PDA

View Full Version : NEW WCO - Fills Favre With Optimism

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 09:53 AM
NOTE :

I posted this yesterday (last evening) on the Brett Favre News Conference thread - but felt it should stand by itself. I apologize to those of you that disagree with my decision.

http://www.packers.com/news/stories/2006/07/31/2/]

McCarthy's Version Of West Coast Offense Fills Favre With Optimism

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com
posted 07/31/2006

Brett Favre may not be able to feel 10 years younger, but he indicated Monday he's going to be running an offense that more closely resembles the one he ran a decade ago.

At his first training camp news conference, Favre said Mike McCarthy's version of the West Coast offense feels a lot like the one Mike Holmgren ran here earlier in his career, with a greater emphasis on short passes and careful selection of when to go for the big play.

"I think we will go down the field, but I think we're reverting back more to when Holmgren was coaching and that philosophy is the 3- and 4-yard passes are like runs," Favre said.

"If you get a 40-yard touchdown pass or run, that's a bonus. They will come, but they only come if you continue to get first downs, so don't try to bite off too much initially. You pick your spots and matchups to take those chances."

Favre didn't specifically say so, but that sounds like an offense that should reduce the career-high 29 interceptions he threw in 2005.

He said he's perfectly willing to "play the percentages," and with that mindset is an optimism about the players around him who can help the offense reach that level of execution.

Favre recognized the offensive line is the biggest unknown, with two rookies in Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz potentially starting at guard and another young player in Scott Wells starting at center. But that doesn't make him second-guess his decision to come back in 2006 any more than the sore ankles, feet and hips he feels when he gets up in the morning.

Favre likes what he sees in running back Ahman Green, even though he hasn't practiced yet.

"He looks as good as he's ever looked, and there's no doubt he has a chip on his shoulder," Favre said. "He wants to play even better than he has in the past."

He's also excited about his tight ends, calling the addition of Donald Lee "a gem" to go with a healthy Bubba Franks and David Martin. The possibilities with that group also had him thinking about the Packers offense of the mid-1990s.

"It reminds me a little bit of 'Chewy' (Mark Chmura) and Keith Jackson and how we were able to use those guys and spread the field," Favre said.

At receiver, Favre knows what he has in Donald Driver, and though he's not worried about whether his No. 2 target ends up being Robert Ferguson, Rod Gardner, rookie Greg Jennings, or any of the other receivers in camp, he put the onus on all the contenders to seize the opportunity.

"The competition is there for our guys to step up," Favre said. "History has shown the ball will be thrown to you. There's a lot of touchdowns to be caught, so you have to be eager if you're one of our pass-catchers."

Favre is particular intrigued by Jennings, the second-round draft choice out of Western Michigan. In describing that receivers reveal very quickly whether they "have it" or don't, Favre said Jennings just may have it.

"Just watching him, I can see why he had success in college and I can also see maybe why he was overlooked," Favre said. "Sometimes size and speed play such a big part in decisions from NFL teams that you overlook the intangibles. Can he get open? Can he catch? Can he catch in traffic?

"Some of those things remain to be seen, but I feel like he's kind of a natural at what he does."

Time will tell whether the new components combined with the old philosophy can help make up for eight losses by a touchdown or less in 2005. Favre is certainly optimistic, praising the level of talent on the team but qualifying that with how unproven and inexperienced that talent is.

"It really is going to come down to guys making plays," he said. "No one really is ever wide open in pro football. There's not really any big holes to run through, and I don't see that changing. So it's going to come down to guys making tough plays.

"That's what this game is all about....It comes down to one or two plays, that's all. Those one or two plays can make you 4-12, 8-8, 10-6, whatever."
GO PACKERS !

BF4MVP
08-01-2006, 10:39 AM
It's good to see Favre is optimistic, although he always is.

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 11:02 AM
More Jason Wilde

Packers: Favre tosses a curveball

Written by Jason Wilde - Wisconsin State Journal
Tuesday, 01 August 2006

GREEN BAY - The minute he said it, you wondered what could have prompted such an outlandish statement.
"I really feel," Brett Favre said Monday, four days into his 16th NFL training camp, "like this is the most talented team that I've been a part of."

What?

Was he suffering from heatstroke? No, because Monday's practice - with a heat index of 111 degrees - hadn't started yet.

Was he getting senile in his old age? No, because while he may be old in football years - 36, turning 37 Oct. 10 - he's still the same sharp-witted guy he's always been.

Had he started drinking again? No, because he swears he doesn't touch the stuff - not a drop of alcohol in years - and so the strongest beverage he had Monday was probably Gatorade.

That left only two possibilities: Favre really believes this incredibly young team is going to be good, or after going all-in and postponing retirement for another year to return for his 15th season as the Green Bay Packers' quarterback, he's trying to convince himself it won't be as bad as many others think it will.

Favre really did call this team more talented than the 1995 team that lost the NFC Championship game to Dallas, the 1996 team that won Super Bowl XXXI, the 1997 team that lost Super Bowl XXXII to Denver, and the 2003 team that was a fourth-and-26 away from the NFC title game.

Speaking during his first news conference of training camp, Favre also admitted during the 30-minute Q&A he's feeling his age - especially in his feet, ankles and hips - and said the only time he second-guesses his decision to come back is when he gets up in the morning feeling excruciatingly sore.

But it was that one line that dumbfounded those in the Lambeau Field media auditorium.

After all, the Packers are not only coming off a 4-12 season - their first losing season since Favre took over in 1992 - but 54 of the 90 players on the roster are rookies, first- or second-year players.

In fairness to Favre, he did immediately add a caveat to his pronouncement, that the Packers are "the most unproven, inexperienced team that I've ever played on," too, but he stood by his initial statement even after practice.

His reasoning? That key components of the '96 team like journeyman left tackle Bruce Wilkerson and midseason add-on receiver Andre Rison weren't as talented as the players he has today, just savvier and more NFL-experienced.

"They're more talented than those guys (were)," Favre said. "I think the teams that win are not always the most talented. It's the ones who are experienced, or play like they're experienced."

Several players asked about Favre's assertion were clearly surprised. Two said there was no way they'd comment on it. Others chose their words carefully.

"That's a pretty big statement, but ... he may feel like that. There's nothing wrong with feeling like that," wide receiver Donald Driver said. "That '96 team was a great team. But there is a lot of talent on this team. There is."

Added right tackle Mark Tauscher: "Obviously when you hear Brett talk, he's got his opinion. You take it for what it is. If he believes it, that's ... good. Just from a pure physical talent standpoint - guys running 40s, vertical jumping - if that's what he means by talent, then he may be right. What does that mean playing football? That's what we're going to have to find out. Because experience and toughness and being productive, that's what it's all about."

It's not the first time Favre has made a bold training-camp statement - remember his "Super Bowl or bust" remark from 2004? - but it was particularly shocking because this offseason, Favre criticized general manager Ted Thompson in April for not being more aggressive in free agency.

"I'm always optimistic. Always," said Favre, who is coming off the worst season of his career, in which he threw a career-high and NFL-most 29 interceptions and had a career-low passer rating of 70.9. "What was so disappointing last season was that I had spoiled myself, because I thought that as long as I was the starting quarterback, we would always have a chance.

"That wasn't the case last year ... (but) I am optimistic this year. I know that if we have everyone healthy, or if we had everyone healthy last year, it would have been a different story."

Favre is dealing with a sore left ankle, the one he injured at Minnesota in November 1995 that later required surgery. He said he "didn't want to make a big deal out of it," but also admitted that "it doesn't feel good."

Asked whether he second-guesses his decision to come back for another year, Favre replied, "If there's ever any second-guessing, it's because I wake up like this morning. I'm like, 'What am I doing?' It feels like I've got glass in my shoes.

"My arm feels great. The rest of my body feels like I've been playing for 16 years."

In practice Monday, his arm didn't look so great. Favre threw five interceptions - three to cornerback Charles Woodson, one to Ahmad Carroll and one to safety Marviel Underwood - during the 11-on-11 and 7-on-7 periods.

"Brett is a living legend. That goes without saying. And we're going to take him - good with bad," Woodson said. "We're going to rally behind him no matter what. He's the vet on the team. Besides him, there's me, maybe a couple others with 8, 9, 10 years (of experience), and then him with 16. That's whose lead we're going to follow, and wherever he takes us, that's where we're going."

Tony Oday
08-01-2006, 11:35 AM
"Brett is a living legend. That goes without saying. And we're going to take him - good with bad," Woodson said. "We're going to rally behind him no matter what. He's the vet on the team. Besides him, there's me, maybe a couple others with 8, 9, 10 years (of experience), and then him with 16. That's whose lead we're going to follow, and wherever he takes us, that's where we're going."

Woody say it aint so it sounds like you are maturing as a NFL player!!!! I love it!