PDA

View Full Version : REGGIE WHITE - MIXED FAITH AND FOOTBALL

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 09:57 AM
REGGIE WHITE - MIXED FAITH AND FOOTBALL

By ARNIE STAPLETON

http://xd1.xanga.com/fc4a8723c3c3769771666/z46891975.jpg

Reggie White was one of the few truly great athletes who transformed his game and changed the people around him.

"Where do we begin? Great player, great person, great teammate," Brett Favre said as he reflected on the legacy of his friend who will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday, a final, fitting tribute to the most honored and perhaps most feared defensive end in NFL history. "It goes without saying that he's deserving of this, and just a shame he passed this young."

White, who suffered from sleep apnea and sarcoidosis, died a little more than 18 months ago at age 43. When news of his stunning death reached Mike Holmgren in Seattle, the man who helped lure the Minister of Defense from Philadelphia to Green Bay in the biggest free-agent move in league history, said simply: "I am a better person for having been around Reggie White."

Amen to that, said LeRoy Butler. "A lot of leaders wait until you get to the locker room to lead," Butler said. "Not Reggie. He'd go to your house if he had to. You never needed to go looking for Reggie. He came to you."

ahaha
08-01-2006, 11:11 AM
From everything I've read it seems that White was a truly good person. Loved by teamates, coaches, fans and opposing players. I loved rooting for him, but something that always bothered me was his constant comments about giving all the glory to God, and how he wanted to win a Super Bowl to help spread his Cristian message. I hate it when atheletes do this. They might as well come out and say "I'm so awesome, because God loves me more than you."
Remarkably, White came to realize this near the end of his life. In one of his last interviews he expressed regret for insinuating God wanted him to succeed for his glory. He felt he had been too prideful. There are plenty of good people that don't succeed in sports. God, if there is one, doesn't give a shit about who wins or loses.
In that interview he also talked about how he was learning the Hebrew language, in an attempt to better understand the ancient Jewish writings. He saw the mistakes many of his minister friends made in interpreting these texts in their many translated forms. He took a lot of critisism, from former friends and colleagues, for this. I gained a lot of respect for White after seeing this. It takes a lot of character to admit when you're wrong. IMHO it seems like he was a good example of what a Christian man is SUPPOSED to be...humble, forgiving, and loving.

GBRulz
08-01-2006, 12:35 PM
I think Reggie was really good about making people feel good about themselves. He can spread the Christian word all he wants, unless a person wants to become a better person themselves, the point is moot.

What I didn't agree with is when he used the Packers to spread his religion. He has done this through ads in the newspaper and interviews. I also feel that he never gave the people who donated money for his church that burned down in TN a fair explanation as to what happened to all that money?

Reggie was a tremendous talent and I'm so glad he came to GB. He def was a huge factor in winning a SB. I will always be grateful that he played here, but that is what I will remember him by, a player first, not a messenger of God.

woodbuck27
08-01-2006, 02:09 PM
I think Reggie was really good about making people feel good about themselves. He can spread the Christian word all he wants, unless a person wants to become a better person themselves, the point is moot.

What I didn't agree with is when he used the Packers to spread his religion. He has done this through ads in the newspaper and interviews. I also feel that he never gave the people who donated money for his church that burned down in TN a fair explanation as to what happened to all that money?

Reggie was a tremendous talent and I'm so glad he came to GB. He def was a huge factor in winning a SB. I will always be grateful that he played here, but that is what I will remember him by, a player first, not a messenger of God.

Yes !! - Certainly GBRulz.