line I'm happy with even when healthy. Clifton deserves to be on this list as we don't have much behind him at left tackle (draft pending of course), but aside from him and Josh Sitton I don't think the starters are a whole helluva lot better than the guys behind them. Spitz could fill in at LG and C just as effectively as Colledge and Wells are, and Lang should be nearly as effective at RT as Tauscher is. We've been playing musical chairs on that line for two years now anyway. Something tells me that isn't going to change this year.

Brandon494
03-25-2010, 06:14 PM
I would go #1 A-Rod, #2 Woodson, #3 Matthews.

sharpe1027
03-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Based upon how big of a drop off there would be in the likely replacement here's my take:

1) Rodgers - Duh?
2) Grant - Often over looked, but wow, there's just nothing behind him.
3) Woodson - Just plays so damn well that I don't care how good T. Will is.
4) Matthews - Nobody else on the roster brings what he does.
5) Clifton - Maybe Lang would do OK...you don't want to be forced to take that risk.
6) Finley - Compared to Lee/Havner...maybe he should be even higher?
7) Collins - Might suffer if he is out, but can probably cover up his replacement easier than some other positions.
8) Barnett - Better than many people think he is IMHO.
9) Jennings - Jones/Nelson are often overrated.

mission
03-25-2010, 06:37 PM
I would go #1 A-Rod, #2 Woodson, #3 Matthews.

This is my vote. Easy.

Pugger
03-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Jay Cutler

:lol: :rs:

Guiness
03-26-2010, 12:59 AM
I'm with Gunakor in saying that it's important Woodson AND Harris don't get injured. Yes, Woodson is great, DPOY great, but we do have some depth back there and losing one player won't break the system. I'd even argue we could lose Collins; I think Woodson would move to safety, and TWill would start at CB.

Clifton is a big ?. I think we saw Colledge isn't ever going to play there. Lang is a possibility, but that would be taking a chance.

Next on my list is Grant. I think if he were to go down, we'd be making phone calls in a hurry.

Barnett is something to look at as well. When he went down a couple of years ago, the D really dropped off. Is he less of a keystone in the 3-4? Could Chillar or Bishop fill his role?

hoosier
03-26-2010, 07:49 AM
Jay Cutler :lol: :lol:

sheepshead
03-26-2010, 08:50 AM
Jay Cutler :lol: :lol:

Well Done! :D

MichiganPackerFan
03-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Jay Cutler

Best.
Answer.
Yet.

packerbacker1234
03-26-2010, 02:01 PM
1. Rodgers - Too obvious
2. RYAN GRANT - say what you want about grant, but we have absolutely NO ONE who can replace him full time on this roster. If we are already considered 1 dimensional as it is, imagine what the loss of grant does for us entirely? Might as well bring in TO. 4 and 5 WR sets are going to become a norm if he goes down.

3. Woodson - if anything other then the fact he is one of the best defensive players in the league. Impact guy, you can't replace that.
4. Harris/Williams - until harris proves he is elite again, I'll put them on even keel. After these two we really have no one else for corner.
5. Collins/Bigby - we have no true replacement for either, making the value, honestly, even.
6. Clifton - Lang didn't do that well really last year filling in, but he was respectable. Would rather not NEED to have lang in here.
7. Normally I would put Finely here, but we went without him for long stretches last season and we still were winning games. Really, he is a beast... but nothing that a 3rd WR can't replace int erms of pure production. So, in his stead... Joly. Not sure we really have anyone who can replace him on that line.

And thats it. I think if we lost Barnett or Matthews it would be hard on us too since we have no real replacement for either, but I think that is the case for most teams. I think most other injuries this team can endure so long as it isn't season ending.

BallHawk
03-27-2010, 01:29 PM
I'm surprised to see people underrating Finley's importance here. Our offense is much more potent with Finley on the field. Not only his playing ability, but merely his presence forces teams to gameplan for him and that opens up the offense for the other guys. Havener and Lee can't even come close to what he can do. If we win the division next year, I guarantee it will be partly due to Finley having an Antonio Gates/Tony Gonzales-like season.

wist43
03-27-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm surprised to see people underrating Finley's importance here. Our offense is much more potent with Finley on the field. Not only his playing ability, but merely his presence forces teams to gameplan for him and that opens up the offense for the other guys. Havener and Lee can't even come close to what he can do. If we win the division next year, I guarantee it will be partly due to Finley having an Antonio Gates/Tony Gonzales-like season.

I considered Finley, but I've always liked Lee - so while there is certainly drop off, it isn't debilitating.

And offensively in general, they have plenty of weapons, so they can game plan around the loss of Finley - as they did for much of the year last year.

Clifton would be a much greater loss b/c he can perform at a high level, and there is no one behind him.

And defensively, they are always one conservative game plan from Capers away from disaster - so, the loss of any of the key defensive personnel trumps the loss of someone like Finley too.

vince
03-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Right now, Matthews has got to be WAY up on the list, just below Rodgers and probably right there with Wood. If the Packers lose what pass rush they have, we've all seen what happens.

wist43
03-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Right now, Matthews has got to be WAY up on the list, just below Rodgers and probably right there with Wood. If the Packers lose what pass rush they have, we've all seen what happens.

I agree, however... I don't put the debacle that was the playoff game on the players... that mess was 90% Capers.

With the Packers personnel on defense, Mathews development, Jolly playing at a high level... Woodson all world on the back end - that nonsense we saw in the playoffs was of Capers doing.

You could have 11 pro-bowlers on your defense, and that game plan will yield 40+ pts every time.

In terms of players??? yes, Matthews has established himself as indispensible.

Fritz
03-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Pass Rush is key to an NFL defense. More than ever.

Freak Out
03-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Will Blackmon.