http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/89336932.html

THOUGHTS on New Draft Format ?

WHO does it HELP or HURT, if anybody ?

HOW will things be different ??

Bretsky
03-28-2010, 12:36 PM
Some Initial Thoughts

1. I love the new format.

2. On a whole, I think this hurts Green Bay. Here are my thoughts on why.

A. I consider TT one of the better drafters in the NFL
B. I consider TT one of the more organized GM's who map and the plan and stick to it
C. I think all the breaks give me time to the less efficient teams who need it
D. The new format will serves as an equalizer

3. I think the new format may help more trades occur. Teams will remap out their needs/wishes after round one, and round two and can communicate with other teams after those two nights. It will be easier for them to get a feel for who they can and can not make a deal with........more excitement !!

4. I heard TIM TEBOW is going to attend this draft. Great Guy; I'd take him on my team any day....but he'll the the ESPN Posterboy of the guy who's slipping and falling....and him being there still in round two will GREATLY help the ESPN ratings on night two of the draft.

LESS THAN A MONTH AWAY !!!!

pbmax
03-28-2010, 12:49 PM
As an employed adult, I appreciate that the draft got moved to the weekend when I could watch. Only the unemployed and students can afford to get up at 7 AM Central to watch the draft like my friends and I did in college back in the day.

But Thursday night for the first round is ridiculous. Friday night was bad enough. Tough to have a guys draft watching party on Friday evening than on Saturday at 11 AM.

jklowan
03-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Hate it

vince
03-28-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure it makes a difference either way to equalize much. Every team has the work put in by draft time, so maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how a bit more time assessing the first round is going to change or equalize much. It creates more time to make trades, but seeng how TT is a guy who really likes to take and make calls during the draft, this may help him as well.

Lurker64
03-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Better than the last format (rounds 3-7 on one day is ridiculous), and worse than the one prior to it (rounds 1-3 on day one, rounds 4-7 on day two).

All in all, I'll call it a wash.

MJZiggy
03-28-2010, 01:57 PM
They changed the draft format?

Joemailman
03-28-2010, 01:59 PM
I like the fact that the 1st round is in prime time so I can watch the whole thing. I would prefer Fri-Sun over Thu-Sat, but I think this is an improvement. Could be a lot of wheeling and dealing on Thursday Night-Friday before the 2nd round starts.

red
03-28-2010, 02:04 PM
i think they should get rid of the draft order and the time in between picks

i would make it a free for all

one center console in the middle of a room with with 32 push buttons (like on the price is right). you then have 32 table set up in a circle around this center console 40 yards away.

the big board will ring when its time for the first pick. each team is allowed two "runners". one runs towards the center booth to hit the button, the other can be used as a blocker or attacker to take out other runners.

the first runner to hit his button get to make a selection. only after the selection is made will the bell ring again to allow the runners for the next selection.

a runner that attempts to reach the button but is beaten out will have to return to their table before being allowed in the next selection

each team is allowed one pick in each round. and no subs for runners are allowed. if your runner gets hurt or taken out by another runner, you're shit out of luck

Fritz
03-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Some Initial Thoughts

B. I consider TT one of the more organized GM's who map and the plan and stick to it

3. I think the new format may help more trades occur. Teams will remap out their needs/wishes after round one, and round two and can communicate with other teams after those two nights. It will be easier for them to get a feel for who they can and can not make a deal with........more excitement !!

4. I heard TIM TEBOW is going to attend this draft. Great Guy; I'd take him on my team any day....but he'll the the ESPN Posterboy of the guy who's slipping and falling....and him being there still in round two will GREATLY help the ESPN ratings on night two of the draft.

How cutthroat is the NFL to invite the very guy most people think will be that "slipping and falling" guy so we can all watch him squirm as his name doesn't get called?

Cruel. I hope he gets taken about 29th overall. Serve ESPN right.

Lurker64
03-28-2010, 03:01 PM
They changed the draft format?

Yes. This next draft will have Round 1 on thursday, April 22 starting at 6:30 p.m. CT, rounds 2 and 3 on friday, April 23 starting at at 5 p.m. CT, and Rounds 4-7 on saturday, April 24 at 9 a.m. CT.

I'd say this is an improvement over the previous format, but it's not ideal.

If I could change anything, I'd say that 5 PM is way too early for round 2 to start on a weekday, and either have that start later, or shift the draft to a Friday Night, Saturday afternoon, Sunday all-day format.

wpony
03-28-2010, 03:22 PM
TT is a good drafter in in the current system because he is quick witted and knows what he wants going in to the draft now lets see if he out thinks himself into poor picks

sheepshead
03-28-2010, 03:23 PM
The most overrated event in all of sports has taken another step to absurdity.

swede
03-28-2010, 03:43 PM
i think they should get rid of the draft order and the time in between picks

i would make it a free for all

one center console in the middle of a room with with 32 push buttons (like on the price is right). you then have 32 table set up in a circle around this center console 40 yards away.

the big board will ring when its time for the first pick. each team is allowed two "runners". one runs towards the center booth to hit the button, the other can be used as a blocker or attacker to take out other runners.

the first runner to hit his button get to make a selection. only after the selection is made will the bell ring again to allow the runners for the next selection.

a runner that attempts to reach the button but is beaten out will have to return to their table before being allowed in the next selection

each team is allowed one pick in each round. and no subs for runners are allowed. if your runner gets hurt or taken out by another runner, you're shit out of luck

Nice thinking, but it's a little XFL for the prime time audience.

The ladies in the 18-25 demographic want a chance to vote more than once, like they did in Presidential elections when they were in college.

Spam in as many votes as you can for your favorite player in the fifteen minute voting period, and each vote will cost a dollar to be used toward a signing bonus.

ND72
03-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Hate it with a passion. In college we had annual draft parties, and that became our only time when my college buddies made a yearly attempt to get together on that saturday and sunday. This is the first year since 1998 we haven't gotten together for the draft.

I understand we still could, but the "fun" was waking up at like 7am on draft morning, turn on the espn radio, check out the latest rumors, drive up to appleton, sit and cook up as many 'fish stories' about the draft we could bullshit our way through, and then it was draft time. It's a great mans weekend that the NFL is taking away.

ND72
03-28-2010, 04:27 PM
"We've got a lot of marketing and entertaining ideas that I think we are going to implement over those three days." - Roger Goddell

I just want draft stuff...tell me about teams and players, I don't want marketing ideas.

channtheman
03-28-2010, 05:09 PM
Some Initial Thoughts

I thought that number 4 was partly the reason they changed it. Now when they know a guy like Tebow won't be drafted in the first round, he can go for round 2 where he will more likely be drafted. He's a big name that the NFL would LOVE to have at the draft, it is just very unlikely that he would ever be picked in the top 15 picks. With the new format, he can attend the draft and be picked around where he should be picked.

channtheman
03-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Hate it with a passion. In college we had annual draft parties, and that became our only time when my college buddies made a yearly attempt to get together on that saturday and sunday. This is the first year since 1998 we haven't gotten together for the draft.

I understand we still could, but the "fun" was waking up at like 7am on draft morning, turn on the espn radio, check out the latest rumors, drive up to appleton, sit and cook up as many 'fish stories' about the draft we could bullshit our way through, and then it was draft time. It's a great mans weekend that the NFL is taking away.

Agree totally with you. Over the last 4 or 5 years, my dad and I have really enjoyed having a guys weekend and watching the draft. Half the fun was getting up early and just sitting on your ass with your laptop in front of you all day researching all the players picked. Then you'd come back Sunday and do it again.

Maxie the Taxi
03-28-2010, 07:05 PM
I think the best way to increase the ratings of the thing is to imitate the drama in the Oscars and the Miss America contests, where they save the top winner for last.

Thus, they should start by drafting pick #255 first and then work their way up to #1 which would be the very last choice on the very last day!

mission
03-28-2010, 07:06 PM
I don't like it at all. For my own inconvenience purposes especially...

Maybe TT will make some magic happen... who knows.

And red - that shit is comedy central, made me lulz :D

pittstang5
03-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Great thread starter Bretsky, I've been pissed about the new format and have been wanting to vent for a long time about it.

I absolutely dispise this new format. Draft day was a huge BBQ, party all day and night deal at my home. I had a ton of peaple come over: Huge NFL fans and even your average "watch a game sometime fan." Everyone always had a good time. So many have asked me, "When's the draft party?" Then I tell them the format and they too think it's stupid. I guess we might have something on that Saturday...but it's not the same.

Now, I'll be lucky if I catch half of the first round due to having it at night...some of us have jobs and need a good nights sleep in order to function correctly at those jobs.

Also, if I miraculously am able to stay up and see the Packers pick, what if TT trades down or even out of the first round?

wist43
03-28-2010, 08:24 PM
We live in an era in which recording an event that we can't be there to watch is entirely too easy... so it really doesn't matter.

I can remember the first draft I really went out of my way to watch... I believe it was 1984. All of this is "fuzzy memory"... w/o taking the time to verify :D

1984... Packers picked 4th as I remember... think it was a weekday, as I remember having to be to work... but I made excuses to wait around until GB's pick - Brent Fullwood... was late to work :D

In previous years, I remember only occassionally being able to pick it up on the radio..

Other than that... it was the next days newspaper :D

Wow... 26 years ago, where does the time go???

digitaldean
03-28-2010, 08:56 PM
I do not like all the meddling Goodell has been doing lately. The draft is the biggest one.

Having it on a Saturday was absolutely perfect for me. I and my Cowboy-loving buddy would often share some brews and commiserate or heckle each others picks.

Now with it being so chopped up, what a cluster! Thanks Rodge!

Joemailman
03-28-2010, 09:34 PM
For me it's better this way because I work most Saturdays, so I used to miss much of the 1st round. I get what people are saying about not wanting to see it get so broken up though.

On the bright side, we'll have all day Sunday to analyze what happened! Of course, so will ESPN and NFL Network, which is probably part of the reason for the change.

Lurker64
03-28-2010, 09:40 PM
I think breaking it up this much isn't necessarily a bad idea. In terms of the draft, there's definitely going to be a lot more wheeling and dealing at the top of the second and at the top of the fourth than there was previously. Since trades and deals for draft picks tend to get done overnight, whether that's a good thing or a bad thing I don't know.

pbmax
03-28-2010, 10:34 PM
The most overrated event in all of sports has taken another step to absurdity.
The NHL regular season is another message board entirely Sheep.

pbmax
03-28-2010, 10:41 PM
Someone reported that the NFL will not require the invited draftees to stay in the Green Room. I would imagine they will be across the street at the library. Or chasing Suzy Kolber around.

ThunderDan
03-29-2010, 11:01 AM
I don't care. I don't watch the draft and wont this year either. Too much time F-ing around between picks that I care about (Packer picks).

I go online and check who the Packers get the next day.

MadScientist
03-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Just get the damn thing over and done with. They are stretching this thing out to be as long as the NBA playoffs.

MichiganPackerFan
03-29-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't really care for the new format. I typically watch the first round, keep an eye on the second, loosely monitor the third and fourth on my blackberry and find out what happened in the rest the next day online when Im trying to 1) track all of TT's trades and 2) trying to find out who the hell the players we drafted are.

RashanGary
03-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Personally, I like it. For the Packers, I don't. TT is one of the most prepared, confident GMs in the NFL on draft day from my perception. I think the faster and more hectic, the better for Ted. I don't think a nights rest does anything for his board. Mike Sherman now, a guy who was overwhelmed, I think he would benefit greatly from being able to catch is breath, get organized and talk with his staff.

TennesseePackerBacker
03-29-2010, 01:09 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this one way or another. Just kind of have to take a wait and see approach. On one hand, me and my buddies used to spend draft day Saturday grilling out, drinking, and playing cornhole while watching and listening to the whole thing.

Now, it looks like I'll be taking a final exam that Thursday night, possibly catching my friends out at the bar for the Packers pick. Friday night will be just as uneventful. One of my friends might organize a 2nd round party night, but really, I'd much rather be going out on a Friday night then watching the 2nd round of the NFL draft.

I don't think we'll see this new format kept, but you never know, maybe this is all aimed toward catching viewers in the younger and older age brackets. Leaving people 24-40's generally screwed.

CaliforniaCheez
03-29-2010, 05:43 PM
1) What will ESPN do?

a. Spend all day Friday interviewing the first round picks. We can get Suzy Kolber to ask everyone of of them "How does it feel to be a first round pick?" They can get that all out of the way and cover the current selections better.

or

b. They can now spend 4 days talking about the 1st round picks and ignoring the rest of the draft while they do "analysis" and commercials.

2) Being a West Coast person the draft starts Thursday at 4 pm. Then again Friday afternoon. Then why start so late on Saturday? It is all messed up.

3) NFL network could really trounce ESPN in the ratings if they make the effort. More facts and analysis and no Suzy Kolber asking a coach or GM how it feels to add their first round pick to the team.

4) Changes I would like to make.

a. The first team to pick gets 5 minutes. After a whole offseason they ought to know what they are going to do. The networks can have their introductions, the commisioner's remarks and a commercial in and get right to the first pick.

b. The rest of the first round can have up to 12 minutes between picks.

c. Have the first round on Friday Night. Have rounds 2 and 3 on Saturday and start Saturday 9 am Eastern instead of Noon.

d. Allow 9 or 10 minutes to select in the second round and 7 or 8 minutes in round three. First pick on Saturday gets 5 minutes because they had all night to talk deals. That allows Saturday Night for some analysis time.

e. 4th through 7th round on Sunday. The first pick of the day gets 3 minutes every other pick gets 5 minutes.

5) I bet the NFL learns from it's mistakes and changes the format next year.

6) The worst thing they could do is have the first round Monday night. 2nd round Tuesday night. 3rd round Wednesday night. 4th round Thursday Night. 5th round Friday night and 6th and 7th round on Saturday.

Bretsky
03-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Personally, I like it. For the Packers, I don't. TT is one of the most prepared, confident GMs in the NFL on draft day from my perception. I think the faster and more hectic, the better for Ted. I don't think a nights rest does anything for his board. Mike Sherman now, a guy who was overwhelmed, I think he would benefit greatly from being able to catch is breath, get organized and talk with his staff.

DITTO

Actually you just explained one of the points I was trying to make better than I could

CaliforniaCheez
03-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Somebody mentioned listening on the radio.

My local sports station stopped carrying the draft on the radio years ago. I have to listen to the Packer Radio network to get it. That means WTMJ.

Fortunately the Brewers have a day game on the 22nd.

But Friday Night they have a Brewers game at 7 pm CDT. If they do a pregame I will miss out on Friday night commentary on the draft.

Saturday the Brewers play at 6pm CDT. So I will miss some of the late picks on the internet radio.

WTMJ doesn't have any information on what they are going to do about the draft. Any suggestions?

Joemailman
03-29-2010, 06:27 PM
3) NFL network could really trounce ESPN in the ratings if they make the effort. More facts and analysis and no Suzy Kolber asking a coach or GM how it feels to add their first round pick to the team.

ESPN could crush NFL Network if they use Erin Andrews instead of Suzy Kolber.