PDA

View Full Version : Quarterbacks in the Draft

Fritz
04-02-2010, 07:23 AM
Okay, people, there's been much speculation that Thompson's going to take a flyer on another developmental QB this year. And that would make sense. Flynn is going into his third year - he'd better be able to be the solid #2 guy by now. This means the team doesn't need to sign any 43 year old career backup crustaceans. So a QB in the draft seems likely.

But who? McCarthy was out scouting and looked at, among others, Colt McCoy.

I am not a McCoy fan. First of all, I think any success he's had is simply because of his name. If my name was "Colt McCoy," I'd probably be getting laid every night, and people in the streets would walk up to me and just give me money for having such a cool name.

Secondly I just don't think he's all that good. Often, to me, the game seemed to big for the guy - at least the big games.

But, being the typical fan I am, there is a guy I like. The Stanford QB. Why do I like him? Because I saw three highlight throws he made on ESPN during last season. A gun for an arm and a cool in the pocket. So he's my guy, based on three throws I've seen. Even though I don't even know who he is.

But whom do you see the Packers maybe taking a flyer on in the mid or later rounds? Any prospects out there? Or is this a poopy year for QB's?

billy_oliver880
04-02-2010, 10:44 AM
I guess Tim Hiller out of Western Michigan. Just cause Thompson never picks anyone we know. :lol:

TennesseePackerBacker
04-02-2010, 10:55 AM
Jevan Snead....if he even gets drafted

Brandon494
04-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Jevan Snead....if he even gets drafted

+1, I could see TT taking Snead i nthe 5th or 6th round. As for Colt McCoy I agree I don't see him doing well in the NFL, he reminds me of Brady Quinn.

Fritz
04-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Is this Snead that Stanford QB?

And maybe the Western guy, yes - because Ted does seem to have a pipeline to some schools. Western, Lousiville - especially in later rounds. Or at least a pipeline to some not-so-highly-regarded conferences.

Ah, hell. I don't know what I'm talking about.

Fritz
04-02-2010, 11:59 AM
I think the Stanford kid's name is Alex Loukas. But he's back at Stanford for his senior year, I think.

Looked sharp on them three passes I saw, though.

Freak Out
04-02-2010, 12:29 PM
He probably signs an undrafted QB or two but I don't think he takes a QB in the draft this year. Will the Western Michigan guy get picked in the draft?

TennesseePackerBacker
04-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Snead was QB for Ole Miss and came out a year early. He had a phenomenal sophmore Cotton bowl game and followed it up with a crappy performance this past year.

No one knows why he came out so early but I saw an article stating the Sneads took the advice of McShay saying he should come out early, and the pro scouts didnt agree. I think it was on PFT.

You need to get out of Big 11 country when it comes to college football Fritz. Real college football is played in the south.

HarveyWallbangers
04-02-2010, 04:35 PM
I don't know much after the top four QBs, but I may be in the minority in that I like Colt McCoy the most. I don't like Claussen. Maybe it's because Quinn did poorly, and so did the other Claussen (Jeff Brohm and Brian Brohm, come to mind). It's mostly due to a sort of shot put windup he has. Bradford looks frail to me. He also looks like a QB that gets easily rattled. McCoy might be the only top four QB that I like. I have doubts about Tebow--although I think it would be intriguing to see what McCarthy could do with him.

RashanGary
04-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Tim Tebow intrigues the hell out of me. He's a similar player to Vince Young. Maybe, physically, Young was a little more gifted, but Tebow seems to have his head on straight and is a hard nosed competitor.

Call me crazy, but I think Tebow could be a good quarterback. I think he'd be the type of QB, you'd have to have two good ones because you know he can't last forever running as much as he does.

I wouldn't be shocked if Tebow went in the top 20. I just have a feeling someone is going to love him.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Tim Tebow intrigues the hell out of me. He's a similar player to Vince Young. Maybe, physically, Young was a little more gifted, but Tebow seems to have his head on straight and is a hard nosed competitor.

Call me crazy, but I think Tebow could be a good quarterback. I think he'd be the type of QB, you'd have to have two good ones because you know he can't last forever running as much as he does.

I wouldn't be shocked if Tebow went in the top 20. I just have a feeling someone is going to love him.

He's a natural born leader. That's just an intangible you can't measure.

Fritz
04-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Snead was QB for Ole Miss and came out a year early. He had a phenomenal sophmore Cotton bowl game and followed it up with a crappy performance this past year.

No one knows why he came out so early but I saw an article stating the Sneads took the advice of McShay saying he should come out early, and the pro scouts didnt agree. I think it was on PFT.

You need to get out of Big 11 country when it comes to college football Fritz. Real college football is played in the south.

Lane Kiffin.

Zool
04-02-2010, 10:08 PM
Bradford looks frail to me.

I thought that too, but I saw some of the footage from his pro day. He's up to about 230 they said. He looks a lot stronger than he ever did at OK. He's just so accurate with the ball that StL has to take a chance on him.

TennesseePackerBacker
04-03-2010, 12:23 AM

Lane Kiffin.

Even Jesus couldn't spot Judas.

I know it's a good joke, but imagine what die-hard UT fans went through in the last 2 years. Speaking of UT. Jonathan Crompton will be a late round QB. Hopefully Ted doesn't pick him :( . Jim Chaney did a masterful job in recognizing the kid could only read half the field at a time and coaching that up. Crompton went from not a sniff to late round draft pick.

Brandon494
04-03-2010, 01:24 AM
Sam Bradford= Eli Manning
Jimmy Classen = Joe Flacco
Colt McCoy= Brady Quinn
Tim Tebow = Really can't compare him to anyone but don't see him doing much in the NFL.

packrulz
04-03-2010, 06:00 AM
TT picked up Chris Pizzotti from Harvard to be the 3rd string QB, so I don't think he plans on drafting a QB. Coming from Harvard, he has to be smart, he was successful in college, has good size, a good arm, and once M3 takes him to his QB school he could turn out to be pretty good, maybe better than Flynn.

Overview
Blessed with an athletic frame, the 6-foot-5 Pizzotti left his mark in the Harvard and Ivy League record books, as he was one of only a handful of players to take part in three Ivy League Championships. The 2008 Walter Payton Award finalist has great patience and poise in the pocket, as he ranked among the nation's leaders for fewest interceptions thrown over the past two years (eight). He would close out his Crimson career with a 20-2 record as the team's starting quarterback.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/chris-pizzotti?id=89780#profiles-tabs:players-overview

Bretsky
04-03-2010, 07:15 AM
I don't know much after the top four QBs, but I may be in the minority in that I like Colt McCoy the most. I don't like Claussen. Maybe it's because Quinn did poorly, and so did the other Claussen (Jeff Brohm and Brian Brohm, come to mind). It's mostly due to a sort of shot put windup he has. Bradford looks frail to me. He also looks like a QB that gets easily rattled. McCoy might be the only top four QB that I like. I have doubts about Tebow--although I think it would be intriguing to see what McCarthy could do with him.

I'm very high on Colt McCoy. I'm not sure more than Bradford, but close. Like him more then Claussen and definitely more than Tebow.

As you know.....I'm a fan of many teams and have been a RAM fan since the 80's with Pat Haden.

If I was the Rams, I'd trade down...but with no takers, if I was the Rams I'd undoubtedly take the top DL. Then I'd draft Colt McCoy in round two. Or make a deal work for McNabb.

Bretsky
04-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Colt McCoy= Brady Quinn
Tim Tebow = Really can't compare him to anyone but don't see him doing much in the NFL.

Interesting; I might go

Bradford = Eli Manning
Claussen = Quinn
McCoy = Drew Brees but not nearly as good
Tebow = No clue

Fritz
04-03-2010, 08:23 AM
I dunno. I'm not a McCoy fan at all. I think he's more like Doug Pederson.

Brandon494
04-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Colt McCoy= Brady Quinn

Interesting; I might go

Bradford = Eli Manning
Claussen = Quinn
Tebow = No clue

Just wondering why Claussen reminds you of Quinn? Besides for playing at ND their games are very different.

Bretsky
04-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Colt McCoy= Brady Quinn

Interesting; I might go

Bradford = Eli Manning
Claussen = Quinn
Tebow = No clue

Just wondering why Claussen reminds you of Quinn? Besides for playing at ND their games are very different.

Claussen/Quinn-

Both had very good coaching in college compared to the norm and that allowed them to look pretty good to step in and run a pro style offense
Neither seems to be a natural leader and my perception is both still have growing up they do....that hopefully will allow them to see some NFL success

ND72
04-03-2010, 10:23 AM
I am a Claussen fan, just as I still am a Quinn fan. The thing with both of them is you HAVE/HAD to pull an Aaron Rodgers with them. If you have ever read a lot of Rodgers stuff, he talks a lot about how those first couple of years were a huge ego check for him, and I think both of them need that as well. Sit their butts down, make them study and learn.

If a team allows Claussen to play this year, it will be a huge mistake.

And I do think Quinn will be ok in Denver. Their coach is QB guy, he will help him a lot..and lets face it, Quinn was in Cleveland. I'm not saying he's going to be the next Rodgers, but I think Quinn can still become very good.